EVGA giving away GTX 680 high flow brackets

Response from EVGA:

Hello,

The GTX 680 High-Flow bracket should be available for purchase later today. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Horse$hit

I bought a vanilla 570 when they first launched...then I noticed when I picked up my second 570, it already came with....and I read around, others reporting the 570 already came with the HF bracket.

why can't evga just put them on all cards! make them stand out from the rest!

I've read stories about eVGA sneaking in upgrades, sometimes even upgrades to SC versions, and people being surprised by it. I suspect they only do that when it's their only choice to keep inventory flowing.

They should just put these on them from the factory.

I thought they already said they are going to make it the standard going forward? The probably either didn't have the brackets/cards available in time, or couldn't mod the reference cards due to some agreement with Nvidia.

I thought they already said they are going to make it the standard going forward? The probably either didn't have the brackets/cards available in time, or couldn't mod the reference cards due to some agreement with Nvidia.

This x 1,000. Even if its not true, and this whole operation is just a cash grab, who cares? Everyone who ordered an Evga card got exactly what they ordered. A few people got an extra freebie. I don't see the problem here...

Then they ought to man-up and send everyone who bought one of their cards the proper bracket free of charge, if the customer so desires. This is pretty shitty for a 500 dollar GPU.
What does the bracket cost them? A dollar?

I AM impressed by the new Global Warranty though.
Warranty the product, not the owner. Great for resale, register only if you want the step-up program. Standard Cross-shipping is free!!
EVGA stepped up where XFX got off the bus. Cudos to EVGA.

Last edited:
This x 1,000. Even if its not true, and this whole operation is just a cash grab, who cares? Everyone who ordered an Evga card got exactly what they ordered. A few people got an extra freebie. I don't see the problem here...

I don't have a problem with it either. I look at it as a bonus for people who paid for overnight/2nd day shipping and people who live in Cali (who had to pay sales tax on most of their tech gear). It would be nice if they didn't gouge on the brackets though, $10 + shipping for a piece of stamped metal?

I don't have a problem with it either. I look at it as a bonus for people who paid for overnight/2nd day shipping and people who live in Cali (who had to pay sales tax on most of their tech gear). It would be nice if they didn't gouge on the brackets though, $10 + shipping for a piece of stamped metal?

The price gouging sucks, but hey, you still don't have to buy it.

As far as paying sales tax goes, I don't feel so bad for California in that regard. What about is poor suckers in NY? I'm surprised I don't have to pay a "fresh air" tax for walking out my front door :D

Then they ought to man-up and send everyone who bought one of their cards the proper bracket free of charge, if the customer so desires. This is pretty shitty for a 500 dollar GPU.
What does the bracket cost them? A dollar?

Why should they? You got what you paid for, which was a reference card. If they re-design the card going forward, that should have no impact on your purchase.

Why should they? You got what you paid for, which was a reference card. If they re-design the card going forward, that should have no impact on your purchase.

They didn't redesign shit.
The stock cooler remains the same, EVGA didn't put the thing together quick enough and now wants to make it look like they are doing everybody (well......200 people) a favor.

Its a bullshit tactic......and since all the cool kids now have one, others will have to pay 10 dollars plus shipping to have one.:eek:

I bought two since they were out of the free ones. 3* C lower temps sounds good to me. Grabbed back plates too.

If Nvidia wanted the bracket to be there it would have been for all reference designs. This is nothing new, EVGA offered this in the past with the 480's except this time they included free shipping.

I like getting something for free. The rest can pay for my free one :eek:

Last edited:
The stock cooler remains the same, EVGA didn't put the thing together quick enough and now wants to make it look like they are doing everybody (well......200 people) a favor.

Its a bullshit tactic......and since all the cool kids now have one, others will have to pay 10 dollars plus shipping to have one.:eek:

No you don't. You have the exact same card as everyone else who bought one on day one, from any manufacturer. If you want to mod the card with a new bracket, feel free to do so, or don't, but that's up to you. Evga offering a few for free isn't costing you anything.

So has anyone received a shipping notification or tracking number or anything for this? I got the confirmation email but nothing else.

Edit: This is all it said.

Thank you for registering your EVGA GTX 680 and requesting your free High Flow Bracket! You will receive an email soon with details on when it will ship.

EVGA

It has the same bracket that every other manufacturer on the market has. They didn't have to give anybody the bracket. So yes they are "doing everybody a favor." The initial run probably did not come with it because it was not read in time. Heck it still isn't ready considering it hasn't shipped for anybody yet. I swear some people think every time a company comes out with something better it should be given to them for free. Hate to break it to you, but that isn't the way the electronic world works. Welcome to reality.

So has anyone received a shipping notification or tracking number or anything for this? I got the confirmation email but nothing else.

