Fallout 4

Looks very last-gen, with the amount of money Bethesda makes on these games you would think it could invest in updating the engine.

I agree but honestly? The trailer has me jacked up and I know it's going to deliver the goods where it counts. I'm ready!

Ugh I wish they would work on a new engine already. I love Gamebyros modding capabilities and all but damn are the graphics looking stale. Will still play and enjoy though, love me some fallout.

It looks like it has a updated engine. From what I saw in the trailer the overall game world looks better than New Vegas/Skyrim.

So much moaning over the graphics. And all from a trailer, probably from the console version.

Take a chill pill y'all.

It looks like it has a updated engine. From what I saw in the trailer the overall game world looks better than New Vegas/Skyrim.

I'd say it's on par with Skyrim, maybe the lighting effects are a bit better. Also New Vegas had filters, FO3 had filters, this one looks like they did away with that which is why we're seeing so much color. Still looks like a slightly modifed Skyrim version of the Gamebyro. Oh well, at least we know ENBs will work.

I'm surprised to hear moans about graphics. none of their games have been graphically astounding, but the mod community is always good.

I'm surprised to hear moans about graphics.

Welcome to the [H] PC gaming area. Don't be. ;)

none of their games have been graphically astounding, but the mod community is always good.

I agree. It's not a quantum leap but it certainly isn't a 2008 game I'm looking at, either.

Mods...eye candy...DSR... honestly no one will ultimately give a shit once they are back in the groove kicking ass.

I lost several hundred hours a pop to the previous games and I expect that again here. :)

I'm surprised to hear moans about graphics. none of their games have been graphically astounding, but the mod community is always good.

I thought Skyrim was rather impressive for its time. It wasn't until ENB and modding that the game showed its true potential. After playing games like Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Unity, GTAV, we just have become a bit spoiled.

I thought Skyrim was rather impressive for its time. It wasn't until ENB and modding that the game showed its true potential. After playing games like Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Unity, GTAV, we just have become a bit spoiled.

^^ This.

I'd say it's on par with Skyrim, maybe the lighting effects are a bit better. Also New Vegas had filters, FO3 had filters, this one looks like they did away with that which is why we're seeing so much color. Still looks like a slightly modifed Skyrim version of the Gamebyro. Oh well, at least we know ENBs will work.

Skyrim heavily modded maybe.

This trailer, unless it was augemented/doctored, looks like a brand new engine from the ground up. Gone are the apparent head/neck lines and there are actual hi-def models! The only polygons I saw were on the dog. This is a huge step in the right direction because I simply could not play another Bethesda game on that same engine, even an updated one.

I'd rather they work with a heavily modified id Tech 5 engine than anything Gamebryo based. :(

Bugs confirmed.

lNIVWnS.png

I'd rather they work with a heavily modified id Tech 5 engine than anything Gamebryo based. :(

Heavily modified as in something where the textures don't blur and pop in and out of existence all of a sudden? ;)

Other than that, yeah, I like the Id Tech 5 engine. I also like CryEngine 3. Frankly there are a number of superior options out there that I would have rather seen but obviously that's water under the bridge now.

If this game comes out and it's not "Bugthesda" which is what we have seen to varying degrees with their previous games in the early goings then that will go a long ways.

Bethesda enjoys an amazing amount of grace on that considering how long we all wait for them to get a game out.

I've watched Ubisoft, EA, and more recently a far more sympathetic company like CDPR get thrown under the bus for way less than some of the BS we've all put up with from Bethesda over the years.

So we'll see.

OMGOMGOMGOGMGOMGOGMGOGMGOGMOGMG

So much want, so much wait, so much meeeeeeh....

Fallout was never really about the graphics in the first place.. Even when FO3 came out other games were blowing it away.. It does look they upgraded it as it does look better...

I'm all in.. At least they presented an honest trailer and not a Ubisoft pre-rendered out the butt graphics that equal nothing to what the actual game offers trailer. At least you know what you're getting here..

This trailer, unless it was augemented/doctored, looks like a brand new engine from the ground up. Gone are the apparent head/neck lines and there are actual hi-def models! The only polygons I saw were on the dog. This is a huge step in the right direction because I simply could not play another Bethesda game on that same engine, even an updated one.

The neck seams were gone in Skyrim. It's definitely Gamebyro from the way the environment looks and the models move. Bethesda always modifies it with every game release to make it look slightly better. It's not a bad engine, just graphically it's lacking. I do love how mod friendly gamebyro is and how easy it is to design new content.

Fallout was never really about the graphics in the first place.. Even when FO3 came out other games were blowing it away.. It does look they upgraded it as it does look better...

I'm all in.. At least they presented an honest trailer and not a Ubisoft pre-rendered out the butt graphics that equal nothing to what the actual game offers trailer. At least you know what you're getting here..

its all about the story and thats how it should be. Damn game was so brutal with the decisions you could make. Fall out 2 nostalgia wet dream.

I remember playing fall out too and having a random encounter with this dude on a bridge, you had to answer 3 questions I think, straight up monty python and the holy grail reference. I killed him or something and he dropped a purple robe. the purple robe made me a god basically, I would punch people and they would fly across the room. Shit like that is what makes fall out awesome haha

I agree, I originally thought from the screenshots that it was gamebryo, but after watching the trailer it doesn't seem to be.
Whats funny is I watched the trailer thinking, "Man, this barely looks better than FO3", and then I went and looked at FO3, and this is way better even though its not comparable to the likes of Crysis or something.

edit: seems like its the Creation engine, which is what Skyrim was based on, which is basically an updated version of Gamebryo

Last edited:
I'd have preferred they put it on an id engine as well, but it doesn't look bad at all really. Not state of the art, but I could get lost in there for a while. No complaints here so far.

