F@H Clients.

Uh oh, hope it doesn't give me a problem.. I too have 8 gigs of RAM.

Also, on average, how long does it take for your cpu to get from one step to the next? It takes my computer about 15-25 minutes per step (Which I actually thought was slow.. but I'm not sure now.) My other machine takes more than twice as long per step.

Time per frame varies greatly with different Work Units. It won't mean a whole lot without knowing what unit you're currently working on.

Ooh, that makes sense ;)

Another question.. Is there no way to stop the client (In case I need to restart or something) and open it again without losing work? Or do you have to wait until the WU is done if you want the work saved? It's at 90% now and I've been waiting to restart since I started the WU last night.. I installed some things that need a restart heh.

Also, reformatting really is the answer to everything. Before I reformatted I was having a bunch of problems.. Any time I would open a torrent, my internet would just stop working for everything else. I had a problem with constant 15-second freezing of every program, randomly all throughout the day. Not to mention the problems with F@H... Now everything is great ;)

...Too bad I forgot to move my 12,000 songs over to my second hard drive before I reinstalled Vista... ugghhhh.

Ooh, that makes sense

Another question.. Is there no way to stop the client (In case I need to restart or something) and open it again without losing work? Or do you have to wait until the WU is done if you want the work saved? It's at 90% now and I've been waiting to restart since I started the WU last night.. I installed some things that need a restart heh.
Yes, by unplugging your network cable or more conveniently, disabling the network connection in the Control Panel for a few seconds and re-enabling it. Check in Task Manager for your CPY graphs to descend on all cores. You can then proceed to shut down the client(s) and restart whenever you wish. I mentioned the procedure in more detail in the previous page.

Yes, by unplugging your network cable or more conveniently, disabling the network connection in the Control Panel for a few seconds and then re-enabling it. You can then proceed to shut down the client(s) and restart whenever you wish. I mentioned the procedure in more detail in the previous page.

what happened to the CTRL + C ???
and how about if u have a Loopback adapter?

Ooh, that makes sense ;)

Also, reformatting really is the answer to everything. Before I reformatted I was having a bunch of problems.. Any time I would open a torrent, my internet would just stop working for everything else. I had a problem with constant 15-second freezing of every program, randomly all throughout the day. Not to mention the problems with F@H... Now everything is great ;)

...Too bad I forgot to move my 12,000 songs over to my second hard drive before I reinstalled Vista... ugghhhh.

If you are running only one SMP client shutting down is easy, just click on the window so the curser is blinking and do a control + C and it will shut down right away. If those are singles you are running with the SMP do the same to them.

Now, here is the part that scares everyone and it really shouldn't. IF you are running double SMP clients simply give the power button on your machine a lite tap or quick push, don't hold it in. Windows is designed to shut down on this command and because it shuts everything down at once, nothing is lost folding wise.

I know, sounds scary, but trust me nobody reboots more then I do and I've yet to lose a thing.

As for the 8 gig of RAM part, it more or less makes the AC program ineffective so there is no need to run it, even with double SMP.

As to your songs......well......grab and install another drive and keep the good stuff there like music, documents and email files.;):p

what happened to the CTRL + C ???
That will shut the client down but you risk losing work if you have multiple clients running.

and how about if u have a Loopback adapter?
Then the network disabling method won't work.

I also want to mention that on the rare occasion I have lost work with a single SMP client by using the standard shut down method. Since the SMP client has 4 cores, they don't always shut down at the same time when you stop the client. If you quickly restart Windows and one or more cores are still processing after client shut down, you run the risk of losing the WU. It has happened to me in the past, which is why I always resort to the network shutdown method and will never install the loopback adapter.

If you are running only one SMP client shutting down is easy, just click on the window so the curser is blinking and do a control + C and it will shut down right away. If those are singles you are running with the SMP do the same to them.

Now, here is the part that scares everyone and it really shouldn't. IF you are running double SMP clients simply give the power button on your machine a lite tap or quick push, don't hold it in. Windows is designed to shut down on this command and because it shuts everything down at once, nothing is lost folding wise.

I know, sounds scary, but trust me nobody reboots more then I do and I've yet to lose a thing.

As for the 8 gig of RAM part, it more or less makes the AC program ineffective so there is no need to run it, even with double SMP.

As to your songs......well......grab and install another drive and keep the good stuff there like music, documents and email files.;):p

Thanks for the response and info :)

Sad thing is.. I DO have a second HDD that I only use so far for videos and photo albums.. I mean.. I don't even know why I didn't think to put the music on it too before reinstalling! I'm kicking myself now ;) Years and years of putting together all of that music... ahh, it makes me sad.

