eVga NF4SLi motherboard free w/ 7800gt($450) or 7800gtx($550)

headless said:
What heatsink/fan you gonna be using? Note the board has issues with mounting the XP-120 bracket and you'll need some replacement nuts+bolts to hold it on...

Let me know if your board will do 1T please :)

Dangerden TDX waterblock :) and it better do 1T with my mushkin redline lol

Nettwerk said:
Dangerden TDX waterblock :) and it better do 1T with my mushkin redline lol

yeah, my XMS 2-2-2-5-1T (ran at those settings @ 225mhz on my a8v) is unable to post at all in this board at 1T, even with it set to run @ 100mhz at the highest CAS settings possible, and even though my a8v was only capable of 2.8v and i'm pushing 2.85 now - haven't tried 3v yet. Wonder if it'd fry my xms...

Mobo throws up the long beeps :(. I'll be interested to hear your results :)

GOD DAMNIT! That deal is gone, and I really needed that combo. Does anyone know when.. if at all, it's coming back, or of some other alternative to this deal!!

headless said:
yeah, my XMS 2-2-2-5-1T (ran at those settings @ 225mhz on my a8v) is unable to post at all in this board at 1T, even with it set to run @ 100mhz at the highest CAS settings possible, and even though my a8v was only capable of 2.8v and i'm pushing 2.85 now - haven't tried 3v yet. Wonder if it'd fry my xms...

Mobo throws up the long beeps :(. I'll be interested to hear your results :)

Ahh I see what you were saying about the bracket hold down now.. its a stupid plastic push rod thing.. I have to mount this the hard way with a bolt in the back.. I gotta find my soldergun so I can weld the bolt to the long screw so the bolt doesnt screw and fall off while the mobo is installed heh.

There is no combo option on the newegg one anymore. I set myself up to be notified on it from eVGA though.

Nettwerk said:
Ahh I see what you were saying about the bracket hold down now.. its a stupid plastic push rod thing.. I have to mount this the hard way with a bolt in the back.. I gotta find my soldergun so I can weld the bolt to the long screw so the bolt doesnt screw and fall off while the mobo is installed heh.

Yep. Kinda funny that the feature that makes it easier to take off (lol) makes it harder to put another one on... I wouldn't bother soldering it on though; get some nylon locknuts and you're good to go. Or drop a smalllll dab of loctite threadlocker in there. Or CA glue.

I didn't use any glue, just tightened them reasonably and used locknuts.

headless said:
Yep. Kinda funny that the feature that makes it easier to take off (lol) makes it harder to put another one on... I wouldn't bother soldering it on though; get some nylon locknuts and you're good to go. Or drop a smalllll dab of loctite threadlocker in there. Or CA glue.

I didn't use any glue, just tightened them reasonably and used locknuts.

my xp-90 xame with a backplate and 2 side mount screws to secure it to the motherboard... This might work better and easier.

edit:
Yup it will work great cause the side bolts are not real tall and the inside threads match :)

http://home.houston.rr.com/nettwerk/Pictures/mount.JPG

Awesome. My XP-120 didn't come with a backplate OR wires to allow 'tall' 120mm fans to fit on it. I wonder if i got a dud :(

headless said:
Awesome. My XP-120 didn't come with a backplate OR wires to allow 'tall' 120mm fans to fit on it. I wonder if i got a dud :(

Hey I got everything hooked up except I dont have the cpu set in or the graphics card installed. I switched on the power and everything came alive except I didnt hear any beeps and there is a FF displayed on the error code display.. shouldnt I hear beeps or something? And the ATX case button hookups are hard to follow in the manual.. :(

headless said:
Well guys, i got my combo today and got the new mobo and 3200+ CPU installed. The XP-120 does fit on this mobo, but theheatsink bracket that comes on the board will not fit the xp-120; you'll need to attach the xp-120's. This is no big deal normally but because of a 'quick release' system they have on the existing bracket, there's no way to attach the xp-120's bracket!

I just set up my board last night, and all I did was take the plastic underside thing from my old Mobo (Abit AV8) and move it to this Mobo. Problem solved, and this quick-release system will work on the old board so I can still use that if I get another CPU in the future.

Finally got everything installed and went to put on my 120mm fan. WHAT THE FUCK. The damn wire brackets with the xp120 won't fit it -- they are too short (or the 120 is too tall). I knew the 120 was a tall one (i wanted one with reasonable airflow) when i bought it but remembered how my XP-90 (which is still here on my old mobo) had different types of wire-clips for different heights of fans. Apparently the fuckers didn't feel like doing the same thing for the XP-120. So, the fuckin fan is taped (yep) to the heatsink for now.

There are actually 2 sets of holes in the XP120 for the wire bracket and if you put them in the lower ones then you will have this issue (which is what I initially did). Try moving the brackets to the upper holes (Near the upper heatpipes on the sides instead of the lower ones) and your problem should be solved.

Anyone know if it's preferable for it to blow down on the sink or suck up off of it?