Trailer was great, depressing as hell but that's the aura of the game. Graphics are meh but who cares because the game will be excellent I bet.

I just hope there's a better combat system. The shooting in this game was always kinda clunky.

Either way....I'll be pre-ordering!

The neck seams were gone in Skyrim. It's definitely Gamebyro from the way the environment looks and the models move. Bethesda always modifies it with every game release to make it look slightly better. It's not a bad engine, just graphically it's lacking. I do love how mod friendly gamebyro is and how easy it is to design new content.

There are mods for Skyrim to remove neck seams, they were definitely still there. It's fine if it's Gamebryo in name alone, but it's got limitations that are immersion breaking for me. That's not to say it will be for everyone and my perspective should not impact anyone else and hopefully gives no offense.

I just will feel like I am playing "every other Bethesda" game if it's the same old engine, not Fallout 4.

graphics look a lot better to me then previous Fallout games...everything looks crisper with better lighting...previous games looked a bit washed out

Trailer was great, depressing as hell but that's the aura of the game. Graphics are meh but who cares because the game will be excellent I bet.

I just hope there's a better combat system. The shooting in this game was always kinda clunky.

Either way....I'll be pre-ordering!

I liked using VATS but outside of VATS I, too, hope they tightened up the shooting gameplay and refined it a bit.

I'd take an amazing, expansive, immersive, game whose graphics are perfectly happy bathing in a pool of mediocrity... Over a beautiful game that's boring and I stop playing after 20 hours.

I've wasted so much of my life in FO3 & NV and Skyrim. Once I beat games like Far Cry 3 and 4, Crysis 2 & 3, even Metro 2033 & LL, etc.. I just stop playing entirely, only revisit for benching.

That being said. I think FO4 looks pretty good by the trailer and will obv get way better with mods. Guaranteed there will be a thread with your best FO4 SS.

Heavily modified as in something where the textures don't blur and pop in and out of existence all of a sudden? ;)

Other than that, yeah, I like the Id Tech 5 engine. I also like CryEngine 3. Frankly there are a number of superior options out there that I would have rather seen but obviously that's water under the bridge now.

If this game comes out and it's not "Bugthesda" which is what we have seen to varying degrees with their previous games in the early goings then that will go a long ways.

Bethesda enjoys an amazing amount of grace on that considering how long we all wait for them to get a game out.

I've watched Ubisoft, EA, and more recently a far more sympathetic company like CDPR get thrown under the bus for way less than some of the BS we've all put up with from Bethesda over the years.

So we'll see.

Exactly. You've worded it better than what I'd put for a midnight brain dump about FO4. :)

There are mods for Skyrim to remove neck seams, they were definitely still there. It's fine if it's Gamebryo in name alone, but it's got limitations that are immersion breaking for me. That's not to say it will be for everyone and my perspective should not impact anyone else and hopefully gives no offense.

I just will feel like I am playing "every other Bethesda" game if it's the same old engine, not Fallout 4.

The only neck seams in Skyrim are from custom texture mods. There were little to no seams in Skyrim compared to FO3/Oblivion/NV where everyone had chest burns. I just hate how the Gamebyro handles FPS shooters, it just doesn't feel fluid, which is why I couldn't get immersed in NV because of how wide open the landscapes were but shooting was a pain.

Exactly. You've worded it better than what I'd put for a midnight brain dump about FO4. :)

All that being said: It's a day one preorder without question and something I know I'll lose several hundred hours on. :D

It's a holiday for me the day this game comes out. Christmas comes early most likely.

Even the bulk of the usual "never preorder" folks are going to break rank for this one and we all know it even if some of them don't admit it. ;)

Just saw the 4k screenshot from fallout4.com... I'm fine with it... Looks like actual hi-res textures this time.. Probably purely 64bit.. It better be.. And honestly.. If the textures were too crisp and HD.. It would completely lose the Fallout "feel"

http://content.bethsoft.com/bsw_cms_asset/46892_2_0.jpg

The textures are ok, could be better, the rust for example is flat and has no depth. The lightshafts through the window an dust are a nice touch. View distance looks bad as usual for Gamebyro, flat textures and barren landscape. Loving the colors though, good contrast and no more depressing grays, greens or browns. Shadows have some of that typical gamebyro blockiness in certain areas. Of course that's just me being picky, I will still play the fuck out of this game.

Last edited:
The textures are ok, could be better, the rust for example is flat and has no depth. The lightshafts through the window an dust are a nice touch. View distance looks bad as usual for Gamebyro, flat textures and barren landscape. Loving the colors though, good contrast and no more depressing grays, greens or browns.

Yeah.. That's one of the first things I noticed.. "Whoa.. An actual color spectrum!!"

Yeah I don't think that's a bug, Fallout is known for it's crazy looking Macgyver weapons.

If you look in the 4k screenshot (on the left side of the garage).. That rifle looks the same.. Looks like some kind of EMP/Laser device and not a true rifle.

Was just about to post the same thing.

I honestly don't care about the graphics, they look good enough for me. I can not wait to get my hands on this game.

Back