F.E.A.R SP Demo

Converge said:
You dont know what your talking about, since most people really liked it. Plus its a demo, your SUPPOSED to pick out the bugs. Dont act like such a little bitch, okay?

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. Btw, how's that internet tough-guy attitude working for you?

anyone else get the sh*t scared out of them towards the end, and dont you love that particle gun, just fries up the baddies.... :D

this game runs like a warm butter on my box @ 1280x1024 (stupid dell monitor being exchanged) I am sure 1600x1050 will be possible, else, well, then I have to decide wether to get this sweet Swiftech TEC watercooling set or another 7800GTX

ah, such problems.

The demo is a reprisentation of the final release product. Hence the

Retail Version 1.0 Demo
at the bottom right hand corner. I expect to see nVidia and ATI tweaking away for it in drivers however.

I am surprised that so many people like this game.

Seems similar to D3 but it has ghost as a scary theme instead of monsters.

I really do not like this type of game a whole lot where I am afraid to walk into the next room. It is not the fear of some ghost coming out but it is the fear of dying. It is dark and hard to see so my chances of dying are a lot higher.

Anyway, I got through the demo. It is scary as in a paranormal scary movie type of way. Since D3 got such a cold reception, I am surprised this game is enjoyed by so many.

Staples said:
I really do not like this type of game a whole lot where I am afraid to walk into the next room. It is not the fear of some ghost coming out but it is the fear of dying. It is dark and hard to see so my chances of dying are a lot higher.

lol. "I also play on easy cause it decreases my chance of dying"

Staples said:
I am surprised that so many people like this game.

Seems similar to D3 but it has ghost as a scary theme instead of monsters.

Anyway, I got through the demo. It is scary as in a paranormal scary movie type of way. Since D3 got such a cold reception, I am surprised this game is enjoyed by so many.

Its amazing what some stupid slow-mo gimmik can do to such a crappy game.

the game traumatized me. now i will never have the courage to use a ladder again :'(

Karafias said:
the game traumatized me. now i will never have the courage to use a ladder again :'(

What ladder are you guys talking about? I didn't notice anything...are you talking about teh shadow?

The game causes my comp to hard lock randomly. It did let me play through the whole thing once and it was creepy as hell. I'll buy it if they fix whatever is making it lock.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
What ladder are you guys talking about? I didn't notice anything...are you talking about teh shadow?

Its in the room towards the end, where there are pipes and shit. If you go down the ladder then go back up the ladder a minute later the girl is waiting for you

I saw her the moment I got on the ladder and turned around to face the ladder.. The she shredded like paper. At the bottom of the ladder the guy freaked me out again. Wasted some ammo on him!

robble said:
I saw her the moment I got on the ladder and turned around to face the ladder.. The she shredded like paper. At the bottom of the ladder the guy freaked me out again. Wasted some ammo on him!

Did the same thing...As I was climbing down I saw the girl and said,"wow, thats kinda creepy.." and then I got to the bottom and the guy scared the $#@% out of me...

demo ran fine for me, though i'm using 1024x768 with a AthlonXP 2700+, 1 gig DDR333, 6600GT, and most settings at medium...

and yeah that little girl is freaky...and yet i would like nothing more than to put a hundred bullets through her...either that or drop kick her in the face...same goes for that cannibal guy...

but yeah i'll definitely be getting this game

Very cool game. Enjoyed the demo a lot. The hallway with the blood was pretty creepy. Can't wait for it to come out.

Opie said:
The game causes my comp to hard lock randomly. It did let me play through the whole thing once and it was creepy as hell. I'll buy it if they fix whatever is making it lock.

I had the same problem too, until I noticed it always locked when I was kicking an object around. I turned physics to minimum, and I never had the problem again...

Oh, and I loved the demo. The models looked really good, and I loved the AI. The one death script where they go down shooting is awesome. The biggest problem I saw with the game was that the level design was VERY uninspired, which surprised me since NOLF I & II had some pretty awesome levels (the same people did these games, right?).

