Fear 2 demo stutter?

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
For those of you who have played the demo, do you notice any points where the fps just drops down like 10-20fps for less than a second than pops right back up? I'm running the demo at 1680 x 1050 with all maxed 4xaa settings and outdoors I get about 90fps but then all of a sudden it drops to 55 or so for a split second then goes back. IIs this just me?

BTW, might as well through this out there. The demo is really amazing IMO. The sense of fear *no pun intended* is well played out through their great atmosphere and the sound. I can't wait to pick this game up.

Mine completely freezes in parts, almost the entire time the fps will be very very smooth and then it will just stop, then 1-2 seconds later continue. I checked the HD to see if it was swapping at the time but theres no activity on it, so it cant be that. I also tried lowering the graphics but it did nothing either. Never happens in a fight though so whilst it was distracting it wasnt too bad.

Might just be a problem with the game itself then. Well hopefully they will patch this up for the final game. It's kind of annoying. I was just playing with it vsynced and my fps drops to 50 exactly for about a1/2-1 second then goes back up to 60. It's whenever I enter a whole new room or something like that it seems.

I can't even get it to run. I'm on a fairly loaded Vista 64 Home Premium System. The demo installed normally but when I go to run it, even as admin, I see it launch up and then CTD with the ever fateful "Fear 2 Demo has stopped working message."

Not a promising start here.

EDIT: Fixed. I had to re-enable a few codecs and restart my machine. All is well now. :)

I have those freezes too, it reminds me the fps drops between fire fights in the first fear. Oo

Took me a while to get it going. Had to pause my Folding@Home service and then it ran like butter.

But yeah, I had the same 1-second stutters every now and then on Win7 x64.

Maxed settings at 1920x1200.

I have it here, too. It freezes for a second at most and then continues on as if nothing happened. It's very annoying and I really hope the final game isn't plagued with it.

Anyone try setting it to one cpu core? After you start the game get to the task manager go to the process and set affinity to 1 core. I haven't tried it yet, maybe a SMP issue though

I just tried setting it to only 1 core and same thing. It seems like something is loading in the background. I have no idea whats going on but I hope they fix it.

Apparently the pauses come from the autosave feature that saves for some reason every few seconds (especially on hard mode).

Pretty sure this stuttering was also on the PS3 videos

PS3 actually have worse stutter problem, and constantly stutter..

PC it just stop for a sec and starts again within a sec, PS3 stutter with lag through out the game which is totally irrelevant and unacceptable...

its probably the game engine. all the FEAR games did it a little bit though ironically the original FEAR has the least amount and its almost unnoticeable in it. Perseus Mandate has it the worst of the other three games and it seems like its actually something to do with the audio that cause it. I removed the sound file from Perseus mandate and the normally easily reproducible hitching was gone albeit with no sound of course. putting the sound file back in brought the hitching back right at the same trigger points. maybe with all the spruced up graphics the problem is even worse now. between Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 I have about given up on even big titles running smooth anymore.

I get those stutters once in a while. It's not too bad. I didn't have any in the middle of a fight or anything. Nothing game breaking. It is annoying though.

Apparently the pauses come from the autosave feature that saves for some reason every few seconds (especially on hard mode).

Could be, as i never noticed it pausing when i was in a fight or action, it would have been nice if they left a message in the screen saying "Saving" or something, otherwise it looks like a performance issue.

Could be, as i never noticed it pausing when i was in a fight or action, it would have been nice if they left a message in the screen saying "Saving" or something, otherwise it looks like a performance issue.
it hitches sometimes 5 or 6 times in a row so its not just the autosave causing it.

I finally got it downloaded, awesome so far, I only experience a hitch for a slit second from leaving one section to the next so I would assume its the autosave feature for me. Otherwise not a single stutter to complain about, but I'm using 2x320gig Raid 0 drives for the game install and then the autosave is probably on my 64gig SSD W7k drive. Loading the level takes a bit (like 45sec to a minute :( )

I only got as far as the bus before it killed me so far :(

I finally got a fast link from here:
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c6311/FEAR 2 SP Demo.exe over 600kbps avg.

Oh, I forgot, using Max everything @ 1600x1200 FSAA 2x, and Anti 2x.

The hitch I can confirm is very annoying, over good game, and i dont like the forced widescreen. Losing a lot of realestate here :(

Hitch here too. Looks like folks with nvidia and/or ati having the same issue...sure does screw up immersion.

Just played through it 1920x1200 with everything cranked on my 8800gt. I was suprised everything played so nice and smoothly. I got one complete pause for about 2 seconds mid way through and that was it.

I get the same freezes or 'stutters' ...happens usually out of combat, almost like it is a auto save feature or somthing, I hope they will fix it tho, because it is annoying. Otherwise, very cool game

I get the same freezes or 'stutters' ...happens usually out of combat, almost like it is a auto save feature or somthing, I hope they will fix it tho, because it is annoying. Otherwise, very cool game

Yep, this is what I think it is since the game uses checkpoints. It just doesn't tell you it's saving a checkpoint like other games, but when you use load last saved it will take you back to the last checkpoint.

Good thought there about the auto save, that makes a lot of sense. I was taken back when I realized that you couldn't save manually and this should have come to mind.

Other than the what we a presuming to be be auto save pauses since it looks like everyone is seeing the problem the game run great and to me is playing just like the original FEAR with updated graphics, which is just what I wanted.

I got a freeze in the middle of taking a sniper shot.... one of several freezes in the first few minutes. That was enough to make me quit.

It's unfortunate too, since the game was FANTASTIC up until that point.

I got a freeze in the middle of taking a sniper shot.... one of several freezes in the first few minutes. That was enough to make me quit.

It's unfortunate too, since the game was FANTASTIC up until that point.

I got a freeze at exactly the same point, the target was like at the top of some kind of marquee so that's definitely making me think that its something like auto saving.

I got a freeze at exactly the same point, the target was like at the top of some kind of marquee so that's definitely making me think that its something like auto saving.

I'm going to download the demo on my Xbox and see if it has the same problem.

I'm really going to be irritated if I have to play such a great game on a console :mad:

Hopefully they have this fixed when the full version comes out... or they at least give us a chance to disable autosaves (if that is the problem).

I'm going to download the demo on my Xbox and see if it has the same problem.

I'm really going to be irritated if I have to play such a great game on a console :mad:

Hopefully they have this fixed when the full version comes out... or they at least give us a chance to disable autosaves (if that is the problem).

I think how big of a problem it is subjective. From what I saw of the demo the problem isn't going to make me not by the game, its was a little annoying but I don't think detracted from the game play except the instance described above with taking the sniper shot, and I still got it off fine.

However if it runs better on an Xbox then I can understand going with that. However I'm console free and will always be. If PC gaming dies I'm just going to stop gaming and save my money for retirement!:D

Runs great for me. e8400, Vx64, 4GBRAM, 8800GTS 320, all settings on max at 1440x900

Yeah...it's probably the autosave. I was thinking "holy crap there is no save" as well :D

Seems the stuttering happens more towards the end of the demo. Sometimes the stutter only a few seconds apart. Running at 2560x1600

The sniper portion was brutal, and thats where I noticed the bulk of my issues. It must be the autosave kicking in. One way is to die right right after the stutter and see if you loaded up at that point in ur respawn

Back