Fallout 4

^^^ I had to select the DLC to get it to download, did not occur automatically for me.

same here.. had to manually install (I have no DLC installed or purchased prior)

Hey guys, I just started playing FO4 after building my new rig a few months ago. I modified it to run at 3440x1440 and I cannot for the life of my find a way to maintain over 60 fps in a city. I'm still in the very beginning of the game at the power plant for one of the first side quests and there is clearly some sort of issue going on. When outside I surrounded by a lot of buildings I can literally drop from 90 frames to 50 just by turning slightly and not really changing the complexity of what is being rendered.

I have played around with shadow distance and god rays and while it does make a little difference, my frames still hit that low of 45-60. It's really taking away from the playability.
The only other real setting I've altered in the .ini is iPresentInterval to 0. I was also using an FPS cap (98 FPS) in RTSS but I recently turned that off and used NVCP Vsync instead (along with Gsync enabled). Didn't seem to make much of a difference.

All other games run fine and hit expected numbers.

Any advice for this poor soul?

Try turning down shadows but it probably won't help much, the game is somewhat CPU bound in certain areas even with a good CPU. I've read that the draw calls are single threaded and that the amount of draw calls for shadows skyrockets in some places, I'm not sure how accurate that is but it does fit the symptoms since lowering GPU intensive options doesn't really help and it's even worse on slower CPUs.

Try turning down shadows but it probably won't help much, the game is somewhat CPU bound in certain areas even with a good CPU. I've read that the draw calls are single threaded and that the amount of draw calls for shadows skyrockets in some places, I'm not sure how accurate that is but it does fit the symptoms since lowering GPU intensive options doesn't really help and it's even worse on slower CPUs.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, turning down settings doesn't help. It seemed pretty clear to me that it was something CPU-wise as one core was at 60-80% usage while the others were in the 40's. Figured a 6700k would be strong enough. Maybe I'll start OCing it and see if it helps. I've looked at a few other tweaks that I am going to attempt tonight but I'm not very optimistic.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, turning down settings doesn't help. It seemed pretty clear to me that it was something CPU-wise as one core was at 60-80% usage while the others were in the 40's. Figured a 6700k would be strong enough. Maybe I'll start OCing it and see if it helps. I've looked at a few other tweaks that I am going to attempt tonight but I'm not very optimistic.
Clock your ram.

Clock your ram.

That was one of the tweaks I was going to try. I was going to enable XMP for 3200MHz and test. Currently have XMP disabled in preparation for OCing so my RAM is running at 2133MHz at the moment.

That was one of the tweaks I was going to try. I was going to enable XMP for 3200MHz and test. Currently have XMP disabled in preparation for OCing so my RAM is running at 2133MHz at the moment.
lol, theres your problem.
FO4 is one of the few games that scales well with memory speed over 3200MHz.
2133Mhz is holding it back.

lol, theres your problem.
FO4 is one of the few games that scales well with memory speed over 3200MHz.
2133Mhz is holding it back.

Alas, OCing the memory did not work. I can however get the game to run very smoothly when I don't run into those weird dips. I also noticed that the dips occur when I'm viewing a lot of objects from a far distance. My frames are normally 80-98 with 100% GPU usage and when I get the dips it goes to 55 with around 70% GPU usage. Why does the game decide not to use that extra 30% when looking in certain areas? So odd. Below are links to two screenshots that give me the same issue. Unfortunately it did not capture the RTSS data but what I am viewing is what gives me the weak GPU utilization.

https://i.imgur.com/SiUtg0h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/626JW2g.jpg

EDIT: Well I found a solution in a mod. Dynamic shadow (shadow boost) mod helped me maintain above 90% GPU usage in the troubled areas. Haven't noticed any visual degradation and frames never went below 77.

Last edited:
Alas, OCing the memory did not work. I can however get the game to run very smoothly when I don't run into those weird dips. I also noticed that the dips occur when I'm viewing a lot of objects from a far distance. My frames are normally 80-98 with 100% GPU usage and when I get the dips it goes to 55 with around 70% GPU usage. Why does the game decide not to use that extra 30% when looking in certain areas? So odd. Below are links to two screenshots that give me the same issue. Unfortunately it did not capture the RTSS data but what I am viewing is what gives me the weak GPU utilization.

https://i.imgur.com/SiUtg0h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/626JW2g.jpg

EDIT: Well I found a solution in a mod. Dynamic shadow (shadow boost) mod helped me maintain above 90% GPU usage in the troubled areas. Haven't noticed any visual degradation and frames never went below 77.
Your ram doesnt work at 3200MHz?