Blow down is better.

arentol said:
I just set up my board last night, and all I did was take the plastic underside thing from my old Mobo (Abit AV8) and move it to this Mobo. Problem solved, and this quick-release system will work on the old board so I can still use that if I get another CPU in the future.

I didn't have this option as my old mobo/cpu/vid card is being put in another case tommorrow ;) Needed to keep my other heatsink on it

arentol said:
There are actually 2 sets of holes in the XP120 for the wire bracket and if you put them in the lower ones then you will have this issue (which is what I initially did). Try moving the brackets to the upper holes (Near the upper heatpipes on the sides instead of the lower ones) and your problem should be solved.

I did see both sets of holes, and even with the wires in the upper holes the clips are waaaaay too short. My 120mm fan is 38mm tall; how tall is your 120mm that does fit?

arentol said:
Blow down is better.

Roger that, i'll change it ;) Wish i could get some temperature readings...
Are your temp readings working? Which program are you using?

Nettwerk said:
Hey I got everything hooked up except I dont have the cpu set in or the graphics card installed. I switched on the power and everything came alive except I didnt hear any beeps and there is a FF displayed on the error code display.. shouldnt I hear beeps or something? And the ATX case button hookups are hard to follow in the manual.. :(

FF is 'boot' -- it's probably pissed you don't have a CPU in there... my mobo sits on FF when it fails to post (as i described earlier with my problems of having to cold boot to get her to come up)...take a look at appendix 1 in your manual, it tells you what all the codes are. Fuckin cool stuff, IMO. You might hear beeps if your speaker is plugged into the SPKR header on the mobo but honestly it might just be silent if there's no CPU at all hehe..dunno

I found the ATX hookups way easier than my last mobo (a8v) -- the speaker and power led (i think it's pwoer led) are in their own block. The other block is easy to get lined up if you turn the manual sideways -- use the missing pin to see which way you are oriented. Make sure you're facing the board in the same direction you're reading the manual and that missing pin makes it pretty easy :)

headless said:
FF is 'boot' -- it's probably pissed you don't have a CPU in there... my mobo sits on FF when it fails to post (as i described earlier with my problems of having to cold boot to get her to come up)...take a look at appendix 1 in your manual, it tells you what all the codes are. Fuckin cool stuff, IMO. You might hear beeps if your speaker is plugged into the SPKR header on the mobo but honestly it might just be silent if there's no CPU at all hehe..dunno

I found the ATX hookups way easier than my last mobo (a8v) -- the speaker and power led (i think it's pwoer led) are in their own block. The other block is easy to get lined up if you turn the manual sideways -- use the missing pin to see which way you are oriented. Make sure you're facing the board in the same direction you're reading the manual and that missing pin makes it pretty easy :)

Yea its prolly pissed there is no cpu installed lol.. I didnt get where the speaker and powerled was supposed to go untill I stuck my head in the case and it is written beside it and it shows on the pdf motherboard manual on the cdrom.

Yeah, i was joyful to see silkscreen on the mobo as WELL as the diagram in the manual. I never can find the damn manual later when i need it, LOL

headless said:

I just threw together a rig with the EVGA board. It is installing windows now, working fine. And it also says FF...so I dont think that is keeping it from working.

Great stuff, qbackin. Let me know if you can read temperatures + voltages in windows please. I'm wondering if my board is damaged or if this is just how it is.. even ntune won't show my CPU temp (?!wtf!?)

Oh damn, i forgot -- qBackin -- are you running your RAM at 1t? My board won't even POST @ 1T so i am curious to know if anyone else's does... if i have a dud, i'm gonna send it back and try to get an A8N ;)

Well, i'm now up to 2700mhz -- prime95 ran 15 hours @ 255x10 and was dead stable. I kicked it up to 2660 and it was stable for 2 hours of prime, so now i'm at 276*10 = 2762mhz and am going to let prime95 run overnight at this setting. It's been going for 15 minutes now without erroring out -- i'm getting excited ;) I'm hoping to get this puppy to 2.8ghz!

I played some cs:source today and was just flabbergasted, this setup is amazing. All settings on high @ 10x7, 6xAA, 16x anis. Just amazing performance; i rarely see it drop under 50fps and then only for split seconds.

Got an error @ 2762*10 -- realised my HT was @ 800 setting which was 50mhz over it's rating, lowered it to the next lower setting, upped voltage .5v (at 1.5v now.) and am now testing @ 2753. It's been going 20 minutes (last one errored out in 4 minutes) so i'm optimistic. My goal is 2800. It's in sight! Would be very nice for a free mobo. I'm impressed by these venice chips -- if this hits 2.8ghz we'd be talking over 30$ more in raw clockcycles than it's sold for.

edit: 2785 now....gonna leave this overnight.

Cool, thanks nettwerk -- i'll give that a try. Prime95 errored out after 9 hours (damn! hehe) @ 2785. I just dropped it to 2762 and am going to see if that is stable.