Sad thing is.. I DO have a second HDD that I only use so far for videos and photo albums.. I mean.. I don't even know why I didn't think to put the music on it too before reinstalling! I'm kicking myself now Years and years of putting together all of that music... ahh, it makes me sad.
A good data recovery app will probably restore a lot of what you had, enough to get a sizable chunk of what you lost.

I DO have a second HDD that I only use so far for videos ...

"videos", yeah i'm sure they are PG-13 ;) :D

Years and years of putting together all of that music... ahh, it makes me sad.

don't worry u can recover it, even if u had reformat your drive, just stop using it, put it in another PC and run some recovery software like:

Recuva
Advanced EFS Data Recovery
Data Recovery Wizard Pro
EasyRecovery Pro
GetDataBack

the problem with Vista is that install a lot o crap, my installation is 12GB !!! so u might want to use some program like vLite to install only what u need, and stop the bloatness of Vista

"videos", yeah i'm sure they are PG-13
My, my, where have our minds wondered to... ;)

don't worry u can recover it, even if u had reformat your drive, just stop using it, put it in another PC and run some recovery software like:

Recuva
Data Recovery Wizard Pro
EasyRecovery Pro
GetDataBack
Good selection of apps. :cool:

Syribo, the more you use the system, the less you'll be able to recover if you intend to do so because the HD is constantly being written to. I advise trying one of the apps leSLIe suggested above and see if you can recover some of the music you lost.

"videos", yeah i'm sure they are PG-13 ;) :D

Recuva
Data Recovery Wizard Pro
EasyRecovery Pro
GetDataBack

the problem with Vista is that install a lot o crap, my installation is 12GB !!! so u might want to use some program like vLite to install only what u need, and stop the bloatness of Vista

LOL Actually... yeah... there ARE some videos that aren't PG-13 on that drive ;) Along with all of my anime too heh.

I actually don't notice any 'bloat' in Vista. I couldn't be happier with Vista :) Albeit, I definitely had a corrupted install before but I don't think that was really Vista's fault. EVERYTHING is SO much better on this install! It's just amazing. I'm so pleased that F@H finally works too :) So so pleased.

Actually... yeah... there ARE some videos that aren't PG-13 on that drive ;) Along with all of my anime too heh.

:eek: :p

I actually don't notice any 'bloat' in Vista. I couldn't be happier with Vista :) Albeit, I definitely had a corrupted install before but I don't think that was really Vista's fault. EVERYTHING is SO much better on this install! It's just amazing. I'm so pleased that F@H finally works too :) So so pleased.

I have Vista Ultimate, and one of the things that i don't like for example is having 600MB of printer drivers that i'm never gonna use. Give vLite a spin, you won't regret it

My, my, where have our minds wondered to... ;)

Good selection of apps. :cool:

Syribo, the more you use the system, the less you'll be able to recover if you intend to do so because the HD is constantly being written to. I advise trying one of the apps leSLIe suggested above and see if you can recover some of the music you lost.

I have a feeling that I won't be able to recover anything... Before I reformatted, I tried to install something (Some kind of theme for Vista... not WindowBlinds, but something else.. can't remember it now) and it totally messed up my computer. It's what made me FINALLY take the jump to reformat. Every time I turned it on, I would get some kind of error message right when Windows would begin to log into my account(s). That's as far as it would go.

I think the program moved a .dll file or something that I needed :( If not for losing my music (Which I've already began building up.. 2000 songs back so far! ;)), it was a GOOD thing that program screwed up my install since it finally got me to stop being lazy and just reformat already :)

I have a feeling that I won't be able to recover anything... Before I reformatted, I tried to install something (Some kind of theme for Vista... not WindowBlinds, but something else.. can't remember it now) and it totally messed up my computer. It's what made me FINALLY take the jump to reformat. Every time I turned it on, I would get some kind of error message right when Windows would begin to log into my account(s). That's as far as it would go.

I think the program moved a .dll file or something that I needed :( If not for losing my music (Which I've already began building up.. 2000 songs back so far! ;)), it was a GOOD thing that program screwed up my install since it finally got me to stop being lazy and just reformat already :)
I understand but trying out one recovery app will be a learning experience (was for me back in the 90s) and who knows, you might get most of what you lost. It's not always a total loss even after a reformat.

I understand but trying out one recovery app will be a learning experience (was for me back in the 90s) and who knows, you might get most of what you lost. It's not always a total loss even after a reformat.

