Everex XT5000T Support thread

uh oh. thats not good. you said "finally ran into it not working"

its not that bad is it? mine still works! :confused: :eek:

Maybe a bad choice of words. I was anticipating. No it's not that bad. Has only happened that one time. I find the interesting part being that the card stopped registering all together, ie: stopped showing in device manager and if I ran "install new hardware" it would not find the card. After a shutdown, (not a restart) all was well again. I'm just wondering if there is a larger issue because some people have tried to upgrade their cards without success.

All in all I really like this laptop especially for the dollars spent.

Andy

Any update on being able to replace the wireless connection with a new card? I seem to lose connection on some on line games and I'm pretty sure its the wireless (does not happen when hard wired)...

T

I spoke with a nice tech support guy from Everex today. This wasn't a lackie like I talked to the first time. RAID 0/1 support IS in the BIOS. You have to have 2 drives installed for the option to appear. I am compiling a list of issues and talking to their techs about them... I am supposed to call them back on Friday and exchange info with them... then I will post everything here......

-Thanks

EDIT: In the meantime, if you call Everex... ask to talk to "Mike" or "Michael"... stay away from "Matt" :)

really? i have two of the same 100gb drives installed..and i dont see that option in the bios.

I spoke with a nice tech support guy from Everex today. This wasn't a lackie like I talked to the first time. RAID 0/1 support IS in the BIOS. You have to have 2 drives installed for the option to appear. I am compiling a list of issues and talking to their techs about them... I am supposed to call them back on Friday and exchange info with them... then I will post everything here......

-Thanks

EDIT: In the meantime, if you call Everex... ask to talk to "Mike" or "Michael"... stay away from "Matt" :)

Awesome work bro, when you do, let me know and I'll post it in the OP so folks don't have to dig through pages and pages of crap :D

"ExpressCard 54"

What exactly is this? Is it a PCI-E version of a PCMCIA slot? Do regular PCMCIA cards work in it?

Not sure how much of the increase is due to 1->2G and how much was dual channel, to find that out we'd have to have somebody put in 2x512

I may be able to try this. My Dell notebook has 2x512MB DDR2 in it. Don't remember if I got 533 or 667, but I can try it and see. Also, my wife's notebook has 2x512MB DDR2 in it. Maybe we can find out both - how much dual channel gives, and how much faster RAM gives.

"ExpressCard 54"

What exactly is this? Is it a PCI-E version of a PCMCIA slot? Do regular PCMCIA cards work in it?

A much faster replacement to PCMCIA. It does use one PCI-E lane (X1). PCMCIA won't work, slot is physically different as well.

I was looking around for ExpressCards and haven't had much luck find anything on NewEgg. Not that I need anything specifically, just curious what they had out there so far. Doesn't seem like much yet.

The only thing that really annoys me is the split partition.. Tried to run a few of my partition resize programs and nothing wants to touch the vista partition... Mobilecommand

Can resize it through disk management, did it tonight. Now to just figure out what is on that small 4 gb partition if anything so I can get rid of it. From what I can tell so far it looks like nothing. Capacity = 4.09gb, Free space = 4.09gb, %Free = 100%

On another note put a 2gb kit of the GSkill 667 in tonight and notice it running at a command rate of 2T

If anybody gets their hands on a spec sheet for the motherboard please post it.

Andy

Can resize it through disk management, did it tonight. Now to just figure out what is on that small 4 gb partition if anything so I can get rid of it. From what I can tell so far it looks like nothing. Capacity = 4.09gb, Free space = 4.09gb, %Free = 100%

On another note put a 2gb kit of the GSkill 667 in tonight and notice it running at a command rate of 2T

Andy

Disk management won't let me get rid of that stupid 4G partition.

On another note put a 2gb kit of the GSkill 667 in tonight and notice it running at a command rate of 2T.

Andy

I noticed the same exact thing when I installed 2GB of GSkill 667. Do me a favor... run CPU-Z and look at the memory tab. Does your's also show 320MHz instead of 333MHz? And does it detect your timings at 5-5-5-15-21 instead of 5-5-5-15-20? Please let me know...

-Thanks

I noticed the same exact thing when I installed 2GB of GSkill 667. Do me a favor... run CPU-Z and look at the memory tab. Does your's also show 320MHz instead of 333MHz? And does it detect your timings at 5-5-5-15-21 instead of 5-5-5-15-20? Please let me know...