Amusingly, it's prime stable now, 10 hours -- @ 2773 :) Just set my voltage .5 higher, it's at 1.55now.
:)

headless said:
Oh damn, i forgot -- qBackin -- are you running your RAM at 1t? My board won't even POST @ 1T so i am curious to know if anyone else's does... if i have a dud, i'm gonna send it back and try to get an A8N ;)

My TCCD runs fine at 1T 2-2-2-5. And yeah the voltage readings are fvcked. Cpuz doesnt even register. Probably a new bios rev soon.

Where are the locks? I see the 100...but 33.33??

Zipzoomfly is running the GTX deal. I ordered it last night. Also, according to the links on ZZF you get the free Battlefield 2 as well.

I also grabbed this deal and put together a new system w/ the GF7800 GT and EVGA mobo. All I can say is "Wow!" I can't believe what I was missing in BF2 w/ my old GF6800 and socket 754 setup. Butter, baby, butter! :) No errors, no funkyness, it all installed well and it looks pretty sweet. I'll try some o/c-ing later and post back. Awesome deal!!

Put water in my system and fired it up and up came the EVGA logo and went directly to the bios to set mem at 1T and it doesnt post but just beeps and farts so lets see how long this system is gonna stay on my workbench waiting on a new bios this time :rolleyes:

The 7800GT was put in my main rig (DFI ultra-d, 4000SD, w/ced) and it kicks major ass. with the waterblock it idles at 36c and got it clocked up to 497/1.18 lol. Im burning it in testing it for artificact errors right now.

Well, looks like the 1t issue isn't unique to my board :( God only knows how often they release updates...arr. I think i may call up evga if i can find a # and bitch. *shrug*

I wonder if newegg would consider this reason for a replacement/refund. "board will not post @ 1t under any conditions"...hm.

My final stable O/C was 2765 -- stable 10+ hours prime, and gamed on it all weekend (about 15 hours of gaming). Yay! My RAM is running 2-3-2-5-2T @ around 230mhz

Frames in CS:S are excessive; i'm running @ 1024x768x75hz (old monitor, new coming today! 21" hehe), every setting in CS @ max w/ trans aa set to Multisampling. 6xaa/16x anis and it's beating out my old 6800 setup by 20-30fps whereas my 6800 was @ 2xaa, 8x anis...lol

If only i could get my RAM to 1t :(

hahahah I fixed the 1T issue I think :D

EVGA has it marked as DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 is dual channel but I tried to switch it to 1T using this setup and it just beeps and so.. So I move a stick of ram to DIMM 3 (blue/blue) and it boots 1T and says dual channel when booting :D

Those bastards. You know, i thought about that but didn't swap them. Grrr. :-P

Did you find a way to disable the damn eVGA logo screen @ boot? I can't see any of the POST messages because of the freakin logo... so i couldn't even check to see if it was saying dual channel or not :(

Wait wait, so they misprinted that 1+2 and 3+4 are DDR, but its actually 1+3 and 2+4 (like normal mobos)?!

If thats true, they are just plain silly!

headless said:
I did see both sets of holes, and even with the wires in the upper holes the clips are waaaaay too short. My 120mm fan is 38mm tall; how tall is your 120mm that does fit?

My 120 is 38mm tall as well. However, that is 100% irrelevant because I clip into the bottom holes on the fan, as you are supposed to. The only reason that shouldn't work is if you have one of those fans with solid corners (like a long tube going from the top to the bottom in the corners instead of just holes for screws at each corner). If you have that kind of fan you either need to buy another fan, swap the fan with one of your 120mm case fans (if you have one) or use a dremel to cut those cornersin such a way as they have the proper holes in the proper locations.

Personally I would dremel it myself since I already have a dremel and blades handy.

Syncade said:
Wait wait, so they misprinted that 1+2 and 3+4 are DDR, but its actually 1+3 and 2+4 (like normal mobos)?!

If thats true, they are just plain silly!

correct 1+3 and 2+4 dual channel

arentol said:
My 120 is 38mm tall as well. However, that is 100% irrelevant because I clip into the bottom holes on the fan, as you are supposed to. The only reason that shouldn't work is if you have one of those fans with solid corners (like a long tube going from the top to the bottom in the corners instead of just holes for screws at each corner). If you have that kind of fan you either need to buy another fan, swap the fan with one of your 120mm case fans (if you have one) or use a dremel to cut those cornersin such a way as they have the proper holes in the proper locations.

Personally I would dremel it myself since I already have a dremel and blades handy.

Ah HA! That is indeed the case; i have a thermaltake fan that is solid-cornered. I'll pull out the dremel. Thanks for the info :)

Just bit the bullit and ordered this combo today. Looking to slap a 3200 Vience into it on my vaporchill setup. Should be fun ;P. Anyone know if the mounting holes for the 78xx series HS/Fan is the same? Need to get my waterblock and TEC on that GPU too :).

Evil Scooter said:
Just bit the bullit and ordered this combo today. Looking to slap a 3200 Vience into it on my vaporchill setup. Should be fun ;P. Anyone know if the mounting holes for the 78xx series HS/Fan is the same? Need to get my waterblock and TEC on that GPU too :).

Yea the mount is the same as the 6800 cards.

Back