Edit: This is all it said.

That is all I have gotten as well. I am guessing they aren't ready yet.

nVidia made all of the initial 680s. The AIB partners like EVGA only put their stickers on them.
These 680s are all the same and share the stock bracket design.

Now next month when nVidia lets the AIB partners get creative, EVGA will not only offer the HF bracket stock, but also the backplate on the 4GB FTW and Classified models.

It has the same bracket that every other manufacturer on the market has. They didn't have to give anybody the bracket. So yes they are "doing everybody a favor." The initial run probably did not come with it because it was not read in time. Heck it still isn't ready considering it hasn't shipped for anybody yet. I swear some people think every time a company comes out with something better it should be given to them for free. Hate to break it to you, but that isn't the way the electronic world works. Welcome to reality.

I live in the real world everyday. The reality of the situation is, evga should have left well enough alone and simply added this upgrade in when they released their versions.

To offer an improvement to just a handful of customers is poor form, period. But I understand the marketing ploy completely. Would I treat my customers like that? No.

When your Chevrolet is recalled for a part upgrade, does GM only limit the upgrade or repair to the first 200 customers?

I live in the real world everyday. The reality of the situation is, evga should have left well enough alone and simply added this upgrade in when they released their versions.

To offer an improvement to just a handful of customers is poor form, period. But I understand the marketing ploy completely. Would I treat my customers like that? No.

When your Chevrolet is recalled for a part upgrade, does GM only limit the upgrade or repair to the first 200 customers?

You example is a world of difference. When a car is recalled for a part upgrade, it means something is broken that needs to be fixed. That is not the case here. Nothing is broken. You got one-hundred fucking percent exactly what you ordered. If you bought an Evga card, it should not, in any conceivable way, fail to meet your expectations. If you bought a Chevy, and a week later a new version comes out with a stupid useless spoiler on the back, at no additional cost.... do you think for a second Chevy is going to go ahead and give you your spoiler for free because it should have been there from the start? Fuck no... (I realize things like this don't really happen in the automotive world, but it's at least an analogy on par with this situation).

It boggles my mind the way people are handling this. The argument that they should have put them on in the first place was directly addressed in the post you were quoting. Nothing even says these brackets were ready in time to put on the launch cards. Hell, they may still not be ready... no one has gotten a shipping confirmation. Should evga not have participated in the GPU's launch over a stupid ass bracket?

Seriously... Evga should have just not even bothered giving away anything if this is the sort of reaction they are going to get.

Last edited:
Mine shipped today according to the promotions portion of my GTX 680 EVGA profile.

You example is a world of difference. When a car is recalled for a part upgrade, it means something is broken that needs to be fixed. That is not the case here. Nothing is broken. You got one-hundred fucking percent exactly what you ordered. If you bought an Evga card, it should not, in any conceivable way, fail to meet your expectations.

It boggles my mind the way people are handling this. The argument that they should have put them on in the first place was directly addressed in the post you were quoting. Nothing even says these brackets were ready in time to put on the launch cards. Hell, they may still not be ready... no one has gotten a shipping confirmation. Should evga not have participated in the GPU's launch over a stupid ass bracket?

Seriously... Evga should have just not even bothered giving away anything if this is the sort of reaction they are going to get.

Understood, bad example, I agree.

But.........why even make this bracket and then give it to only 200 customers, when most likely several thousand copies of the GPU were sold?
It just slaps #201 directly in the face. If the plan was to mount this braket for launch and evga FUBAR'd it, make it right and give all the reference customers one to replace what's there.

To me the gesture would seem MUCH more positive if you made the thing available to each and every customer who bought a reference 680 and registered it.

I could care less, I don't own a 680, but I'd be pissed if I was on the short end of that deal.

Last edited:

But.........why even make this bracket and then give it to only 200 customers, when most likely several thousand copies of the GPU were sold?
It just slaps #201 directly in the face. If the plan was to mount this braket for launch and evga FUBAR'd it, make it right and give all the reference customers one to replace what's there.

To me the gesture would seem MUCH more positive if you made the thing available to each and every customer who bought a reference 680 and registered it.

I could care less, I don't own a 680, but I'd be pissed if I was on the short end of that deal.

Ehhh, I still don't agree. Sucks for #201, sure, but how is that different than any other giveaway where you miss it by one spot? That's just the way it is.

My assumption is that Evgas intention was never to put these on their reference cards. Once they start pumping out their own products, they will no doubt use these. If they happen to fit the reference card too, great. I say it was nice of Evga to give a few out for free. They should have absolutely no obligation to retrofit every card sold, just because the bracket fits. If they want to sell it at a high price, that's up to them. Don't like it, don't buy it. You're still no worse off, and still don't have anything less than what you expected at the time of purchase.

