Fallout 4

Yeah its a lot of just wasted time doing tedious crap and micro managing. Probably less than 1/4 the time I have spent in this game has even been fun engaging gameplay.

Sounds like you're playing it wrong.

I have spent maybe 2 hours at the most fixing up my sanctuary. The rest of the time is spent exploring the world and doing tons of side quests. I have about 45+ hours already.

Sounds like you're playing it wrong.

I have spent maybe 2 hours at the most fixing up my sanctuary. The rest of the time is spent exploring the world and doing tons of side quests. I have about 45+ hours already.
Sorry but you are full of it claiming 43 out of 45 hours could be spent doing what I consider actual engaging gameplay.

Any guesses on when they are going to start patching this game up? Kind of like Arkham Knight, I'm not gonna buy until it's at least somewhat fixed.

Just buy it there are not as many bugs as people are making out or at least they are not as bad as it is made out to be the game will be into dlc before real patches come out...

Sorry but you are full of it claiming 43 out of 45 hours could be spent doing what I consider actual engaging gameplay.

Your right if you want to knock out the storyline you can do that in 20-30 hours of game play if you want to rare hunt do side quests collect the collectibles you will be into the game for 300+ hours.

I've played for over 10 hours and maybe half an hour of that has been spent bothering with Sanctuary. The other nine and a half has been spent doing quests or exploring the world.

Meh. This type of game isn't everyone's cup of tea. All my friends play it except for one because he thinks they're (Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout3&NV) boring.

Here's my Military Camp Jamaica settlement i have been setting up in the southern part of the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmf4wSpktbE

It is still WIP, need to do some decorating inside the barracks still. But i collected enough armor for everyone that i wanted to have it minus the farmers/scraper.

So, I haven't, and probably won't, have time to really get into this game for awhile.

Do you guys with these redonkulous camps that you've built ever get attacked?

So, I haven't, and probably won't, have time to really get into this game for awhile.

Do you guys with these redonkulous camps that you've built ever get attacked?

Jamaica has not been attacked, it likely lacks the resources and has too high defense rating to get attacked.

I believe the raiding system takes into account the amount of resources you produce, and the amount of defense to determine if a raiding party thinks it is worth attacking that settlement.

I had The Castle get attacked by a rather large group of Super Mutants and high level ones, a few minutes ago, it had no defenses yet because i didnt power them up or set them up, since my focus was getting Jamaica up and running.

So they were severely outgunned when i showed up to deal with the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s4jhcwHbmU

I had to pull out my .50 cal armor piercing bolt action pistol to thin the herd at the beginning, and then my fully upgrade kneecapper .44 (you can see it crippled the legendary mutant dog which was cool) was struggling to get kills on them.

I have around 10 bases and one of them gets attacked every hour or so. I get a quest to defend it, and also Radio Freedom warns me.
When I show up, there's usually a group of maybe a dozen enemies: Raiders, or Super Mutants, or Synths, etc. Then we gun them all down and the quest completes.

Sometimes after it's over, all of my turrets, food sources, and water sources are destroyed... Even if I successfully defended the base. I think the longer you take to show up, the more stuff gets destroyed. If you never show up, everything gets destroyed. It's a HUGE hassle.

This is with 30 food + 30 water + and about 80-100 defense per base. The attacks are random.
My population is 22 per base (22 Charisma). So I need to lower my food and water to 22 each and it would help a lot.

Red Rocket Tower... Still gotta power it.

F2dBXVb.png

I finally made it almost to Diamond City and have came across a bug, I found a video of someone else with the same problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQv0KASGWvk

Anyone know what's up with that? I can't hit him and he takes 0 dmg, he's not targetable in vats but he can dish out dmg to me and everyone else.

Not really a bug, those pipes are an invisible wall that the bullets are hitting. Kind of stupid but yeah. You could probably walk up there and kill him

No, it wasn't that blocking it, I would get right up in his face and not hit him with nothing blocking my way.

I couldn't target him in vats at all.

I ended up reloading an earlier save and ran to that area and it wasn't bugged at that time, was able to take him down easily.

I have around 10 bases and one of them gets attacked every hour or so. I get a quest to defend it, and also Radio Freedom warns me.
When I show up, there's usually a group of maybe a dozen enemies: Raiders, or Super Mutants, or Synths, etc. Then we gun them all down and the quest completes.

Sometimes after it's over, all of my turrets, food sources, and water sources are destroyed... Even if I successfully defended the base. I think the longer you take to show up, the more stuff gets destroyed. If you never show up, everything gets destroyed. It's a HUGE hassle.

