Fallout 4

I'm not even sure how the mechanics work for it. Like if your defense is higher than everything else, does it NEVER get attacked, or just much less likely?

If one gets attacked when you're not there, does it radio you for help and then you head there and help defend it?
Your defense should be >= your food + water combined. I always keep mine about +5 higher and at one point after fast traveling to Graygarden it was completely destroyed. All of the turrets, water pumps, and food sources. I had to spend resources repairing them... The game didn't warn me of an attack or anything. So I think it's RNG.

If your defense is too low, you will get periodic raider attacks that you can help defend (supposedly).

If you're not sure what's wrong with your base, check the "Data > Workshops" Tab in your pipboy. It will show <!> symbols on every base where there is a problem. Beds, food, water, defense, etc, it will warn you. It's a very simplistic game mechanic. Most of the 'fun' comes from customizing your bases, which has NO EFFECT on how they function... It's just for aesthetics. If you don't care how your base looks, you can construct a fully functional settlement in about 10 minutes.

edit: Unrelated, hi-res game map:

http://i.imgur.com/ulR8sGB.jpg

Anyone know how to change viewmodel for the guns? Some of these laser guns are taking up half the screen. Is that normal?

So I've got a pipe rifle with a pretty sweet scope that's otherwise pretty meh. I looted another pipe rifle that's pretty sweet except for the scope. Is it possible to transfer mods from one weapon to another (of the same base type, presumably)?

the whole base mechanic thing really does not fit. it is like they decided, minecraft is cool, lets build it into the game. it makes no sense and is somewhat immersion breaking

So I've got a pipe rifle with a pretty sweet scope that's otherwise pretty meh. I looted another pipe rifle that's pretty sweet except for the scope. Is it possible to transfer mods from one weapon to another (of the same base type, presumably)?

you cannot remove. you have to "switch". on the scoped rifle you have to scroll through the scopes mods to see if there is one you can attach. if not, you have to "build" the default one. I think resource cost may be 0. so after you "switch" it that way you can then swap it onto the other gun.

you cannot remove. you have to "switch". on the scoped rifle you have to scroll through the scopes mods to see if there is one you can attach. if not, you have to "build" the default one. I think resource cost may be 0. so after you "switch" it that way you can then swap it onto the other gun.

Cool. I thought I did that last night. It was just before bed, though, so it might be I just f'd something up.

Do they have to be the same base item type or is it possible to "swap" mods between base weapon types?

you should store all your unused mod parts in one spot. load them and see if you have one you can switch. the pipe rifles and guns are the same except for stocks. the combat rifle/shotguns are different. generally not much is interchangeable.

Fuck it, bought it, gonna try it out on my GTX 460.

lol, I'm so confused why you would blow 60 bucks on the game when you know your GPU is gonna cripple you and you could have put that towards a new one. Sure it wouldn't cover all of it but it sure as hell is a good chunk...

lol, I'm so confused why you would blow 60 bucks on the game when you know your GPU is gonna cripple you and you could have put that towards a new one. Sure it wouldn't cover all of it but it sure as hell is a good chunk...

because now it becomes a reason to upgrade

you should store all your unused mod parts in one spot. load them and see if you have one you can switch. the pipe rifles and guns are the same except for stocks. the combat rifle/shotguns are different. generally not much is interchangeable.

Well fuck me. I didn't even realize the mod parts showed up as inventory items. I just can not get a feel for the UI in this game. Is it just me, or does it suck major wang?

Also, anyone else finding your indoor FPS to be MUCH lower than outdoors? I finally went into the Museum of Freedom last night and it was a major stutterfest in some parts. Single GTX 980, in-game V-sync disabled (enabled via driver) to eliminate stuttering, running 4K DSR non-windowed (for now).

dude, please, get at least a 2gb 950 or 960, this game totally worth it :cool:

Because its not like I wasted the $60 if it doesn't work. If it isn't playable, I buy a new GPU and play it. Actually, at this point I'm more curious if it'll even work than anything. If it doesn't, I live 11 miles from best buy, price match the 970 on Amazon, and play it.

Not that big of a deal. Plus, my card doesn't meet the min requirements for other games I play at med to high settings and it does just fine. So again, science.

because now it becomes a reason to upgrade

And this.

Because its not like I wasted the $60 if it doesn't work. If it isn't playable, I buy a new GPU and play it. Actually, at this point I'm more curious if it'll even work than anything. If it doesn't, I live 11 miles from best buy, price match the 970 on Amazon, and play it.

Not that big of a deal. Plus, my card doesn't meet the min requirements for other games I play at med to high settings and it does just fine. So again, science.