I shot a soldier in the head once, and the head popped off while a stream of blood spurted from the trunk. Pretty unnecessary :eek:

GRR I can't even download this because my crappy ISP Millennium Digital Media. ISP stops responding every 10-15 mins and corrupts my download :mad:

that game crushes my 512 stick of DDR333, I cant wait till I get my 1gig stick back from RMA and see what it can do.

Hopefully they fix it tho, I would be sad to not be able to turn on most of the eye candy when I spent so much on this computer.

I found out what was causing my framerates to hit the crapper, when in slo-mo the bullet trail effect totally kills my 7800GTXs when using a full automatic gun.(even at 1024x768 no AA) So I must turn off the slo-mo effects to avoid my framerates being totally destroyed.

Thats good ol' Monolith optimizing for ya.

Anyone else notice that the FPS in game drops for no reason. I can run around in firefights with 40 - 60 FPS but walk around a corner with nothing going on and it drops to 23.

Bop said:
I found out what was causing my framerates to hit the crapper, when in slo-mo the bullet trail effect totally kills my 7800GTXs when using a full automatic gun.(even at 1024x768 no AA) So I must turn off the slo-mo effects to avoid my framerates being totally destroyed.

Thats good ol' Monolith optimizing for ya.

Mate, I got pretty close to what you have (ok, yours should be faster) but mine slays the demo at 1280x960 w/8xAF

I have everything max, cept soft shadows.

Even slow mo works buttery smooth.

so mate, I am thinkin the game is pretty fine.

My GTX is also doing quite well. tweak tweak tweak. It's not our God given right to put everything on maximum in all games. Tweaked I still have the best looking game I'm ever seen. Features like soft shadows are usually the first to get the axe. I think I lowered the other shadow to medium too. Thats about it, I have to check but not much else. Medium - [H]ard Shadows :)

I think the demo is just buggy as hell. Some people have no problems, others have quite a few. I have two problems that don't kill the experience, but they kind of confuse me. Nearly everytime I start up the demo one of my movement keys has become unbound, be it w,a,s, or d. Also sometimes when I quickload the game loads up with a terrible framerate, hovering around 10fps. Immediately reload the quicksave and it's back up to normal framerates. It's just a demo, let's hope the real game isn't as buggy.

Wow I must say that after all the hype I expected to be a bit disappointed but judging from the demo it was better than I could ever dream it would be. Can´t help comparing this to Doom 3 wonder how ID software feels now that Monolith does show how it´s done. That said ID didn´t do that kind of poor job at Doom 3 it was decent after all.

But the game I really got reminded of when playing F.E.A.R was System Shock 2. Better eloge to Monolith they can´t impossibly get. The atmosphere in F.E.A.R is just as thick as in SS 2 really. Maybe they can even match the suspension in Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3. That is the all time benchmark for scary fps levels. Nothing have ever come close to it.

But the great thing with F.E.A.R that it´s not about horror it´s god damn solid through and through. The action is there as well and the game engine is obviously superbed.

My comp is currently down so had to play the game with a P4 3.4 and 6800 non ULTRA. Everything maxed out except no soft shadows, no aa and 1024x768x32. Still looked gorgeous on my 22" monitor and even though it was a bit laggy sometimes in firefights I think these settings will be playable in the final game on this hardware. 4x anisotrophic btw.

But I am so looking forward to it. It has all the chances to put down Far Cry and Riddick from the FPS thrown for me. Until Bioshock comes that is :p

1024x768 AAx2 AFx4. Runs at an acceptable framerate at all times on my rig.

Issues:

Strange pause/hitching when rounding a corner to a new area (I remember doom3 did this initially when launched also). No problems afterward

Sound totally sucks on my audigy 2 value. Tried every comination of ingame options. Waaay too much treble. Mildly screechy and staticy. Bleh.