This is with 30 food + 30 water + and about 80-100 defense per base. The attacks are random.
My population is 22 per base (22 Charisma). So I need to lower my food and water to 22 each and it would help a lot.

Red Rocket Tower... Still gotta power it.

F2dBXVb.png

How did you put walls on top of each other? Are there floors every level inside that tower? I've found that the game won't let you build two walls on top of each other. Like for instance, if you wanted a structure that was two wall lengths high and just a floor and roof, doesn't seem like I can figure that out. ?

awesome. Ya ll are building all this shit and i cant figure out why or where to put a bed so whats his face stops griping about it.

How did you put walls on top of each other? Are there floors every level inside that tower? I've found that the game won't let you build two walls on top of each other. Like for instance, if you wanted a structure that was two wall lengths high and just a floor and roof, doesn't seem like I can figure that out. ?

It was all built using the Metal Prefab section. They stack with snapping very easily. I used the stairs from the Wood Floors category.

Top floor:

Ire17IR.png

Last edited:
I might copy your idea TaintedSquirrel :) I assume you have a fast travel mat at the top of the tower?

Wheres the power generator at? I cant see any wires either...

The luck bobble head has some nasty beasties guarding it... also not sure if this is a bug but my power armor allows me to breathe under water until just before the island. I walked the bottom... I fought the queen had to resort to using fat man to win only to die to hatchlings a second later...

I put a wind turbine in the middle of the tower.
Wires are routed along the side. Lights don't need to be connected to a power source, they just need to be near one.

mBpmYrL.png

I just found out you can build on the elevated highway above Greygarden! Neat. Also I found 2 of my settlers up there, lazy shits!
Same thing @ Finch Farm, elevated highway above it.

BJBRTac.png

z24BJgX.png

Last edited:
The more I play FO4 the less I like it, and that's saying something as I've been a huge fan of the series from FO1. This game is a significant downgrade in gameplay from FO3 and F:NV. So much of the core mechanics that made for the immersive RPG experience of previous games have been stripped out reducing it to an uninspiring marriage of a first person shooter and the sims.

I guess I'l start with the good:
  • The FPS portion is much better, but still is average as a shooter. Regular combat functions OK. Enemies now continue moving in VATS (dramatically slows but doesn't pause the game).
  • The weapon customization is cool, and crafting works better.
  • Radiation actually matters now.

Things that have taken a huge downgrade:
  • Somewhere out there is a nice interview stating that giving the player a varied choice of dialogue in fallout 3 didn't allow them to tell a story quite like they wanted. You know what the problem is? A role-playing game isn't about being told a story, it is about making your OWN story. Especially in one like Fallout. All this talk from Todd Howard bout how player freedom remains their number one goal, yet they cuddle you through the whole story.
  • After I saw the "wheeled" dialog choices and the player character speaking it made me think of Mass effect, but it's not even close in terms of immersion. I didn't feel attached to any of the characters in Fallout 4, and the dialogues were very unsatisfying, and boring. All you get to choose is “Yes”, “No”, “Sarcasm” type of responses. Hell, is it really necessary to point out that a certain response might be sarcastic? It's a simple concept. If you point out that something is sarcastic in advance, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of sarcasm! It’s not funny or witty anymore. Not that it matters anyways.....
  • ^That's not even the the worst part of the dialog.. the most horrifying part is that it DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL - No choices are really made, no matter what you choose the game directs you down the same path. That's right you can't be choose to be good, evil, a bit of both, etc. This is NOT an RPG in any way, it's a action/adventure shooter. This is an on rails adventure with a complete lack of shades of grey story, it's Good vs Evil, and you can only be good.
  • No Karma system. Feel free to loot "owned" items, it doesn't impact anything anyways.
  • Poor side quest design, almost all in line with MMO "quality". I was really sad when I found out the side quests basically all are: "We need help killing raiders at such and such location". You do that and they just give you another "clear this area quest". There is no story progression or choice. Just infinite rinse and repeat the same quest over in a different location.
  • The characters are completely uninteresting. Remember the Kings from F:NV? Fotrget about zany stuff like that. Gone are the different characters scheming against one another and your actions lead to different outcomes. Everyone is basically a farmer living in an isolated shack on a hill and they all need help stopping raiders (as above).
  • Complete removal of skills, giving birth to a streamlined, watered down perk system. SPECIAL doesn't even really matter anymore. There are no perk/skill/stat-based dialogue checks. So if you liked having a very perceptive or intelligent, maybe even a cannibalistic character with some cool dialogue, say goodbye to that.
  • You can use all weapons regardless of type right from when you find them (no more specialization requirements). Part of the fun in building your character was choosing it's abilities.

