Fallout 4

Haven't heard anything, but I don't usually (or rather, I avoid it) play anything that requires precision aiming with a controller, so I haven't been paying much attention.

On a different note, how do you move settlers to other settlements? I can only figure out how to assign them on a supply route, but not moving them completely...

Highlight a settler like you would be assigning them to a task like working on crops or a store and select the "move" option and you can send them to whatever settlements come up.

Any updates on the ability to switch between keyboard/mouse and a controller on the fly?

I put this game down awhile ago bc it frustrated me so much that you couldn't do this simple task.

This would be nice; I prefer to lounge on my futon with a gamepad while exploring (not doing major quests.)

AFAIK, FO3 or FO:NV never did get this functionality, so I'm not holding my breath for it. I could probably mess around with my steam controller and get it to mimic the kb+m instead.

I will say that the game does play better with a gamepad, but they used that as an easy out to destroy the dialog choices.

However, I am running into a severe shortage of copper, screws, oil

Oil shipment:
KLEO at Good Neighbor, Trashcan Carla at Bunker Hill

Copper shipment:
KLEO at Good Neighbor, Arturo at Diamond City Market

Screws shipment:
Arturo at Diamond City Market, Trashcan Carla at Bunker Hill

Maxson was never in Cali. Not this Maxson.

How do you know? Pretty sure there was an elder maxson in the originals. Guess I just assumed they were the same.

Edit: The wiki explained it all. Going to ha e to go back through fallout 3 since I apparently forgot he was a kid there.

Last edited:
I never actually needed to buy much in the game. I have something like 17K in caps, which is a ton for 99% of items, but barely enough for the uber-expensive stuff. Most aren't all that good either. A few are amazing (like the Overseers Guardian and Big Boy) but the rest are just like the random legendary drops you get left and right.
Armor-wise, most of the stuff for sale is exactly the same as random drops.

I am usually at a severe caps deficit, but it's because I am setting up 'emporium' shops (all six of them) in each settlement.

Although it kinda sucks - they all share resources so they all have the same items to sell and the same small pool of caps to draw from, so you cannot sell a bunch of stuff to the general trader in, say, Sanctuary, then go sell a bunch to the general trader in Red Rocket.

I've been mostly using Sanctuary as my main base and just got to around level 22 or so and did the Castle stuff.

Does anyone make that their new main base? It seems like you'd get more trader traffic etc being more centrally located.

How do you know?

Like, ya know, read stuff.

Pretty sure there was an elder maxson in the originals. Guess I just assumed they were the same.

Edit: The wiki explained it all. Going to ha e to go back through fallout 3 since I apparently forgot he was a kid there.

Funny thing is, Arthur Maxson is only 20 years old in Fallout 4. He looks to be about 40. But I suppose the last 5 years or so have been some hard, stressful living.

I've been mostly using Sanctuary as my main base and just got to around level 22 or so and did the Castle stuff.

Does anyone make that their new main base? It seems like you'd get more trader traffic etc being more centrally located.

I converted the castle to my main base but I've seen no increased trader traffic; actually I don't think I've seen any traders show up at the castle period. I've seen traders fairly frequently at Sanctuary, Warwick Homestead and one other place I can't remember. It has a greenhouse but it isn't Graygarden.

I just got the caravan posts unlocked.

How does this thing help me solve my caps issues? By providing me with more people to sell loot to or does it passively generate caps for me in some way?

I just have my whole posse of characters (along with workbenches and whatnot) stashed in Sanctuary. The only one who isn't there is Preston and that's just because I got tired of him giving me missions I don't want.
It isn't pretty, but I don't really have that gene that makes me want to build stuff. Plus, I still don't like the workshop interface. I never did figure out how to get money for random things, but luckily I don't need it. I have a full set of maxed out X-01 Mk. VI and more weapons than I know what to do with, which is really all I wanted.
I do wish there were more plot-based missions that weren't tied to the various factions. Stuff like the robots on the Constitution.

Is there a command to loot junk from a place you have cleared? Like take all the stupid cans, brushes, cram, etc and just drop it into your inventory? Instead of going through and picking up every single item?