-Thanks

Yes same results as yourself. I think that there are some on here that purchased those Kingston 1gb 667 modules from fry's, maybe one of those individuals can post their cpu-z results for a comparison.

Andy

A much faster replacement to PCMCIA. It does use one PCI-E lane (X1). PCMCIA won't work, slot is physically different as well.

Darn. With all the talk about the built-in wireless not being the best, I was hoping to run a PCMCIA card. I have a Buffalo card that is high power and even has an MC connector for external antennas. Ahh well.

I think I'm gonna fiddle around with memory now, and will report back with my results.

hmm when i went into disk management on vista i tried to extend the partition and it gave me some crap about the disk having the main OS, system files etc..

i want 1 logical partition, dont wanna to rig it with mount points, or extending volumes..

Here are my RAM results.

Original score with the single Adata 1GB DDR2 533:
base score 4.4
cpu 4.6
memory 4.5
graphics 4.7
gaming 4.6
hdd 4.4

DDR2 533 2x512MB for 1GB total
base score 4.4
cpu 4.6
memory 4.5
graphics 4.8
gaming 4.7
hdd 4.4

DDR2 533 1x512MB 1x1GB for 1.5GB total (I checked BIOS and Windows, both reported right amount)
base score 4.4
cpu 4.6
memory 4.5
graphics 4.8
gaming 4.7
hdd 4.4

Back to original configuration (single 1GB Adata module)
base score 4.4
cpu 4.6
memory 4.5
graphics 4.8
gaming 4.7
hdd 4.4

Anyone want to draw any conclusions? My score went up by one notch on the two video tests, and stayed that way even after I switched back to the original configuration. Otherwise basically I got the same scores. Strange...

I declined to test a single 512MB module since I don't think anyone cares (I sure don't). My RAM is not matched in that one is a Kingston and one is a Gskill, so perhaps that has something to do with it? Maybe this board/CPU won't run these in dual channel? They are running fine (verified) in dual channel in my Dell Inspiron 6000.

Couple of thoughts that are not performance related. The SoDIMM slots on the Everex are much nicer to work with than on the Dell Inspiron 6000 as I have to work the RAM to get it in the Dell, while the Everex just clicks in instantly. However, the Dell has captive screws for the panel - a really nice touch since these tiny screws can dissapear in a blink of an eye. Based on a touch test after running the Windows performance test, the GPU gets the hottest followed by the RAM. CPU seens least hot, unless the heatpipe cooler was just that efficient.

I was looking around for ExpressCards and haven't had much luck find anything on NewEgg. Not that I need anything specifically, just curious what they had out there so far. Doesn't seem like much yet.

These are some of the cards available.

The Turion refresh is reportedly coming at the same time Intel launches Santa Rosa and Centrino Pro. This will be 65nm CPUs, with support for DDR2-800 memory, and up to 2.3GHz in speed. Also AMD reportedly will be slashing prices to stay competitive with Intel.

Very good news. But curious if anyone knows for certain if these new CPUs will work in our existing S1 sockets? I would think so. But one thing I'm definitely not sure of is if we could actually used DDR2-800 memory?

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/12230

guys
I went at driveragent.com let do scan my lappy, i got 73 good drivers and bad 23 driver, look pix below.

not sure if they are accurate ?

it's not free ! it 30 bucks to sign up ! man....

will email to Everex have look this matter and need update all drivers for free for all owners !

phatbx133

If you guys want a really good laugh look at this....

http://laptopmag.com/Review/Everex-StepNote-XT5000T.htm

Compared to this..

http://laptopmag.com/Review/Dell-Inspiron-E1505-Dual-Core.htm

Compared to this...

http://laptopmag.com/Review/HP-Pavilion-dv9000z.htm

What do you guys think? This thing has similar specs as the HP, HP costs 2.5x as much. It has MUCH better specs than the Dell, costs a tad less. However, BOTH blow this thing out of the water in regards to overall review score.

Hmmm....

simple. they rate dell and hp higher up than this cause they are more well known. but i'd take this over them anyday

so the dell played fear at paltry settings/res?? whoppy. lol :D.

Everex FTW! :)

Dang Office Max....just a few days ago I ordered my new HP laptop (thanks to their $200 off customized laptops coupon!), and now OM drops the price on the Everex back to $700!

Decisions decisions...

Besides the keyboard design, are there any new major gripes that have come up with the Everex? I ordered an HP DV6000t, and there's enough posts about the likes\dislikes I know what to check out when I get it to determine if it's the laptop for me.

