Evolve Alpha sign up is LIVE!

when the player playing the Monster decides to hide and run around the map instead of fighting it becomes annoying and boring but when everything comes together it's crazy fun

If there is a large skill imbalance (or your group just manages to make all the wrong moves when tracking the Monster) you can end up chasing the Monster around and essentially doing nothing for quite awhile. That said, the Monster is supposed to run around the map and evolve before facing the Hunters and/or attacking the objective.

Once the Monster gets to stage 3 you're basically guaranteed a battle at the objective. One of the coolest moments for me so far was when my group was standing on top of the dam, listening to the rain and looking out over the forest trying to spot the Monster that would eventually come for us. Very Jurrasic Park-esque listening to Goliath thunder through the forest below.

If there is a large skill imbalance (or your group just manages to make all the wrong moves when tracking the Monster) you can end up chasing the Monster around and essentially doing nothing for quite awhile. That said, the Monster is supposed to run around the map and evolve before facing the Hunters and/or attacking the objective

so the Monster is supposed to feed and get to Stage 3 before fighting the Hunters?...guess I was playing the Monster wrong then...I would run around for a bit and attack whenever possible...slip away to feed and Evolve and attack again...guess that explains why I've gotten very few wins playing as the Monster :D

is there any debate that CryEngine is the most beautiful gaming engine in existence?...even in a relatively dark game like this it looks amazing...not perfect by any means due to some low res textures and other graphics issues but it looks stunning...

Weird, I was trying to that and it was taking a very long time...long enough that I wasn't able to get them up before the monster came after me.

Yeah, its faster if you can to run up and revive them. If Hank is handy he can use the cloak for a nice stealthy revive. However the target needs to stop shooting to stay cloaked or the monster will come over.

You pretty much echoed my same concerns. I think to get the most out of this game you really need to play with the same group of people over and over again, grouping with random anons is just an exercise in frustration...

I dunno, I've had some great random matchups in the two alphas and now in the beta.
Most people need to stop dictating what others should do and focus on their class. I have also had some crappy ones lol.

I agree that if your medic or trapper sucks it sucks, but your not watching their screen, you dont know if they have cool down or are lining something else up.

Earlier tonight someone was yelling at Laz for not healing him fast enough after he hurt himself on wildlife, Laz was waiting for the AOE heal to cool down after using it to restore half the guys health already. Someone was chewing me out when I was support for not using shield on them when they felt I should. They changed their story when my letting the monster pillage them let the trapper harpoon him and Val tranq him then my entire orbital barrage took 50% of his health down. A quick revive on him and we easily won.

I had a higher vantage point and could see more of what was happening whereas he only saw a face full of monster. My point is we may think people suck at times because we would do X or Y but we are not seeing their side of things and they may be doing a really good job. They also could just be new or not very good, it happens.

On the other hand, it makes the game more fun when you have a full team with mic

I have one, and I typically mute everyone else because they are whiny, shrill and annoyingly bossy. Very rarely do I find some that actually talk like humans or semi coherently. I can often pick up the monster by sounds or animal noises and turn to try and head him off but when someone is incessantly babbling about what / how we should be playing.... no thanks.

90% of the time as soon as people join I mute them. In game pings, health meters and paying attention tell most coherent players what they need. Yeah I could be missing out on some details or strategy but if I do my job I'll pick up on what they need without fighting through the bossy "know" it all's that would remove all fun from it lol.

Now if there were age restrictions and maturity requirements it would be a different story :p

how do I disable subtitles?...I looked through all the options and I don't see it...wasn't Tessellation supposed to be an Advanced Graphics option?...I don't see that either

How long does the Beta go on?
I just play on my days off due to issues...

the beta runs until Monday, January 19th at 8pm PST...so plenty of time to join in on the fun...and the game is a lot of fun...unlike Titanfall where the beta was crazy fun as well but I saw myself getting bored and burnt out after a few weeks...but with the Evolve beta I can see myself getting addicted and playing for months

I can only really see playing this if I get a good team together and play in a group. With random pub people so far like 90% of the matches I've played have sucked.

I have one, and I typically mute everyone else because they are whiny, shrill and annoyingly bossy. Very rarely do I find some that actually talk like humans or semi coherently. I can often pick up the monster by sounds or animal noises and turn to try and head him off but when someone is incessantly babbling about what / how we should be playing.... no thanks.

90% of the time as soon as people join I mute them. In game pings, health meters and paying attention tell most coherent players what they need. Yeah I could be missing out on some details or strategy but if I do my job I'll pick up on what they need without fighting through the bossy "know" it all's that would remove all fun from it lol.

Now if there were age restrictions and maturity requirements it would be a different story :p

I bet you're fun at parties.

I can only really see playing this if I get a good team together and play in a group. With random pub people so far like 90% of the matches I've played have sucked.

