Fear 2 demo stutter?

...Between Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 I have about given up on even big titles running smooth anymore.

Boy you said it. Fallout 3 especially has completely shattered my confidence in buying a big game on day one and having it run without a ton of glitches and bugs.

^ Actually, I run 4 gigs on my rig and a 2gb flash drive with ready boost, and having readyboost enabled it's definitely more seamless with windows 7. There is an occasional slight and I mean slight hitch when moving into new territory in the level, but it's much smoother in transition. No hard, long freeezes here for me. :confused: Definitely more hard stutter without it.

I know people think Readyboost does jack shit, but it does help game loading I've noticed. The cache on the little device makes page file swapping more smooth in my testing.

I know people think Readyboost does jack shit, but it does help game loading I've noticed. The cache on the little device makes page file swapping more smooth in my testing.

So this is on Windows 7? What type of flash drive? Thanks!

Vista/Windows 7 support readyboost. I find it better implemented on 7 however, it really is noticeable. I use a 2GB kingston USB 2.0 flash drive.

Anything really but make sure it's readyboost enabled.

I hope they fix the stutter before retail release, but it was worth playing through it with the stutter. I agree with most of you how it seemed to only happen outside of fights.

I have an X58 system with 6 GB of RAM and the game stutters.

I am sure its a loading/saving function. Let your player die at the part where you stutter, you will respawn directly back at that spot.

Plus, this is no doubt several non-confluent areas taken from more than one level and pasted together to make the demo......so it's choppy.

I recall the original FEAR demo crashed and froze a ton and everybody was hemorrhaging about that as well. The release product was fine.

This game looks really great and I think it will be great fun to play.

I have an X58 system with 6 GB of RAM and the game stutters.

I am sure its a loading/saving function. Let your player die at the part where you stutter, you will respawn directly back at that spot.

Plus, this is no doubt several non-confluent areas taken from more than one level and pasted together to make the demo......so it's choppy.

I recall the original FEAR demo crashed and froze a ton and everybody was hemorrhaging about that as well. The release product was fine.

This game looks really great and I think it will be great fun to play.
its not just a save game stutter. outside there may be several stutters in a row within seconds of each other. also if I just stand outside and face a building and move left and right it hitches horribly.

For me, the game at 1280x1024 with 2x AA stutters just as bad as it does at 1600x1200 2xAA on my 4870 512, Q9300 @ 3.0 Ghz, 8 gigs of ram system. And it stutters too often to just be save points, unless there are a few hundred of them in the demo. Hopefully it is just drivers or an issue that devs will fix prior to retail release. I was going to buy it at release but will not be til I hear this has been fixed. Right now I consider it unplayable.

I agree with the statement above, atleast FEAR 2 came out with a demo.

Yeah definitely a good thing it did. But I can start to see why fewer titles have demos anymore. I was going to buy at release, but will hold off til I hear it is working properly, I wonder how many others will do the same and end up picking it up off the discount rack?

its not just a save game stutter. outside there may be several stutters in a row within seconds of each other. also if I just stand outside and face a building and move left and right it hitches horribly.

I just don't notice that many problems.
I'm sure it's just a demo thing and will be corrected in the release.
I have also run the demo on a single GPU system and don't see as many stutters???

The stutter exists on the Xbox360 as well.

I also thought I'd mention that the 360 has this grotty filter that helps to cover up the low-res textures. The game looks awful on console.

I'm going to hold off on buying the PC version until it's been confirmed that the stutter has been reduced, or eliminated.

edit: People's stutter experience may be skewed based on game difficulty.

If I have some time, I'll try restricting access to the folder containing the autosave files to see if it helps. Hopefully the game tries and fails without writing anything to the drive or crashing out, thus reducing/eliminating the stutter.

The stutter exists on the Xbox360 as well.

I also thought I'd mention that the 360 has this grotty filter that helps to cover up the low-res textures. The game looks awful on console.

I'm going to hold off on buying the PC version until it's been confirmed that the stutter has been reduced, or eliminated.

edit: People's stutter experience may be skewed based on game difficulty.

If I have some time, I'll try restricting access to the folder containing the autosave files to see if it helps. Hopefully the game tries and fails without writing anything to the drive or crashing out, thus reducing/eliminating the stutter.
grotty filter? are you referring to the film grain?

the game has a micro stutter that seems in line with a loading bit... though for me I've not noticed it during combat, so I'm thinking along the lines as a game load or something. It always seems to preclude some event occurring or a big change in the environment.

the game has a micro stutter that seems in line with a loading bit... though for me I've not noticed it during combat, so I'm thinking along the lines as a game load or something. It always seems to preclude some event occurring or a big change in the environment.
thats not what everybody is getting. the stuttering I am see is just outside and it clearly is NOT from loading or auto saves because it does it dozens of times in a row.

Suprised to see this, I was very pleased with how it ran for me. Smooth as silk 1680x1050 all maximum settings with 4x AA. After barely grinding it way through GTA IV I though my system was in need of being replaced but after this I'm feeling like it can go on a while longer.

