Eyefinity Configuration Suggestions

Hi, I have almost finetuned my pcsystem to the max, but still need 3 x monitors.. I've heard that eg. the Samsung 2233rz which can show display in 120hz should be awsome as gamerdisplay, Because of the mentioned 120 hz..

But...

My question is now.. Will I be able to run 3 x 2233rz in 3x1 landscape in full 120 hz or will I be restricted to only run that setup in eg. 60 hz..? (Maybe a dumb question, but if I can't run all 3 monitors in 120 hz I'd rather buy some monitors with higher resolution than the 2233rz)

Thx in advance.

Cannister.

Sorry.. this should have been a new thread..

Last edited:
I have two U2410 Dell's Rev a01.

Price isn't a concern.

Should I buy a 3rd U2410 or should I buy the new U2711 and make that middle monitor ?:confused::confused::confused:

24x24x24 or 24x27x24 ...

I want to be able to use eyefinity to game on all 3 at once, but I would guess 80% of the time I will be using each monitor for different things, 1 a TV, 1 to browse the web and 1 to play games on.

I am worried that 24x27x24 might look funny in a game.

For Eyefinity, all monitors have to be the same resolution so what you propose simply will not work/is not supported.

Yes, 24x27x24 would work very nice, they don't have to be the same physical size, just the same resolution.

I'm running 26x27x24 right now http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/769/vineyefinitythecheapway.jpg

In a game, you will spend more than 95% of your time on your center monitor. If you do plan to separate your functions as you describe, then it matters even less. I think that is a great setup, much better than the 26/24 TN displays I'm using for my sides.

Well I am not sure what to do. I think I have read too many posts. I have a single Dell 2408WFP and want to move to an Eyefinity setup. I can't afford to get 2 more 2408's so I was looking at going with either 3 Dell P2310H's or P2210H's. I have been reading about the bad viewing angels with the TN panels and was wondering how bad it really is. I will probably be using the displays in portrait mode so they have to be able to pivot. Are there any downsides to portrait mode? Can anyone out there set me straight? Thanks for the help.

TN viewing angles are worse than IPS, obviously... But on a decent TN panel they're acceptable for Eyefinity in landscape mode imo... I definitely wouldn't wanna grab a TN display and turn it on it's side for portrait mode tho. Horizontal viewing angles are usually way more tolerable than vertical (which turn into horizontal if you turn the display on it's side for Eyefinity in portrait mode), 'least in my experience. This is exactly why I've been waffling on how to move to an Eyefinity setup... Ideally I'd like to keep my existing center display of 24" (16:10) and just add two, but realistically I think I might eventually end up replacing it w/3 Dell 2209WA's.

Either that or I'll grab two extra 24" TN displays for cheap and I'll use 'em in landscape mode exclusively. I wish I could experience Eyefinity first hand in either mode to see which setup I'd enjoy more... 3x22" w/the flexibility to go portrait/landscape on a whim, or 3x24" always in landscape mode. Looking beyond gaming I'm kinda favoring the first setup (code writing etc), the lower overall res wouldn't require as much GPU horsepower either so the cost probably evens out over time (buying 3 smaller displays vs just 2 larger tones o complement the existing one, which might require a larger GPU investment eventually).

Decisions decisions... :eek:

Last edited:
TN viewing angles are worse than IPS, obviously... But on a decent TN panel they're acceptable for Eyefinity in landscape mode imo... I definitely wouldn't wanna grab a TN display and turn it on it's side for portrait mode tho. Horizontal viewing angles are usually way more tolerable than vertical (which turn into horizontal if you turn the display on it's side for Eyefinity in portrait mode), 'least in my experience. This is exactly why I've been waffling on how to move to an Eyefinity setup... Ideally I'd like to keep my existing center display of 24" (16:10) and just add two, but realistically I think I might eventually end up replacing it w/3 Dell 2209WA's.