I think that's because people are learning how to play the game...once people get a handle on the mechanics then it should be fine...I was also confused in the beginning but after many matches I'm getting the hang of each class and how best to play against the Monster...the Monster requires it's own skill set as well

Yeah I don't see this having the lasting power of Turtle Rocks previous games. The game just lacks a competitive fun-factor like L4D2. Sadly I was pretty stoked for this game and yet I think we are going to have another Titanfall type flop. Non of my friends that have played L4D series, for thousands of hours, are even considering buying this game. And I feel pretty much the same after playing the Big Alpha and Beta.

I didn't think the 4v1 team dynamic would be... this bad.

That said here ar my top games I was excited for over the last couple years;

Titanfal
Destiny (bought a PS4 for this game)
Elder Scrolls Online
Watch Dogs
Thief
Driveclub
Diablo3 ( this game is good now, it only took over 2 years)
Evolve

FML! If The Witcher 3 is bad I am going to stop playing games beside CSGO.

Last edited:
if anything the Hunters as a team are over-powered, so getting a good group together would make it a bit too easy...hopefully the unlocks and DLC exclusive Monsters are better then the Goliath one in the beta

I kinda get where you're coming from. It's a game in Beta that people are just starting to learn. If somebody is obviously trying and you loose. so what. it's a game get um next time. The last thing anybody wants to hear is somebody screaming about when and where you should have done something and you suck when you just wanted to sit back check out the Beta and gasp! have a little fun. Fun of all the crazy things. Ok so that became sorta a rant on my part. But overall I'm enjoying myself in the Beta.

I kinda get where you're coming from. It's a game in Beta that people are just starting to learn. If somebody is obviously trying and you loose. so what. it's a game get um next time. The last thing anybody wants to hear is somebody screaming about when and where you should have done something and you suck when you just wanted to sit back check out the Beta and gasp! have a little fun. Fun of all the crazy things. Ok so that became sorta a rant on my part. But overall I'm enjoying myself in the Beta.

To be fair most of the community from previous Turtle Rock games is competitive. But yeah this is a beta so people should probably relax, learn and enjoy. Now two months from now, if you purchase this game, be prepared for this competitive nature in every lobby. If you play less than par be prepared for a votekick. Turtle Rocks games community can be pretty toxic/competitive, etc. This will not be a game for casual gamers to just 'hop into'. Best bet, if you want a more casual, laid back experience, is to find some like minded people and team up and forego pubbing entirely.

If that's true then I probably won't bother buying it. Though it seems to have bots when you don't get a full game, so I wonder if you could play co-op somehow.

If that's true then I probably won't bother buying it. Though it seems to have bots when you don't get a full game, so I wonder if you could play co-op somehow.

once a human player comes into the game it replaces the bot...so it's not as bad as Titanfall which seemed to have huge numbers of bots at all times

the more I play the more I like this game...the variety of the environments with all those different animal species and plants which can kill you along with the Monster add to the beauty of the environment...the Monsters other then Goliath are also really cool...Goliath seems like the weakest of the Monsters...I like this so much I might actually pay $60

To be fair most of the community from previous Turtle Rock games is competitive. But yeah this is a beta so people should probably relax, learn and enjoy. Now two months from now, if you purchase this game, be prepared for this competitive nature in every lobby. If you play less than par be prepared for a votekick. Turtle Rocks games community can be pretty toxic/competitive, etc. This will not be a game for casual gamers to just 'hop into'. Best bet, if you want a more casual, laid back experience, is to find some like minded people and team up and forego pubbing entirely.

This is sorta the worst advertisement for the game.

Yeah, I just played a couple more matches and this game REALLY relies on everyone in the Hunter team knowing WTF they are doing. You get a Trapper or a Medic who isn't constantly tracking/healing, everything goes to shit. Which is a really huge blow for playing MP with randos in this game. When I played as a Medic I was constantly either healing people or trying to tranq the monster (when in closer obviously I was using the sniper rifle), and we owned the fuck out of the monster. Next round, we were half health the entire match because the asshole Medic never even pulled out the medgun, and the Trapper couldn't do shit either so we spent most of the match running in circles. Somehow we actually won (I think due to Monster incompetence because our entire team nearly died multiple times) but it was really not that fun.

The game itself is actually pretty cool, conceptually and mechanically for the most part. But it just requires too much reliance on other people with only 4 players on the Hunter team.

yeah the people that come in and think they can play like CoD and just shoot the Monster with their guns are silly...Medics need to heal the group, Trappers need to deploy the mobile arena etc...really everyone supports Markov who is the main shooter

Yeah, I just played a couple more matches and this game REALLY relies on everyone in the Hunter team knowing WTF they are doing. You get a Trapper or a Medic who isn't constantly tracking/healing, everything goes to shit. Which is a really huge blow for playing MP with randos in this game. When I played as a Medic I was constantly either healing people or trying to tranq the monster (when in closer obviously I was using the sniper rifle), and we owned the fuck out of the monster. Next round, we were half health the entire match because the asshole Medic never even pulled out the medgun, and the Trapper couldn't do shit either so we spent most of the match running in circles. Somehow we actually won (I think due to Monster incompetence because our entire team nearly died multiple times) but it was really not that fun.