Stuff I like

Atmosphere is kinda cool. Mostly well lighted but with a bit of creepyness tossed in. Isn't annoying like doom3 was when trying to be spooky.

Guns are nifty so far. The flesh frying thing that shoots the blue shit made me squeel with delight the first time I smoked someone with it.

AI seems decent. If they catch you off-guard then they seem like they want to rush and overwhelm you, but if you are the aggressor they tend to try and take defensive positions. The flexability they have in jumping thru windows, shooting around objects, is cute. I assume they'll get harder. I did notice a bit of stupidity when it comes to me being able to lean around a corner and pop them in a small area that was exposed. They usually just sat there and took it until dead.

I like the slo-mo, well, just because I am a sucker for that. But honestly it makes things too easy. But it does make it fun. The bullet tracer effects are cool. Unsure on how it recharges yet tho.

MELE ATTACK WOOT. a++!

corpses make a cool thump when they hit the ground.

what would make it cooler

More more more more people trying to kill me at once. Framerates be damned, come and get me punks. I want 5, 10 or 15 of those dudes coming after me. A setting in game that would make it HARD would rule. Farcry pulled this off in some situations.

Ease up on the smoke. Damn, while it looks good, it was a little over the top in some areas. Just a nitpick.

I'll be buying this game.

this. game. is. beautiful :D

coping quite nicely at medium/high :D i need more ram though :p

the end bugged me though

Cali3350 said:
Well, this video is about the worst thing ive ever made. Still, it shows the nice little boom effect if anyone is interested. The reason its running so badly is because...this game is a strain on my comp. I usually get ~35fps but when recording it gets much worse.

Boom

Choppy ass frame rate! COOL EFFECT!!

Thanks for posting that. I'll have to download this when I get home from work.

God I love the nail gun nail um to the wall and just keep nailing them or meleeing them, ahhh my sick sick mind. :p

beck192 said:
I had the same problem too, until I noticed it always locked when I was kicking an object around. I turned physics to minimum, and I never had the problem again...

Oh, and I loved the demo. The models looked really good, and I loved the AI. The one death script where they go down shooting is awesome. The biggest problem I saw with the game was that the level design was VERY uninspired, which surprised me since NOLF I & II had some pretty awesome levels (the same people did these games, right?).

I shot a soldier in the head once, and the head popped off while a stream of blood spurted from the trunk. Pretty unnecessary :eek:

I already had the physics at medium. I went ahead and changed it to maximum and I was able to play through without a lock. I dont know if thats conclusive evidence of the issue, but I'll keep trying. Weird.

S0m30n3 said:
lol. "I also play on easy cause it decreases my chance of dying"
So sue me.

With a game I don't particularly like, I don't want to rebattle those heavy guards 30 times like some people around here claimed to have done.

I play most games on normal or hard if I enjoy them. Farcry is the one I am currently replaying on challenging. I am not sure I will play those last few levels again because it gets too hard and frustrating enough on normal, it could only be worse on challenging.

Yeah, I've played the demo over and over again myself. Completed Extreme difficulty 5 or 6 times now :). Last night I played it almost to completion with just the pistol, on extreme.I beat that big guy who busts through the door and his two henchman with the pistol alone. Unfortunately at the very last battle I ran out of ammo since I had to use like 3 clips to take down the big guy earlier, so I had to kill the remaining few with two well placed grenades. If only I had had one more clip :(.

Someone give me a medal :p.

Aaron_ATX said:
1024x768 AAx2 AFx4. Runs at an acceptable framerate at all times on my rig.

Issues:

Strange pause/hitching when rounding a corner to a new area (I remember doom3 did this initially when launched also). No problems afterward

Sound totally sucks on my audigy 2 value. Tried every comination of ingame options. Waaay too much treble. Mildly screechy and staticy. Bleh.

Stuff I like

Atmosphere is kinda cool. Mostly well lighted but with a bit of creepyness tossed in. Isn't annoying like doom3 was when trying to be spooky.

