Fallout 4

Are scavengers supposed to be hostile toward the player in this game? They weren't in fallout 3 IIRC.

They attack me on sight and I never once did anything to one , they just up and attack me in this game.

Mine doesn't seem to be producing. Place the purifiers and power them up. Does anything else need to be done? Played for a few hours after I built a few and the numbers haven't changed.

Also having problems getting people assigned to specific things. Can only the settlers, non named people, work your stores? Tried having a few different named characters move next to the store than assign it to them. They just walk away. Shows they are assigned to it but they never go open up the shop.
Is it the Weapons store? I've never seen an NPC actually stand at the store, but they still work it. If you talk to them they will sell weapons, and they generate revenue. It's just a bug that prevents them from standing at the actual store.

I have that bug with the Weapons shop but all the others work fine.

500 water production in Sanctuary.
By the time I finished setting up turrets, there was 400 Purified Water in the warehouse lol.

How often does the water get put in the Workshop? I've only noticed it ever happening once in 12 hours of playing and I have a huge excess of water...

How often does the water get put in the Workshop? I've only noticed it ever happening once in 12 hours of playing and I have a huge excess of water...
It seems a bit random. I have 4 settlements each with 300-500 water capacity and they produce 150-200 Purified Water once per hour of gameplay (approximately). I usually go explore a few locations and run a quest or two and the water is refilled.

Each settlement has a population of 22 and 80% happiness, that might increas their refresh rate. I have no idea how to exceed 80%...

Power Armor is pretty sweet. I'm using a mod for unlimited jetpack. :)

EnGJwdn.png

Last edited:
is there an in game manual or something for building things? i do not know how to hook up electricity or build a huilding that the settlers will actually use. Pretty tired by the time of day i can play the game and think i am missing something basic. Thanks

Are scavengers supposed to be hostile toward the player in this game? They weren't in fallout 3 IIRC.

They attack me on sight and I never once did anything to one , they just up and attack me in this game.

seems like almost everyone in the game is out to kill you this time. I haven't found any real places yet where there are neutral folk.

500 water production in Sanctuary.
By the time I finished setting up turrets, there was 400 Purified Water in the warehouse lol.

FD5WbEu.png

What's your defense at? I started building purifiers at the castle but hit the max number of objects rapidly. Sounds like I'll be heading back to sanctuary to do it. Not sure I have enough mats to make that many yet though.

Is it the Weapons store? I've never seen an NPC actually stand at the store, but they still work it. If you talk to them they will sell weapons, and they generate revenue. It's just a bug that prevents them from standing at the actual store.

I have that bug with the Weapons shop but all the others work fine.

Yes it is the weapon store. However the dialogue options didn't change. I've seen a few other post out there with people having the same problem. Some possible workarounds but I haven't had time to try them yet.

I've come across several scavengers so far and they've all been friendly and tried to sell me things. They won't talk to me about anything aside from their wares though. If I ask about news or a dialog choice not related to barter, they always say something like "I don't want to talk about that, let's get back to trading." I'm not sure if other conversation choices are unlocked later based on some kind of event. All of the friendly scavengers I've met have been named NPCs.

Has anyone found a way to build internal walls?

I'm building a barracks. The shell has been completed but it's beyond frustrating to try and create internal walls and doors to create apartments within the barracks.

I haven't done too much exploring other then the areas the first 5 hours takes you but I'm planning on it tonight. I've only come across raiders, no scavengers.

Also I have 1 big water generator at sanctuary and every time I've checked my workshop inventory there it's had purified water stocked up, 5-10 bottles each time.

Has anyone found a way to build internal walls?

I'm building a barracks. The shell has been completed but it's beyond frustrating to try and create internal walls and doors to create apartments within the barracks.

Internal walls aren't too tough as long as you remove the floor temporarily so you can snap your wall to the newly-exposed floor edge. You can then safely put the floor back without affecting the wall. Internal doors are a lot tougher since the door frame walls are thicker than the standard walls and won't fit in the gaps.

I've messed around with crafting and have been able to do some things but I can't help but notice what an unecessary time hog it is. It's a shame it's not a bit more streamlined and intuitive.

I seem to have difficulties connecting power situations to large generators and so forth. Things like that.

I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Found a bug that I haven't seen anyone else bring up...

It's only happened at a few times but I can randomly equip a weapon, that I have used many times before, and as soon as I click on it in the Pip boy...instant death. Found that equipping it using the favorite menu didn't kill me.

I've also seen the bug that teleports me but only when I aim down the scopes.

The shops you create through the workshop are the only way to get some of the game's high-level equipment.

I'm trying but it's really kind of a drag.