Either that or I'll grab two extra 24" TN displays for cheap and I'll use 'em in landscape mode exclusively. I wish I could experience Eyefinity first hand in either mode to see which setup I'd enjoy more... 3x22" w/the flexibility to go portrait/landscape on a whim, or 3x24" always in landscape mode. Looking beyond gaming I'm kinda favoring the first setup (code writing etc), the lower overall res wouldn't require as much GPU horsepower either so the cost probably evens out over time (buying 3 smaller displays vs just 2 larger tones o complement the existing one, which might require a larger GPU investment eventually).

Decisions decisions... :eek:
I guess I was hoping for 1920x1080 resolution with built in display port. Is there a IPS display that is at the stated resolution? at or around $200.00? That would be ideal.

Not really. The 23" 1920x1080 NEC EA231WMi (IPS) can be found for like $280 if you look around, usually closer to $300, but that's as close as you're gonna get for an IPS display of that resolution.The Dell 2209WA is 1680x1050 obviously (and 22"), can be had for much closer to $200 tho. Hence my dilema! I'm willing to plunk down the cash for three 2209WA's or two new 24" TN displays (at $200-some per display either way), but I draw the line at any higher than that. :p

Not really. The 23" 1920x1080 NEC EA231WMi (IPS) can be found for like $280 if you look around, usually closer to $300, but that's as close as you're gonna get for an IPS display of that resolution.The Dell 2209WA is 1680x1050 obviously (and 22"), can be had for much closer to $200 tho. Hence my dilema! I'm willing to plunk down the cash for three 2209WA's or two new 24" TN displays (at $200-some per display either way), but I draw the line at any higher than that. :p

Where are you finding new 2209wa for 200? I did a quick search on google and closest i can find is 309... I am in the same boat as you 3 2209wa + dvi->dp is going to roughly cost $1000, or pay the extra money and get 3 24s, although i have yet to find 3 24s that i really like... i'm tempted to try my luck with three u2410s but the reviews have got me very skeptical.... LOL so yes we are both in the same boat decisions decisions....

Search the boards, it might not be exactly $200 (maybe $220 or w/e) but it's close, you basically have to call Dell and ask for that price tho... I think it's thru the small business division or something like that, there's a long thread here w/info on the subject. For $300 it ain't worth it imo... I really wanted to stick w/16:10 displays too, and manufacturers are making that hard as more and more of the newer models are 16:9, argh. HP has some new IPS models coming out soon (22" and 24"). Nice list to keep an eye on:

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Of the two new HP IPS displays listed, one is 22" and 1920x1080 btw, the other is 24" and 1920x1200... Based on this press release it looks like the 22" model will be around $290 so the slightly larger NEC might still be the better buy if you're going down that route, but I'm intrigued what the price of the 24" model will be. Apparently they were/are coming out in Feb. so we'll know soon enough.

Well I guess I need to sell my current displays in order to afford the 3 that I am going to get. I will start with the Dell 2408WFP as I know it is worth the most, then the Dell 2007WFP. I am still not sure which to buy though. After watching a few videos and looking at some of the picks from the Eyefinity event in Texas the Dell P2310H's look good in landscape mode. Hell if AMD chose them to show off the technology how bad can they be? I think I will wait for the price to come down a little or wait for a sale. They are $229 right now I would like to see them at $200. I know they were about $190 around the holidays. Well I guess i will see what happens over the next few weeks. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just setup my eyefinity setup last night and nothing but problems from the DP to VGA adapter that everyone is saying to use. All I get is flickering when I try to run the screens at native 1920 X 1200. When I drop down the resolution they work but it doesn't look good. So I broke down and ordered a Dell active DP to DVI for $100.00 I hope that fixes all my problems.

theres a 25 page topic on the WSGF about the active adapter. It doesn't work the greatest either.

theres a 25 page topic on the WSGF about the active adapter. It doesn't work the greatest either.

So what's the best way without selling these monitors and buying new ones? I thought if you have the active DP to DVI adapter it would work fine.

Has anyone tried an eyefinity set up with a FW900 and 2 24" 16:10 LCDs?

I have 2 FW900s and a W900 (basically a FW900 but not trinitron (the screen is curved) with a lower refresh rate at 1920x1200) so if I can get my hands on a displayport->VGA adaptor I'll try it out. My back and desk will definitely hate me for doing it though!

