Eyefinity Configuration Suggestions

Has any one able to get PLP mode to work with eyefinity? I have dell 3008 and a 2007, wonder if i should get another 2007. I had HP 2065, but i could not get PLP to work on 6950 at all. I sold the 2065 thus. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

My new box should be here in a week and a half:
Intel Core i7-3930K, SSD boot drive, 16GB RAM and an Nvidia 680 for graphics.

Trying to decide on monitors for it, currently thinking of going with 3x 2412s over one single 2711. I've never had a multiple monitor setup for gaming so I'm worried the bezels of the 2412s will be distracting....

A few questions:
-Any better options than 3 2412s if going Nvidia surround?
-Would you rather the 27 or surround?
-Do any 'lesser' quality monitors have ultra thin bezels these days?

There's better IPS displays than the U2412M, but I don't think you'll find a better value than it, if you're getting them for $300 anyway (which isn't very hard considering how often it's on sale, sometimes you can just get it even lower if you call and ask for a price quote for 3x). The 27" Shimian/Catleap displays are probably the one exception, but you give up a decent warranty and QC (and you'll need even more GPU horsepower to drive three of them, one 680 certainly won't cut it). I'm happy with my Dells.

As for EF vs one single larger display, that's very subjective, you'll get tons of different answers (even from people that have gone back and forth).Personally I've enjoyed it but I concede it's more work than just having one display and not all games take advantage of it so sometimes it's sort of a waste. I always like running multiple displays for productivity anyway and I already had one 24" 1200p display so moving up to three (and retiring an old CRT) wasn't much of a gamble.

Yup, you've nailed my conundrum. Hoping this 2713 rumor turns out to be true and kickass, that would make my decision easier....

Amazon got restocked on the 2412's and my new PC arrived last weekend so I pulled the trigger on that for now. When the 27" gets refreshed will re-evaluate and see if I want to add 2 more 24s or swap to a single 27 and move the 24 to another box.

Thanks

Really thinking about going Eyefinity with 3 BenQ XL2420T, what do I need to do to make this happen?

I am building a new gaming rig, parts should all be orderd within 2 weeks. What I really need advice with is what GPU setup to go with. I also am still looking for a Mobo so if any one has any good ideas that would be great!

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H80

Really thinking about going Eyefinity with 3 BenQ XL2420T, what do I need to do to make this happen?

I am building a new gaming rig, parts should all be orderd within 2 weeks. What I really need advice with is what GPU setup to go with. I also am still looking for a Mobo so if any one has any good ideas that would be great!

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H80

I am currently using a GTX690 to power 3x27 Samsung 120hz monitors. If money is not an option I can't recommend that card enough. Card has 3 dual link DVI's to hook up your monitors+has enough power to play any current game at 60fps+ @ 5760x1080.

Either that or I am sure SLI 670's/660Ti's would be ok.

I am currently using a GTX690 to power 3x27 Samsung 120hz monitors. If money is not an option I can't recommend that card enough. Card has 3 dual link DVI's to hook up your monitors+has enough power to play any current game at 60fps+ @ 5760x1080.

Either that or I am sure SLI 670's/660Ti's would be ok.

It depends on whether ot not your gaming at 1080p or higher. If higher, then go with a card that has more actual VRAM. The GTX 690 only has 2GB per GPU. Dual GTX 680 4GB cards are a better choice for 7680x1440 and 7680x1600.

These eyefinity setups are seriously epic. But in all honesty, how many of you actually use all three LCDs at the same time besides gaming?

These eyefinity setups are seriously epic. But in all honesty, how many of you actually use all three LCDs at the same time besides gaming?

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I've mostly given up on multi-screen gaming for now. Mainly due to HUD and FOV issues.

