Fallout 4

So I had never played a FO game previously and I decidedly do NOT like RPG's due to being really too dumb to understand most of them.

buuuuuuutttt....

I'm freaking addicted to FO4. If I'm the customer they were going after - mission accomplished.

That happened to me with DeusEx. Until then I avoided all rpgs like the plague.

My views of rpgs was simple : "I want to play, and not jerk around in menus within menus, with skills, and inventory, and upgrades and whatnot"

My views of rpgs was simple : "I want to play, and not jerk around in menus within menus, with skills, and inventory, and upgrades and whatnot"

exactly - let my skill with the gun determine if I live or not - not because this thing is 96 levels higher than me

There's just enough of the other to make this different than the standard FPS Shooter/sp mode.

Ever since the beta patches have been coming out I haven't had any crashes or freezes. At least on my system they did something.

Beta Update 1.2.37

New Features
◾General memory and stability improvements.
◾Performance improvements inside the Corvega Assembly Plant.
◾Fixed issue with player becoming stuck in terminals
Nice. I'll have to try it tonight with the in-game V-Sync reenabled to see if I can run at 144 Hz now.

I still haven't applied any of the beta patches and I haven't had a CTD or freeze the entire time.

I think I'm about 60 hours in. Level 35 or 36. Finally decided I should advance the main storyline a little.

Am I just misremembering or are some of the FO4 POIs pretty huge compared to previous games? Seems like Hagen and that quarry with the underground mine at the bottom of it are significantly bigger and take longer to explore/clear than anything I remember from 3 or NV.

I posted this a few pages back, but I started using it and I highly recommend this mod / fix:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3624/?

Fixes the Scrounger perk so you actually start to get the higher-grade ammos in appropriate amounts (2mm EC, .44, etc.). I don't really see it as a cheat because according to the modder it's broken in the game and needs to be patched.

I felt something was wrong when I had 2 ranks into Scrounger and at level 35 I only had 50 rounds of .44 ammo, and I think less than 20 rounds of 2mm EC.

I'm now starting to see the issues with the ammo system. I'm now getting tons and tons of .50 ammo but barely ever see any .45 any more. That sucks as the Overseer's Guardian is easily my best weapon and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I've started selling random raider stuff and buying more to keep it stocked.

I posted this a few pages back, but I started using it and I highly recommend this mod / fix:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3624/?

Fixes the Scrounger perk so you actually start to get the higher-grade ammos in appropriate amounts (2mm EC, .44, etc.). I don't really see it as a cheat because according to the modder it's broken in the game and needs to be patched.

I felt something was wrong when I had 2 ranks into Scrounger and at level 35 I only had 50 rounds of .44 ammo, and I think less than 20 rounds of 2mm EC.

It's hard to know what's actually broken without the GECK, since we can't see all of the behind-the-scenes calculations that may take place for stuff like this. All the nifty mods that have come out without access to the GECK are really setting the stage for some amazing things once modders have access to a real toolkit.

I'm now starting to see the issues with the ammo system. I'm now getting tons and tons of .50 ammo but barely ever see any .45 any more. That sucks as the Overseer's Guardian is easily my best weapon and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I've started selling random raider stuff and buying more to keep it stocked.

With some extra water generation and a few of the shop stalls at a few settlements, maybe some mutfruit groves, you can fairly rapidly make caps (and ammo) a non issue.

Not sure where you're at in the game, but I'm level 35 or 36 and still use the (upgraded with level 3 gun nut) O.G. as my main weapon.

I only had about 3,000 caps and was having to switch back and forth between 2 or 3 different weapons due to ammo concerns. Built an extra 40 water purifier at the castle, built 4x40 at Sanctuary Hills, and 4x40 at Taffington Boathouse. Also set up maybe six shops total at three different settlements. And a couple smallish mutfruit groves at two different settlements. And now I'm rolling in caps and ammo.

I'll go do 1 or 2 POIs, then swing back through my three money generating settlements, which will usually get me something like 400 water, 100 mutfruits, and 300-600 caps in cash.

I take my haul to a place that has at least two different people selling stuff, put on +4 worth of Charisma gear and pop a grape mentat (the value of this cannot be overstated, it'll make a difference of thousands of caps for each run), and clean the vendors out of cash, ammo, and whatever other crap they have (good junk and shipments of materials).

