Eyefinity and Triple DVI working.

Whos panties are in a wad? You're the one who took offense to a photoshop being called a photoshop :p

Your panties, in a twist. :p Seems you took offence of the picture. You should tell Sapphire how you want them to take pictures, so they don't offend you and you start derailing the posts.

I don't care about the picture, only what it represents. Many have waited for ATI's certified adapters for Eyefinity and this is good news for them.

I am taking the plunge with Eyefinity. Picked up a 5970 & 3 Asus 26 inch LCDs(thank you Bing Cashback!). The Asus LCDs have DVI, VGA, & HDMI inputs. What kind of DP adapter do I need to get this setup working(I assume I need a DP adapter).

Thanks

I am taking the plunge with Eyefinity. Picked up a 5970 & 3 Asus 26 inch LCDs(thank you Bing Cashback!). The Asus LCDs have DVI, VGA, & HDMI inputs. What kind of DP adapter do I need to get this setup working(I assume I need a DP adapter).

Thanks

None right now. Despite what the title of this thread implies, triple-DVI with Eyefinity is not "working" for many people due to the blinking issue.

Wait a couple weeks for the ATI-certified adapter before spending $100 the adapter that's currently out there, but has the blinking issue.

No luck with my 3 soyo 24 inch's with vga to dp adapter (bsod and highest res possible 1600 x 1200). With the DP adaptor on my 24inch Sony crt I can get it to work but only at 3xxx by 1024. My active DVI adaptor got rescheduled to be delivered tomorrow so I guess I will have to see how that goes. I was hoping for triple 24inch crt though. Using this adaptor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270275 which I think is the same as the directron one.

Last edited:
None right now. Despite what the title of this thread implies, triple-DVI with Eyefinity is not "working" for many people due to the blinking issue.

Wait a couple weeks for the ATI-certified adapter before spending $100 the adapter that's currently out there, but has the blinking issue.

I ordered a Dell adapter. I figure its worth a shot. If it doesnt work I have three weeks to return it.

People are having success with a cheapo DP->VGA, I'd give it a go. My setup is using the active Apple one and seems to be running fine, granted I'm afraid to upgrade my drivers in fear of losing my working setup. :p

People are having success with a cheapo DP->VGA, I'd give it a go. My setup is using the active Apple one and seems to be running fine, granted I'm afraid to upgrade my drivers in fear of losing my working setup. :p

Same here. I'm having great luck with my Apple active adapter. Just for giggles, I purchased the VGA-DP cheapo adapter from Directron. It was a *pain-in-the-ass* to get working with multiple reboots and configuration changes, but I finally got it working at 2048x1152 (combined Eyefinity of 6144x1152).

The Apple active adapter was so much easier to setup and works more reliably than the VGA, but of course, it's about $80 more in all (with the required mini-DP regular-DP adapter cable).

The other downside is at that resolution, VGA is a bit softer than the crystal sharp DVI-DP signal.

This thread was extremely helpful setting up Eyefinity after upgrading my video card to the 5870. I've been wanting to game across 3 monitors since I read about the Matrox Parhelia way back in July 2002.

I did make the mistake of purchasing a passive StarTech DisplayPort to DVI adapter. After reading further and realizing my mistake, I ordered the Dell adapter (made by BizLink). It was only a $28 mistake though.

Dell DisplayPort to DVI-D Adapter
EyefinitySetup04.jpg

The 1 issue I have (minor) is that my PC won't turn on with the adapter plugged in to the USB port. I have to unplug it, power the PC up, and plug it in after that. Not a big deal though. Probably can be fixed with a powered USB hub.
I got the Dell adapter in 2 days (after the 3rd monitor showed up with the passive adapter). I am still going to update my rig over the Christmas holiday (I built this one Fathers Day 2007), but so far, the framerates are pretty good for the few games I've tried out. I will need to fine-tune the monitors color settings to match between all three though, which I never bothered to do when I was just gaming with my 8800 GTS 640 on one screen.

Here are a few pics (yeah, I'm using my MaximumPC magazines as monitor height shims):

Unreal Tournament3
EyefinitySetup01.jpg

EyefinitySetup02.jpg

EyefinitySetup03.jpg

Hawx

EyefinitySetup05.jpg

Got my 3 Asus 26 inch monitors with a Dell active adapter on my 5970 working no problem.

