EVGA Overtake

Wow I can't believe the increase in production. The top 10 is insane right now!

Top 10??? Try top 20, it is going to take 207k ppd to break into the top 20. That is just nuts :eek: I think it is time to light my boxes back up to aide in bringing us back to #1 again.

Top 10??? Try top 20, it is going to take 207k ppd to break into the top 20. That is just nuts :eek: I think it is time to light my boxes back up to aide in bringing us back to #1 again.
Its all pretty impressive. I noticed this because I just recently started folding again.
However I noticed that I'm rocking some crazy numbers on my 570 with these newer Wu's. I'm seeing 18.5-19k ppd with it. Its been a while since I've folded but I don't remember the ppd being that high.

those WUs showed up awhile ago, than disappeared, now they're back. I think they use them for testing certain projects, but they dont do any real science.

This team could definately use whatever extra production anyone can contribute as it isn't going to be easy. I remember when my meager production from folding 1 and 2 were able to get me to #14 on the list.

I don't even make 1k right now since I'm just running 2 uniprocs on my laptop.

That is exactly how I started out as I simply ran a single uniprocessor classic client on my laptop before the addiction kicked in. After the bug bit me, I then fired up my gaming rig. Then I turned off the gaming rig and built a dedicated folding rig based on a Bloomfield. Then the bug bit me worse and I built folding2 using a Gulftown. Sometime around the end of this year, I hope that i'll have the funds for a multiprocessor rig.

A fun fact: Points produced in last 30 days:

561,229,750 - [H]
560,486,333 - EVGA

:D

Since 06/12/11 (when [H] produced more points in a day than EVGA for the first time in a long time) we have done 18.5 million more than EVGA. We will see if this is enough to hold on through their start of month ramp - they are dong the same as us the last few days.

I love a good race.

That is exactly how I started out as I simply ran a single uniprocessor classic client on my laptop before the addiction kicked in. After the bug bit me, I then fired up my gaming rig. Then I turned off the gaming rig and built a dedicated folding rig based on a Bloomfield. Then the bug bit me worse and I built folding2 using a Gulftown. Sometime around the end of this year, I hope that i'll have the funds for a multiprocessor rig.

Pending BD performance numbers I'll probably be moving folding over to a desktop rig some time in the fall. :)

Pending BD performance numbers I'll probably be moving folding over to a desktop rig some time in the fall. :)

If you plan on staying with a single processor, I would honestly try to save my funds for a Gulftown or 6core/12thread equivalent of Sandy when it comes out later this year. Stanford has alluded to the fact that they will probably end bigadv at some point and replace it with bigbetaadv which requires a minimum of 12 cores(logical or physical). Unfortunately this effectively locks out the Zambezi 8 cores from being able to fold those work units just like the Thubans were locked out of folding bigadv despite the fact that they were more than capable.

It is starting to sound like the bug has bit you as this is how it starts. I imagine that these super folders on our team probably all started small until they realized that folding is a drug worse than powder.

If you plan on staying with a single processor, I would honestly try to save my funds for a Gulftown or 6core/12thread equivalent of Sandy when it comes out later this year. Stanford has alluded to the fact that they will probably end bigadv at some point and replace it with bigbetaadv which requires a minimum of 12 cores(logical or physical). Unfortunately this effectively locks out the Zambezi 8 cores from being able to fold those work units just like the Thubans were locked out of folding bigadv despite the fact that they were more than capable.

It is starting to sound like the bug has bit you as this is how it starts. I imagine that these super folders on our team probably all started small until they realized that folding is a drug worse than powder.

200k >2m ramp started in feb
I know nothing of this addiction you speak of....

cant wait for Ivy Bridge-e to drop, that will finally replace my poor i7 920

dropper... im coming for you....

first thing is that Gulftown is and probably still will be out of my price range when I build. After that consideration, last I heard, Sandy Bridge E won't be out until 2012 (not really sure if they'll do 6c on LGA 1155). As such I'm thinking it's mainly down to whatever is better between BD and Sandy Bridge. I don't care too much about bigadv since it'll be running on my main computer, so it'll probably do normal smp. Even if it could run bigadv, it wouldn't do so unless I'm on vacation or something like that.

Isn't bulldozer supposed to have 16 threads as far as windows is concerned?

No, I thought it was going to run 2 threads per core, but it appears I was confused.

http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=532&t=138484

Bulldozer is a doozer of a chip as I am still confused how that thing will run. When AMD advertises physical cores, they are talking about integer cores as the Interlagos 16 cores will feature 8 BD modules. Each module features 2 integer cores that share everything else including cache and a 256bit FPU.

I am curious with all of this sharing going on, how big of an increase in folding we can expect if folding is very FPU intensive.