And this.

if you could find a used 670 or 680 it would already be nice if you dont want to spend much

Well fuck me. I didn't even realize the mod parts showed up as inventory items. I just can not get a feel for the UI in this game. Is it just me, or does it suck major wang?

Pretty normal for their games unfortunately. The inventory systems is horrible. I get used to it after awhile but am looking forward to UI mods more than anything right now.

Also, anyone else finding your indoor FPS to be MUCH lower than outdoors? I finally went into the Museum of Freedom last night and it was a major stutterfest in some parts. Single GTX 980, in-game V-sync disabled (enabled via driver) to eliminate stuttering, running 4K DSR non-windowed (for now).

It's not just you. Friends and I were just bitching about it over lunch yesterday. The crafting UI is plain old carny trash. It's my only real complaint with the game. I think the UI, storage in general and the building system could all be revamped with fresh perspective and help things quite a bit.

I'm curious if the crafting UI makes perfect sense to the console players. I don't do that at all so maybe that is a design aesthetic I am just unfamiliar with and that's why it seems so odd to me. The one guy in our group that plays Destiny, cod etc was the one that shrugged off the issue.

It's not just you. Friends and I were just bitching about it over lunch yesterday. The crafting UI is plain old carny trash. It's my only real complaint with the game. I think the UI, storage in general and the building system could all be revamped with fresh perspective and help things quite a bit.

I'm curious if the crafting UI makes perfect sense to the console players. I don't do that at all so maybe that is a design aesthetic I am just unfamiliar with and that's why it seems so odd to me. The one guy in our group that plays Destiny, cod etc was the one that shrugged off the issue.

For sure. Can't wait for some UI/organization mods to come out.

Yeah, I think it's definitely more usable for console players (at the cost of PC usability). It was the same way with Skyrim. However, with a game like this when crafting has been so much expanded, it's screaming for an overhauled inventory system.

I'm hoping somebody mods in an overhead 'Sims-esque' crafting camera for settlements. Very clunky trying to build.

Very much enjoying the game, and the occasional bug hasn't caused me too much issue (except the quarry bug making me fall off a cliff). And it's running well enough on my FX 8320 and R9 380.

Yep, I put up 6 stores across 2 towns and after a few hours of gameplay they generated 100~120 caps in each town. Pretty much worthless.
I think if you do this in ALL settlements across the entire map, it will add up. But remember it costs 500+ caps per store, and by the time you populate all of your settlements you will be filthy rich anyway.

I put up a bunch of scavenging stations and assigned all extra NPCs (about 5-10 per town) to scavenge. They generate useless shit like Plastic, Wood, etc, but it's more useful than a handful of caps. So I have 3 or 4 people farming food and everyone else farming crafting materials for me... That's about it.

Sooo in short, as far as I can tell settlements are totally useless. They don't generate anything useful. At all.
HOWEVER if you like to sell a lot of stuff, you can set up a bunch of stores in your settlement and it gives you access to them all in 1 spot! So that's super helpful.

It's still a lot of fun to grow and manage your settlements. I'm not sure it's worth spending 6 points in Charisma, however.

How many caps do they have for selling stuff to them? Does it recharge? That's always one problem I've had is having tons of stuff to sell but it being difficult to find someone that has enough caps to buy it all.

I just got the castle, finished setting it up, and moved all my crafting crap down to it. At some point I'll spend some time pimping it out but for now all I've done is patch all the holes in the walls and set up a ton of turrets.

Everyone probably knows this, but I didn't realize it immediately so I figured it might be worth mentioning, just dumping weapons and armor into a crafting station inventory doesn't make its components available for crafting like it does with junk. You have to manually break each weapon or armor down.

Is anyone having any luck with the beta? I'm not even seeing a listing for it in my steam install.

For sure. Can't wait for some UI/organization mods to come out.

what is stupid is the phone app allows you sort stuff but the in game pipboy you can't (are at least Ican't figure out how)

rge UI in the game is SO inconsistent. I mean...they did a really bad job with it.

So....I am having a real problem with the Arcjet mission...

Did I accidentally go there too early or something?

I'm only level 7 and I am literally getting like two-three hitted with my current gear.

I ended up picking up that mission by way of doing the tenpines mission.

How many caps do they have for selling stuff to them? Does it recharge? That's always one problem I've had is having tons of stuff to sell but it being difficult to find someone that has enough caps to buy it all.

I just got the castle, finished setting it up, and moved all my crafting crap down to it. At some point I'll spend some time pimping it out but for now all I've done is patch all the holes in the walls and set up a ton of turrets.

