F.E.A.R. 2 demo coming tomorrow

That's fair enough, there could be something we don't know to explain why you're not getting fucked to death instantly like everyone else. Maybe you're magic or something, or it's just one of them new-fangled plot holes. I'm not too fussed, I just thought it weird that you were being attacked by all this shit but it doesn't decide to kill you instantly like everyone else, it instead prefers to just attack you a bit at a time. For some reason.

Not played this yet, I'm assuming you play the same character from the original...in the first game it's basically hinted at that you're Almas first born and that explains your psychic powers, maybe you're protected by your own power, or maybe Alma and the forces that surround her are toying with you, rather than directly killing you.

I always felt manipulated by Alma in the game but it did seem like most of her appearences weren't direclty hostile, at least while not in little ghost girl form, it was just freaky as fuck, she only attempted to harm you when she was in what is presumably her "real" form.

I'm sure it will all make sense in the end, the story behind FEAR was well constructed, I have faith the sequel will give us a similar experience.

Not played this yet, I'm assuming you play the same character from the original...in the first game it's basically hinted at that you're Almas first born and that explains your psychic powers, maybe you're protected by your own power, or maybe Alma and the forces that surround her are toying with you, rather than directly killing you.

You don't play the character from the first, but I'm sure there's some explanation as to why Alma isn't straight up killing you like the others.

Well since I doubt the 360 or PS3 will be able to run in windowed mode I'm pretty confident you won't be able to do it on the PC. I mean you could always try the "FEAR2.exe - windowed" extension or -1920 -1080 or something. But again that's a toss up and might not work properly since this game is pretty much like putting a 360 disc into the computer and having a leprechaun dance on top of your face laughing histarically wearing his Sony/Microsoft T-shirt.

You've fallen into the realm of self-parody at this point.

You've fallen into the realm of self-parody at this point.

Nothing I have said has been false, though my criticism has been harsh. In 6 month's I'll dig up this thread highlight your posts along with mine and get someone to take a screenshot of availible servers online to post along with that. I'll also throw up some reviews for strictly the PC version, and take online screenshots of the current prices you can buy this for.

I'm 100% positive of the outcome namely that this game will always suffer from consoltitis and Monolith will not change this to better support the PC other than maybe 16:10 support.

This game is just medicore at best. Someone was comparing this to Half-Life 2 and got slammed... well the guy was right. The art direction, graphics, production values etc was all superior on Half Life 2 compared to FEAR 2. I mean did anyone go outside? The mech? Seriously?

Don't make me post screenshots.... the difference is retarded. FEAR2 reminds me of something from 2002 blended with Rainbow Six Vegas. When you go into slowmo it instantly looks like the enemies are wearing life sized condoms spouting gears of war cellshaded blood.

In 6 month's I'll dig up this thread highlight your posts along with mine and get someone to take a screenshot of availible servers online to post along with that. I'll also throw up some reviews for strictly the PC version, and take online screenshots of the current prices you can buy this for.

I hope you do. Regardless of whether the game is well received it or not, it will only help to further prove what I said.

Your posts are a joke at this point.

FEAR 2's visuals defintely aren't system-raping, next-generation eye bursters, but there is no way you can possibly think that H-L2's graphics are better without at least a brain tumour or certificate of mental illness. Or blindness. The game's five years older, for a start, and though some could say that the art direction was categorically "better" - I would say it's subjective, myself - the assertion that "graphics, production values etc" are better in H-L2 is silly.

I hope you do. Regardless of whether the game is well received it or not, it will only help to further prove what I said.

Your posts are a joke at this point.

prove what I said was right? Probably, and yes this thread is one of the only ones were I have went to clamoring on the leprechaun jokes but that's just the way it is with this game. I cannot believe people are happy with such a failed attempt at a game.

I am a FPS'er at heart and love quite a few different variations but this is bascially a slap in PC gamers faces. Say what you will about my posts in this thread but this is one of those very very few games that comes out in a life time that just pisses people off.

I had really good fun playing the demo on PC.
Great graphics, maxed the game out with 4xAA at 1080p on my 8800GT .
Its one of the few games that have come out in the past year that really grabbed me.

I tried it first on a 360 and got stuck in the toilets and couldnt work out what to do next because it was too dark in the dark areas to see where you can go, all the dark area detail was missing.
ie enter a dark area and everything is too dark to see where to go.
Thumbs up to PC version, not so for console.

Say what you will about my posts in this thread but this is one of those very very few games that comes out in a life time that just pisses people off.

I understand the sentiment, I'm not a fan of many many games that people faun over all the time. In fact, on another forum, in a thread about what game series you don't like that other people love, I was asked if there were any games I did like after posting my list :).

It's just at this point, to me and I'm sure many others, it seems like you're on a campaign against this game for no real reason other than you didn't have that great a time with the demo. If you didn't like it, fine, but some of your posts are definitely going a bit overboard, like the one I initially quoted. The game may have a few console leftovers, but it's nowhere near one of the worst ports I've ever seen. Sure, there are a few ommissions that will hopefully be patched up, but it's got plenty of options and it runs extremely well aside from the stuttering bug

I've seen many many console ports with hardly any graphical settings, with no AA or AF support, with memory leaks and insanely sorry performance, with downright broken mouse support and absolutely no controller support, and more crashes than a demolition derby. This game has a few issues, but it's head and shoulders above most console ports, and even has options that many PC only games don't have standard.

