Fallout 4

The original Fallout games had a vehicle you could use as 'fast travel', I think that approach is a very immersive, while still not terribly annoying solution. Essentially: you want fast travel in a game? Add a fast, but combersome vehicle! makes sense to me

The vehicle was just cargo and faster map movement. You stepped out of an 'encounter area' and onto the larger 2D map view. (like in Wasteland 2) Personally I like travelling the map in 1st or 3rd person view. Especially when you encounter firefights in the distance at night.

What they should do, is have a mission to repair some train tracks, and use that as a speedy travel method. Would be awesome... like have an item that can attach itself and lets you skim around using it.

Picked up season pass for 24. However, don't know why since I haven't even started FO4 on PC lol.

Apparently there was something wrong with the installation of Fallout 4. I ran the latest version of Precision X 16 and it was showing roughly the same amount of VRAM usage as GPUz so I thought the results were good. But, after some digging on the net there were people who were running many more texture mods than I was yet not using as much VRAM as I was. Interesting....

After running through verifying files, checking configs,etc I was still getting the same VRAM usage except this time there were major shadow flaws. Screw it... backed-up my ini files, saves, wiped Fallout 4 completely then reinstalled with every mod I use. Loaded my character and voila! VRAM usage is now between 3.8 and 6GB. Still unsure of what was causing the bloated usage...

Apparently there was something wrong with the installation of Fallout 4. I ran the latest version of Precision X 16 and it was showing roughly the same amount of VRAM usage as GPUz so I thought the results were good. But, after some digging on the net there were people who were running many more texture mods than I was yet not using as much VRAM as I was. Interesting....

After running through verifying files, checking configs,etc I was still getting the same VRAM usage except this time there were major shadow flaws. Screw it... backed-up my ini files, saves, wiped Fallout 4 completely then reinstalled with every mod I use. Loaded my character and voila! VRAM usage is now between 3.8 and 6GB. Still unsure of what was causing the bloated usage...
Did you change the number of exterior cells to load in your ini files? That would certainly increase both system and VRAM usage.

I'd been running uGridsToLoad=9 from patch 1.2 up and didn't have an issue. I'm running 5 right now to see if 9 was causing high VRAM usage.

Did you change the number of exterior cells to load in your ini files? That would certainly increase both system and VRAM usage.

VRAM usage means nothing, if you don't experiece stuttering (out of memory) it could be buffering, and buffering is a good thing, not a bad one.

I want a jeep or a truck to drive. Is that too hard to mod?

For example, take 4 legs off a sentry bot, attach it to the 4 corners of a platform. That would get you decent all terrain mobility and speed. You get into it just by tapping "E" to enter, just like you do power armor. You then steer it just like you do walking around in power armor. It would then have a truck bed or something just big enough to hold a power armor and maybe a seat or standing turret for your companion. Power it with a Fusion core or small generator.

You could go buy the plans or frame off any merchant for a few thousand caps and construct it at any power armor station and build the "HighwayMan". It could even share some side panels and design assets from some of the Corvega's lying around.

In other words...

Take this:

car.jpg

Chop the top and trunk to make it a convertible with truck bed, add the legs from the sentry bot into the wheel wells.

latest

A motor bike type transport would be the ideal. The roads and streets are just too littered with dead vehicles and rubble to get around on. There is a mod out that does portal type movement. Forget its name but install that with the new survival mode and that will take care of most of the needs I think. We'll have to wait and see. I'm betting the modding community will have something to fix fast travel or the lack of there of.

I'm thinking a Fallout 4 version of an ATV with a spot for a gunner (one of your companions) would be nice. The ATV could be upgraded with increasingly better: armor, speed, tires, guns. Could also include a paint job to boost faction morale/standing if you complete missions in it.

Anybody have any good settings/mods for 3rd person power armor melee? Been playing no-VATS melee lately and 3rd person is the only way to go. It works fine for open world fighting, but things get really wonky in confined spaces. The camera is just all over the place and the "over the shoulder" view in power armor can be more like "trying to find a place to see from behind the back".

Several of my local friends prefer to play Fallout 4 in third person. The most popular mod between them is option two of Better 3rd Person Camera. While it isn't perfect it does work well for them. There will probably be a flood of fixes and/or new mods when CK is released. Since none of them nor I use power armor I don't know if it would work for you or not.

Anybody have any good settings/mods for 3rd person power armor melee? Been playing no-VATS melee lately and 3rd person is the only way to go. It works fine for open world fighting, but things get really wonky in confined spaces. The camera is just all over the place and the "over the shoulder" view in power armor can be more like "trying to find a place to see from behind the back".