Stores generate cash. You can also sell resources from your settlement. The more stores you have the more resources you can sell. You can also "invest" 500 caps per store type to bump their total buying ability. As an example, I go to sanctuary and collect 171 water from resources. With my max CHR & vendor stuff I get 16 caps each or 2736 for the batch. But vendor with +500 only has 928. So repeat with a couple more vendors to sell it all.

Lot of people do use it. In my experience it takes longer to get it up and running properly(getting settlers to show up) than many of the other sites. One of the things that baffles me is why people say its centrally located when in reality it isn't. Its off to the east side and down the map.That's not centrally located in my thinking. However it does make for a good stronghold once you set it up.

Lot of people do use it. In my experience it takes longer to get it up and running properly(getting settlers to show up) than many of the other sites. One of the things that baffles me is why people say its centrally located when in reality it isn't. Its off to the east side and down the map.That's not centrally located in my thinking. However it does make for a good stronghold once you set it up.

I use abernathy farm or starlight drive in as central bases, because both have a huge empty area to play with.

Anyway probably the most centrally located settlement you can have is hangman's alley, but there is no build space there. And I found out there that you can exceed the building area going up too :-D

When you have access to the Institute base use that as a fast travel relay point. Since you teleport in and out you only have 1 minute of game time pass as opposed to a couple of in game hours or more when traveling from one side of the map to another. This helps out on quests that have a time limit or if you were waiting to get to one in your que. Mostly it only affects Minutemen radiant quests but still nice to have.

Gah. How do you assign a settler to do anything? I'm level 9 and haven't figured that out. I approach them and then? I'm using an Xbox controller.

Is there a command to loot junk from a place you have cleared? Like take all the stupid cans, brushes, cram, etc and just drop it into your inventory? Instead of going through and picking up every single item?
There is a console command that will clean up everything but use with extreme caution as it will scrap any workstations with the exception of the main red one. If you don't have the local leader perk to allow you to rebuild workstations that could be a problem. The command is "scrapall" without the quotes.

Gah. How do you assign a settler to do anything? I'm level 9 and haven't figured that out. I approach them and then? I'm using an Xbox controller.

It tells you. Press Y or A for assign or go. Go to the crop or defense station and select that and press the corresponding button.

What settlement would you guys say make for the most 'defensible' settlement?

I am guessing Covenant would make a good place, I am planning to throw all of the level 4 merchants in there to make it my go to stop for converting things to caps. I was thinking of making Castle my merchant base, especially since Ronnie Shaw is there too, but the place is too damn open and it's too good of a place to set up a water purifier base (not many other settlements I am aware of is surrounded by that much water).

I might be over thinking this problem though.

It tells you. Press Y or A for assign or go. Go to the crop or defense station and select that and press the corresponding button.

Thanks. I'll check it out tonight. I can believe I missed it, been preoccupied.

What settlement would you guys say make for the most 'defensible' settlement?

I am guessing Covenant would make a good place, I am planning to throw all of the level 4 merchants in there to make it my go to stop for converting things to caps. I was thinking of making Castle my merchant base, especially since Ronnie Shaw is there too, but the place is too damn open and it's too good of a place to set up a water purifier base (not many other settlements I am aware of is surrounded by that much water).

I might be over thinking this problem though.

Trust me go with the Castle the place is a literal fortress. You can fill in the gaps in the falls using the wooden floors with foundation blocks; I sealed the place up, set up a generator tower and the place is tight as a drum. I'll try and link some pictures of it if you'd like to see.

Trust me go with the Castle the place is a literal fortress. You can fill in the gaps in the falls using the wooden floors with foundation blocks; I sealed the place up, set up a generator tower and the place is tight as a drum. I'll try and link some pictures of it if you'd like to see.

Yeah, the Castle is my base too. Literally a fortress. Except I hate the fact that the idiot NPCs inside will rush OUTSIDE at the first sign of any attack. Pisses me off.

Yeah, the Castle is my base too. Literally a fortress. Except I hate the fact that the idiot NPCs inside will rush OUTSIDE at the first sign of any attack. Pisses me off.