Guns are nifty so far. The flesh frying thing that shoots the blue shit made me squeel with delight the first time I smoked someone with it.

AI seems decent. If they catch you off-guard then they seem like they want to rush and overwhelm you, but if you are the aggressor they tend to try and take defensive positions. The flexability they have in jumping thru windows, shooting around objects, is cute. I assume they'll get harder. I did notice a bit of stupidity when it comes to me being able to lean around a corner and pop them in a small area that was exposed. They usually just sat there and took it until dead.

I like the slo-mo, well, just because I am a sucker for that. But honestly it makes things too easy. But it does make it fun. The bullet tracer effects are cool. Unsure on how it recharges yet tho.

MELE ATTACK WOOT. a++!

corpses make a cool thump when they hit the ground.

what would make it cooler

More more more more people trying to kill me at once. Framerates be damned, come and get me punks. I want 5, 10 or 15 of those dudes coming after me. A setting in game that would make it HARD would rule. Farcry pulled this off in some situations.

Ease up on the smoke. Damn, while it looks good, it was a little over the top in some areas. Just a nitpick.

I'll be buying this game.

Personally, I think the amount of enemies is fine. Also the smoke is great as are all the debris flying around. The smoke can work to your advantage. Enemies can't see you through it anymore than you can see them. At least that's the feeling I get based on how they react to it. Plus it makes shooting stuff more satisfying. The game does pull of suspense in a way Doom 3 could never do. D3 tried to repeat the same scare tactic over and over again. After awhile it got really old. ROE expansion didn't suffer from this and overall was better in my opinion.

I noticed the thing about the corners also. I don't know what it is about that. They don't seem to be able to see you when you do that.

I can tell you from doing the beta that the game itself has had numerous engine improvements. It runs alot better than it did.

Heh, just finished it on Extreme using 50% melee attacks and 50% pistol. Tried meleeing the big guy, only got one hit in before I was dead :D . I'm actually finding the melee attacks to be more efficient than using the guns most of the time. Just go into slowmo and you can usually kill every guy in the room before they have a chance to fire at you.

Downloaded the demo the other day, finally got the time to play it. While it was extremely short, I did enjoy it. Didn't show up that beautifully on my 9800 Pro, but you could still see the great graphics of the game. The slow-motion feature is simply awesome, melee attacks are very strong and the weapons are cool, especially the plasma one that vapourizes people. I will definitely buy this game, but I wish the demo was longer.

maranello575 said:
Downloaded the demo the other day, finally got the time to play it. While it was extremely short, I did enjoy it. Didn't show up that beautifully on my 9800 Pro, but you could still see the great graphics of the game. The slow-motion feature is simply awesome, melee attacks are very strong and the weapons are cool, especially the plasma one that vapourizes people. I will definitely buy this game, but I wish the demo was longer.

Yeah its very short. Even for a demo of this kind.

Kristo said:
Mate, I got pretty close to what you have (ok, yours should be faster) but mine slays the demo at 1280x960 w/8xAF

I have everything max, cept soft shadows.

Even slow mo works buttery smooth.

so mate, I am thinkin the game is pretty fine.

Ok then, download FRAPS(www.fraps.com). Get the G2A2 automatic rifle and blast away on full-auto in Slo-mo and THEN see how your framerate holds up.

Wooo! I love this game. After I get a new video card, I'm gonna' get a hold of this game!

Bop said:
Ok then, download FRAPS(www.fraps.com). Get the G2A2 automatic rifle and blast away on full-auto in Slo-mo and THEN see how your framerate holds up.

I get the same thing on both PCs , spraying in slo-mo = abysmal fps.
Doesn't seem like a bug , more likely some setting needs a little toning down.

It also seems to DEMAND more than 1GB of ram for maximum textures , otherwise i get those corner pauses that everyone seems to get.

Anyway , I really loved the demo.
The enemies just seem far more convincing than anything I've ever seen in any game.
Which makes killing them much more satisfying :D

Back