Are there any Add-More random encounters/raiders(andsuch) to the game? I find the fallout 3/nv didn't have enough people in the wasteland.

I'm about 200 some hours in, Level 75. I have been playing since the first week of January. I just entered the Institute for the first time... and of course the game bugged out on the quest and I get stuck in a room with a kid in a glass cage and I cannot proceed. Time to revert to an earlier save. YAY!:rolleyes:

I have visited all but 3 locations on my map, and those 3 are specific to the last few quests with specific factions after or just before you reach the point of no return and pick a side. I know I can go in them before hand, but I'd rather wait.
-Libertalia (first institute quest)
-Cambridge Polymer Labs (Railroad quest)
-The pyramid bunker in the glowing sea (forgot its name, for BoS quest)

I have got every settlement except Bunker Hill. I have done every radiant and side quests for every faction except the Institute. I have every bobblehead and every magazine.

I have found every Power Armor in the game. Due to the leveling system, certain power armor types at certain locations will change the type of power armor based on what level you visit them. As a result of most of my exploration after level 30, most of what I have are T-60's and X-01's. I actually ran out of room to store them in my Sanctuary Garage.

I'm starting to run out of things to do. Even if I do install settlement building mods at this point I'm so proficient at building defenses that settlement attacks rarely come. When they do, the battle is over in seconds.

DLC can't come soon enough. :nailbiting:

I also want some more random encounters or missions. Over the top, "Defend the Castle" type missions.
For example...

-Invasion of Spectacle Island. Mirelurks want their island back, and the device isn't scaring them anymore.
If you aren't hostile with BoS, they alert you with a Vertibird picking you up. They state they spotted weird waves coming from the Atlantic from the observation deck on the Prydwen. They drop you off at Spectacle Island with some extra vertibird signal grenades and a shipment of mini nukes hauled from Fort Strong.
If you are hostile to the BoS, Captain Zao of the Yangtze spotted them swimming in from the Ocean using his submarine's sonar and sends someone to alert you and give you a few more targeting trackers to place. Apparently he lied about having only 3 missiles left.
Face off over a dozen queen's and hundreds of the little crabs.

-Running of the Deathclaws. A wild herd of deathclaws is invading Boston and killing everything in sight. They are pissed someone stole a several dozen eggs, and you are given them by a trader who will give you thousands of caps to haul them instead. You start at one of the city settlements such as Bunker Hill and have to retreat to another one like Diamond City, no fast travel allowed. You are encouraged to go into buildings to avoid them or get tactical high ground. You may also run towards other Raider or Mutant settlements so the Herd gets distracted and kills those settlements in a frenzy. Since you have the eggs, they eventually get back on the trail and keep coming after you.

-Shooting Starlight. Super Mutants from all over the commonwealth have banded together under one leader. They want everything, especially the human Minuteman General and his latest opulent settlement StarLight Theater. The Mutants, being stupid and arrogant, actually give you a 3 day warning by talking to Strong. This gives you enough time to build up defenses at Starlight Theater then its time for a battle like the Alamo.

Last edited:
Well, for a future DLC, I'd love to see Chief Harkness from Rivet City (aka A3-21) and Lana Danvers take a visit to the Commonwealth, where the three of you (and whatever companion you have already) go on an epic quest, along the way bumping into all kinds of interesting situations/trouble (Railroad, Institute, and lots more). Sure, an love story between Harkness/Danvers as a large subquest directly woven into the main one as well.

You know.... I was watching some youtube vids... and one came up about Chameleon armor..... I did not know that it helps you sneak. I thought it makes you harder to detect while you're in sneak mode AND standing still. Man, my first run wouldve been 100x easier if I knew this. I'm making a sneak melee now, so I can use this new found info. But man, that is some bad sentence structure.

You know.... I was watching some youtube vids... and one came up about Chameleon armor..... I did not know that it helps you sneak. I thought it makes you harder to detect while you're in sneak mode AND standing still. Man, my first run wouldve been 100x easier if I knew this. I'm making a sneak melee now, so I can use this new found info. But man, that is some bad sentence structure.

It does? So it improves your general "stealthiness" even while moving?

Is this specifically in regard to melee VATS? If so, that would make sense since melee attacks in VATS are considered to be standing still...even the ~20' rank 2 Blitz attacks, which makes Blitz + Rooted a pretty ridiculous combination.

Last edited:
It does? So it improves your general "stealthiness" even while moving?

Is this specifically in regard to melee VATS? If so, that would make sense since melee attacks in VATS are considered to be standing still...even the ~20' rank 2 Blitz attacks, which makes Blitz + Rooted a pretty ridiculous combination.

