Eyefinity Configuration Suggestions

That one doesn't have a display port though. If I use a DP to DVI adapter, will I lose picture quality, or is it very expensive, or otherwise not recommended, or can I get 3 x 2209WA and an adapter and be happy?

Last edited:
There's not very many 22" IPS panels, much less affordable ones, the Dell model is pretty much it.
02-27-2010 03:47 PM

How about the upcoming HP ZR22w ?

Hello, I am building another system from scratch and I am very intrigued by this Eyefinity set up stuff. I am a hardcore Nvidia boy, but I am looking to play with some ATI stuff for a while.
The Video card I am putting in to this experimental setup, is the XFX Radeon HD 5870. I am looking in to getting 3, 24 inch monitors but am a bit of a loss on what 3-24 inchers I should get for this. I am open to any suggestions. But keep in mind I am looking to stick with 24 inchers, not 30's or 500000 inches haha. Just those 3, and whatever else I need to get this set up and running. I understand there is an adapter I have to buy as well.
A list and approx price would be awesome, and keep in mind I live in Canada, and in BC to be exact. So USD$ is obviously worth much more than ours T_T.
Thx and hope to have help soon. ^_^

I forgot to mention, this is going to be a high end AMD set up....well as high as AMD can go anyways hahah. ^_^

Last edited:
Anyone ever had flickering issues only on one of their connected EF monitors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDrrseVIqnQ

I have a problem where whenever I move a window in another monitor or the monitor in question, I get massive flicker. It might be due to the fact that the monitor is connected via KVM whereas the other 2 are connected directly to the PC.

Yep , lot of people including myself have had that problem. I have a you tube just like that one .

it only happened to me when the monitors were in duplicate mode and when overdrive was turned on in ccc. turn off overdrive and see if it stops. you can always use afterburner if you want to control the fan

It didn't happen during full screen gaming with BF2, though, luckily, so I could escape it temporarily. I do indeed have Overdrive turned on. I'll try turning it off.

UPDATE:
Turning off Overdrive helped but did not completely eliminate the flickering on the other monitor. At least it doesn't happen 100% of the time when I move my mouse or a window. Now it only occurs every now and then which is much less annoying.

I wonder if underclocking on Overdrive would help even more.

Last edited:
I really want to get an eyefinity setup, but my mobo only has one pci-e slot and I definitely want to run more than 3 monitors. Does anyone know when the cards that support six monitors might be coming out? Will we be able to use non-display port monitors? I dont really understand if displayport is backwards compatible with dvi or what? Are you going to have to buy all new monitors?

Ok I think I solved everyones issue with the bezels by using 1080I/P projectors. But the only way would work is if we could use HDMI+HDMI+HDMI with active DP adapter.

Anyone know anything like that? Or if we could do it like this some how?

Because I found a bunch of Projectors then for like 300-500 dollors each. ;)

Or the same thing except instead of HDMI with VGA. Anyone know the downsides to VGA like this?

Ok I think I solved everyones issue with the bezels by using 1080I/P projectors. But the only way would work is if we could use HDMI+HDMI+HDMI with active DP adapter.

Anyone know anything like that? Or if we could do it like this some how?

Because I found a bunch of Projectors then for like 300-500 dollors each. ;)

Or the same thing except instead of HDMI with VGA. Anyone know the downsides to VGA like this?

you can use a HDMI - DVI cable or HDMI - DVI adapter.

you are going to run 3x 1080p projectors with eyefinity?

btw not sure how to do about the display port maybe with a active DVI adapter?

Most people are going Eyefinity for the size, the surround, and the pixels. If you:
A) were going to take the time to match projector edges perfectly
B) Just want extreme widescreen
C) are going to project onto a single flat rather than multiple--flat surround surface, or are willing to create and focus a round surface

Then you can just go with 2 projectors in landscape. 3x 1080p landscape is really too much FoV to be very useful, and 3x 1080p portrait is little different than the single 1080p landscape FoV.

I just want a seemless/bezzel/borderless screen setup for EyeFinity with at least 3 screens of 1920 x 1080 at a minimum.

And at 1,000 a pop 1920 x 1080 native resolution projectors are expensive, and if I look at LCDs there is a nice 2048 x 1152 for about 240 each.

So I figured huh I wonder if I can find just a HD projector thats cheap like a 1080I or P.

Got into reading and figured out if I'm going to game with this setup I need at least a 1080P Projector.

I found them for about 300 and up.

I figured I'd make my own screen for them, and hassle with the alignment and stuff. Figure it be worth it.