Hey all,

Popping in to say that I felt there was an element missing from Fallout 4. That is C4 with a Detonator.

Remote Explosives - C4 with Detonators and More by fadingsignal has fulfilled that void. I am impressed with it even though there is a minor issue with reverse pickpocketing (i.e. explosives from mod are not quite as powerful as other vanilla explosives; stock game issue; being worked on).

I loved having C4 in Fallout: New Vegas. Actually made a quick video using C4 on the Legion:

Yeah, I like having to blowing shit up just like many others. This mod makes it even more fun. :)

That is some cool news. Separate mod located in Seattle, WA. I wonder if they are going to recreate the Needle Restaurant? Would be awesome if they did. 500 feet above the landscape would be a kickass view in the Fallout world.

FYI: I've been in the Needle Restaurant. A bit expensive but the food was well worth the price.

That is some cool news. Separate mod located in Seattle, WA. I wonder if they are going to recreate the Needle Restaurant? Would be awesome if they did. 500 feet above the landscape would be a kickass view in the Fallout world.

FYI: I've been in the Needle Restaurant. A bit expensive but the food was well worth the price.
Unfortunately it will need long distance detail turning up a lot to see anything worthwhile.
A bad side effect of this is triggering quests prematurely.

Fallout 4 free to play weekend on Steam for first time ever. Starts now.

Also on sale for 67% off.

Last edited:
I've found myself revisiting this friend the last few days and trying out some mods.

I've really got some spring cleaning I need to do but don't want to lose my saves and some of the work I've put in to some of this.

I really wish Bethesda had done at least one more Far Harbor caliber DLC and released the toolkit for the modders. If I'm not mistaken they are still using Skyrim's. (?)

gee i am still to play all the dlcs, when i finished the game there was none :p

You're in for some good times. Especially Far Harbor.

Hey AceGoober

Are you still playing this game or messing around with it any more? Any new good tricks and discoveries?

I just tried out Project Lunar and if that modder is ever able to get it off the ground it could be something.

http://www.falloutcascadia.com/

^^ One year anniversary... they're still plugging away.

Last edited:

My cousin proposed to his (then fiance, now wife) in the Needle Restaurant a little over 10 years ago :)

Currently in the process of reinstalling Fallout 4 and reinstalling mods. Had to due to long term instability from pushing the engine too far with high resolution graphics and script heavy mods. Wiped my characters as well. Figured since I am starting clean might as well remove the old characters and start anew.

Hey AceGoober

Are you still playing this game or messing around with it any more? Any new good tricks and discoveries?

I just tried out Project Lunar and if that modder is ever able to get it off the ground it could be something.

http://www.falloutcascadia.com/

^^ One year anniversary... they're still plugging away.

My VRAM usage with HD Textures, 4K resolution and a 1080Ti is hitting 10344MB - that's nearly maxing a 11GB GPU.. comedy. I have no mods installed. Game is smooth as hell though.

Last edited:
Currently in the process of reinstalling Fallout 4 and reinstalling mods. Had to due to long term instability from pushing the engine too far with high resolution graphics and script heavy mods. Wiped my characters as well. Figured since I am starting clean might as well remove the old characters and start anew.

AceGoober

Today is the day. I'm doing this myself. It's going to be a lot leaner and pickier. A lot of that Snap and Build stuff and such isn't getting a repeat. I learned a lot of dos and don't thanks to you and others here in that first playthrough. :)

https://reshade.me/

I noticed ReShade is up to 3.07. I really liked using their sharpener combined with the game's TAA to get the best result.

EDIT: Good grief, this game is 85.6 gigs in size in total for all DLCs, content, and high rez texture pack.

Last edited:
AceGoober

I noticed ReShade is up to 3.07. I really liked using their sharpener combined with the game's TAA to get the best result.

EDIT: Good grief, this game is 85.6 gigs in size in total for all DLCs, content, and high rez texture pack.

Reshade + DLCs, HiRez texture pack + TAA, tons of mods (including some mesh mods) and 4K make for occasional bumps into the 8GB VRAM range (as well as the inevitable slowdown just outside of Goodneighbor) -- it was the main reason why I sold my GTX 980 Ti and got a Zotac GTX 1070 Mini instead (back when it was on sale).
Next up for me will be (most likely) a custom GTX 1080 Ti to max out most of the settings (along with a new rig).