That seems to be the case from what that video was showing, but you don't go full invisible when moving.

Which is why it came to me as a surprise.
If it does then it's likely a bug.
This could be the case. I was gonna test it out myself.

Has Chameleon been in any other Fall Out games and works differently? I never played any other cept 3 and I played very little of 3.

I played a stealth character, the chameleon stuff was somewhat useful but not when moving. really it was the actual stealth + magazines that helped. I don't think it was really that beneficial and the visual negatives were highly annoying.

Has Chameleon been in any other Fall Out games and works differently? I never played any other cept 3 and I played very little of 3.

No, the stealth related boost prior to FO4 are silence (which applied to all actions, rather than just exclusively stationary) and stealth field (which effectively made you undetectable short of physically running into them).

In FO1 & 2 stealth is largely irrelevant though because Sneak itself was largely useless (far too many checks for too little benefit, and you can commit assassinations with items easily).

I initially wanted to play a stealth character but I relegated because I could not find the points I needed for the stealth perks without severely gimping myself one way or another so I completely avoided it. Part of that is also due to the fact that you can't go deep early, which is often what I do to make my character up to speed ASAP.

I was stealth and handguns.. it worked out well. By the time I was heading across the glowing sea in my hazmat suit I was able to navigate around glowing super-badass variants of critters to avoid being slaughtered out of my armor.

This is the video. I haven't tested it yet though.

I initially wanted to play a stealth character but I relegated because I could not find the points I needed for the stealth perks without severely gimping myself one way or another so I completely avoided it. Part of that is also due to the fact that you can't go deep early, which is often what I do to make my character up to speed ASAP.
Stealth can be ridiculous granted you don't pay a lot during daytime. There are caveats though, like lights that you can't shoot out, which annoyed the hell out of me.

its bullshit. I just tested it with 4 pieces of chameleon armor on. They still detect. From danger walking to stealth it goes to warning, but they find again. Switching to agatha's dress it is exactly the same. I can't tell it makes any difference at all. This is confirmation bias

Well, that makes me feel worst and better.. better cuz I didn't miss out on it, worst cuz it isn't better and so still useless to me for the most part.

Some questions without spoilers if possible. Is this game exceptionally grindy? Is the settlement building essentially required to do basic functions? Or can you enjoy the game without bothering with that stuff? Likewise, is the combat better than FO3/NV? Can you quick swap between a few different weapons rather than switching to and from the Pipboy every time you want to throw a grenade or something?

I played MGSV recently and the limitations and grinding required to get basic stuff was horrific. Not sure I want to waste time in another game like that. FO3/NV had tedious and annoying combat thanks to the Pipboy which is one of the worst menu designs in video game history. If the game is cut and paste design like MGSV with even worse mechanics I might not even bother playing it. Tried to finish up some quests/areas in FONV but that game has gotten so stale for me. Don't think I can play another game of waiting 3 seconds to switch weapons every 15 seconds anymore.

Some questions without spoilers if possible. Is this game exceptionally grindy? Is the settlement building essentially required to do basic functions? Or can you enjoy the game without bothering with that stuff? Likewise, is the combat better than FO3/NV? Can you quick swap between a few different weapons rather than switching to and from the Pipboy every time you want to throw a grenade or something?

I played MGSV recently and the limitations and grinding required to get basic stuff was horrific. Not sure I want to waste time in another game like that. FO3/NV had tedious and annoying combat thanks to the Pipboy which is one of the worst menu designs in video game history. If the game is cut and paste design like MGSV with even worse mechanics I might not even bother playing it. Tried to finish up some quests/areas in FONV but that game has gotten so stale for me. Don't think I can play another game of waiting 3 seconds to switch weapons every 15 seconds anymore.

The most time consuming thing is the settlement building. I am constantly getting over my carry weight because I try to pick up all the materials for settlements. I just basically try to set up a recruitment beacon and build beds in each settlement, then get water and food. It's still a pain, I am constantly out of copper, gears, springs, oil.. but mostly copper. I still like it a ton though. Once you get supply lines set up it makes it a lot easier with materials.

I like the combat a lot. you can set up favorites on the 1-9 keys and use them for weapons, stimpaks, radx, or whatever you want. Ammo is an issue also.. lots of 38 and 10mm ammo but larger is pretty hard to come by
I do a lot of running away and shooting carefully. You can do as much or as little of the misc quests as you want... you can just turn off the beacons for them in your pipboy. I have about 20 hours in, I did a lot of side questing and material gathering, but it doesn't really affect the gameplay... I just kind of like building towns.