Line the top of the wall with 4 rocket turrets and one laser turret that you find in the armory and the stuff will be dead before a single settler gets outside. Here's a link to my Steam screenshots so you can see some of what I did.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198018803080/screenshots/?appid=377160

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll check it out tonight. I can believe I missed it, been preoccupied.

A LOT of that stuff is context-based, meaning you actually have to select the settler and then aim at the thing you want to assign them to. It's no wonder why people miss it, considering it's never really explained, either.

Oh yeah, my last post I already did exactly that. Actually lined it up with 8 rocket turrets and 3 heavy machine guns. :D

My castle has 20 heavy laser 4 rocket along the wall with the only entrance which has 2 more lasers in the door way the other walls and the center tower has some heavy lasers.

You can also raid the Wilson Atomatoys Corporate HQ (east of Diamond City) and pick up all the Giddyup Buttercup toys, the ones that look like little horses, and scrap them. I can usually get about 50 screws in one sweep. And I get steel, springs and gears in the process!

You can also raid the Wilson Atomatoys Corporate HQ (east of Diamond City) and pick up all the Giddyup Buttercup toys, the ones that look like little horses, and scrap them. I can usually get about 50 screws in one sweep. And I get steel, springs and gears in the process!

One toy factory raid coming up.

Also, out of pure curiosity, what foods, besides Corn, Mutfruit and Tate, serves a useful function for you besides feeding settlers?

I am going on a major settlement overhaul project over the weekend, and I am planning to replace every food source in every settlement with just those 3.

Also, out of pure curiosity, what foods, besides Corn, Mutfruit and Tate, serves a useful function for you besides feeding settlers?

I am going on a major settlement overhaul project over the weekend, and I am planning to replace every food source in every settlement with just those 3.

Outfit your secondary settlements with Mutfrut only but plant Mutfruit, Corn and Tato at your primary settlement(s) with 3 of each and 1 purified water you can make vegetable starch at cooking stations which gives you 5 adhesives..

Early on I found that I was short on workbench supplies a lot. After taking the perk that grants things like screws and aluminum for scrapping random weapons, that went away. After most missions or random exploring I'd return with a dozen or so weapons I'd scrap along with fans, cans, etc.
Last I checked, I had 200-500 of nearly everything. That's after maxing out a whole bunch of gear, too. It's a worthwhile perk if you plan on getting to at least level 40 or doing lots of weapon modding.
Fiber optics are available like crazy in the Jamaica Plain courthouse - just keep disabling and re-enabling the tripwires. That'll help with the more advanced scopes.
Adhesive is one of the few items you should always grab as literally everything seems to use it. Duct tape and glue are the only things I consistently grab now.

IMO, one of the worst perks I got was for modding melee weapons. Most of the name weapons are already maxed out and the non-name ones aren't particularly compelling enough to use instead either. Unless you're only going melee, I'd skip those.

Is there a faster way on scrapping items,other than dropping them on the floor first and then manually scrapping them?

Is there a faster way on scrapping items,other than dropping them on the floor first and then manually scrapping them?
No, unfortunately. Hopefully there will be a mod in our future once F4SE progresses further in development.
Yes, there is that. You can just choose one of the many settlement areas on the map to dedicate to scrapping so you don't accidentally mess up the ones you want to build up. You still have to drop all your junk, first.

well one thing Bethesda is always consistent on is terrible endings...if you can even call them endings.

Haylen and Rhy's in the Cambridge police station won't talk to me to put in radian quests. I had an outstanding quest from Halen that I forgot to turn it in then completed all the way through the brotherhood of steel mission quest Line. Went back to turn it in to her and she won't talk to me.

I read that she'll become hostile if you kill dance in Blind Betrayal but I saved him
And he's sitting at one of my settlements now.

I don't think I ever excepted a mission from Rhy's. Not sure if that matters.

Any ideas? I'm willing to use console commands.

After a in game time of a week you can go back and raid again supposedly and clean factory of more toys. I haven't tested that yet though.

It seems like items respawn and "cleared" areas regain enemies after the passage of time, but it's almost random. Sometimes I've had stuff (and enemies) show back up after a single day. Other times it seems like it takes weeks or longer. I've never paid much attention to the in-game calendar system, but I bet that has something to do with it.

Back