Some of this is finicky like the electrical. Maybe some of this is my fault but I can be in a situation where I have a nice big generator and I start wanting to connect items to switches and then switches to the generator and it just doesn't work. Frustrating things like that.

I found people using TAA + ReShade sharpening filter over in the 'Fallout 4, what AA are you using?' thread and WOW!

I thought FXAA was wack and TAA really blury, but still better. Using that sharpening filter made a massive difference! Leaps and bounds better looking game just with that.

You can find instructions here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout4_1.html

I'm trying but it's really kind of a drag.

Some of this is finicky like the electrical. Maybe some of this is my fault but I can be in a situation where I have a nice big generator and I start wanting to connect items to switches and then switches to the generator and it just doesn't work. Frustrating things like that.

Switches are janky, but unless you want the ability to turn your lights on and off manually (NPCs won't do it for you) they're not really good for anything. Anything that can be powered by a switch can be powered by a nearby conduit or pylon instead. There seems to be no practical value to turning anything off, either. Your generators don't consume fuel, so why not just run all of your stuff all of the time?

My main problems with the workshop are the lack of half-width walls and the inability to place doors into anything other than one of the 3 door frame objects. The NPC pathfinding for your new structures is also terrible. I built a fort on top of an existing house and settlers keep getting stuck inside the walls or the roof of the old house, even though they are completely enclosed by wooden walls I have built. Not making that mistake again.

Switches are janky, but unless you want the ability to turn your lights on and off manually (NPCs won't do it for you) they're not really good for anything. Anything that can be powered by a switch can be powered by a nearby conduit or pylon instead. There seems to be no practical value to turning anything off, either. Your generators don't consume fuel, so why not just run all of your stuff all of the time?

That's fine by me. Where I have been having an issue is something like this: Let's say there is a house and I put several lights on the ceiling in a room. Outside not too far away I built one of those large size generators that's more than enough to power what I've put in that room.

How do I connect it and make it work? I've tried several variations and it just doesn't work.

My main problems with the workshop are the lack of half-width walls and the inability to place doors into anything other than one of the 3 door frame objects. The NPC pathfinding for your new structures is also terrible. I built a fort on top of an existing house and settlers keep getting stuck inside the walls or the roof of the old house, even though they are completely enclosed by wooden walls I have built. Not making that mistake again.

We're all having the same kinds of issues. This concept really could stand some refinement. I don't know if Bethesda can help via patches or what with it.

Settlements are easy if you make them bare bones. Build water, plant food, build generator and recruitment beacon, build flophouse with beds and nothing else. Put turrets down call it a day.

Lights and ceiling fans? Paintings? TV's and couches? Maybe in whatever you designate your "main" settlement. I give them the necessities. I'm not running a Marriot. They can sleep on their floor mattress or they can go find a ditch and sleep on the dirt!

You're joking right, this game is casual as fuck. It's literally baby's first RPG.

Then quit bitching and dont play it? There are tons of people that are having a blast including myself even if its not a hardcore RPG like you want. Go play dwarf fortress if you want some mega hardcore rpg. Of course they are going to dumb it down some from the morrowind days so they can appeal to more people. This is the biggest fallout ever and its the money shows that this is what people want. Go make your own RPG since this one isnt doing it for you.

Lights and ceiling fans? Paintings? TV's and couches? Maybe in whatever you designate your "main" settlement. I give them the necessities. I'm not running a Marriot. They can sleep on their floor mattress or they can go find a ditch and sleep on the dirt!

That stuff increases the happiness level, though. What the actual effect of doing that is...who knows?!

That stuff increases the happiness level, though. What the actual effect of doing that is...who knows?!

I'm not really sure there is any.

It's just like if no one sees me I can steal to my heart's content and it just doesn't matter.

It's a great game in a lot of ways but I wish things like that mattered more.

It seems a bit random. I have 4 settlements each with 300-500 water capacity and they produce 150-200 Purified Water once per hour of gameplay (approximately). I usually go explore a few locations and run a quest or two and the water is refilled.

Yeah, it seems extremely random. I wonder if it has something to do with sleeping in-game, because I've only ever slept once and it's only ever proced once. I don't recall if it was around the same time or not, though.

I've messed around with crafting and have been able to do some things but I can't help but notice what an unecessary time hog it is. It's a shame it's not a bit more streamlined and intuitive.

I seem to have difficulties connecting power situations to large generators and so forth. Things like that.

I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

I somewhat agree. What they really should have done is make it more like a Sims-esque build mode where you can just fly around from a top view and see what you're doing. Having to run around and position/place items as your character can be a huge hassle with the snapping. Also, they should have had some sort of optional snap-to-grid functionality, for at LEAST the floors. It really sucks if you're OCD about things being straight / positioned evenly on the ground.