It's probably been 10 hours of playtime since I started doing this and now I've got 20,000 caps in cash, thousands of almost every ammo (still don't have a ton of EC/gamma/plasma even though I buy all I see, but that's no surprise), and have bought 20,000 caps worth of named armor/weapons.

Doesn't really take long to set up either, as long as you've been collecting the mats you need to make the purifiers and defense stuff for the settlements.

I hope you didn't skip Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You can play that entire game Rambo style and be fine as long as you're good at FPS games.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss! Tactical Nuclear Strike is mine!!!! w0000000000t! :D

Imma gonna show the Super Mutants at a certain junk yard what destruction is all about. :p

It's hard to know what's actually broken without the GECK, since we can't see all of the behind-the-scenes calculations that may take place for stuff like this. All the nifty mods that have come out without access to the GECK are really setting the stage for some amazing things once modders have access to a real toolkit.

I believe they were able to use FO4Edit or something and see what the values were and it's broken...but I'm not 100% sure.

In any case, Scrounger was obviously worthless/not functioning for higher-end ammo so in any case, the mod was necessary IMO.

i installed window 10 enterprise and installed fallout4 on my ssd. i hope the load times at better.

i installed window 10 enterprise and installed fallout4 on my ssd. i hope the load times at better.

Depends what you did before and which SSD.
I use Win7 with an 840 Pro SSD and load times at [sp] pretty quick.

Load times for me are nearly non existent.... I've never been on any loading screen longer then 5-10 seconds. I have it on my m2 SSD

load times are really slow for me, 20-30 seconds (occasionally more) when fast traveling, even 10-20 with the black screen for going in/out doors.

win8.1 4790k/16GB ram/crucial SSD/980, so not a wimpy system. Not sure why its so slow. Its annoying.

load times are really slow for me, 20-30 seconds (occasionally more) when fast traveling, even 10-20 with the black screen for going in/out doors.

win8.1 4790k/16GB ram/crucial SSD/980, so not a wimpy system. Not sure why its so slow. Its annoying.
Same. It's very noticeable when everything else loads almost instantly. I'm going to clear up some space on my SSD tonight and make sure that it's TRIMmed. Using a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro.

anyone know the code for the Scribe npc?

I found hm, and sent him to my settlement, and set him up as a vendor, but the fucker disappeared. He is never at his stall, and he isn't anywhere to be found in the settlement. But the stall is still assigned.

EDIT: Nevermind, I finally found it on the damn wiki. I hate wikis, they're great but navigation is shit.

Load times for me are nearly non existent.... I've never been on any loading screen longer then 5-10 seconds. I have it on my m2 SSD

This.

I barely have enough time to move and rotate the objects which appear at the loading screen.

This.

I barely have enough time to move and rotate the objects which appear at the loading screen.

Hah! Yeah I didn't even know about that. 90% of the time I can't even read the whole little sentence that comes up because it's gone so fast.

And not sure if it matters, but I only have like 19gb free on the SSD that it's installed on. It's a 128gb drive. Had to clear out stuff before I installed just so I could fit it. I knew it was definitely a game I had to put on the SSD though, that's for sure.

I'm not seeing that kind of performance, but I haven't really done any SSD-specific speed tweaking since finally getting the thing installed like a week ago (I had it on a shelf for over a year, just /really/ didn't want to deal with another OS install). Maybe things will improve after that. Still, much faster than when I was playing the game off my older Western Digital Black.

Nice. I'll have to try it tonight with the in-game V-Sync reenabled to see if I can run at 144 Hz now.
Quoting myself for update. Reset iPresentInterval to 1 and disable the frame limiter in RTSS. Have not gotten stuck at a terminal all night. No speed or physics bugs present whether the game is running at 50 or 144 FPS with G-Sync enabled. I don't know if it's the beta patch or the cleanup I did on my SSD, but load times are also improved. Fast travelling now takes about 10-15 seconds to load instead of 30, and interior <-> exterior transition are 0-5 seconds instead of 10.