Those pictures look great, but I wish the monitors had borderless displays. It looks jarring to jump from screen to screen. Nevertheless, progress is progress.

Now with 24" monitors, I would noticed them having them all in portrait.
With 30" I would guess not. Hmm....time to upgrade. ;)

now they need crosfirex with eyefinity!

I think it has just been implemented in 9.12s with Hotfix. I don't have a three monitor setup yet, hopefully we'll see some results soon. It'll be great if we can set up the monitors on different cards, negating the need for the displayport to DVI adapter.

I have 3 Dell 2405WFP Monitors on my 5870
2 are Hooked using DVI
1 is hooked up using the Bizlink (Dell)

The Bizlink one constantly flickers and I have tried
All three monitors.
Different DVI cables (which all work when hooked up to DVI). and all are heavy duty dual link monoprice cables.
I also tried the 9.12 drivers released today without any success.
Issue occurs in both Eyefinity mode and extended desktop mode.
Wall USB charger did nothing to help (but freed up a USB port I needed, so no harm done).
Overdrive is off

That being said I've seen this type of behavor before on a Samsung 20" LCD 1600x1200 which just did not (and still to this day will not work on ATI cards, but does with Nvidia). This issue with the flashing appears to me to be the exact same, and I'm guessing it has to do the refresh rates from the Bizlink to the Monitor, the older Dell's (seem to be the most common and others), may just not handle the converted single. What is interesting is that the displayport works fine if a passive cable is used.

I'd be interested if anyone which the issue and a Bizlink adapter has had success with the Apple Adapter?, since based on previous experience this is a 100% issue with the Bizlink hardware, and might very well work with a different brand.

Performed 2 other tests:
1. On an Asus 24" monitor 1920x1080P: Did not work
2. On an Acer 24" monitor 1920x1080P: Did not work
2. Changed Display resolution on the Dell 2405WFP and it works at 1280x768 and 1440x900, but not at 1600x1200, 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. As the resolution above 1440x900 was increased so did the rate of flicker. My new theory is that this Bizlink can not handle high frequencies correctly.

Purchased a ACELL adapter and RMA'ed the Bizlink to DELL (they are the exact same down to the stickers on the back). The new ACELL only does 1280x960, not even 1280x1024 no less the required 1920x1200. Worse yet I can not RMA the crap.

My thought is getting a working adapter especially at 1920x1200 or even 1920x1080 is hit or miss, likely a lot more miss than hit, the only thing you can really do is buy a DP monitor. Don't waste time with the DP to DVI adapters, to many failures and problems if you want high resolutions.

ERIC

2 are Hooked using DVI

All three monitors.
Different DVI cables (which all work when hooked up to DVI). and all are heavy duty dual link monoprice cables.
Wall USB charger did nothing to help (but freed up a USB port I needed, so no harm done).
Overdrive is off

That being said I've seen this type of behavor before on a Samsung 20" LCD 1600x1200 which just did not (and still to this day will not work on ATI cards, but does with Nvidia). This issue with the flashing appears to me to be the exact same, and I'm guessing it has to do the refresh rates from the Bizlink to the Monitor, the older Dell's (seem to be the most common and others), may just not handle the converted single. What is interesting is that the displayport works fine if a passive cable is used.

I'd be interested if anyone which the issue and a Bizlink adapter has had success with the Apple Adapter?, since based on previous experience this is a 100% issue with the Bizlink hardware, and might very well work with a different brand.

Performed 2 other tests:
2. Changed Display resolution on the Dell 2405WFP and it works at 1280x768 and 1440x900, but not at 1600x1200, 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. As the resolution above 1440x900 was increased so did the rate of flicker. My new theory is that this Bizlink can not handle high frequencies correctly.

Purchased a ACELL adapter and RMA'ed the Bizlink to DELL (they are the exact same down to the stickers on the back). The new ACELL only does 1280x960, not even 1280x1024 no less the required 1920x1200. Worse yet I can not RMA the crap.

