F.E.A.R. 2 demo coming tomorrow

KillRoy X

Gawd
So the demo is planned to be released tomorrow and wondering if others are excited as I am to play this. The last expansion for F.E.A.R. was pretty horrible, so it will be interesting to see a true sequel. I'm hoping for the best.

Been trying to get the original FEAR going again. First, Vista + Creative card gives me a audio .dll load error which there is apparently no fix for. And then I start getting Securom errors as well. F that, I'll just wait for Fear 2.

No problems with the original FEAR on my sig rig and yes I'm looking forward to it!

I enjoyed the first game, didn't bother with the expansion. It will be interesting to see if the game is well optimized. I'll download it tomorrow if it's out.

Been trying to get the original FEAR going again. First, Vista + Creative card gives me a audio .dll load error which there is apparently no fix for. And then I start getting Securom errors as well. F that, I'll just wait for Fear 2.

Hey Pigwalk,

Let me know if you get an answer for a fix on this, been trying to get FEAR working with Vista for awhile, I finally gave up. I don't have the dll error or the securom stuff (or maybe i'm not seeing the error), the game just hangs after the intro. If i'm lucky I might get to play in game for about 15 seconds before it hangs.....Damn shame I can't get it to work with Vista, such a great game and only played through it once....

SR

just tried it out for the heck of it and it runs fine in the windows 7 beta with the system in my sig. and just to let you know... play Extraction Point! Do not play Perseus Mandate!

Monolith made FEAR, and Extraction Point (awesome)
Sierra made Perseus mandate (suckage)

Monolith found a new publisher (and somehow got the name back) and is making FEAR 2 !

This is why the name changed from " Project Origin" to Fear 2: project origin. Sierra owned the rights to the name.

EDIT: It may run better on my system because I don't have it installed on my system drive. I installed it on my shared Data drive between my XP and win7 dual boot.

juss tried it out runs usually at 60 plus frames throughout the whole game at 1920x1200 max settings 4xaa. the only complaint i have it that 1920x1200 give me black bars on top and bottom. game is pretty much the same as fear ur typical slow mo fear shooter. the graphics are nice but didnt blow me away like fear did guess cause there alot of other games that are superior in graphics vs when fear came out that was shit.

I recently replayed F.E.A.R with my Novint Falcon. Haven´t heard anything about support in the sequel though but I am thinking I should maybe wait to play it if there is :)

Absolutely loved the demo.

I never found the original to be all that scary, but the school section in this was genuinely creepy. And there was this one part where you get grabbed by Alma that sent a shock through my system.

The combat was typical FEAR, but I've always found the AI in that game to be some of the best around, and the combat some of the most visceral, so that's more a compliment than anything.

The graphics are much improved over the original, with much better lighting and some great post processing effects. Most importantly, the game has a gritty, realistic look, as opposed to the originals plasticy look. Also, it seems like they took the complaints about repetition to heart. I'd say the demo has more varied locales than the entire original game.

Also, it runs like butter at 1920x1200 with the in game settings maxed.

One problem though, it doesn't seem to have 16x10 support :(. What's weird is the game has native Logitech G15 LCD support, but no support for the most common widescreen computer monitor aspect ratio? If the full game has 16x10 I'm sold, if not I'll wait for a patch then get it.

I am now downloading the demo. Has anyone played it yet? Is it any good? I really loved the first game...

What about the graphics. Is it a new engine?

juss tried it out runs usually at 60 plus frames throughout the whole game at 1920x1200 max settings 4xaa. the only complaint i have it that 1920x1200 give me black bars on top and bottom. game is pretty much the same as fear ur typical slow mo fear shooter. the graphics are nice but didnt blow me away like fear did guess cause there alot of other games that are superior in graphics vs when fear came out that was shit.

Glad to hear that... both the frame rates at such setting, and also the fact that AA works:p

Recently got my new card but failed to turn on any AA for games that run on Unreal engine:confused: (while games like Crysis and FarCry 2 was too much for the card to have 4xAA)

Downloading. Looking forward to this. I loved F.E.A.R. (never tried the expansions.)

i'm 3 seconds in and i like :D. Graphics are bumped a bit, and runs smooth on a 9600gso! Can't wait to go on break and actually play it!

I played this and beat its simply amazing!!!
better graphics
new hud
new weapons
tougher enemies
sweet ass mech robots
new pda system thing

this was sick nasty definitly way better than the other f.e.a.r games I cant wiat for this game to come out

weapons include
submachine gun
shotgun
lazer
missile launcher
assault rifle
probably more but thats all i saw in the demo

this game is definitly going to be worth picking up!!

I completely agree with you nate. It's like all the good from Fear 1 but with even more good. It's so fun and not to mention that school was scary IMO. Though I tend to be a wimp with scary games.:p

Too much old stuff is back to make it boring, including the long "suspense" parts between poping dudes in the face, I think that you walk slower then in fear and even if you don't the game reminds too much fear but doesn't feel as good.
Also it doesn't feel as organic moving in environments to pop someone because it's very linear with a lot of chock point areas that make you play it like gow
Also think dark as hell and uninteresting environments that don't even have bullet holes+weak flashlight.

Alright I'll be the first one to say this game is garbage. Here is my review with Pros and Cons listed first for effect.