I have absolutely no issue turning my room into a strict gaming room and sleeping on a mat on the floor... I'm use to that anyways.

But yea, any suggestions or input would be great on this.

How about the upcoming HP ZR22w ?

It's been coming for a good while now, heh... I dunno what the hold up is.

It looks like it'll be a killer deal tho, wasn't it 1920x1080? Kind of uncommon for a 22" but really nice if you don't mind the higher res vs smaller size for productivity apps... And I heard it'll be like $300 so it's pretty competitive (tho the Dell is still $80 cheaper). I'm eyeing the ZR24W personally, it's probably gonna be a bit more but it's larger and 1920x1200 obviously... If it's not too much more than $400 I'd be tempted to get two of them (for $800) vs just getting three 2209WA's (for $600)... Tho I'm not sure how off-putting my existing 24" TN panel would look next to two 24" IPS displays. :p

I might just end up simply getting two new 24" TN displays and only gaming in landscape mode if the viewing angles of the TN panels really bother me in portrait mode, heh, it'd certainly be easier on the wallet.

Is anyone thinking of going for the nvidia solution when it hits?

I'll go with whomever has the more cost-effective solution... I have a feeling that if I had a P55 or X58 board that might actually be NV, since they're enabling their Eyefinity implementation for older cards. I could grab a 2nd GTX 260 and SLI to try it (which you have to do anyway since none of their cards, not even Fermi, will drive 3 displays)... But I have a P45 which won't do SLI, so I'm probably gonna be better off w/a single card upgrade to a 5xxx. NV probably won't have any mid-range parts 'till after summer anyway.

I don't think I've seen anyone doing Eyefinity w/projectors yet btw, just talk of it... It'd certainly be interesting.

I don't think I've seen anyone doing Eyefinity w/projectors yet btw, just talk of it... It'd certainly be interesting.

There's been I think 1 or 2 that I have seen, not including the EyeFinity events.
1 guy has a room running 6 projectors called the oval or somthing like that. He has 360 Degree veiw, and has a spiny chair with i think it was a trackIR and looks left and right by spinning in the chair it's cool.

But come July-ish time frame when I'm back from deployment I plan on putting a Projector EyeFinity system together.

Either with a DP solution by AMD/Intel or a Single P solution by AMD. Looking forword to CrossfireX 5990 4 gig. :D

Looking to spend about 2000-3000. Depending on how much is left over from paying my car off and stuff.

Anyone have experience with Peerless mounts? They seem to mainly focus on TV/AV equipment but thinking of using one for my dual 24's.

And yes, they are expensive :(

Has anyone seen the new Samsung MD320's yet? Supposedly ATI worked with Samsung to develop a new line of monitors with ultra-thin bezels! I've been waiting for somebody to address the bezel problem, and I hope they won't dissappoint.

Has anyone seen the new Samsung MD320's yet? Supposedly ATI worked with Samsung to develop a new line of monitors with ultra-thin bezels! I've been waiting for somebody to address the bezel problem, and I hope they won't dissappoint.

for this round i will miss the bezeless times as i just bought 3x samsung 2343bwx :D

having said that from posistioning them side by side i cant see the bezzel will bother me there already way too wide in 16:9 x 3 :eek:

speaking of thin bezels the sammys have smaller bezel than my old 15" dell LCD ! really thin, i doubt the 'ultra thin' samsung bezel will be much smaller than this.

ohh hi btw my first hardforum post, although i have been browsing for months with interest this place was the reason i went eyefintiy..
cheers

phill

I have a 5850 coming in the mail, and I currently use two Benq FP222WH's at 1680x1050

I would like to use eyefinitely via the displayport route, and i'd like to check my knowledge:
For an extended desktop, three monitors can be rotated independently and have different resolutions. For gaming however, all three must be the same orientation and resolution
Correct?

I am looking for a third monitor and I can't seem to get my facts straight. Is it possible to find a 24" in HD-1080 or WUXGA that also uses 1680x1050?

I would like to invest in a nice new monitor but still take advantage of gaming on all three. Am I asking for too much?

please advise

edit: perhaps something like the Dell 2408WFP or U2410 (could use an IPS panel)

Last edited:
I haven't got any response in the thread asking for LCD arms. Since this is an Eyefinity thread, maybe I'll get more responses here.

Which LCD arm desk mount are you guys using for your triple LCD setup? Or is it better to get a single LCD arm for each LCD especially for the ones that are using 24" to 30" LCDs?

I would like to use eyefinitely via the displayport route, and i'd like to check my knowledge:
For an extended desktop, three monitors can be rotated independently and have different resolutions. For gaming however, all three must be the same orientation and resolution
Correct?