My thought is getting a working adapter especially at 1920x1200 or even 1920x1080 is hit or miss, likely a lot more miss than hit, the only thing you can really do is buy a DP monitor. Don't waste time with the DP to DVI adapters, to many failures and problems if you want high resolutions.

ERIC

Ive been running 3 26inch Asus monitors in eyefinity using the Dell active adpater now for almost two weeks & its been flawless. This is on a 5970.

Ive been running 3 26inch Asus monitors in eyefinity using the Dell active adpater now for almost two weeks & its been flawless. This is on a 5970.

Mind posting a pic of your Asus 266's in eyefinity? I'm thinking about getting 2 more of these,curious how the size looks.

Mind posting a pic of your Asus 266's in eyefinity? I'm thinking about getting 2 more of these,curious how the size looks.

Here you go. I have absolutely no regrets going from a Dell 3007-hc to these three Asus monitors. The experience is awesome!.

4206279760_b7f5804c2d_o.jpg

4206279698_ffbbe5657e_o.jpg

2 are Hooked using DVI

All three monitors.
Overdrive is off

Performed 2 other tests:

ERIC

Requested support and a replacement from ACCELL and the response came from Bizlink, so I feel it is safe to assume they are one in the same, also given the pictures of the new ones being released I think it is same to assume that are also just rebranded Bizlink adapters.

In case you are interested support requested the following information:
1. OS
2. Monitor brands and Models
3. Cable Brand and Model (that is not always easy, but luckily mine are from monoprice)
4. EDID from the monitors (which I could not provided under Windows 7)
5. Adapter Model and BIOS revision (not sure what good BIOS does as I'm unwilling to risk a 5870 on a BIOS upgrade).

My current plan is to just continue to hound them until they admit to the issue and replace the adapter free of charge as it is faulty. I'd suggest that everyone with a similar issue do the same (even if you already returned the device for one that works), Bizlink needs to understand that their QA process is crap and that the product they are shipping is broken so that they improves for other people.
ERIC

Last edited:
I have been using an ACCELL branded adapter, and a Dell "Bizlink" adapter in two different setups for a month now, with no problems whatsoever with 5870's. One even uses older Dell monitors, maybe your adapter is bad.

BTW, I am selling the Accell adapter. I just bought 3 Dell 2408's, so I wont be needing it. PM me if you are interested.

2 are Hooked using DVI

All three monitors.

There is a fix for this. It requires a BIOS flash of your 5870.

Apprently these adapters (Bizlink, Dell, Apple) are all sensitive to a slightly lower DisplayPort signal strength that the 5870's are putting out. This new BIOS, made available by Dave from ATI, boosts the DisplayPort signal strength.

This *completely* cured any flashing/flickers/blinking I've experienced using my Apple adapter and Samsung 2343BWX LCD.

Get the BIOS here:
http://techpowerup.com/vgabios/61848/ATI.HD5870.1024.091112.html

Get the flashing program here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1650/ATIFlash_3.75.html

If you are unfamiliar with flashing a video card's BIOS, don't do it. Otherwise, this is the only thing that I know of that completely solved my issues.

I have been using an ACCELL branded adapter, and a Dell "Bizlink" adapter in two different setups for a month now, with no problems whatsoever with 5870's. One even uses older Dell monitors, maybe your adapter is bad.

BTW, I am selling the Accell adapter. I just bought 3 Dell 2408's, so I wont be needing it. PM me if you are interested.

Finally got the upgrade bug LanPirate1? That poor Accell adaptor just can't find a good home to stay. With all these issues everyone else has been having, I guess I lucked out with the 2 I ordered. No issues even after 3 owners.

There is a fix for this. It requires a BIOS flash of your 5870.

Apprently these adapters (Bizlink, Dell, Apple) are all sensitive to a slightly lower DisplayPort signal strength that the 5870's are putting out. This new BIOS, made available by Dave from ATI, boosts the DisplayPort signal strength.

This *completely* cured any flashing/flickers/blinking I've experienced using my Apple adapter and Samsung 2343BWX LCD.