Unfortunately the Everex is so new the only complaint I hear regularly is about the keyboard, but Office Max has a "no returning opened computer" policy (although I'm sure if I push the issue enough, I could return it), so if the HP doesn't work out I want to make sure there's nothing significant about the Everex that's going to drive me crazy...

Alright, I'm looking for normal operating temperatures of my components. I've been web surfing for the past 40 minutes or so and I have the following temperatures. I looked up the maximum operating temperature of the CPU and its around 95C so that seems to be okay, I'm having issues locating the other valules though.

HD: 34C
CPU: 55-66C
GPU: 65C

Dang Office Max....just a few days ago I ordered my new HP laptop (thanks to their $200 off customized laptops coupon!), and now OM drops the price on the Everex back to $700!

Decisions decisions...

Besides the keyboard design, are there any new major gripes that have come up with the Everex? I ordered an HP DV6000t, and there's enough posts about the likes\dislikes I know what to check out when I get it to determine if it's the laptop for me.

Unfortunately the Everex is so new the only complaint I hear regularly is about the keyboard, but Office Max has a "no returning opened computer" policy (although I'm sure if I push the issue enough, I could return it), so if the HP doesn't work out I want to make sure there's nothing significant about the Everex that's going to drive me crazy...

Besides the keyboard I have not had any major issues with this keyboard and the keyboard issue only seems to affect me in the dark after using a desktop all day unfortunately. :) Battery life isn't that great though, about 1:30 if you push it, but that seems alright to me considering its only a 6 cell battery. I once had an issue with the wireless card not being detected, but I shut if off and back on and it seemed to work fine again, haven't had an issue since.

Take note though that there are no software bundles included except Vista, the drivers, and Cyberlink DVD suite, although that might only be an issue if someone is buying a computer for their first time, it didn't bother me a bit. Other than that, I see no other major issues so far.

I'm currently working on getting OfficeMax to credit me back $200 since I originally bought it for $899 and they match prices within 14 days of purchase. Beautiful deal for the price.

Besides the keyboard I have not had any major issues with this keyboard and the keyboard issue only seems to affect me in the dark after using a desktop all day unfortunately. :) Battery life isn't that great though, about 1:30 if you push it, but that seems alright to me considering its only a 6 cell battery. I once had an issue with the wireless card not being detected, but I shut if off and back on and it seemed to work fine again, haven't had an issue since.

Take note though that there are no software bundles included except Vista, the drivers, and Cyberlink DVD suite, although that might only be an issue if someone is buying a computer for their first time, it didn't bother me a bit. Other than that, I see no other major issues so far.

I'm currently working on getting OfficeMax to credit me back $200 since I originally bought it for $899 and they match prices within 14 days of purchase. Beautiful deal for the price.

Thanks for the input. Almost all the software I use is freeware (OpenOffice, Miranda) or provided free of charge (McAfee from Comcast), so that's not a big issue for me.

I do use my laptop in my lap, a LOT. This is why I ordered a 15.4" laptop with my HP. For $795, I'm getting a Core 2 Duo T5600, 1gb ram, 80gb hd, go 7400, lightscribe dvdrw, intel pro wireless, bluetooth....this was pretty much the ideal laptop for me (comfortable size for my lap, and I don't do a ton of gaming, so the 7400 will be enough).

Just in case I find something about the HP I just can't stand, I ordered an Everex...if I get the HP and it's not going to work out, I'll try the Everex I suppose. I'll just watch this thread closely in the mean time! Thanks again for the input!

I just read those reviews and all I can say is... W T F... the things they rip on the Everex for are praised on the other systems?

I'd like to see who pays for advertising on that site....

I bought 2 of the Everex systems for far less than I would have paid for ONE of those other two... very amusing...

T

To change the subject a little bit. I have just tried OCing the GPU by means of nTune in Vista. I was only brave enough to go up to 512 mHz GPU and 463 mHz mem. When I ran 3dMark06 I scored 2493 (from 2221 stock) and the temps went up to 80*C. It was stable so I kept it and ran Stalker for 5 minutes, but left the temp monitor on to see what would happen. After I turned the game off the GPU temp was in the 90's and the area by the arrow keys got really warm. I went back to factory settings for now, but the game was running a bit smoother although on the same settings. Factory settings keep the temps in thehigh 70's when gaming.
My question is, how far did you guys get with OCing and what your temp readings were. I don't want to mess up my new rig, but the craving to get a few more drops out of it is pretty strong. Can I set the fan settings higher so it does not get so hot ? Any ideas and help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

The HP and the Everex are closer in specs than the Dell. From the reviews:

HP: The centerpiece of the dv9000z is the 17-inch, 1440 x 900-pixel screen.
Everex: Another cost-saver comes in the LCD panel: The 17-inch widescreen is bright enough, but the resolution (1440 x 900 pixels) is low for this class.