Correct.

I am looking for a third monitor and I can't seem to get my facts straight. Is it possible to find a 24" in HD-1080 or WUXGA that also uses 1680x1050?

I would like to invest in a nice new monitor but still take advantage of gaming on all three. Am I asking for too much?

please advise

Theoretically it should work if you run the 24" monitor at 1680x1050. But it might give you serious issues with bezel management since the monitors would be of mismatched sizes.

I'm considering doing something similar, by say adding a 27" U2711 to a pair of 23" NECs. But I dunno if it would be worth it. In any case it would be cheaper and more of a 'sure thing' to buy an identical third display for Eyefinity.

ive seen a few people running the passive dp to dvi adapter recently, only £11 vs £70 ! i know it can cause some problems but it does seem very display dependant

Philster: It works fine. It uses one of the two (HDMI or DVI) bit streams that the GPU chip can electronically generate. This is not very useful, though. Displayport is necessary for the third output.

vjcsmoke thanks for your reply

It's a tough choice! I don't think I'll be in a position any time soon to drop the coin for three nice 24" (or larger...) but at the same time I don't really want to throw money at older technology

Does anyone have experience with what I'm suggesting:
Running two 22" and one 24" in 1680x1050 with eyefinity?

A screenshot would be ideal. I'm having a hard time visualizing what it would look like... Would the 24" be a larger image entirely or just reveal more of a scene*. The former would probably be dizzyingly unbearable, while the latter would probably be alright

*does this make sense: 1680x1050 stretched accross 24" as opposed to 22" would make things larger overall?

I'd just get a Dell 2209WA and avoid all the extra hassle of trying to run a (costlier) 24" at 1680x1050... It's not gonna look very optimal (if you can even get it to run w/black bars rather than stretched, which would be awful), it's gonna cause issues w/bezel management (the driver will still know they're of different sizes and won't let you use the built-in tool), etc etc. You can score that 2209WA for like $220 if you read up on the thread for it here on the boards...

I'm actually in the opposite situation... I have a decent 24" TN panel and I'd like to build up a 3-display setup but I want at 'least my center display to be an IPS panel, in case I wanna game in portrait mode and just because I'd like to upgrade my primary display... But adding two IPS panels (or three) would be too costly and I don't wanna step down to 1680x1050 or 22"...

I'll probably just buy a 2nd 24" TN ($200-ish) and one IPS (more than likely that new HP ZR24W for $400), would run me the same as three 2209WA's and I can just replace the side monitors later if their viewing angles bother me, I doubt it'll be as bothersome for the periphery displays tho, even in portrait mode. I'm just concerned w/input lag of two or three different panels throwing everything off...

For me even dead pixels are a problem, yet I see some of you aren't bothered by those HUGE FRAMES (the LCD frames) from the middle of the screen. :eek:

++

:eek:

I'd like to avoid adapters and just get a DisplayPort capable monitor from this list?

The P2210 seems like a no-brainer. It will fit nicely with my benq's

If I could get some reassurance on this I might as well pull the trigger asap!

I don't see HP's newest 22" and 24" IPS models on that list, I thought they had DP...

This may seem like a stupid question, but I can barely find any displayport monitors online. Where is a good place to look for them?

I have two dell 30" and am planning on getting a third eventually. I am also planning on upgrading to the eyefinity ati cards...from what I have read, there is nothing out there now that is going to drive the number of pixels that three 30 inchers have...

Is this correct? or can Xfire'd 5870 do it? Or will there be a new ATI product out by the end of the year that will tackle 7680x1600?

For me even dead pixels are a problem, yet I see some of you aren't bothered by those HUGE FRAMES (the LCD frames) from the middle of the screen. :eek:

++

:eek:

unless you run 6 screens there isnt a bezel in front of you ?

in fact imagine playing on 1 screen of a decent size and add two to either side and forget they are there.. its ok, as your mind knows its part of the same scene and peripheral vision kicks in wether you like it or not..

seriously, get two more screens and ignore them.. but just see how quickly your brain uses the extra information and processess it.

luckly we still have evolutionary features like this on auto otherwise people would be stuborn and turn them off for no good reason ;)

EYEFINITY :cool:

Sure this has been asked, but would like an update if anyone knows anything new.

Anyone have any idea or any information about support for 20-30-20 inch monitors (thats the same vertical resolution, with the two side monitors running in portrait mode and the 30 inch in the middle running at 2560x1600

so the res would be 1200x1600 - 2560x1600 - 1200x1600

thanks guys!

Back