The game itself is actually pretty cool, conceptually and mechanically for the most part. But it just requires too much reliance on other people with only 4 players on the Hunter team.

So your complaints are that the team-based game requires too much teamwork, and that people don't know how to play like pros during a beta test?

Pubs in general are usually going to be a crapshoot in any team-based game; the true potential lies in playing with friends or at least like-minded individuals. If I'd judged TF2 based on the most frustrating rounds where no one played Medic properly, I'd never have gotten thousands of hours of fun out of it. It took finding some great servers with like-minded gamers to make the game special.

I'm usually not into team based MP games for that reason and prefer Deathmatch MP but something about this is very addicting

yeah the people that come in and think they can play like CoD and just shoot the Monster with their guns are silly...Medics need to heal the group, Trappers need to deploy the mobile arena etc...really everyone supports Markov who is the main shooter

Things should calm down after the free weekend nonsense. Learning curve games really bring the kneejerk rage out of the casuals.

-Evolve Master Race

I bet you're fun at parties.

That would require finding a babysitter and going to said party, where you are right, I would probably be the center of attention :)

I give people a chance off and on, and more often then not am confronted by a 6 year old born 60 years ago who just is gods gift to gaming so if I dont do it his way!

So your complaints are that the team-based game requires too much teamwork, and that people don't know how to play like pros during a beta test?

My complaint is that the game requires four players with unique, important abilities to work together flawlessly in order for the game to be fun. If any one person screws around, there aren't enough players on the team to make up for it.

Again, I am not saying it's a bad game, but unfortunately it's not going to be a fun game with general pub matchmaking.

I think you can get by if the Medic screws around because everyone has the ability to heal up other members of the group...the Trapper and the other guys seem vital

My complaint is that the game requires four players with unique, important abilities to work together flawlessly in order for the game to be fun. If any one person screws around, there aren't enough players on the team to make up for it.

Again, I am not saying it's a bad game, but unfortunately it's not going to be a fun game with general pub matchmaking.

While everyone has vital roles mistakes is part of the game. The monster can make plenty which can negate any poor decisions the hunters may make.

I finally was in a group that took down a Wraith today. Random players. 2 very new 1 highly experienced and myself. The wraith kept missing his abilities and timing his supernova all wrong so we were able to take him out.

While yeah everyone does need to do their role there are some subtle balances in place. Not a lot but it can happen. That said I've been in a few tonight where someone just goofing around threw the match but oh well. At least most rounds don't take too long.

I think you can get by if the Medic screws around because everyone has the ability to heal up other members of the group...the Trapper and the other guys seem vital

I would say Medic is one of the most vital, because as far as I can tell there is no other way to regenerate health, and every time you go down you permanently lose part of your health bar. Being able to revive with anyone is like the bare minimum, because usually in those situations you are being attacked and it's difficult to pull off before the monster rapes your face.

I would say Medic is one of the most vital, because as far as I can tell there is no other way to regenerate health, and every time you go down you permanently lose part of your health bar. Being able to revive with anyone is like the bare minimum, because usually in those situations you are being attacked and it's difficult to pull off before the monster rapes your face.

there's an unlock which gives you health regeneration...15 pts every second I think...but you're right that every member is pretty vital...the Medic is my least favorite character to play

I actually prefer the Medic...then again I play a medic in many games (ArmA 3, BF3 back when I actually played it, etc.).

Medic and Trapper are my favorite to play. I like the 3 medic classes, each works well against certain monsters (thus far released) and plays slightly different so more people can utilize the class.

I just wish more people who are downed would stop shooting when a cloaked medic or team mate comes to help them lol. If they stop shooting they would cloak and the monster would leave us alone.

I like playing trapper, enjoy the responsibility/tension. I'm also a big dog guy, so daisy doesn't hurt

Last edited:
I like the Support guy best...all of his weapons/abilities are great...chain gun, bomb drop and the cloak ability

I like the Support guy best...all of his weapons/abilities are great...chain gun, bomb drop and the cloak ability

Hank has nice versatility i'd say. I like Bucket for his UAV ability, he almost makes any hunter useless, IMO. I dunno about the third guy though, haven't unlocked him yet.

Hank has nice versatility i'd say. I like Bucket for his UAV ability, he almost makes any hunter useless, IMO. I dunno about the third guy though, haven't unlocked him yet.

yeah the Support guys seem to be better balanced all around...

The wraith monster moves too damn fast, its almost impossible to keep up with. AKA, it needs a nerf and god forbid if your trapper sucks.

Back