Far Cry 6

I'm not hitting anywhere near 8GB VRAM used at 1440p. I'm pretty sure there's nothing to block anyone from downloading it (35ish GB disk space!) or turning it on in the settings.

they made some nice changes to the Assassin's Creed formula starting with Origins but I guess they were content to leave the Far Cry experience relatively the same...new setting, same basic gameplay...I got FC6 for free so I'll be playing either way but I was hoping this would be the best FC game

In general I think those changes sucked. For Far Cry, I hope they keep it an FPS, I don't want them to change genres but it looks like FC6 has RPG mechanics so you can't say they didn't change it up. I'm okay with changes as long as they are the right changes. For most big studios changing the formula = longer, more bloated grinding quests.

Guys . Remember to close or minimize ubi launcher after launching game. I remember in Assassin Creed Oddysey launcher was taking cpu usage.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
For most big studios changing the formula = longer, more bloated grinding quests.
As well as changing the formula = people whining about changing what worked and what they liked -- "don't change the Coke formula, didn't they learn from Coke?!"

I happen to like the Far Cry formula, openworld action without needing to invest into a 400hr RPG.

As well as changing the formula = people whining about changing what worked and what they liked -- "don't change the Coke formula, didn't they learn from Coke?!"

I happen to like the Far Cry formula, openworld action without needing to invest into a 400hr RPG.

Exactly. The games are not too long, but not that short. Enough upgrades to mess around with, but not enough to get annoying in FC3/4. 5 and ND started to change. I even enjoyed FC2 and played it twice.

If they do a big shake up I'd like to see a serious toned (the dude bro stuff is getting a bit stale) sequel to FC2. The sheer amount of details in FC2 compared to FC5 is certainly interesting. There is a notable lack of interact in the world in FC5 compared to 2. 2 had a lot more environment destruction and the like. Will be interesting to see if FC6 brought some of that back.

They had the right idea with 5, the interesting setting was enough to make up for the lack of game improvements.
Unfortunately Far Cry 6 looks like a mixture of 3 and 4, they hoped Gus Fring will be enough to carry it. At least the previous games had unique villians, sure they got an A-List actor, but it's still a familiar character from all his previous roles.

I really liked 5 and New Dawn (less so), I hoped they would continue to surprise us.

I hope you're right. FC3>FC4>FC5. So if this is a mixture of 3+4, that's a HUGE step in the right direction.

Hardware Unboxed has a review up of Fry Cry 6 .. still alot of unknowns like one reviewer uses Rebar and others don't .. Havn't seen an Intel cpu yet ..
Then FSR is what I want to know more about then RT as the GTX 1660 Super can run 1080p Ultra quality with FSR and get back almost all of 1080p Med fps with the hit of Ultra quality settings and anything Nvidia does to help with a new driver should just add to FSR and anyone using an older card should be able to see Candy Man at work .

I edit because Epic let me buy and is installing now .. hope I can play it

Last edited:
Any performance issues on modern Ryzen CPU's? I remember there was a review some guy used an Intel i9 9900k and ran into CPU usage issues causing performance drops ingame.

Rig in Sig, Game Runs very nice... This is with HD Texture Pack active and everything in the game cranked... no FSR

**System Specs
Asus TUF X570 Pro Gaming
Amd Ryzen 5950x
32GB TridentZ 3600MHZ 14-14-14-14-34 1.45v
EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra Gaming - Shunt Modded
Custom Liquid Cooling = 6C Delta to ambient

Attachments

• FC6bench.png
    FC6bench.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Not enough video ram.... try turning off the hd textures I am sure the issue will clear up... rx5700 has only 8gb memory right?
Yes it has 8Gb .. I notice in the results for benchmark is says 7Gb of vram for system info for video card

Initial reviews are as expected. More of the same, but if you like the formula there's no reason you won't like this one, too.

