Everex XT5000T Support thread

I upgraded Realtek from their own site and you can try using different GO drivers, but I still use the one on Everex site.

Are you sure you don't have some evil crap on your system? My guess is Everex is done with drivers, the unit is discontinued. Are you hitting the throttle temp?

how do i tell if im hitting the throttle temp? I don't see how I would be...im not gaming on it right now or anything.

What do you mean by evil crap...spyware/virus? Ill run a scan to make sure. Where do i get different GO drivers?

how do i tell if im hitting the throttle temp? I don't see how I would be...im not gaming on it right now or anything.

What do you mean by evil crap...spyware/virus? Ill run a scan to make sure. Where do i get different GO drivers?

Yeah, it sounds like something is running the background sucking up CPU cycles. When things are running slow open the task manager and look for something that's using a high % of processor usage.

Newer video drivers are available thru Windows Update. They are significantly better than the ones from Everex.

Yeah, it sounds like something is running the background sucking up CPU cycles. When things are running slow open the task manager and look for something that's using a high % of processor usage.

Newer video drivers are available thru Windows Update. They are significantly better than the ones from Everex.

What does "Newer video drivers are available thru Windows Update" mean ... actually?:confused:

What does "Newer video drivers are available thru Windows Update" mean ... actually?:confused:

Um... it means that if you go to Windows Update there should be video drivers available that are much newer than the ones supplied by Everex. Not sure how to make that any more clear than that.

LOL I have to say that I have never used windows update to find a video driver. I don't use Windows Update for anything, truth be told. I can't imagine it updating a GO driver, how does it handle the inf file problem? But if you say so. I'm always willing to learn "new" things:D:D:D

In case Nitaant can't get Windows Update to do the job, he can always go to
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

This quickly tells you how to install the driver:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=1533635&postcount=1

or
http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia.php

or
http://www.tweakforce.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=163&Itemid=41/

LOL I have to say that I have never used windows update to find a video driver. I don't use Windows Update for anything, truth be told. I can't imagine it updating a GO driver, how does it handle the inf file problem? But if you say so. I'm always willing to learn "new" things:D:D:D

In case Nitaant can't get Windows Update to do the job, he can always go to

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

or

http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia.php

Yeah, this is quite the unusual circumstance. Nvidia released a driver for Vista, made it compatible with the Go series and made it available only thru Windows Update. No modding or hacking necessary. I don't typically use drivers from WU either, but this one is an exception.

Not that there is anything wrong with the modded drivers from either of the two sites you posted, I use them frequently as well. I was just pointing out that an official Go driver from Nvidia is available thru Windows Update.

Ive been getting video driver crashes everyday. "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

happy new year everyone!

just want to confirm that we can't use any linux os on this lappy?
I tried the live cd of Ubuntu but it took ages and had a crapload of memory errors so I shut it down :confused:

happy new year everyone!

just want to confirm that we can't use any linux os on this lappy?
I tried the live cd of Ubuntu but it took ages and had a crapload of memory errors so I shut it down :confused:

That's extremely unusual. I use Ubuntu (7.10, and before that 7.04) daily on the XT5000, never had a problem with it. Maybe you really do have a hardware problem.

Hi,
Just got the brick yesterday and testing it out. Tried a charge from under 10% but I think I over heated the battery with Prime95 and my TL-64. So far other than charging it works perfect even though rating is 19v compared to the stock 20v.

I retested charge from 90-100% and that went fine, I am now low stress level bringing the battery to 10% and I'll try charging again with the new brick. at 33% left now just cruising the web and running 2.00 Ghz with RMClock.

When I get back to NJ, where I live, I'll tryout the wireless and see if this helps at all. Please remember though I have the TL-64 90nm, Raid0 and 2x160 gig SATA II drives and now 2x2 Gig pc-6400 memory so this is one power hungry machine.

EDIT:
Went from 6% to 100% charge on it's own with the system running and the new brick. So at least for me the 180w brick works perfectly........

Dunno, I stuck with the 32-bit version. I have no compelling reason to switch to 64-bit - yes, even in Linux more software creates problems in its 64-bit incarnation than 32-bit. I can easily see at least 2 drivers prone to issues - video and wireless, the same ones that many ppl have problems with in the Windows world. They're both proprietary, and who knows how well their respective companies know how to play with an 64-bit OS...

Good and bad news here. I just got home and plugged in with the new 180w brick. To test it out for 3 minutes on high I ran my microwave which is a sure and instant crash with the old brick.

The bad new is right at the end of the 3 minutes there was a lock up.