I bought the collector's edition strategy guide but so far I don't see a whole lot of detail about the intricacies of the settlement system in there. I agree with you 100% that it is not well-defined.

That's fine by me. Where I have been having an issue is something like this: Let's say there is a house and I put several lights on the ceiling in a room. Outside not too far away I built one of those large size generators that's more than enough to power what I've put in that room.

How do I connect it and make it work? I've tried several variations and it just doesn't work.

Put a conduit somewhere close to the ceiling lights and then wire it to your generator. As long as the conduit is wired up and is in proximity to the lights, they should light up. You may need to refresh the cell by waiting or fast traveling back if they don't light up immediately.

Yeah, it seems extremely random. I wonder if it has something to do with sleeping in-game, because I've only ever slept once and it's only ever proced once. I don't recall if it was around the same time or not, though.

I built one of my places up to 200 water or so. Slept in that settlement for 24 hours and checked my stock, nothing had changed.

Put a conduit somewhere close to the ceiling lights and then wire it to your generator. As long as the conduit is wired up and is in proximity to the lights, they should light up. You may need to refresh the cell by waiting or fast traveling back if they don't light up immediately.

Cool!

I'm not really sure there is any.

It's just like if no one sees me I can steal to my heart's content and it just doesn't matter.

It's a great game in a lot of ways but I wish things like that mattered more.

Yeah, that's a big part of the problem with the game. Nothing you do really matters. It might affect each settlement, but they're pretty self-contained. There's no real impact on the world as a whole.

End-game gun, playing on Very Hard it kills in one shot lol.

quELG6t.png

Whoa, that is amazing. It does almost twice as much damage as my super sledge, and I just recently got all 5 ranks of Little Leaguer.

Side note, I have some kind of glitch with my melee weapons after maxing out little leaguer. I hope it is just the stat sheet, but basically it is not reporting the double damage. Four stars in little leaguer had the super sledge reporting ~165 damage. Five stars, now it is showing ~80ish damage as if the double damage is not being reflected on the sheet.

I hope it is just the stat sheet, but basically it is not reporting the double damage. Four stars in little leaguer had the super sledge reporting ~165 damage. Five stars, now it is showing ~80ish damage as if the double damage is not being reflected on the sheet.

Huh, probably want to test that. Could very well be a bug if it's showing the damage lower.

edit: Looks like it's just a bug in the displayed damage and is actually doing the damage it should.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3ss3ko/major_glitch_will_halve_your_damage_if_you_have/

Last edited:
TaintedSquirrel, that is so awesome, you have any tips for start building sanctuary? in all this time i've been playing i was also collecting/buying on traders when i found bags of cement, steel, plants for growing food, etc, and i think im ready for start. what got me stuck was i thought starting by building walls around sanctuary but then i realized it would ruin the cool view i have from the lake and my brain froze at this thought and im stuck at how to start lol :p

Yeah I had to figure that out by trial and error...again, no indication anywhere of what conduits do or how to power the non-descript items that only require "power" and not "1/2/3 power" specifically.

I built one of my places up to 200 water or so. Slept in that settlement for 24 hours and checked my stock, nothing had changed.

Hmm...I wonder if it's bugged then, because checking my save I have almost 12 hours of play time, 53 or so water and only 7 settlers, and I've only ever received excess water once in that entire time. I built the purifiers within the first couple of hours as well.

Last edited:
Huh, probably want to test that. Could very well be a bug if it's showing the damage lower.

edit: Looks like it's just a bug in the displayed damage and is actually doing the damage it should.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3ss3ko/major_glitch_will_halve_your_damage_if_you_have/

Probably true, I did not feel weaker at all despite the tool tip. That thread is making me feel inadequate however, considering the OP says they get about 360ish damage on their super sledge. My super sledge is not so super after all.

I have 3 Industrial Water whateverthingies running and after a few days, I have 0 purified water.

It just works™.

Yeah I had to figure that out by trial and error...again, no indication anywhere of what conduits do or how to power the non-descript items that only require "power" and not "1/2/3 power" specifically.

There's at least one settlement you can unlock later in the game that already has lights wired up to a generator that serves as an example for how it's supposed to work. Beyond that, I haven't seen anything in the game that gives an indication of how to set it up. Bethesda really should have included a tooltip in the corner when you're in the "Power" section that quickly explains how to wire things up.

Sidebar: Fair is fair... as someone who has been lukewarm on Inon Zur's music in the past I have to say he stepped up for this game. I really like some of the ambient Irish music I've heard in Goodneighbor, for example, and there have been some other moments in the game where the music caught my attention in a good way. Nice job.

Back