Eyefinity Configuration Suggestions

Gents, I currently have a single Westinghouse LVM-37w3se for gaming period. Like the poster above, I wanted to explore the possibility of going Eye Infinty. I mostly play FPS game and right now my clan and I are playing BF3 and a little CODWAW. Would it be worth doing for these types of games? Also I cannot locate any used LVM-37w3se even though I have the room, soI was exploring purchasing 2 more LG 37LK450. Then I found this thread which is very informative. I never knew people could do smaller monitors in Portrait mode and the more I think about it, that may be the better choice. Any advise is greatly aprreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unless there have been some major recent changes, Eyefinity requires you to run all your screens at the same resolution - you can't run a big landscape with small portrait screens in "Eyefinity".

I think there are some software solutions that might let you, but performance would probably be an issue for the latest games.

3 x 25" LCDs on my stand are about 66" wide. 37s would require some serious space.

You didn't mention your system specs - I can run BF3 in NV Surround and most people would think it ran decently, but I'm not happy with it so I don't play the game right now.

Unless there have been some major recent changes, Eyefinity requires you to run all your screens at the same resolution - you can't run a big landscape with small portrait screens in "Eyefinity".

I think there are some software solutions that might let you, but performance would probably be an issue for the latest games.

3 x 25" LCDs on my stand are about 66" wide. 37s would require some serious space.

You didn't mention your system specs - I can run BF3 in NV Surround and most people would think it ran decently, but I'm not happy with it so I don't play the game right now.

I believe the latest (12.2) drivers for AMD hardware are supposed to allow you to use various display resolutions in eyefinity, though PLP (portrait - landscape - portrait) type configs are still not possible, like you said.

My system specs:

2 AMD 6970 in crossfire
Intel Core i7 950 Oced 4.2GHZ
12GB Gskill 1600mhz
etc etc etc ;)

SHould be able to run it no?

I've been googling for the last hour trying to find some answers to my questions to no avail so I'll turn to my trusted [H] community.

I just ordered two 2007fp's to flank my 3007wfp-hc going to with typical 20 / 30 / 20 setup. I've been slowing piecing together a new system and plan to buy a AMD 6950 or 6970 as my next upgrade. I'm not interested in eyefinity since I know it won't work with my setup, I just want to be able to connect them all to 1 card. I already know I would need some sort of an adapter since all 3 monitors use DVI with the 30" requiring a Dual link DVI. How would I go about achieving this?

Would I be able to connect the 3007wfp to 1 DVI port and connect one 2007fp in the 2nd DVI port and connect the second 2007fp to a display port using an adapter? Or will I have to connect the two 2007fp's to both DVI ports and get an active display adapter for the 3007fpw? Can I use the HDMI instead of the disply port to connect the 3rd monitor?

As far as i know you cannot use the HDMI port along with DVI as they share the output link for lack of the proper terminology. Most people purchase an inexpensive display port to dvi adapter.

Hope that helps. And Amazon has them cheap... i saw one with free shipping for under $7 dollars

I've been googling for the last hour trying to find some answers to my questions to no avail so I'll turn to my trusted [H] community.

I just ordered two 2007fp's to flank my 3007wfp-hc going to with typical 20 / 30 / 20 setup. I've been slowing piecing together a new system and plan to buy a AMD 6950 or 6970 as my next upgrade. I'm not interested in eyefinity since I know it won't work with my setup, I just want to be able to connect them all to 1 card. I already know I would need some sort of an adapter since all 3 monitors use DVI with the 30" requiring a Dual link DVI. How would I go about achieving this?

Would I be able to connect the 3007wfp to 1 DVI port and connect one 2007fp in the 2nd DVI port and connect the second 2007fp to a display port using an adapter? Or will I have to connect the two 2007fp's to both DVI ports and get an active display adapter for the 3007fpw? Can I use the HDMI instead of the disply port to connect the 3rd monitor?

I just ran into this problem, basically there are active DP -> Dual link DVI convertors that cost about $120 each, you can try the monoprice version for $60 a pop, but reports are that they don't always work and each monitor is finicky.

Bandwidths of each type.

http://www.emsai.net/projects/widescreen/bandwidth/

VGA (DVI-A) = 400 MHz (6.4 Gbit)
DVI-D = 4.95 Gbit (165 MHz)
HDMI
v1.0/1.1/1.2 = 4.95 Gbit (165 MHz)
v1.3/1.4/1.4a = 10.2 Gbit (340 MHz)
DVI-D Dual Link = 9.9 Gbit (330 MHz)
DisplayPort
v1.0/1.1 = 10.8 Gbit (360 MHz)
v1.2 = 21.6 Gbit (720 MHz)

Last edited:
I've got three Dell U2412M monitors and I love them. They are 1920x1200 each, IPS, LED backlit which helps with heat if nothing else, and they don't break the bank. You can get them on ebay new for about $300 apiece.

I run them in 3x1 portrait mode. I know there's some debate about which is better, but I would say portrait hands down. It takes up less desk space, there's less stretching on the side panels, it fills most of my peripheral vision but I don't need to turn my head forever to one side or the other, and 30:16 is a lot closer to the original 16:10 of one of the monitors than 48:10.