AceGoober :

Amazing how much better this game runs without all that Settlement Keyword, Homemaker, Snap and Build, and all that other stuff I had going on. I don't even know if I have the nerve to tread back into any "Settlement mods" unless someone knows of "really" safe and solid bets.

I'd be interested to see where you're at with all of this.

Right now this and Reshade 3.0 for a little bit of sharpening to offset TAA's vaseline blur are all I'm running:

My load order:
GameMode=Fallout4
Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
DLCUltraHighResolution.esm=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
TrueStormsFO4.esm=1
Armorsmith Extended.esp=1
Armorsmith All DLCs Patch.esp=1
MGSOutfit.esp=1 (I might play the entire game as Snake as much it allows me to. This is really cool)
EasyLockpicking.esp=1
Fusebox Generator.esp=1
EasyHacking.esp=1
Faster Terminal Displays (20x).esp=1
EAMR.esp=1
ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks-DLCVersion.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-FarHarbor.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-EarlierSunsets.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-EarlierSunsetsFH.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-NukaWorld-FH-Compat.esp=1
DarkerNights.esp=1
DarkerNightsDetection.esp=1

Last edited:
Settlement Keywords and any mod that relies on SK are definitely out. Playing without SK has been very enjoyable and mods are easier to manage.

I got rid of Snap'n Build. While a great mod, the objects are difficult to use with vanilla game objects. At least, easily. Homemaker is a good mod but with the number of objects it adds, many of which I don't use, it is out of the picture as well.

I'm roughly 15% complete installing mods. Been a busy weekend so I haven't been able to devote a lot of time to Fallout 4. Hopefully I'll get some time this week to install the remainder of mods I want to use.

Your load order looks good to me. (y)

AceGoober :

Amazing how much better this game runs without all that Settlement Keyword, Homemaker, Snap and Build, and all that other stuff I had going on. I don't even know if I have the nerve to tread back into any "Settlement mods" unless someone knows of "really" safe and solid bets.

Right now this and Reshade 3.0 for a little bit of sharpening to offset TAA's vaseline blur are all I'm running:

My load order:
GameMode=Fallout4
Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
TrueStormsFO4.esm=1
MGSOutfit.esp=1 (I might play the entire game as Snake as much it allows me to. This is really cool)
EasyLockpicking.esp=1
Fusebox Generator.esp=1
EasyHacking.esp=1
EAMR.esp=1
DarkerNights.esp=1

AceGoober :

My load order:
GameMode=Fallout4
Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
TrueStormsFO4.esm=1
EasyLockpicking.esp=1
Fusebox Generator.esp=1
EasyHacking.esp=1
EAMR.esp=1
DarkerNights.esp=1

Are you planning on using DEF_UI and/or Unofficial Patch?

I haven't played in quite some time, but I'm also tempted to "start over". Anyone have experience with any overhaul mods and/or ones that significantly change up the start of the game?

^^ Another Life Mod looks great. I loved its variant back on Skyrim.

Are you planning on using DEF_UI and/or Unofficial Patch?

Yes, it's there. One of several things that doesn't show up in that list. That and Vlad Sorting. 4K Color satellite map, Black PIP Boy, Valentine Reborn, and some other odds and ends like that.

Not using Unofficial patch yet. I'll read up on it.

Anyone here using it?

Last edited:
Yeah, that one definitely looks promising.

I'm liking the look of the changes made by the "War Never Changes" overhaul mod, too... http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19642/?

I have never modded FO before so I gave this mod you listed a try, in adition to unofficial patch. So far my new game I have about 6 places discovered and now need to take corvega. The difficulty in game is set to normal, I previously beat vanilla on very hard, the difficulty with this mod is exponential in comparison. I am currently on normal and Im getting 2-3 hit death by raiders meanwhile they can still take 4-6. Ghouls are still weak attackers. The damage is swung too far for raiders (so far) in my opinion. The new item tags are somewhat distracting but I suspect they will become normal/comfortable after a while.

AceGoober

Try with the SMAA Injector or FXAA with full intensity this last provide better sharpness than the FXAA provided by the game and by the Nvidia control panel without blurry.. personally I use SMAA injector it's way better option than TAA + Lumasharpen as it don't blurry while in movement, and without that "glow" effect due the extra sharpening which was a dealbreaker for me using the mod Darker nights as it made the characters glow in the nights.. SMAA + 4K DSR (1080P panel here) is the better i've found for that kind of visual.

for settlements im using the Sim Settlement mod, one of the best mods ever used by me in this game, I think it should be even part of the game haha. highly recommended to anyone here

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Back