If I do that, will it mess up the install I have on it now?

Oh wow... I want to do this.. But the only other computer I have is my old Dell, which only has IDE.. no SATA ports :(

well it's recommended to run that from another PC, but still u can install the recovery app in that other hard drive, no problem. Just make sure that u put the recovered files in that other hard drive

Oh wow... I want to do this.. But the only other computer I have is my old Dell, which only has IDE.. no SATA ports :(
If you're truly serious about getting your stuff back, perhaps you should inquire in the Disk Storage forum about the best course of action. There are a lot of very knowledgeable peeps there who can really help you out.

I'm not promising that it's going to work.... but Recuva is brain dead easy to use and it certainly won't hurt anything to try it out.....it's free, so why not try it?

Anyhow, I have had some success with it, and like I said, if it doesn't work, no harm done. And if it doesn't, you'll have a good excuse to gorge yourself on tamales and cheap ass beer......but then, I suppose if it does work, then you'll once again have an excuse to gorge yourself on tamales and cheap ass beer......

Sounds like a win win situation to me:)

Oh....and Daemonite... thanks for folding!!

I'm not promising that it's going to work.... but Recuva is brain dead easy to use and it certainly won't hurt anything to try it out.....it's free, so why not try it?

Recuva is a nice little free app, but the problem is that it's not very powerful, in some experiences that i had, it didn't get some files that were easily recovered by some more advanced recovery software

And if it doesn't, you'll have a good excuse to gorge yourself on tamales and cheap ass beer......

well, that's way too much carbohydrates !!! gotta hit the gym after that !! :p u don't want to get Syribo fat don't ya ? :D

Anyhow, I have had some success with it, and like I said, if it doesn't work, no harm done. And if it doesn't, you'll have a good excuse to gorge yourself on tamales and cheap ass beer......but then, I suppose if it does work, then you'll once again have an excuse to gorge yourself on tamales and cheap ass beer......

Sounds like a win win situation to me:)

Oh....and Daemonite... thanks for folding!!

I'm going to try it out I think... But now I'm already back up to 3,000 songs, so I may not need to do it... But I KNOW there will be songs I forgot all about and will never find them again :p I'm going to try the recovery thing tomorrow when I wake up indeed :)

Recuva is a nice little free app, but the problem is that it's not very powerful, in some experiences that i had, it didn't get some files that were easily recovered by some more advanced recovery software

True, but the more powerful ones aren't free, and some are a real pain in the ass to use..... but your right, they will save more data:)

well, that's way too much carbohydrates !!! gotta hit the gym after that !! :p

That's why they make cheap ass light beer.....although I have never seen a "diet" tamale, and the day I do, I will kill myself;)

well, that's way too much carbohydrates !!! gotta hit the gym after that !! :p u don't want to get Syribo fat don't ya ? :D

Mmm.. but carbs are so great :D Although, my celebratory foods of choice would be a nice big latte with extra shots of espresso and whipped cream ;) Along with some homemade cookies. I've actually never had a tamale before :eek:

I've actually never had a tamale before :eek:

WHAT?!?!?!

Okay..... listen.....they are like the unofficial/official food of the [H]orde....kind of....well, mostly cause I said so, what ever that's worth:p

You have to try some.... green chili and or pork are the best in my opinion. There are also some "desert" type that are really sweet, my kids love em'.... really, find an authentic Mexican restaurant and give one a try.... or a dozen, you'll be glad you did.

Mmm.. but carbs are so great :D Although, my celebratory foods of choice would be a nice big latte with extra shots of espresso and whipped cream ;) Along with some homemade cookies.
Sounds perfect to me!!

I've actually never had a tamale before :eek:
Me neither. Being Canadian, there's not much availability in Mexican fare up here in the GWN unfortunately. :(

WHAT?!?!?!

Okay..... listen.....they are like the unofficial/official food of the [H]orde....kind of....well, mostly cause I said so, what ever that's worth:p

You have to try some.... green chili and or pork are the best in my opinion. There are also some "desert" type that are really sweet, my kids love em'.... really, find an authentic Mexican restaurant and give one a try.... or a dozen, you'll be glad you did.

I'll have to try them :) I'm a very very picky person when it comes to food.. I'm worse than most little children. I don't like any kind of Chinese, Japanese, or ANY Asian cuisine.. Don't like Jamaican or Haitian or French or Russian or Greek food ;)

Mexican food though... Awesome stuff. I have a weakness for giant beef or steak burritos... Oh great I just made myself hungry ;)

WHAT?!?!?!