In summary, Fallout 4 lacks the RPG elements of previous Fallout games. The game ages quickly after what seems to be a cool intro and a good start. The first couple hours of the game feels enjoyable, but when you want to dig deeper, there's nothing to dig. By that time you've already done and seen everything this game has to offer. I'd give this game a 4/10 and that's me being generous..

Yes nit pick about a world stuck in the 50s... with tech from the worlds fair... where the cold war went hot... and everything was atomicly powered...

and they have not only perfected fusion, they've miniaturized it into portable, fit in the palm of your hand size devices. Not to mention the perfection of AI, current researchers would shit themselves if they met Cogsworth, let alone any of the Synth robots. Though I guess they DID have 120 some odd years from the end of WWII to the apocalypse to research and perfect nuclear energy. I guess this is the possibility if man had focused on nuclear tech instead of computers and the information age.

The more I play FO4 the less I like it, and that's saying something as I've been a huge fan of the series from FO1. This game is a significant downgrade in gameplay from FO3 and F:NV. So much of the core mechanics that made for the immersive RPG experience of previous games have been stripped out reducing it to an uninspiring marriage of a first person shooter and the sims.

I guess I'l start with the good:
  • The FPS portion is much better, but still is average as a shooter. Regular combat functions OK. Enemies now continue moving in VATS (dramatically slows but doesn't pause the game).
  • The weapon customization is cool, and crafting works better.
  • Radiation actually matters now.

Things that have taken a huge downgrade:
  • Somewhere out there is a nice interview stating that giving the player a varied choice of dialogue in fallout 3 didn't allow them to tell a story quite like they wanted. You know what the problem is? A role-playing game isn't about being told a story, it is about making your OWN story. Especially in one like Fallout. All this talk from Todd Howard bout how player freedom remains their number one goal, yet they cuddle you through the whole story.
  • After I saw the "wheeled" dialog choices and the player character speaking it made me think of Mass effect, but it's not even close in terms of immersion. I didn't feel attached to any of the characters in Fallout 4, and the dialogues were very unsatisfying, and boring. All you get to choose is “Yes”, “No”, “Sarcasm” type of responses. Hell, is it really necessary to point out that a certain response might be sarcastic? It's a simple concept. If you point out that something is sarcastic in advance, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of sarcasm! It’s not funny or witty anymore. Not that it matters anyways.....
  • ^That's not even the the worst part of the dialog.. the most horrifying part is that it DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL - No choices are really made, no matter what you choose the game directs you down the same path. That's right you can't be choose to be good, evil, a bit of both, etc. This is NOT an RPG in any way, it's a action/adventure shooter. This is an on rails adventure with a complete lack of shades of grey story, it's Good vs Evil, and you can only be good.
  • No Karma system. Feel free to loot "owned" items, it doesn't impact anything anyways.
  • Poor side quest design, almost all in line with MMO "quality". I was really sad when I found out the side quests basically all are: "We need help killing raiders at such and such location". You do that and they just give you another "clear this area quest". There is no story progression or choice. Just infinite rinse and repeat the same quest over in a different location.
  • The characters are completely uninteresting. Remember the Kings from F:NV? Fotrget about zany stuff like that. Gone are the different characters scheming against one another and your actions lead to different outcomes. Everyone is basically a farmer living in an isolated shack on a hill and they all need help stopping raiders (as above).
  • Complete removal of skills, giving birth to a streamlined, watered down perk system. SPECIAL doesn't even really matter anymore. There are no perk/skill/stat-based dialogue checks. So if you liked having a very perceptive or intelligent, maybe even a cannibalistic character with some cool dialogue, say goodbye to that.
  • You can use all weapons regardless of type right from when you find them (no more specialization requirements). Part of the fun in building your character was choosing it's abilities.

In summary, Fallout 4 lacks the RPG elements of previous Fallout games. The game ages quickly after what seems to be a cool intro and a good start. The first couple hours of the game feels enjoyable, but when you want to dig deeper, there's nothing to dig. By that time you've already done and seen everything this game has to offer. I'd give this game a 4/10 and that's me being generous..

Bolded is wrong. I can think of 4 or 5 charisma dialogue checks without having gotten very far into quests.