Bulldozer is a doozer of a chip as I am still confused how that thing will run. When AMD advertises physical cores, they are talking about integer cores as the Interlagos 16 cores will feature 8 BD modules. Each module features 2 integer cores that share everything else including cache and a 256bit FPU.

I am curious with all of this sharing going on, how big of an increase in folding we can expect if folding is very FPU intensive.
The FP stuff is still a little confusing, but it seems to me like it should work fine because the FPU can split to process instructions from each thread on the module (from my understanding). Either way we'll find out when it releases. Perhaps someone should see if they can load up the FAH bench on the 16th?

The FP stuff is still a little confusing, but it seems to me like it should work fine because the FPU can split to process instructions from each thread on the module (from my understanding). Either way we'll find out when it releases. Perhaps someone should see if they can load up the FAH bench on the 16th?

Actually, I seriously hope that one of you guys will be attending the HardOCP AMD GamExperience over in downtown Dallas. I was planning on going, but got a summons for jury duty starting that week. If one of you guys can sneak it while Kyle isn't watching, maybe you can load up Musky's F@H benchmarking utility and give us a sneak preview. Just sign up for the gaming tourney and close the game. Just pretend like you are fragging someone by continously moving the mouse around, but secretly load the benchmark :) :p

I live in Indiana and will be driving to Seattle starting on the 15th so that's a no go.

I live in Indiana and will be driving to Seattle starting on the 15th so that's a no go.

Well Dallas should be roughly 13-15 hours from you so maybe you could swing by? Have fun driving across the Cascades! I hear the scenery is gorgeous.

Oh oops I just caught that now. I meant to say doozy of a chip and ended up typing in doozer. Whatever wierd thing AMD ends up doing, I just hope that it is going to be better than what the rumors are showing us. Low IPC isn't bad at least for folding if clock speeds and physical cores can make up for it.

Actually, I seriously hope that one of you guys will be attending the HardOCP AMD GamExperience over in downtown Dallas. I was planning on going, but got a summons for jury duty starting that week. If one of you guys can sneak it while Kyle isn't watching, maybe you can load up Musky's F@H benchmarking utility and give us a sneak preview. Just sign up for the gaming tourney and close the game. Just pretend like you are fragging someone by continously moving the mouse around, but secretly load the benchmark :) :p
Yes!

Nice, are you moving to the area? There's a decent sized [H]ardforum community out here.

Yes!

Nice, are you moving to the area? There's a decent sized [H]ardforum community out here.

rilly?

I'm in Tacoma

also...dropped my first wu in for the [H]orde last update...go team

rilly?

I'm in Tacoma

also...dropped my first wu in for the [H]orde last update...go team

Yeah I've done local fs/ft's twice since moving out here last August. I'm up in Edmonds myself, we should get a [H] meetup going at one of the festivals or events in the area.

And again, welcome to the team.

I think bulldozer will be a hit with folding... Just look at magny-cours... Interlagos will have 8 256 bit FP units each capable of 1 256bit instructions per clock, 2 128bit instructions per clock, 4 64bit per clock, or 8 32 bit per clock... That sounds like a beast to me. So just times those numbers by 8 and then by the clock speed and that will be close to the through-put of an interlagos chip. (obviously things dont work out so cleanly in the real world, but that will give a good indicator).

6years ago, I couldn't find anyone around Puget Sound.... now........... sheesh.
Beautiful area up there..... and it's a tad cooler in the summer and a tad warmer in the winter

Tho now that I've made it to upstate NY I've found at least one now.

6years ago, I couldn't find anyone around Puget Sound.... now........... sheesh.
Beautiful area up there..... and it's a tad cooler in the summer and a tad warmer in the winter

Tho now that I've made it to upstate NY I've found at least one now.

Heh, and I'm from upstate NY...wayyyy upstate.

The weather in the Puget sound is much more conducive to folding however, although it hit 80 today and I feel like I'm melting in the office...

Amazing how quickly you get spoiled. :p

Heh, and I'm from upstate NY...wayyyy upstate.

The weather in the Puget sound is much more conducive to folding however, although it hit 80 today and I feel like I'm melting in the office...

Amazing how quickly you get spoiled. :p

Just wait till we have another strong El-nino year and watch what happens to the temps over there :p :eek:

Well it hasn't lastest long. The -bigadv points realignment has made them pull ahead again:(

Anyone know where Apollo has been lately? It would be nice to have him back as I know that he would probably be thrilled to see us actually being competitive with that other team again.

I think Apollo is back folding as he is clocking up some decent pointage, however I have yet to see him post

Hey, guys, when we/you (the [H]orde) are within a couple weeks of the overtake, let me know and I'll pile on. I've got close to 500K/PPD right now, which will be about 1M/PPD within 3 or 4 weeks. I'm an 11-year Folder and 6.5-year [H] forums member, but I'm on another team. But yeah, someone PM me when we are close, and I'll gladly help us over the top.

Back