"The absolute worst console style game for the PC made yet." - next-Jin [H]ard|OCP Forums - 22 Jan 09

Pros:

NONE

Cons:

Flip and cover system is worthless, the delay it takes to flip minimizes it's usefulness. Mech scene was fucking stupid, why would you go this route with FEAR of all games? It makes no sense what so ever and is intended to satisfy the console kids. Scare tactics are laughable, and only once was I caught off guard and eyes wider than normal. My heart rate was constant through out. (Ed. And yes I wore headphones and played in a dimly lit room)

The graphics while bumped took a Rainbow 6 Vegas turn for the worse. It's not as in your face as Vegas but believe me it is there. It's sort of like a monkey took a rainbow shit on my monitor and smeared it around then drew a gun and overlay over top of it. 1920x1200 is letter boxed and while this is not a huge deal mixed with the current game it simply adds on to this games noticeable failures.

The geometry is some of the most god awful this side of 2001. The destroyed vehicles, buildings and debris are of only a couple polygons which again throws this game into console territory. The fire is also another hint at consoles.

The story is a continuation of FEAR 1 so if you liked FEAR you'll like FEAR 2. I do not believe it will be too hard to get into the story line from where they left off.

Weapons and weapon feel are all similair to the original with the exception of the sniper rifle. Now it feels like I am actually playing with a Xbox 360 pad even though I am playing on the KBM.

The flashlight is basically worthless and of no value. It's extremely weak and was probably bought from a 7/11 as a lighter with an LED on it.

The game is totally linear and there is simply no other way to go but forward and follows the usual Run and Gun / Scare / Run and Gun / Scare route.

In Conclusion FEAR 2 is probably going to set the PC back 2 years and the only thing we can hope for is for John Carmack or some other small developer to once again put the PC back in the race and push this trash off the table in anticipation for true to life PC games.

While I respect your opinion, I disagree with you 99%. I think FEAR 2 is, judging by the demo, a great game.

WOW, just WOW. Definitely better than the first one. Alot more blood :D.

While I respect your opinion, I disagree with you 99%. I think FEAR 2 is, judging by the demo, a great game.

eh I'm a PC gamer through and through and I fucking hate these supposedly AAA games coming to PC and being limited because they are made on the consoles first and foremost then ported to PC. It's killing the PC's image.

Oh well, regardless of the hate, I liked it. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but I feel that it is going to be on par with FEAR/XP which is what I was hoping for. And as long as the Mech is only on 2-3 missions, I'll be happy. I played FEAR through at least 12 times and loved it every time, and I am now counting down days for this to be released. Really gotta buy a better(bigger) monitor first though.

Go Monolith.

Alright I'll be the first one to say this game is garbage. Here is my review with Pros and Cons listed first for effect.

"The absolute worst console style game for the PC made yet." - next-Jin [H]ard|OCP Forums - 22 Jan 09

Pros:

NONE

Cons:

Flip and cover system is worthless, the delay it takes to flip minimizes it's usefulness. Mech scene was fucking stupid, why would you go this route with FEAR of all games? It makes no sense what so ever and is intended to satisfy the console kids. Scare tactics are laughable, and only once was I caught off guard and eyes wider than normal. My heart rate was constant through out. (Ed. And yes I wore headphones and played in a dimly lit room)

The graphics while bumped took a Rainbow 6 Vegas turn for the worse. It's not as in your face as Vegas but believe me it is there. It's sort of like a monkey took a rainbow shit on my monitor and smeared it around then drew a gun and overlay over top of it. 1920x1200 is letter boxed and while this is not a huge deal mixed with the current game it simply adds on to this games noticeable failures.

The geometry is some of the most god awful this side of 2001. The destroyed vehicles, buildings and debris are of only a couple polygons which again throws this game into console territory. The fire is also another hint at consoles.

The story is a continuation of FEAR 1 so if you liked FEAR you'll like FEAR 2. I do not believe it will be too hard to get into the story line from where they left off.

Weapons and weapon feel are all similair to the original with the exception of the sniper rifle. Now it feels like I am actually playing with a Xbox 360 pad even though I am playing on the KBM.

The flashlight is basically worthless and of no value. It's extremely weak and was probably bought from a 7/11 as a lighter with an LED on it.

The game is totally linear and there is simply no other way to go but forward and follows the usual Run and Gun / Scare / Run and Gun / Scare route.

In Conclusion FEAR 2 is probably going to set the PC back 2 years and the only thing we can hope for is for John Carmack or some other small developer to once again put the PC back in the race and push this trash off the table in anticipation for true to life PC games.

I actually agree with most points. I think I would've liked the mech stuff more if it wasn't in a FEAR game. Its nice mindless fun, but FEAR isn't suppose to be a mindless game. Doesn't help that the AI doesn't feel as good or as interesting as in the first game.

eh I'm a PC gamer through and through and I fucking hate these supposedly AAA games coming to PC and being limited because they are made on the consoles first and foremost then ported to PC. It's killing the PC's image.
Oh I understand what you mean about that. Many pc games do infact get killed because of consoles. In this case though, I think FEAR is still a great game. Maybe it won't live up 100% to what it could've been but so far I'm loving this demo.

Maybe it's because I just recently re-played all the other FEAR games that I'm absolutely thrilled with this thing coming off of Extraction and most especially Perseus. The microstuttering needs to go away and I do agree the cover system is worthless but past those two things...I'm really not sure how a FEAR fan is going to be unhappy with this thing. I'm looking forward to playing the full game myself. There's a good number of complaints in here that I would say "It's a demo. Let's see if that issue is better in the final game" and more often than not it ends up working out. The AI complaints, etc.

:)

Damn it I started the download before work this morning, now I have to wait until I get home to play it. Oh well it'll give me something to look forward to.

Game ran abolsutely perfect on the rig in my sig @ 1920x1080 max setting 4xAA 16xAF. I liked what little there was to play.

Back