I am a FPS'er at heart and love quite a few different variations but this is bascially a slap in PC gamers faces. .

I prefered the demo to the COD4 demo, and I tried to play Persues Mandate afterwards and gave up.
FEAR2 has potential to be a good game, but there's no way it will win accolades like FEAR did.

Say what you will about my posts in this thread but this is one of those very very few games that comes out in a life time that just pisses people off.

I thought we already went through that with Far Cry 2. ;)

If you paid attention to the story at all vs. blazing through then yes, you would have figured this out pretty early on in the first game. You are correct.

I always felt manipulated by Alma in the game but it did seem like most of her appearences weren't direclty hostile, at least while not in little ghost girl form, it was just freaky as fuck, she only attempted to harm you when she was in what is presumably her "real" form.

Again: Correct.

I'm sure it will all make sense in the end, the story behind FEAR was well constructed, I have faith the sequel will give us a similar experience.

It's certainly going to be better than Extraction Point and especially Perseus with a fresh coat of paint. I think anyone that expected a revolutionary title was only kidding themselves. This is a nice evolution in the series but nothing more than that.

In the end, past the usual haters that hate everything anyways, I bet most FEAR fans if not all will be happy with the end product.

LOL at the comparison of FEAR 2 and HL2, that resulted in HL2 looking better. I'm sure you played the demo @ 640x480 with everything set to low. Only then can FEAR 2 look worse than HL2...
FEAR2 is no Crysis, but it's certainly one the best looking FPS out there. And that list doesn't include HL2 for years now.

I tried it first on a 360 and got stuck in the toilets and couldnt work out what to do next because it was too dark in the dark areas to see where you can go, all the dark area detail was missing.
ie enter a dark area and everything is too dark to see where to go.
Thumbs up to PC version, not so for console.

You know you do have a flashlight.....

The demo rocked my socks off & I've already preordered the game through Amazon. I'm truly looking forward to it =D

You know you do have a flashlight.....

Yeah later I found out on PC.
At that stage where we were stuck, the tutorial hadnt got round to saying there was a flashlight so we ambled on blindly :)

God damnit. I leaned my way around every fricken wall in the first FEAR.

I liked the demo overall. And I must admit, It got a few good jumps out of me. This game is going to sell like mad on consoles.

I watched the HD videos of the demo on Youtube. That's all I need. No need to play this myself.

I watched the HD videos of the demo on Youtube. That's all I need. No need to play this myself.

Yeah, because watching a video can really substitute for seeing/hearing/feeling the gameplay for yourself and making any tweaks in the menus more to your liking.

The demo is free. Why not try it for laughs? You might be pleasantly surprised in the end. :)

Finally got around to actually finishing the demo, was very unimpressed and disappointed. Almost Cartoony look to the weapons and enemies, same with the environment. The game is suppose to take place right after the first one ends then why is there such a change in the Origin solders and weapons. HUD causes a horrible tunnel vision effect for me (letterboxing doesnt help), your character seems like hes crawling and sprinting feels about normal speed but you cant do anything in it, the motion blur effect is badly done and made my head hurt, random lag spikes for no reason whatsoever, all in all im not getting this game hell i wouldn't even pirate this game. The First one seemed to get things right, this one gets so much wrong. Cant stand this trend of crappy ports lacking proper PC features and horrible performance issues when my system mops the floor with any of the consoles. Then developers wonder why they arnt making money on PC games.

I've had zero of the issues you've described & yet I was very impressed & amused with the entire thing.

Just finished the demo and I have to say I'm completely unimpressed. The game just feels like another cookie cutter FPS with some "scary" bits thrown in. I didn't like the first one much after the 2nd half of the game but I'd say it's better than what I played on the FEAR 2 demo. Getting in the mech pretty much sealed the deal with me passing on this game.

Yawn.

Just finished the demo and I have to say I'm completely unimpressed. The game just feels like another cookie cutter FPS with some "scary" bits thrown in. I didn't like the first one much after the 2nd half of the game but I'd say it's better than what I played on the FEAR 2 demo. Getting in the mech pretty much sealed the deal with me passing on this game.

Yawn.

I didn't mind the mech but it just feels like it doesn't belong. It's like I went from playing one game to a completely different game.

Yeah, it felt like Monolith didn't know if they were making Alone in the Dark or Shogo: Mobile Armor Division 2 <----- WHICH IS WHAT THEY SHOULD BE MAKING INSTEAD OF FEAR2

Yeah, because watching a video can really substitute for seeing/hearing/feeling the gameplay for yourself and making any tweaks in the menus more to your liking.