I'm running Windows 7 x64.

Okay: It is indeed autosaves. I've tested it myself. Also, the readyboost thing doesn't work for me.
So, I will buy PS3 version because of this....stupid autosaves every 30 seconds.

Okay: It is indeed autosaves. I've tested it myself. Also, the readyboost thing doesn't work for me.
So, I will buy PS3 version because of this....stupid autosaves every 30 seconds.
its NOT just the fucking autosaves so please stop saying this crap. I along with several others can get several hitches in a row within seconds of each other outside.

its NOT just the fucking autosaves so please stop saying this crap. I along with several others can get several hitches in a row within seconds of each other outside.

Did I strike a vein? Looks like I did.
It is the "fucking autosaves". I died right after a couple stutters and at each one they were autosaves. Yes, it stutters a bit besides, but the main things ARE autosaves.

Did I strike a vein? Looks like I did.
It is the "fucking autosaves". I died right after a couple stutters and at each one they were autosaves. Yes, it stutters a bit besides, but the main things ARE autosaves.
sorry that wasnt pointed just towards you. I dont stutter anywhere but outside and it hitches and stutters like crazy and it clearly has nothing to do with just save spots.

I played my first game at 2560* 1600 and it was smooth except for I believe those areas that are save related. Pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere in this game. It's riddled with scary corners and ghost/paranormal scenes and that damn girl....she's older now. Bitch!

turn a setting down or something. You might have a resource being bogged down in the back. Every 30 seconds, even if you're exaggerating is too much so I dare say you got something else going on.

The PS3 has the same autosave lag for me, and the frame rate is terrible compared to the PC version imo. Unless the consoles turn down the graphics more in multiplayer, there might as well be no multiplayer.

It's like they decided that consoles were their target market and then designed the game to run on the PC. They're too far in to change the interface to make the target market PC gamers, so the proper thing for them to do would be to release patches for the consoles to optimize the game.

The hitching I had definitely felt like autosaves to me, and yes, there seemed to be several in a row in the part where you emerge into the street area with the sniper. It was the same both times I played through (on normal difficulty).

Funnily enough I reinstalled original FEAR after playing this demo, and I had forgotten it does the same thing, except that it also flashes up the "saving checkpoint" message.

Count me in for stutters as well. I thought the demo was well done, and so far seems to be shaping up better than the first in terms of creepiness. Then again, I never felt that the first one was all that scary.

its hilarious that some of you are saying its just the freaking autosave. unless the autosave is every 2 to 3 feet while being outside then that is NOT the only stuttering. :rolleyes:

Im mind boggled by this. How did they expect everyone to just not realize this problem. I don't mean just on PC, but across all 3 platforms. Then again its Monolith, who in the past has blamed keyboards for performance issues....

Have you not seen the PS3 FEAR 2 videos on Youtube?

On a side note, FEAR2 runs smooth on my 360. I just can't stand controlling with a joystick for aiming.

PC version for me, hopefully the retail release doesn't stutter for as well.

its hilarious that some of you are saying its just the freaking autosave. unless the autosave is every 2 to 3 feet while being outside then that is NOT the only stuttering. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps some of us don't get hitching every 2 to 3 feet and so you're having a different problem :rolleyes:

Or perhaps some of us don't get hitching every 2 to 3 feet and so you're having a different problem :rolleyes:

if you look at the way a lot of people are describing the hitching and stuttering then common sense would tell you thats its not just an autosave feature. also if you could actually comprehend my post, I was saying that there is clearly more than one type of hitching going on. thats why I said for people to stop saying its JUST an autosave problem because its NOT.

Had no problems with the PC demo. Everything worked fine. Saw the shuttering at autosave locations a few times but im sure it will be fixed. will be getting it on PC for sure.

Apparently the pauses come from the autosave feature that saves for some reason every few seconds (especially on hard mode).

yep.. that's when it's saving.. it seems to save your spot quite frequently also.. I am sure this will be improved for final release.. on my machine it was a millisecond pause.. also when I would hit "tab" for a new pda message my sound would loop..

this is an obvious console port from the ground up. it's a decent one, I will say, but that does disappoint me... the game for the most part ran butter smooth on my core i7 3.6ghz sli gtx260 setup with everything maxed at 1920x1080... 4xAA and 16xAF. but it looks washed out and not as crisp as I think it should or could... I think part of this is to make it feel like you are wearing some sort of protective helmet and mask... it makes everything look fuzzy, which I am not a huge fan of.. like watching Minority Report... regardless, the environment was fairly destructive which was nice... one of the best elements of the first FEAR was that you could move just about anything around you.. you know, it's like fun and stuff to blow shit up and generally make a mess of things. Also, the special effects were awesome on this demo... the freaky factor was there for sure... I guess I will pick this up because I am a huge FEAR fan, but I am on the fence kind of..

No.

Because I have the demo.

And it doesn't stutter? I ask only because the first video I saw of this demo was a PS3 demo and it was a stuttering mess. I loaded up the PC demo and was relieved it ran smooth for me. But then I see this thread... what is going on with this game?

Back