The good news is it took that long. for those 3 minutes I was clicking as many shortcuts as I could to load pages While I could see there was a problem with speed in the connection and the system was strugling it was loading pages. This rather than a lock up or connection freeze followed by a lock up.

I am sure there is some power line noise too. So next step may be a small UPS. For now though it shows the system may be much more stable under nomal use and may much more rarely, if ever, encounter an issue. The fruit will be in the long term usage. It does show though providing better power seems to decrease the probability of the wireless from just giving up and taking the video with it.

Yeah, this is quite the unusual circumstance. Nvidia released a driver for Vista, made it compatible with the Go series and made it available only thru Windows Update. No modding or hacking necessary. I don't typically use drivers from WU either, but this one is an exception.

Not that there is anything wrong with the modded drivers from either of the two sites you posted, I use them frequently as well. I was just pointing out that an official Go driver from Nvidia is available thru Windows Update.

hi, i just want to know if have any link for the best video drivers that could fit the XT... i am having problems with my actual drivers ... it lags when playing a simple game like counter strike 1.7 and that really sucks...

hi, i just want to know if have any link for the best video drivers that could fit the XT... i am having problems with my actual drivers ... it lags when playing a simple game like counter strike 1.7 and that really sucks...
This has been said before but be sure your "lagging" is not due to throttling. Drivers will not help if that is the case. If throttling you will have to run RMClock and under volt the 8x. You need to keep the temp from reaching throttling levels.

This has been said before but be sure your "lagging" is not due to throttling. Drivers will not help if that is the case. If throttling you will have to run RMClock and under volt the 8x. You need to keep the temp from reaching throttling levels.

hey, thanks for the quick reply.... i installed the rmclock and notice that its not throttling cuz my temps are on 50s 60s C.... could it be cuz of the keyboard? i read before that we can only use up to two buttons at the time? my problem is taht when playing FPS games ...eg im flanking right, then i stop pressing right and in the game it still moves right for around 2-3 secs... so i get killed all the time...
i am not sure if its the video drivers or keyboeard... im discarding the throttling problems cuz my temps are low.... :confused:

Don't know about the keyboard thing (only read it is problem) but video drivers here. I think I'm using this one..

Even though 7600GO is not listed as supported, it works fine for me.
(maybe GO is not really listed on any of them)

I wonder if connecting an external keyboard would shed any light on the issue?

so whats teh clockspeed limit of a chip that is put in this laptop? if i get the faster cpu and raid 0 and 4gb ram will i need a new power brick like u have?

To be honest I have no idea. If we had a full control bios where we could then see the various Rails and how they are affected by the upgrades we would know better. Since I was not experiencing random crashes from loosing the CPU's rail I would say a 120w would have sufficed.

I knew the brick was in trouble after adding the PC-2 800 memory. After that I could no longer reliably overclock the GPU to 515-450. Without a doubt I went overkill but that is just what I do..........

My TL-64 90nm is a 35w as is the TL-68 65nm. I can say with paste the heat pipe handles 35w. At full load though it just handles it. Loading Prime95 dual core puts me at 93C with a 70F room temp after about 1 hour. Normal operation is no problem though. So the problem would then lie in the bios seeing 2.4 Ghz and the correct TL designation.

EDIT:
This is Silver paste and the heat pad removed, so bye bye warenty. Also we are only rated to TL-60 as an upgrade but it recognizes the TL-64 just fine. And lastly we are only rated up to pc-2 667 but I can tell you pc-2 800 works fine if you have the cpu to punch into 800 Mhz.......

EDIT:
This is Silver paste and the heat pad removed, so bye bye warenty. Also we are only rated to TL-60 as an upgrade but it recognizes the TL-64 just fine. And lastly we are only rated up to pc-2 667 but I can tell you pc-2 800 works fine if you have the cpu to punch into 800 Mhz.......
TANWare, when you take the heat pad off the joint what do you replace it with. I used Arctic Ceramique and it seemed OK. It was an improvement really, just wondered if there was something better. I was considering cutting up some copper fins from a Zalman and taking up the space but didn't get around to it.

TANWare, when you take the heat pad off the joint what do you replace it with. I used Arctic Ceramique and it seemed OK. It was an improvement really, just wondered if there was something better. I was considering cutting up some copper fins from a Zalman and taking up the space but didn't get around to it.

AS5 is fine. When I pulled the pad and underlying paste I made sure it was CLEAN copper showing on the pipe to CPU contact. Also over the GPU heatsink I removed that piece os paste as well.