Yeah tamales are great, here is a pic

tamal.gif

a Tamal with a onion dressing, great stuff :)
here in Peru, u can get some very delicious tamales, yum yum yum
hey i'm hungry!!!! aghh!! gotta raid the kitchen
(in Spanish it's tamal, plural tamales ;) )

(in Spanish it's tamal, plural tamales ;) )

Well lookie there, here I am running around acting all mister-know-it-all about the wonders of the tamal and I was unaware that the singular was pronounced that way......I am now not only ashamed but concerned that all of my neighbors think I am a simple stupid gringo.....:(

See, I live in the southwest corner of Denver.....aka little Mexico..... how am I ever going to redeem myself?

Maybe learn to speak a little Spanish....:D

how am I ever going to redeem myself?

easy, u can make a little joke outta that word. you see tamal sounds in spanish like
"ta mal" slang for "está mal" (translation "it's bad") so you can joke with the like:

do your tamal tamal or tabien?

"tabien" would be slang for "está bien" (translation "it's good")
translation would be something like: "do your tamal is bad or is good?"

Or u can use plurals, like:

Do you sell tamales or tabienes?
translation would be something like: "do you sell ta-bads or ta-goods?"

hehe, well there u go :p hope that helps

way off topic, sorry about that, from SMP Client to a picture of a tamal :D

[08:15:14] - Failed to delete work/wudata_01.sas

I got that message (And an identical one after, only thing changed is it's a .goe file, not .sas) after the SMP client finished its WU. I think it's okay though? It then said shutdown: Finished_Unit, and the results were sent successfully :)

Now to get a second client running! :)

[08:15:14] - Failed to delete work/wudata_01.sas

I got that message (And an identical one after, only thing changed is it's a .goe file, not .sas) after the SMP client finished its WU. I think it's okay though? It then said shutdown: Finished_Unit, and the results were sent successfully :)
I always get those messages. It should be OK if it sent the results successfully.

Now to get a second client running! :)
Best of luck. :)

Got the two clients running :D And showing up in FahSpy, so yay!! Thanks everyone for helping me get my lazy machines folding finally ;)

The only problem is that I still can not get FahSpy to see the F@H folder on my other computer. They're on the network together.. I can go into the folder myself, but when I use FahSpy.. I go down the list to Network, and it just shows THIS computer (My Vista machine) twice, but not the XP one. I really want to get that machines folding in FahSpy :( Hmm..

What happens when you type the address in the target box ?
//Other Computers Name/Disk Drive Share Name/Folding Folder/
That should point it at the right place.

Luck ......... :D

Got the two clients running :D And showing up in FahSpy, so yay!! Thanks everyone for helping me get my lazy machines folding finally ;)
Glad to see its working. :)

The only problem is that I still can not get FahSpy to see the F@H folder on my other computer. They're on the network together.. I can go into the folder myself, but when I use FahSpy.. I go down the list to Network, and it just shows THIS computer (My Vista machine) twice, but not the XP one. I really want to get that machines folding in FahSpy :( Hmm..
The F@H folder needs to have sharing enabled in Windows, otherwise it won't be visible to FahSpy or any other monitoring/viewing app from another computer on the network. Right click on the F@H folder and select properties. You can configure sharing by going in the 'sharing' tab if it hasn't been done already.

I had a lot of problems with monitoring over a network when I used the computer's name. try using the computers IP address instead. (e,g, \\192.168.1.33\fah2 instead of \\Computername\fah2).

And for some reason, Vista would not remember sharing passwords through reboots. So I would have to go into the shared folder via explorer and put the password in before FAHSpy would be allowed to monitor it.

I had a lot of problems with monitoring over a network when I used the computer's name. try using the computers IP address instead. (e,g, \\192.168.1.33\fah2 instead of \\Computername\fah2).
Good idea.

And for some reason, Vista would not remember sharing passwords through reboots. So I would have to go into the shared folder via explorer and put the password in before FAHSpy would be allowed to monitor it.
Vista can bring up issues and added complexity I'd rather avoid for a simple folding box. It's why I either opt for Win XP or 2000. For a folding farm, the only Vista machines I'd even think of incorporating are laptops that have it pre-installed and require Vista for full functionality, or a general purpose machine that for whatever reasons (ex. gaming) stands to benefit from Vista's advantages. Otherwise, I stick with tried and true OSes that have lower resource consumption. I'm eventually going to replace all my Win 2000 boxen with Linux as soon as I find a distro that I like and is relatively simple to install/use.

Back