HP: The dv9000z returned a respectable 45 fps on F.E.A.R.'s autodetect mode... The 256MB Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 GPU is good enough for casual gaming, with a score of 7,124 on 3DMark03
Everex: The 256MB Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 GPU is good enough for casual gamers and plenty powerful for Vista's Aero interface, but the machine posted a merely okay score of 7,009 on 3DMark03. F.E.A.R. scores were good, but not great, at 41 fps on autodetect

WTF, it is pretty darn close in my eyes, plus the HP has the advantage of twice the RAM, dual channel RAM, 600MHz higher CPU, twice the CPU cache for just barely higher framerates and 3DMock... and couldn't even run their PCMark test. Oh wait, the HP currently costs just over $2100. However, the review was glowing for the HP and lackluster for the Everex.

For around $200 (cost of two 160GB drives and 2GB RAM, minus selling off old parts) you can match the HDD and RAM of the HP. All that's left (besides the crappy keyboard) is the CPU and the battery. I don't think those two items and a webcam are worth the $1200 premium.

For around $200 (cost of two 160GB drives and 2GB RAM, minus selling off old parts) you can match the HDD and RAM of the HP. All that's left (besides the crappy keyboard) is the CPU and the battery. I don't think those two items and a webcam are worth the $1200 premium.

hahah pwnage :D. so very true. heck you could get anotehr everex for less than 1200 :D

Guys, I added some stuff to the OP, check it out!

XP x64 driver locations

A FREE Partitioning tool that will kill the 4GB no problem and move your big partition to the front of the drive. It'll also expand your existing partition if you want to.

A backpack that's secure when you're wearing it (can't be opened) with plenty of padding.

I'll update more as I get more info, if you have anything to contribute please do and I'll add it to the original post for easy access! I dunno about you guys, but I *hate* slogging through threads just to get to the new stuff :)

To change the subject a little bit. I have just tried OCing the GPU by means of nTune in Vista. I was only brave enough to go up to 512 mHz GPU and 463 mHz mem. When I ran 3dMark06 I scored 2493 (from 2221 stock) and the temps went up to 80*C. It was stable so I kept it and ran Stalker for 5 minutes, but left the temp monitor on to see what would happen. After I turned the game off the GPU temp was in the 90's and the area by the arrow keys got really warm. I went back to factory settings for now, but the game was running a bit smoother although on the same settings. Factory settings keep the temps in thehigh 70's when gaming.
My question is, how far did you guys get with OCing and what your temp readings were. I don't want to mess up my new rig, but the craving to get a few more drops out of it is pretty strong. Can I set the fan settings higher so it does not get so hot ? Any ideas and help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Out of curiousity... when you tell it to test for Optimal settings in NTune for the GPU, what numbers does it give you? I am seeing is go DOWN from 450 to 427?

-Thanks

I just got 2: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-TLE400-Deluxe-Leather-Notebook/dp/B0001FXLW8

from Circuit City (I linked the Amazon ad for all the reviews) for an amazingly good deal.

List there was 74.99, I had them price match their website to 59.99, THEN they had a deal I didn't know about, 15$ off of 100$+, so for 2 of them I paid 104.96. I saved 45.02.

Computer fits in it great! My girlfriend works at a place where she can get Tempurpedic strips so I'm going to cover the bottom in 1.5" of mem foam.

T

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
AthlonAlien said:
Out of curiousity... when you tell it to test for Optimal settings in NTune for the GPU, what numbers does it give you? I am seeing is go DOWN from 450 to 427?
The one time I have tried the auto-detect the whole system just froze on me so I have not done it since. I went by the numbers that somebody already posted in this thread. They reported 520/500, which I was afraid to do, they also posted a 3dMark06 score of over 2600, which I was not able to get even close to.

Hey guys, I have been researching the everex laptop and I really want to buy it. So far, the only problems I have read about are the poor batter life and the weird keyboard arrangement. If you guys could give me a full list of pros and cons, it would be greatly appreciated. My main purpose for getting this laptop is to play games, so this would be an ideal laptop, right? Also if you guys can tell me what comes with the packaging. Thanks in advance.

Back