The demo is free. Why not try it for laughs? You might be pleasantly surprised in the end. :)

No, because I would end up like that video of the guy who was scared to death and screaming and pissing his pants. These are really not my game at all. I enjoy watching other people playing horror games like there is no tomorrow but I will not actually play them myself. Heck, I won't even play Bioshock. I don't like cramped and dark FPSs. I like wide open spaces (Crysis was quite wonderful for that) where I am in control and I am the one sneaking up on enemies and not having ghosts and monsters jump out of closets or materialize on me. I don't quite get the genre of fighting supernatural entities by shooting them with bullets. It looks like he is dispersing ghosts by shooting them in this video.

Yeah, it felt like Monolith didn't know if they were making Alone in the Dark or Shogo: Mobile Armor Division 2 <----- WHICH IS WHAT THEY SHOULD BE MAKING INSTEAD OF FEAR2

I'd take a NOLF3 over Shogo 2... but I'd take Shogo 2 over FEAR 2 ;)

No, because I would end up like that video of the guy who was scared to death and screaming and pissing his pants. These are really not my game at all. I enjoy watching other people playing horror games like there is no tomorrow but I will not actually play them myself. Heck, I won't even play Bioshock. I don't like cramped and dark FPSs. I like wide open spaces (Crysis was quite wonderful for that) where I am in control and I am the one sneaking up on enemies and not having ghosts and monsters jump out of closets or materialize on me. I don't quite get the genre of fighting supernatural entities by shooting them with bullets. It looks like he is dispersing ghosts by shooting them in this video.

Normally I get a little chill from scary games but for some reason I didn't find FEAR 2 scary at all. I'm sure I didn't see much from the demo but considering how I felt about the rest of the game, I won't be seeing much else.

Normally I get a little chill from scary games but for some reason I didn't find FEAR 2 scary at all. I'm sure I didn't see much from the demo but considering how I felt about the rest of the game, I won't be seeing much else.

The school didn't look too frightening. The flickering lights are really irritating though.

Same here, i ended up not finishing FEAR a couple years back cause it kept on freaking me out. I was expecting the same from FEAR 2, but i really didnt get scared at all. The only part i was expecting to get scared at was in he school after the lockers went crazy, but i was wrong since right after you end up outside.

Still i might get the game eventually, but i thought the mech was unnecessary and took away from what i thought was FEAR.

Heres hoping the full game will be better!

Letterboxing? I didn't have any of that with 1920x1200 res.

I do. It outputs 1200 with letterboxing to 1080, so it shouldn't be a scaling thing on your monitor making it so you can't see it. *shrug*

My wife first checked it out running Forceware 178 when I was working out some BSOD issues and it ran great. I upgraded to 180.48 and re-installed my Audigy2ZS and now this demo is choppy as heck on my E6400+GTX260. Odd.

Then yours is either stretching or you don't know its running at 1080P.

I don't think so actually. My monitor (BenQ 24") is set to 1920x1200, and id definitely not set to stretch anything. No bars.

I actually enjoyed the demo, and will be picking the game up. The only thing I thought it could do with out is the "AMMO HERE, GET IT, AMMO! RIGHT THERE!!!!" pointer thingies. I think it would be cooler to have to find it with the flashlight. Would be more hectic and scary that way. (I turned the flashing items off playing Bioshock as well.) Hopefully those can be turned off. I didn't check.

I don't think so actually. My monitor (BenQ 24") is set to 1920x1200, and id definitely not set to stretch anything. No bars.

I actually enjoyed the demo, and will be picking the game up. The only thing I thought it could do with out is the "AMMO HERE, GET IT, AMMO! RIGHT THERE!!!!" pointer thingies. I think it would be cooler to have to find it with the flashlight. Would be more hectic and scary that way. (I turned the flashing items off playing Bioshock as well.) Hopefully those can be turned off. I didn't check.

When you set the in game resolution, what is it set to?
If it says 1920x1200 the game supports your screen res.
If its 1920x1080, then it will have black bars at the top/bottom OR it will be stretched to fill the screen whether you set it to do that or not.
There are no other ways it will be.

My 2490 displays an OSD overlay with the current video mode any time it changes. You can also set stretch, aspect stretch or no scaling for each mode, and it will colour any letterbox or pillarbox bars that it adds (I have this set to 20% grey or so) when it performs the scaling.

My display told me the output mode was 1920x1200 the whole time, and the letterboxing was coloured black, not grey. Further, the game was set to 1920x1200.

So...the letterboxing is in the game, and displayed as black. No monitor scaling involved here.

problemwb0.jpg

Letterbox in action.

When you set the in game resolution, what is it set to?
If it says 1920x1200 the game supports your screen res.
If its 1920x1080, then it will have black bars at the top/bottom OR it will be stretched to fill the screen whether you set it to do that or not.
There are no other ways it will be.

Mine is set to 1920x1200 in game. No bars, and it's not the monitor stretching. If anything is stretching something it's the game, but it doesn't look stretched. (I suppose it could be though, I'd have to take a couple of shots and compare sizes of objects.)

after playing the demo and reading a lot of the comments here it seem to me that the game has just been consolized way too much...as if its catering to a diff audience. I played the first game and loved it, but i couldnt' get myself to finish this demo, the controls seemed all weird and something was just off....maybe ill give it another shot later on

Back