Sure the dialogue isn't the best...but every single game I've ever played had uninspired dialogue. You expect Hemingway or Tennyson? It is a video game for crying out loud.

Bolded is wrong. I can think of 4 or 5 charisma dialogue checks without having gotten very far into quests.

Sure the dialogue isn't the best...but every single game I've ever played had uninspired dialogue. You expect Hemingway or Tennyson? It is a video game for crying out loud.

I guess you didn't play either of the first two Fallout games? I'm not saying Hemingway or anything, but they were (and to this day still are) head and shoulders above most RPGs. It's a huge part of why people are so invested in the setting, and shitty writing has no place in Fallout when the bar has been set so high.

I agree with the last 2 bullets. I feel like they made the encounters harder by adding more baddies and made the overall gameplay watered down with the SPECIAL system. I think NV was the best fall out. If I could upgrade the NV graphics to FO4, I'd be happy.

Sadly, I've come to the same conclusion as canna: "The more I play FO4, the less I like it."

How does the fact that the game now only has Charisma dialogue checks makes his statement wrong?

P.S.: This can't be said enough times: Fuck the dialogue wheel.

I agree with the last 2 bullets. I feel like they made the encounters harder by adding more baddies and made the overall gameplay watered down with the SPECIAL system. I think NV was the best fall out. If I could upgrade the NV graphics to FO4, I'd be happy.

Models, no, but a retexture goes a long way. I think there's a guy that's working on a 4K texture pack for NV.

i feel that FO4 is no different than FO3/NV. which is all fine with me because I loved those 2 games as well.

it really does feel like a slightly upped graphic version of those games with some simplifications added like no more having to repair stuff. Plays exactly the same now that I'm in to it more.

I don't really like the new perk system but...it is kind of similar in a way to the old one. just simpler.

not sure aobut the dialog wheel hate..same thing just floaty and not in a big ass box at the bottom.

but dumbing games down is the norm any more and I still blame consoles for this. No one wants to take the chance on complex games or else they alienate too many potential buyers.

I seem to level up really slow, 28 hours in and only level 20.
Been doing quests as I find them and have explored a lot of the east part of the map.

I seem to level up really slow, 28 hours in and only level 20.
Been doing quests as I find them and have explored a lot of the east part of the map.

I spent a lot of time killing over-level enemies (skull) and that gave me a pathetic amount of XP (you would think that killing tougher enemies several levels higher than you would give you extra XP!)

Completing quests, no matter how trivial, apparently gives you a shit load of XP, though.

not sure aobut the dialog wheel hate..same thing just floaty and not in a big ass box at the bottom.

Not the same thing. The dialogue wheel just screams dumbed down.
http://imgur.com/a/koaKe

The more I play Fallout 4, the more I love it. There's just so much loving care and attention to detail in the entire world and the things you can do. The shooting mechanics FINALLY feel like an actual shooter, instead of clunky as all hell in FO3 and NV. The modular weapon design, modular and customizable power armor, much improved graphics, *excellent* sound design... and oh yeah, let's not forget an indepth "build your own fucking city" system??

I get some of the complaints I've seen but a lot of it just seems like the usual "I'm a hardcore fan and they changed x and y, now it sucks!" Always happens to popular game series sequels.

I spent a lot of time killing over-level enemies (skull) and that gave me a pathetic amount of XP (you would think that killing tougher enemies several levels higher than you would give you extra XP!)

Completing quests, no matter how trivial, apparently gives you a shit load of XP, though.

Not the same thing. The dialogue wheel just screams dumbed down.
http://imgur.com/a/koaKe

You can't expect the current generation of console kids to actually read shit that's just crazy. Yes/no/sarcastic is probably pushing it; I'm really surprised they are not emoji.

i think the whole reason for the dialog like it is was so they could record all the dialog. FO3/NV your character wasn't voiced.

Has anyone determined if the engine can handle more than 4gb of ram usage before it implodes? Modded skyrim used to hit that wall and just die. If this still can't, it will be extremely disappointing.

You can't expect the current generation of console kids to actually read shit that's just crazy. Yes/no/sarcastic is probably pushing it; I'm really surprised they are not emoji.

Make no mistake that it isn't just console kids that require that ... now that Steam has upwards of 100 million registered users you will see more variation of needs on the PC front as well ... hard core RPGs may be appealing to a small crowd but the masses (in PC and consoles) usually want something less rigid ... and it is possible that they could add some hardcore features in DLC so that the crowd that wants that can buy it and the crowd that doesn't can stay with the status quo

Back