Get the BIOS here:
http://techpowerup.com/vgabios/61848/ATI.HD5870.1024.091112.html

Get the flashing program here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1650/ATIFlash_3.75.html

If you are unfamiliar with flashing a video card's BIOS, don't do it. Otherwise, this is the only thing that I know of that completely solved my issues.

Gave it a try, downloaded and flashed using: ATI.HD5870.1024.091112.bin
Flashing was quick and easy went well both times.

Flashing did not do anything to fix the DP connected panel (still flickered about once a second).

Second one of the DVI monitors stopped working correctly (would get crap in the bottom 50% every few seconds (not usable), had to re-flash back to the original bios 12.011.000.006.034494. Now no DP display at all again, yet at least the DVI ports work correctly.

So flashing did not help. -1 for that for those keeping count

ATI needs to release a solution for this ASAP, as I'm just plain pissed off at this point, might try complaining to support on Monday (need something to do while at work).
ERIC

Flashing did not do anything to fix the DP connected panel (still flickered about once a second).

Second one of the DVI monitors stopped working correctly (would get crap in the bottom 50% every few seconds (not usable), had to re-flash back to the original bios 12.011.000.006.034494. Now no DP display at all again, yet at least the DVI ports work correctly.

ATI needs to release a solution for this ASAP, as I'm just plain pissed off at this point, might try complaining to support on Monday (need something to do while at work).
ERIC

Have you gotten the adapter replaced? I was having issues with my first one so I RMA'd it (got an accel one from amazon, they overnighted me the replacement) and I haven't had any issues since. I don't think the video cards are the issue but rather the adapters are. Seems the quality is not the same between the each adapter.

ERIC

Sorry to hear that. Did you confirm via the CCC's info panel that the correct BIOS version was flashed?

I'm using three Samsung 2343BWX with an Apple DP DVI adapter and the new BIOS cured it. I'm also using the latest hotfix (beta) 9.12 drivers which were released about a half day after the official 9.12. Been running with this new BIOS for the last few days for hours at a time with no blinking.

BTW, immediately following the BIOS flash, I had a few moments of garbled graphical glitches until I cold booted the system again. Been working fine since.

BTW, immediately following the BIOS flash, I had a few moments of garbled graphical glitches until I cold booted the system again. Been working fine since.

Reflashed and did some more testing: The glitches are related to handling window borders (resizing, passing across them ...), this happens with both 9.12 and 9.12beta. This can be fixed by disabling the Aero effects (cold booting did nothing), but then that is not an acceptable long term solution. Restoring the default BIOS removes the issue immediately, has anyone else seen this problem?

ERIC

Reflashed and did some more testing: The glitches are related to handling window borders (resizing, passing across them ...), this happens with both 9.12 and 9.12beta. This can be fixed by disabling the Aero effects (cold booting did nothing), but then that is not an acceptable long term solution. Restoring the default BIOS removes the issue immediately, has anyone else seen this problem?

ERIC

Wow, that's weird. I've had no issues with Aero using Windows 7 64-bit.

This is my system, BTW: Windows 7 64-bit, Sapphire 5870 stock speed, 3.6GHz Core i7 920.

Which brand of 5870 do you have and what OS are you using?

Wow, that's weird. I've had no issues with Aero using Windows 7 64-bit.

This is my system, BTW: Windows 7 64-bit, Sapphire 5870 stock speed, 3.6GHz Core i7 920.

First off, thanks for the links.

Secondly, I tried the flash utility (3.79 and 3.75) using Win7 64 and it told me it was not compatible with my version of Windows. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

Thanks again.

First off, thanks for the links.

Secondly, I tried the flash utility (3.79 and 3.75) using Win7 64 and it told me it was not compatible with my version of Windows. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

Thanks again.

The flasher doesn't work in Windows. You need a boot disk of some sort, either a USB floppy drive or USB mem stick. Boot into a DOS prompt and use the flash utility to flash the .bin file to your card. I'm not aware of any Windows flasher. :(

The flasher doesn't work in Windows. You need a boot disk of some sort, either a USB floppy drive or USB mem stick. Boot into a DOS prompt and use the flash utility to flash the .bin file to your card. I'm not aware of any Windows flasher. :(

Oh duh, what was I thinking. :rolleyes: Thanks for the speedy reply.

Back