Guru3D did a rundown of how performance works: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/far-cry-6-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,1.html
Well that depends on more of the same what? FC5 or New Dawn? The former is OK, the latter is hell no for me. BTW Uplay is down right now, so there is plenty of time to decide if I want to play this or not.

The game plays more like FC5, not new dawn, thankfully. It's generally more of the same, but i'm fine with that. The graphics all around are fairly outstanding, although some textures & models are lower quality than i'd like. Where the graphics are most impressive is in the big cities where the DXR features really shine. Overall i'm happy with it, i'll pay for my month of Ubisoft+ and be done with it, so for only $15 I can't complain.

Last edited:
Techpowerup says this:

What's really interesting is VRAM usage. I measured well over 10 GB with the 4K, HD Texture pack, and ray tracing combo, which does stutter sometimes on the 10 GB GeForce RTX 3080, but runs perfectly fine with cards offering 12 GB VRAM or higher. I guess I was wrong when I said that the RTX 3080's 10 GB will suffice for the foreseeable future. That said, there's plenty of graphics options, and I wouldn't be surprised if a future patch addresses memory requirements.

They also showed that FSR Ultra quality gives a little better than native image quality, in this game. And a lot of GPUs are CPU limited at 1080p and even 1440p. Will be interesting to see if Alder Lake can make a dent in that.
The 10GB on the 3080 was never enough. Even before this game there were a number of titles that would use more than 10GB quite easily at 4K. This is the main reason why I didn't bother getting one since I had a 2080ti at the time. It was a downgrade in VRAM.

I cranked everything all the way up (with high res textures) and am pulling FPS in the mid 70's via the benchmark. That's in 4K. Works for me. HDR looks a little washed out by default, so I'll have to tinker with that.

Rig in Sig, Game Runs very nice... This is with HD Texture Pack active and everything in the game cranked... no FSR
You don't have a sig showing
Edit: nvm, I guess sigs don't show on mobile

Yes it has 8Gb .. I notice in the results for benchmark is says 7Gb of vram for system info for video card
I think that would be because the benchmark may show what your system can use at once. Ie if your card has 8gb, how can it show your system using 10gb vram, you know? So 7 to 7.x gb is the most your system can utilize. Rest will result is dropped frames, latency, etc

I think.. I don't have this game, just what I saw from hardware unboxed

The main reason to buy from other stores is usually the ability to get special discounts or to use rewards points, gift cards, and such.

So if i buy version from UPLAY then i must choose version with HD TEXTURES or not?

Im pretty sure the HD textures are free DLC? i got the game free from buying an amd laptop last year, and i was able to download the HD textures.

So one could subscribe to Ubisoft+ for one month, play this game, then maybe cancel the subscription?

I got my game from Epic and they have a free add in HD pack ..

Been testing around and 1080p Ultra without HD and FSR Ultra Quality on and without SAM = 90fps
1080p Ultra without HD and FSR Ultra Quality on and with SAM = 105 fps

As for the HD out of vram pop up screen it is said to disable that in Ub settings and the window will not appear anymore .. Even with the pop up low vram and with HD textures on it still ran 99 fps at 1080p High as I recorded the benchmarks and thought maybe ReLive was the issue but it didn't matter and also thought of tring SAM on and off ..

(edit) I uploaded the video and SAM was on ..

Last edited:

Good to see that they paid a little more attention to the small details that can really immerse you, even though it still doesn't have the same level of detail in those aspects. That is something developers and artists started straying away from as the focus became the chase for shinier graphics. But those little details are what made games special.

Those RPGs flying off into space in FC6 really got me laughing, though.

Good to see that they paid a little more attention to the small details that can really immerse you, even though it still doesn't have the same level of detail in those aspects. That is something developers and artists started straying away from as the focus became the chase for shinier graphics. But those little details are what made games special.

Those RPGs flying off into space in FC6 really got me laughing, though.

It was one of the main reasons I disliked FC5, it was a polished turd. It looked good and was fun, but not immersive and the small details were very immersion breaking.

Back