If they put a big sticker on the front of the box that said "FREE HIGH FLOW BRACKET!!!" and then in fine print on the back of the card said "Limited to the first 200 people to register with Evga"... that would be a huge bitch move. But they didn't promise anyone anything, so they owe don't anyone either.

Ehhh, I still don't agree. Sucks for #201, sure, but how is that different than any other giveaway where you miss it by one spot? That's just the way it is.

My assumption is that Evgas intention was never to put these on their reference cards. Once they start pumping out their own products, they will no doubt use these. If they happen to fit the reference card too, great. I say it was nice of Evga to give a few out for free. They should have absolutely no obligation to retrofit every card sold, just because the bracket fits. If they want to sell it at a high price, that's up to them. Don't like it, don't buy it. You're still no worse off, and still don't have anything less than what you expected at the time of purchase.

If they put a big sticker on the front of the box that said "FREE HIGH FLOW BRACKET!!!" and then in fine print on the back of the card said "Limited to the first 200 people to register with Evga"... that would be a huge bitch move. But they didn't promise anyone anything, so they owe don't anyone either.

Yeah, I agree.
It just put a burr in my butt I guess.

I completely understand the logic and gesture by EVGA, but it still is kinda stinky.

Especially "knowing" that as soon as the first batch of reference cards is sold and delivered, the next group will very likely all have this bracket.
But the same holds true for improvements made on AMD AIB cards, like the MSI Frozor brand.

I just got in a bad mood about this I guess.:D

The first batch of cards is controlled by nVidia, not the AIB partners.
No AIB partner was allowed to alter the card from factory specs for launch.

Should EVGA held back the cards until April to fit all of their cards for a bracket, while other AIB partners enjoy first day sales?

Check your EVGA profile, there should be a notice listed under the promotions portion of your GTX 680 if the bracket was shipped.

I swear I was #201. I even asked customer support to make an exception, shoot one to me, I just dropped $500 and was a returning customer to boot. As others mentioned, it cost them $1 at most and increases my epeen by at least $2.

Dude, it's a $9.99 bracket. Sure, it sucks that I didn't get the brackets for free, but the first 200 people are probably those who overnighted or 2 day'd the cards, and their shipping costs versus mine were likely more than the costs of the brackets, so who cares? I've spent $2000 on EVGA GPUs in the last 20 months, another $20 for two high flow brackets isn't killing my bank account.

Check your EVGA profile, there should be a notice listed under the promotions portion of your GTX 680 if the bracket was shipped.

Thanks for posting this, never thought to check here -- just figured I missed the 200 person cut off but it says the bracket was shipped today.

Pretty crappy that they haven't shut the promo site down now that they're done giving them away. I guess anything to get people to register.

Dude, it's a $9.99 bracket. I've spent $2000 on EVGA GPUs in the last 20 months, another $20 for two high flow brackets isn't killing my bank account.

Exactly the logic EVGA likes, instead of rewarding you, a loyal customer......stick you for another 20 bucks.:eek:

Pretty crappy that they haven't shut the promo site down now that they're done giving them away. I guess anything to get people to register.

They enjoy rubbing it in I guess, or patting themselves on the back for giving away a whole 200 brackets.:rolleyes:

Exactly the logic EVGA likes, instead of rewarding you, a loyal customer......stick you for another 20 bucks.:eek:

They enjoy rubbing it in I guess, or patting themselves on the back for giving away a whole 200 brackets.:rolleyes:
Were there any other manufacturers selling GTX 680s on launch day with high flow brackets? No. I don't even think any other manufacturers are selling them, period. So it's not like I can take my money elsewhere, even if I disagree. My point is that it's such a small amount of money, I'm not going to let me myself get all worked up over it.

Were there any other manufacturers selling GTX 680s on launch day with high flow brackets? No. I don't even think any other manufacturers are selling them, period. So it's not like I can take my money elsewhere, even if I disagree. My point is that it's such a small amount of money, I'm not going to let me myself get all worked up over it.

Yeah, but they could have easily turned this around and made it a selling point for their cards in a competitive field that's basically as flat as Kansas with launch reference cards. Give people that one little extra reason to wait until they see an EVGA card instead of the Zotac that popped into stock at NE.

Limit the promo based on time, not quantity. Offer the brackets for free for any that buy them for the first month or two - or until the non-reference cards come out. Guarantee these things are <<a buck for them to make, and with delivery services bulk agreements, I'm sure it costs them next to nothing to ship such a small part. The whole deal would cost them almost nothing, and stand to gain them additional business and good will. While not as friendly to the immediate bottom line, the latter is probably more important than the former.

Back