Everyone probably knows this, but I didn't realize it immediately so I figured it might be worth mentioning, just dumping weapons and armor into a crafting station inventory doesn't make its components available for crafting like it does with junk. You have to manually break each weapon or armor down.

I want to build up the castle and not sanctuary, is there any way to move the people in sanctuary over to the castle?

what is stupid is the phone app allows you sort stuff but the in game pipboy you can't (are at least Ican't figure out how)

rge UI in the game is SO inconsistent. I mean...they did a really bad job with it.

you can sort items in game (i think it's either z or q, don't recall) and you can cycle though several sort criteria i.e. damage, weight, value, etc.

I'm only level 7 and I am literally getting like two-three hitted with my current gear.

Nah, you should be good to go. I think the AI is better in this game and the damage tehy can do.

What difficulty are you playing at?

"Sneak critical" is what I'm about. ;)

What kind of weapons and gear are you sporting?

you can sort items in game (i think it's either z or q, don't recall) and you can cycle though several sort criteria i.e. damage, weight, value, etc.

thanks, will try that.

glad it tells you that somewhere or....they could have just had the clickable thing like the phone app.

thanks, will try that.

glad it tells you that somewhere or....they could have just had the clickable thing like the phone app.

no problem. it tells you which key it is below the pipboy while you have it open (the same area that tells you to press T for the Perks Menu; well at least i have it mapped to T).

I want to build up the castle and not sanctuary, is there any way to move the people in sanctuary over to the castle?

I think so but I'm not sure what it is as I've never tried it. I'd probably just install a radio beacon thing at the castle (the Minuteman radio tower that's already there doesn't count as one) and wait for people to show up. It seems like if you have lots of food and water and defense people start showing up pretty quick. I went from 5 to 8 in just the time it took me to make a few fast travels back to sanctuary to collect all my crap.

Wonder if there will be a radio station mod that lets you put in your own music.

I am rolling in .38 ammo, have like 500+, problem is it seems the ONLY ones that take that are the crappy "pipe" ones that do waaaaaaaaaay less dmg then any other.

I am leaning a lot more toward using melee weapons now because ammo seems so scarce.

BTW where/how do you use the tattoos you find? I've gotten like 3 tattoo magazines but it never says how to use it.

A modded up .38 rifle is reasonably strong. I can kill most ghouls with 2-3 non vats headshots. Gun nut perk level 2 opens up lots of good stuff.

Tip: for weapons modding pickup desk fans, typewriters, toasters, and other small appliances. They contain the rarer parts needed to mod weapons.

Tip: for weapons modding pickup desk fans, typewriters, toasters, and other small appliances. They contain the rarer parts needed to mod weapons.

ah thanks for the tip. i've been passing up desk fans aplenty because i didn't want to carry them around. same goes for toasters.

You ok bro?

Meanwhile the old people here, which I am one, sometimes bought USRobotics Win Modems that only had drivers ON THE INTERNET

I may be suffering from Post Apocalypse Stress Disorder from too much Mad Max, Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, Under a Graveyard Sky, Seraph of the End, etc.

..perhaps a marathon weekend intervention of Thomas the Tank engine and Hello Kitty is in order???

but back to drivers, I've always expected at least a 25 cent disc with some outdated drivers to get you started. What the hell will I do when the apocalypse hits and the internets go down?

Wait until you run into your first sentry bot, that fucked me up ultra quick, wasn't expecting that.

Unrelated: is there a certain luck requires to get legendary spawns. I'm level 14 have done lots of random combat and am yet to get a legendary spawn.

Wait until you run into your first sentry bot, that fucked me up ultra quick, wasn't expecting that.

Unrelated: is there a certain luck requires to get legendary spawns. I'm level 14 have done lots of random combat and am yet to get a legendary spawn.

its tied to the difficulty. im playing on hard and ive encountered 7 or 8 legendaries in about 9 hours of play. 2 of those i had to leave cause they just whooped my scrawny power armor-less ass

Nah, you should be good to go. I think the AI is better in this game and the damage tehy can do.

What difficulty are you playing at?

"Sneak critical" is what I'm about. ;)

What kind of weapons and gear are you sporting?

I haven't got crap for good weapons, the best dmg Is a shotgun I modded a bit that does 38dmg.

I have some modified leather armor for protection against electricity (which seems to be the dmg they do since the weapons they drop do that).

I did have power armor but had to leave it before we got to Arcjet because I ran out of fusion cores.

I've spent most of my levels' spending on Lockpicking/charisma, haven't relaly invested much into perception and combat related things yet.

does the local map work for anyone on their phone? world map does, local map is a garbled mess.

Back