Quoting myself for update. Reset iPresentInterval to 1 and disable the frame limiter in RTSS. Have not gotten stuck at a terminal all night. No speed or physics bugs present whether the game is running at 50 or 144 FPS with G-Sync enabled. I don't know if it's the beta patch or the cleanup I did on my SSD, but load times are also improved. Fast travelling now takes about 10-15 seconds to load instead of 30, and interior <-> exterior transition are 0-5 seconds instead of 10.

How about dialogue? I tried this myself with the beta patch. I don't get stuck in terminals anymore at 144fps (using gsync), however dialogue is still messed up at the higher fps which makes me think my game is running faster.

Lip sync was never great, but at 144fps it is very bad. The NPC's will speak over their own sentences, beginning a new one while simultaneously finishing the last. Honestly the whole game feels sped up to me although I don't encounter weird physics.

I changed the presentinterval back to 1 in the config files. In the Nvidia control panel vsync is set to "On" for the global settings. Gsync enabled. I think I'll just go back to limiting fps to 72 again since that seemed to work fine. It's a shame, 72 feels nice but 144 feels better!

Got my first major performance hit last night when exploring the area near the Combat Zone and Freedom Trail. Something about that hub area definitely bogged things down. It took me from 60fps all the time to (I'm guessing) the 40's.
I'd been playing for about 90 minutes, so I guess that could play a role if there are any memory leaks.

Lip sync was never great, but at 144fps it is very bad. The NPC's will speak over their own sentences, beginning a new one while simultaneously finishing the last.

Yeah, this is very annoying. I enable subtitles and read ahead in the dialogue just so I don't miss what NPC's are saying. You would think in 2015 with all the high refresh monitors out there, a major studio like Bethesda would have something like this figured out.

People still use spinning disks for their games? Really? I stopped doing that like 8 years ago.

I'm not seeing that kind of performance, but I haven't really done any SSD-specific speed tweaking since finally getting the thing installed like a week ago (I had it on a shelf for over a year, just /really/ didn't want to deal with another OS install). Maybe things will improve after that. Still, much faster than when I was playing the game off my older Western Digital Black.

Well I also forgot to add that I'm not running on max settings either. I've got most things on medium, with stuff like godrays and shadows on low. At 1080. Maybe that has something to do with it as well.

Yeah, this is very annoying. I enable subtitles and read ahead in the dialogue just so I don't miss what NPC's are saying. You would think in 2015 with all the high refresh monitors out there, a major studio like Bethesda would have something like this figured out.

Exactly, and it was like this "out of the box" for me and my 144hz monitor. Sure, using a program to limit it to 72 will fix it but you hit the nail on the head. It is a major studio, major release. It's fine for us to expect 144hz to work properly. A complaint about it is warranted.

I do love this game so I don't want to harp on the 144hz thing too much. On the positive side I find it much more stable than FO3 and FO:NV.

Well I also forgot to add that I'm not running on max settings either. I've got most things on medium, with stuff like godrays and shadows on low. At 1080. Maybe that has something to do with it as well.
the game still has to load the same texture files and such.

I also get sub-par load times on my SSD...actually, sometimes it will be quick and other times it'll take like 30+ seconds, even when loading the same save. It's odd.

My steam library, including this game, is on my 500GB modern raptor drive. I get hideous load times, being able to view and then read anywhere from three to five of the hint messages or whatever that appear during loading. My son uses an SSD cache system, (z68 RAID with SSD and spinner drive), and his system is identical to mine except for disks and he loads almost instantly. Even when I reload the same save over and over (end of silver shadow quest line), it takes forever each time...

I have gotten so frustrated with this game. I had finally gotten it to run 3420x1980. Loaded up NMM and one of 5 mods works without tweaking. Loaded and ran the 'configuration manager' mod and it broke the res. again. Settlement stat reports are always wrong. (Why can't one of the idiot settlers break out a shovel and flatten the area FFS) Stupid minuteman at the Castle got up from the radio and broke that quest.....argggh!

I guess I'll shelve it for a few months....38 wasted hours :rolleyes:

This.

You can move and rotate the items on the loading screen? Well, I have to try that the next time during one of the < 5 sec loading screens.

You can move and rotate the items on the loading screen? Well, I have to try that the next time during one of the < 5 sec loading screens.

Yeah, just click with your mouse and move it to turn the object in any direction you want.

Not much time though.

Back