I'm running them on a single 2gb 6950. It works well on medium to high settings for most games that came out in the last few years. The newest stuff needs to be turned down a bit more, but for the price of the whole setup I couldn't be happier.

Hi guys, I've got a single Dell U2311(1920x1080) atm and just got 2 Dell 2001FP's(1600x1200) to add to it.

I'm planning on getting a 7870 later this week to power my monitors and according to AMD's announcement eyefinity 2.0 should let me game on all three monitors at once, even though they've got mixed resolutions.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Hi guys, I've got a single Dell U2311(1920x1080) atm and just got 2 Dell 2001FP's(1600x1200) to add to it.

I'm planning on getting a 7870 later this week to power my monitors and according to AMD's announcement eyefinity 2.0 should let me game on all three monitors at once, even though they've got mixed resolutions.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Yeah, you've been able to do this since the beginning. You will however be limited to the highest common resolution. Which I believe is 1600x900 if memory serves. Or it could 1600x1200 if the u2311 supports it.

Hmm.. the included pic doesn't really make it look like that's the case though

As far as I know, Eyefinity does not allow mixed resolutions at all, all three monitors need to be the same res across ? Or you can have mixed monitors as long as all three have the same vertical height ? Does a 20" + 24" + 20" work ? Like 1600x1200 + 1920x1200 + 1600x1200, does that even work for Eyefinity gaming ?

I am shocked that that after 2+ years AMD still does not have Picture + Landscape + Picture working yet, there are quite a few users that have the awesome setup of 20" + 30" + 20" that would love that to work in Eyefinity.

As far as I know, Eyefinity does not allow mixed resolutions at all, all three monitors need to be the same res across ? Or you can have mixed monitors as long as all three have the same vertical height ? Does a 20" + 24" + 20" work ? Like 1600x1200 + 1920x1200 + 1600x1200, does that even work for Eyefinity gaming ?

I am shocked that that after 2+ years AMD still does not have Picture + Landscape + Picture working yet, there are quite a few users that have the awesome setup of 20" + 30" + 20" that would love that to work in Eyefinity.

Nope, still require to have the same render resolution. Meaning each monitor will be sent 1600x1200 in that above example. On top of that, orientation must also be the same. Otherwise SoftTH is still the only option to use the monitors at native resolution.

Pretty crappy of them to advertise that as a "feature" in Eyefinity 2.0 then tbh.

Nope, still require to have the same render resolution. Meaning each monitor will be sent 1600x1200 in that above example. On top of that, orientation must also be the same. Otherwise SoftTH is still the only option to use the monitors at native resolution.

Yeah, that is what I thought, thanks suiken.

I still find it crazy, with all the money AMD engineering team should have to spend on developing drivers to allow P + L + P to work in Eyefinity gaming, and after two + years, still nothing. But a freely made cheap program by SoftTH, allows this to work somewhat with limitations.

I mean how about the 20" + 24" + 20" all in Landscape, at least allow that to work already, would be wider center display, with narrower side displays, giving a res of 5120x1200. After two years of Eyefinity, and the ca$h AMD has for driver development, they couldn't figure that out to work in triple screen games ?

I think you overstate overestimate the resources they allocate to drivers (hence why NV keeps slapping them around in that regard)... You've also gotta take into account that people who run CF and/or EF are a minority, people who would run PLP are much smaller minority within that, which factors into how willing they are to work on the feature... The necessary side displays for those setups are becoming rarer and rarer anyway.

I have a 6950 2gb, just wondering if I would be able to use 2 DVI and just one mini display port to reg displayport cable to allow the 3rd screen to work properly or would I still need to get an active display port adapter?

I have a 6950 2gb, just wondering if I would be able to use 2 DVI and just one mini display port to reg displayport cable to allow the 3rd screen to work properly or would I still need to get an active display port adapter?

Should be fine.

Are three 1080 monitors on a single 7850 plausible?

for desktop use will work just fine. Might be ok in some games, other games you will have to drop eye candy way down.

for desktop use will work just fine. Might be ok in some games, other games you will have to drop eye candy way down.

What about a single 7950 for three 1200 monitors? I don't want on low quality, but I run most things medium-high anyway. Thanks.

It'll still be a bottleneck on some games but it'd be a much better choice... Current GPU prices are rather high tho, I'd wait to see if anything better shakes out after NV unveils the rest of their 600 series. I say that while being a happy owner of two 6950's btw (driving 3X 1920x1200 U2412Ms), but I paid like $225 for each when they were the 2nd/3rd best card in the market from either brand.

I don't even know what I'd upgrade to right now, I guess a single 680 would be faster and about the same cost... Probably not upgrading until next year tho.

I'm using a bigger center monitor for a few reasons:

1. I already had 1 27 inches view sonic, and din't want to start over

2. Also had 1 23 inches laying around, so I only had to buy a second 23 inches.

2. I mostly use the sides for immersions, and it works just great for that. They are the same resolution so I was able to do bezel compensation even if the monitors aren't the same size.

3. Not feeling guilty when I play a single monitor game since my sides didn't cost me much.

4. Stretching/Fish eye of the FOV in games like deus ex: hr feels just right with the smaller sides