With the pipe there was one small drop of Silver paste on the CPU and two on the Heatsink. with the four tongs pre worked (bent) to be sure there was pipe preasure to the cpu I pressed and wiggled the pipe working it down to try and squeze out as much extra paste as possible. I didn't tighten the four screws untill the film between the pipe and cpu was so thin that the pipe was attached like a suction cup.

If it matters I used Antec Formula 5.............

EDIT:
I should state I fully removed the heat pipe to clean it bare. This is done by also taking the fan out with it's three screws before detaching the four screws holding it to the CPU.

PLEASE HELP!

i am just trying to install windows xp pro 32-bit on this laptop.

for whatever reason, the drivers provided by everex are not really doing it for me...

my BIGGEST problem so far has been with the NIC. after installing the drivers, it simply will not connect at all. i'm starting to think it has something to do with their chipset drivers.

has anyone found chipset drivers that work for them (on xp 32-bit)?

PLEASE HELP!

i am just trying to install windows xp pro 32-bit on this laptop.

for whatever reason, the drivers provided by everex are not really doing it for me...

my BIGGEST problem so far has been with the NIC. after installing the drivers, it simply will not connect at all. i'm starting to think it has something to do with their chipset drivers.

has anyone found chipset drivers that work for them (on xp 32-bit)?

You need to install ALL of the Everex-supplied drivers, even ones you think you don't need. Then go to Windows Update and get all the patches.

You need to install ALL of the Everex-supplied drivers, even ones you think you don't need. Then go to Windows Update and get all the patches.

is there a certain order in which to install them?

i generally install chipset, then lan, then the rest.

Don't shoot me but you do have the wireless switch on? Front by the sound plugs.

not sure if this is directed at me. but yes, that switch has been in the ON position since the day it was delivered.

could that be related to my (wired) network problems? i wouldn't think so...

after installing every single driver, i have 2 problems.

1) It is still telling me that i have no audio device. (lower priority)
2) My network connection has "limited or no connectivity" (highest priority)

for the life of me i cannot figure out how to fix the network connection issue. i have tried the "repair" utility. i have given it a static IP address matching the IP range of our network.

none of this is working.

any ideas?

I suppose you uninstalled the drivers causing trouble before installing new ones. You might use a driver cleaner type program also. Something has gotten in crossways. I am just trying to think of things to try. If the hardware was working under Vista it should not be a hardware problem. There are such coincidences in life though ... just to drive us crazy. Are you letting Windows handle the wireless or is there another program handling it? I like to let Windows handle it. I don't think the standard drivers from Everex had any other option but can't remember.

If the drivers from the Everex site don't work go to the hardware maker site and get new of different drivers. Sound is easy to find.

I feel your pain but my XP setup was totally painless (this time).

It is not uncommon to have to install Windows more than once to get things straight but these 2 drivers should not demand it. Mostly I have had to do multiple installs because of some instability bsod situations.

Is wep or some security turned on in your access point?

Maybe something from wild packets will work http://www.wildpackets.com/support/downloads/drivers

after installing every single driver, i have 2 problems.

1) It is still telling me that i have no audio device. (lower priority)
2) My network connection has "limited or no connectivity" (highest priority)

for the life of me i cannot figure out how to fix the network connection issue. i have tried the "repair" utility. i have given it a static IP address matching the IP range of our network.

none of this is working.

any ideas?

Hi, can you get to your routers setup page?

I suppose you uninstalled the drivers causing trouble before installing new ones. You might use a driver cleaner type program also. Something has gotten in crossways. I am just trying to think of things to try. If the hardware was working under Vista it should not be a hardware problem. There are such coincidences in life though ... just to drive us crazy. Are you letting Windows handle the wireless or is there another program handling it? I like to let Windows handle it. I don't think the standard drivers from Everex had any other option but can't remember.

If the drivers from the Everex site don't work go to the hardware maker site and get new of different drivers. Sound is easy to find.

I feel your pain but my XP setup was totally painless (this time).

It is not uncommon to have to install Windows more than once to get things straight but these 2 drivers should not demand it. Mostly I have had to do multiple installs because of some instability bsod situations.

Is wep or some security turned on in your access point?

Maybe something from wild packets will work http://www.wildpackets.com/support/downloads/drivers

i've actually formatted and reinstalled windows about 8 times now. i always tried different drivers with a fresh install.

as for the wireless questions, unless you think that is somehow related to my network interface card that i plug the cat-5 cable into... that is where i have the problem. at this point i don't care about the wireless connection unless it actually affects the wired connection (which i don't think it would).

as for the hardware maker drivers, i've already tried a few different drivers straight from nVidia to hopefully get the networking/chipset working correctly. so far that hasn't worked either.