But, for every thing else: 1 screen is only acceptable on a laptop, 2 screens is the bare minimum, and 3 screens is where things start getting productive.

more space, easier to do things, faster increased effieincy

I do all the time and I use 3 30" monitors which would be overkill for a lot of people. I multitask a lot and have a lot of desktop space allows me to see a lot of windows at once. This increases my efficiency a lot. Can I use 1 monitor? Yes. Do I prefer it? Hell no.

I use mine all the time. I'd be lost without triple screens.

Here's my setup. They look flatter than they really are, I have no vision or angle issues.

Zxhyt.jpg

hdEwH.jpg

Yep! One hollow door, 3 8x10's, 7 premium 2x4's and half a sheet of oak plywood. Cost me next to nothing.

Petty sweet, gives me some ideas for my setup for when I move... Thanks for posting the sketch.

I do all the time and I use 3 30" monitors which would be overkill for a lot of people. I multitask a lot and have a lot of desktop space allows me to see a lot of windows at once. This increases my efficiency a lot. Can I use 1 monitor? Yes. Do I prefer it? Hell no.

Same here. 3x30"s are awesome.

I want to add 2 more u2412m and set them up in portrait mode... if anybody is using u2412m eyefinity and is willing to put them in portrait mode and take a couple snaps id be eternally grateful..

I'd probably change it up a little for easier landscape/portrait switching and to make room for my bookshelf speakers... But I really like having the displays on a built in secondary shelf like that when wall mounting isn't possible or preferred. I'm awful at building things like that on the fly tho!

Hi all, new to the forum and looking for some advice please.

I am purchasing 3x LG IPS224V's at the end of the month, and need a suitable sized desk. These monitors are 21.5" wide, and appear to have relatively thin bezels.

My better half doesn't want a desk with a width of more than 600-650mm max (600 really), and length wise I cannot help but think I am going to need 1200mm+ to make these monitors fit (just).

I have seen a very basic desk which just about fits my requirements for only £25, it's 1200mmx600mm.

2 questions:-

Would 3x 21.5" monitors fit on a 1200mm desk? (I am thinking about a 3 monitor mount later this year)

Are there any relatively cheap desks that are 1400mm / 1600mm wide, still maintaining a 600mm width, and if so could you post up some links please.

Many thanks,
Chris.

Pardon my horrible Sketchup abilities.

You really should look to angle the side monitors - putting them all on the same plane with anything more than a tiny screen will probably not be ideal.

Figure out where you will sit and try to make each screen perpendicular to the viewer

You really should look to angle the side monitors - putting them all on the same plane with anything more than a tiny screen will probably not be ideal.
Figure out where you will sit and try to make each screen perpendicular to the viewer
That would be a bad idea if he plans to game, wouldn't it? I don't know a single that that does not assume you're using flat display / flat configuration of displays.

That would be a bad idea if he plans to game, wouldn't it? I don't know a single that that does not assume you're using flat display / flat configuration of displays.

I think most people who game tilt their monitors in so they are all (more or less) perpendicular to their own face. The wrap around experience is ideal in almost all cases. I don't know what there is to be gained by having all monitors on one flat plane.

I think most people who game tilt their monitors in so they are all (more or less) perpendicular to their own face. The wrap around experience is ideal in almost all cases. I don't know what there is to be gained by having all monitors on one flat plane.
Game assumes you are using flat display display / flat configuration of displays and distorts the image accordingly.

Has anyone gotten a 5x1 configuration working with 1 extended monitor? I love Eyefinity 5x1 but there are times it isn't suitable, eg. the new X-COM game really hates it. Normally most people would just say "disable the Eyefinity group and go with a single monitor" but I run 5x1 portrait 24" 1920x1200 so it looks odd when it's off. Worse, the monitor I really want to go extended with is a 30" 2560x1600. The only ways to get accelerated video with the 30" is to disable the Eyefinity group (which is fine by me) but when the Eyefinity group is enabled it shuts down the 30". If I plug in the 30" into another card like the onboard video then I don't have 3D acceleration on the 30" when I turn off the Eyefinity group. I really like having the 30" for use with Eyefinity either on or off as it is quite central to my display setup:

AdobePhotoshopExpress_20121013005712 by rtangwai, on Flickr

Sorry the picture is so crowded - I don't have a camera with a wide-angle lens The 5x1 Eyefinity group is obviously on the right, on the left is an asymmetrical 3x2 setup (3x20" widescreens above, 20-30-20 PLP below). If I could get the 30" to go extended, I could plug in the 2 20" portraits into the onboard video and get most of my monitors working in Eyefinity quad-fire (I disabled Crossfire to get all the monitors to display for the picture to make it easier to see the layout). I know Eyefinity can support 6 monitors in a 3x2 configuration but no extended monitors, and that it can support extended monitors with 3x1 and 2x2 Eyefinity, but I can't get 5x1 with 1 extended. Is it an option at all?

I *REALLY* wish AMD would make PLP Eyefinity a reality, it would solve all my problems simultaneously and I could toss out those 5x1 portrait monitors to get back a heck of a lot of desk space.

@ rtangwai
this is righteous! love 3x20 above the plp setup. However, whats the heat like in the room, i have heat issues with just the plp setup i have.

@ rtangwai
this is righteous! love 3x20 above the plp setup. However, whats the heat like in the room, i have heat issues with just the plp setup i have.

Fortunately I live in Canada so it isn't the hottest place on the planet most of the year. It does get quite warm after a while but I attribute more of that to the quadfire 6950's than to the monitors themselves, especially as I have to turn off the upper row of monitors and the far left wing monitor whenever I enable Crossfire. In summer it's pretty toasty (fortunately I have central A/C) but now that we are in October if it gets out of hand I just open the balcony door a crack and it's fine. I admit I wish all the monitors were LED instead of LCD but it's all I got.

your so luck! I live in az and needless to say summers blow here -____-. 110 degree weather sucks.

your so luck! I live in az and needless to say summers blow here -____-. 110 degree weather sucks.

Sure, but you don't have to go thru -40 winters either. -40 is the same Celsius or Fahrenheit which gives you a good idea how cold that is.

I've been thinking about chopping back the Eyefinity to 3x1, but that's not a whole lot bigger than my 30" monitor which defeats the purpose of Eyefinity in the first place. 3x1 is nowhere near as immersive as 5x1 and now that Chris Roberts is back into making videogames I definitely want to try out Space Citizen with this rig.

Game assumes you are using flat display display / flat configuration of displays and distorts the image accordingly.

I don't disagree. The game assumes the displays are flat, but most gamers would rather see that distorted image straight on rather than at an angle. The image looks bigger instead of small because of the perspective. Also, take it from me and others here who use eyefinity regularly, you don't notice it at all. The wrap around effect is much nicer and easier to look at.

It's not like you wanna angle them 30 degrees in or anything, just a slight toe in. I angle mine in when on landscape orientation, almost out of necessity as anything else (lack of room), but leave them on the same plane when on portrait, 3x24"ers.

I don't disagree. The game assumes the displays are flat, but most gamers would rather see that distorted image straight on rather than at an angle. The image looks bigger instead of small because of the perspective. Also, take it from me and others here who use eyefinity regularly, you don't notice it at all. The wrap around effect is much nicer and easier to look at.
Apparently some games, like iRacing use 3 different cameras for angled multi-monitor configurations ("3 render mode" or something similar in case of iRacing). Link.

Is anyone aware of any other games that use something similar?

most gamers would rather see that distorted image straight on rather than at an angle. The image looks bigger instead of small because of the perspective.
If viewed at correct angle, image should look absolutely normal, no bigger or smaller than usual (talking about flat configuration with rectilinear projection).

@ rtangwai
-40 degree is crazy cold! coldest I been in is -11 there is just no word for how cold that is, anyways you should take some more pics! especially how you setup your displays.

Back