The bezels will probably kill the immersion as they're about an inch width IIRC. Anyone know if I can run different refresh rates at the same time? The FW900s do 1920x1200@85hz while the W900 can only do 1920x1200@75hz

I'm running a FW900, a 226CW, and a 2210H, and I LOVE it. I overlap the bezels so that the only bezels in the equation are the LCD bezels. The LCDs are 22" monitors, since the actual viewable area of a FW900 is along the lines of a 22.5" LCD. You could get away with 24" ones if you wanted though...

I dunno about 3xF(W)900s; the radiation alone I suspect would kill you. :D

if i'm going two 4:3 monitors on my side and I have a 22" in the middle. What monitor size should be the closest to match my bezel? 19 inch? I'm using a viewsonic vx2265wm

I don't think that's gonna work for you... If two are 4:3 and one is widescreen they're gonna be running different resolutions, you need matched resolutions to use Eyefinity AFAIK no? A lot of people want to use 20-22" 4:3 1600x1200 panels alongside their main 30" 2560x1600 displays and they're currently unable to do so w/Eyefinity.

if anyone is still looking for monitors for eyeinfinity, check out overstock.com. They have the HP LP2065 refurbished for $108.49. I purchased 9 of them to do eyefinity setups for my daughters and me.

I recieved 3 ips manufactured in 2008, 4 S-PVA manufactured in 2007, 2 S-PVA manufactured in 2006, and 1 S-PVA manufactured in 2005. The 2005 is only showing 1 hr on the backlight when I looked at the information, so guessing they put a new back light in it. The rest are only showing between 4000 and 5000 hrs for backlight. All the screens came with no dead pixels, no scratches, or any color shifting problems. I have played movies and games on all of them now and haven't noticed any ghosting or artifacting. The 3 ips do have the normal funky dark gray when showing a solid black scene. All the cases are in good shape. The 2005 I had to straighten the base a little because it would wobble. The rest of the monitors had a few use marks and light scratches around the bezels. Only found 2 of them to have any scratches on the stands.

I hope this gives everyone some more information and options for going to a triple monitor setup.

Hey guys. Just wanted to let everyone know I got my Dell Active DP to DVI adapter 2 days ago and so far everything has been working great. No flickering of the DP screen. If this didn't fix it I was going to sell my Eyefinity setup and buy a 30" LCD. So far so good.

If it is the Samsung 275t 27" LCD you have and you end up going to the 30" and sell your monitors PM me . and let me have first dib's

Decided to go with two HP la2205wg to pair with my 120hz viewsonic. Got a decent deal for refurbished ones on eBay. 160 shipped after bcb. Ill see I mixing refresh rates will work. 320 for two lcds and didn't have to buy an active adapter but course ill have to risk having dead pixels. Good thing theres a warranty.

Hello everyone,

I need help choosing monitors for my Eyefinity setup. I currently own a Samsung 245T (On Newegg), which is an exceptional monitor that I would like to still use.

I would like to get another pair of 24" monitors to supplement it. Here are my needs:

Budget: $1000 or less (optimally, something like $600-$800 would be best; I don't mind purchasing an Active DP to DVI connector if the total price would be less then $1000)
Uses: Gaming, Web Design, General Productivity
Desired Eyefinity Configuration: 3x1
Desired Resolution: Either 1900x1200 or 1600x1200 (I use 1900x1200 when doing design, 1600x1200 when gaming)
Special Requirements: Secondary monitors need to look acceptable compared to the 245T, by which I mean have decent color balance compared to the 245T's S-PVA panel. Having the base of the secondary monitors being fully adjustable (Height, Pivot, Swivel, Tilt) would be a plus, but is not required.

Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Configuration suggestions? How about as many ginormous monitors as you can afford squeezed as tightly together as possible? ;)

--

Ok, ok, seriously though, I'll be going for the three 30's (3x1) in landscape. Provides plenty of real estate for my applications, and having the horizontal bezel all the way across the middle of my FOV in the 3x2 configuration is more distracting to me then simply the two verticals.