Hi, can you get to your routers setup page?

no. in fact, after assigning the laptop a static IP address and disabling the firewall, i still do not get a response when i ping it from another computer.

wow wow wow... i'm a nub.

so it turns out that the problem was related to my slipstreamed windows XP install. apparently at some point i included some drivers in the slipstream that were causing the problem on the laptop.

in my defense, the slipstream install has worked on every other computer i've ever used it on regardless of make/model/etc.

anyway... after using the original windows cd, i have installed all of the everex drivers successfully. now i just have to spend a few hours getting all of the patches installed (91 windows updates AFTER SP2, wow).

thanks for the replies so far. just in case... do we know of any windows updates that cause problems?

anyway... after using the original windows cd, i have installed all of the everex drivers successfully. now i just have to spend a few hours getting all of the patches installed (91 windows updates AFTER SP2, wow).
Or you could search for windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe the sp3 beta and apply. Much faster than update. It is beta but caused me no problems yet. I think there were 2 updates that were not covered at the time I did it.

Heh, just read this entire thread from work.....

I picked up one of these from craigslist and am meeting the guy on Saturday to take possession.

I guess I want to summarize what I read and get a quick thumbs up or down on my ideas.

1. I need to use RMClock for sure to prevent throttling. CPU cooling just sucks.

2. The fan workarounds don't make it run 100% all the time, so they're functionally worthless for keeping it cooler under load.

3. The GPU cooling is inadequate for good overclocking. I'm thinking a thermally conductive adhesive and some GPU ramsinks or other small fins on the back of the GPU block. Advice?

4. A bios flash to the c1c will eliminate the 'load' when not running anything issue.

5. Has anybody come up with a good way of enhancing the surface area of the CPU cooler or some other way of making it work better (I'm looking at maybe upgrading CPU but need to figure this out first)? What about a modded low-profile cooler from a video card that has lots of fins and a good fan? It's a better cooling setup if I can make it fit. Would also solve the contact/bad TIM problems of these coolers stock.

6. Many people 'upgraded' to XP. If using 2 GB ram, is there a reason to really do this? Seems that some people reported it helped the IRQ sharing problem, but maybe I misread it.

Is there anything else of substance in here that I missed? Thanks.

Heh, just read this entire thread from work.....

I picked up one of these from craigslist and am meeting the guy on Saturday to take possession.

I guess I want to summarize what I read and get a quick thumbs up or down on my ideas.

1. I need to use RMClock for sure to prevent throttling. CPU cooling just sucks.

2. The fan workarounds don't make it run 100% all the time, so they're functionally worthless for keeping it cooler under load.

3. The GPU cooling is inadequate for good overclocking. I'm thinking a thermally conductive adhesive and some GPU ramsinks or other small fins on the back of the GPU block. Advice?

4. A bios flash to the c1c will eliminate the 'load' when not running anything issue.

5. Has anybody come up with a good way of enhancing the surface area of the CPU cooler or some other way of making it work better (I'm looking at maybe upgrading CPU but need to figure this out first)? What about a modded low-profile cooler from a video card that has lots of fins and a good fan? It's a better cooling setup if I can make it fit. Would also solve the contact/bad TIM problems of these coolers stock.

6. Many people 'upgraded' to XP. If using 2 GB ram, is there a reason to really do this? Seems that some people reported it helped the IRQ sharing problem, but maybe I misread it.

Is there anything else of substance in here that I missed? Thanks.

I had 2 main reasons for "upgrading" to XP. First because of the familiarity -- I just need to get things done and a lot of times do not have the patience to deal with things that work just fine in XP but don't work right in Vista. Second is for gaming. I don't care what magazines have written about gaming performance under Vista, but at least for the games I play I'm better off in XP. Not only are they faster, but I don't have any compatibility issues. And I can use the Everex video drivers, which work remarkably well in XP, and retain use of the function keys. You can't do that in Vista.

And honestly, Vista is a pig. On a top-of-the-line desktop with a top-of-the-line video card you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference, but this laptop isn't either of those. Even with a faster hard drive and 2GBs of RAM Vista is still slow to load, slow to run programs, and is a beast of an OS for what is essentially a mid-range computer. And sure, you can strip it down, turn off all the unnecessary services, the sidebar, and Aero, but then you basically have XP with a video API that STILL doesn't like DX9 games.

Just my 2 cents. I keep Vista on there to play with and experiment, but I use XP when I actually have to accomplish something, even if it's a few hours of Warcraft.

Back