I find the leveling up fun and entertaining. Nothing like the hard MMO grinds I have played in the past. Settlement building is there if you want it but it certainly isn't required. Most of my characters dont bother with it. I'm not really into it to be honest and you can get by with very little building if want to do a little for fun. Like add a couple of turrets and a beacon and that'll work well enough. If you build up a settlement too much in defenses the enemies won't bother to attack. At least that has been my experience anyway. Now some people dont want to be attacked and go all out at building to prevent it. Me, I like them to attack so I can go and defend and get xp for killing baddies so I keep the defenses smaller. Makes the leveling up faster the more you kill. I can't speak about the other FO games. This is my first and I'm loving it.

I don't know that settlements are required, aside from giving a source of endless missions. about the only necessary grindy stuff would be scavaging for materials for weapon/armor upgrades. The leveling appears to be somewhat linear, it takes about 4 junk missions per level, not sure about the main missions. You can ignore scavenging and just pull the mods off of dropped armor/guns but useful ones may be rare.

Settlements really aren't. It's nice to have though, so I'd keep one or 2 if youplan to just reap death over them.

Hell, you can just go kill all the settlements for anyone could care.

Stealth can be ridiculous granted you don't pay a lot during daytime. There are caveats though, like lights that you can't shoot out, which annoyed the hell out of me.

That's pretty much my problem, I only play during day time because it is very annoying trying to wake up NPC's for a conversation (sometimes the animation is longer than the conversation itself), and I have a tendency to actively clean out the place of hostile NPC's, which is harder during night time as you can miss some of them.

And the other compromises I had to make to make a stealth character were the kind I wasn't willing to make (specifically weapon and armor crafting, as well as settlement related boosts), I tried relenting on settlements instead, but the convenience of them was too hard to pass, so I gave up stealth.

I'll try it again at some point, but most likely through a new game. The lack of SPECIAL points in this game is borderline crippling to my play style

If I were you, and want to play a stealth character, I'd specialize a lot more earlier on. Like handgun + stealth. With stealth, you can ignore the all but the agility tree. Obviously, get some points to get the stuff you want, like some int to upgrade weapons. But even that is not necessary because you can swap mods in this game. So you can just buy weapons with mods and put them on your legendaries or just all on one weapon.

If you want a gun stealth char, you can also get stealth, ninja, and gunfu and virtually destroy a group. I play on the current survival, which is superbly bullet spongey and I can destroy groups. Granted, if I get caught I can be destroyed in return, but I didn't go into any weapon specialization, which means my weapons are at half dmg, essentially. And I guess chameleon would work well you go guns cuz you can just snipe everyone from a single spot.

I do get the charisma stuff though, you feel gimped because of dialogue and settlements. As for talking to npcs... at least at settlements, put in an alarm bell, and wake them the hell up! And I use the stealth meter thing to tell if there are enemies around. Your gripes are fairly small but I can understand how annoying it can be.. esp the charisma stuff.

That said.......... playing through the game with stealth... I ended up with 700+ unused stimpaks after 160+ hours, so in the end game, I put on Power Armor, the endless laser gun, and charged in head first. You are unlikely to die unless you forget to heal or you get hit by strong hits like rockets/nukes consecutively.

The most time consuming thing is the settlement building. I am constantly getting over my carry weight because I try to pick up all the materials for settlements. I just basically try to set up a recruitment beacon and build beds in each settlement, then get water and food. It's still a pain, I am constantly out of copper, gears, springs, oil.. but mostly copper. I still like it a ton though. Once you get supply lines set up it makes it a lot easier with materials.

I like the combat a lot. you can set up favorites on the 1-9 keys and use them for weapons, stimpaks, radx, or whatever you want. Ammo is an issue also.. lots of 38 and 10mm ammo but larger is pretty hard to come by
I do a lot of running away and shooting carefully. You can do as much or as little of the misc quests as you want... you can just turn off the beacons for them in your pipboy. I have about 20 hours in, I did a lot of side questing and material gathering, but it doesn't really affect the gameplay... I just kind of like building towns.

So can I essentially get any gear, weapons, power armor ect. without doing much settlement building? I understand a bit of time getting money and whatnot, but I don't want to finish the game and still be limited to only the basic abilities, weapons and armor. FO3/NV were reasonable in that sense. You would easily pick up new stuff and level up just doing whatever you wanted.

And I've read that planning your starting perks/traits (forgot the terms) really matters this time around in FO4. I do like to sneak around but I might just prefer to cater to direct combat. Any particular way to setup my character before starting?

Back