I already have 3 Gateway XHD3000's, so I'll be using the adapters to go DisplayPort to DVI-D.

does your xhd3000 still operational and working good or did they tank. Mine are done

I dunno about 3xF(W)900s; the radiation alone I suspect would kill you. :D

I hope to try this soon but I scratched the front of my third one before I ever got to use it (Set it safely on my couch because I thought it would be safe there when I first got it but I forgot my heatercore was on teh couch too and it tipped onto it :( ) and can't get the bezel off for some reason. I think one is dimmer than the other also, so I have some work to do still. If I get it going I will be posting pictures if I get it going. The first time I tried the FW900 with the VGA to DPA adaptor I had some issues getting the resolutions I wanted and when used with my 24in LCD's its annoying to have to use the FW900 at 60hz.

Ill see I mixing refresh rates will work. 320 for two lcds and didn't have to buy an active adapter but course ill have to risk having dead pixels. Good thing theres a warranty.

As posted above it didn't not work when I had lcd's with my Sony/HP CRT (HP version of FW900) I was forced to run 60hz on all three.

I'm currently using a Dell U2410 and was thinking about going eyefinity and was wondering how this setup would work? I know 3xU2410 would be ideal, but it would cost about $600 more then with two 2209wa's.

Here are my options:

1) Upgrade my current 24" U2410 to a Dell 3007wfp or 3008wfp
2) Go eyefinity and get two 22" 2209WA for side monitors
3) Go eyefinity and get two 24" U2410 for side monitors

I'm really leaning towards the two 22" side monitors because of cost, but I'm not sure how well the different resolutions would work together?

Any thoughts are welcome.

I'm currently using a Dell U2410 and was thinking about going eyefinity and was wondering how this setup would work? I know 3xU2410 would be ideal, but it would cost about $600 more then with two 2209wa's.

Here are my options:

1) Upgrade my current 24" U2410 to a Dell 3007wfp or 3008wfp
2) Go eyefinity and get two 22" 2209WA for side monitors
3) Go eyefinity and get two 24" U2410 for side monitors

I'm really leaning towards the two 22" side monitors because of cost, but I'm not sure how well the different resolutions would work together?

Any thoughts are welcome.
The different resolutions do not work together. For Eyefinity to work you need the same res on all displays. I also have a U2410 and finally broke down and bought 2 more. They are just too nice to give up. Go for the three U2410s.

The different resolutions do not work together. For Eyefinity to work you need the same res on all displays. I also have a U2410 and finally broke down and bought 2 more. They are just too nice to give up. Go for the three U2410s.
Always thought you could use different resolutions :(

if anyone is still looking for monitors for eyeinfinity, check out overstock.com. They have the HP LP2065 refurbished for $108.49. I purchased 9 of them to do eyefinity setups for my daughters and me.

I recieved 3 ips manufactured in 2008, 4 S-PVA manufactured in 2007, 2 S-PVA manufactured in 2006, and 1 S-PVA manufactured in 2005. The 2005 is only showing 1 hr on the backlight when I looked at the information, so guessing they put a new back light in it. The rest are only showing between 4000 and 5000 hrs for backlight. All the screens came with no dead pixels, no scratches, or any color shifting problems. I have played movies and games on all of them now and haven't noticed any ghosting or artifacting. The 3 ips do have the normal funky dark gray when showing a solid black scene. All the cases are in good shape. The 2005 I had to straighten the base a little because it would wobble. The rest of the monitors had a few use marks and light scratches around the bezels. Only found 2 of them to have any scratches on the stands.

I hope this gives everyone some more information and options for going to a triple monitor setup.

My wife made fun of me when I told her about the eyefinity deal, but after seeing it now she wants a setup herself. :D Great info, thanks!

I'm looking for a 3 x 22 inch setup that doesn't break the bank. I don't want TN panels though. I scouted around the web for a week now but didn't really find something excellent.

I'm from Europe too, so I can't order from the dell outlet and such.

There's not very many 22" IPS panels, much less affordable ones, the Dell model is pretty much it.

how are people getting away with this ports?

I thought 1 monitor needed to be a DP port, and the 2 others both DVI or 1 DVI and 1 VGA?

can someone explain?

They're using active converter boxes (which seems to be hit or miss, depending on the firmware), or they're using one DP display (in rare cases).

Back