Eth merge/POS delayed

Getting warm here, was really hoping the GPU market would stay inflated till end of May so i could dump my stuff. Not looking likely.
3090's going sub msrp, let's just say someone I know has been picking up 3090's like say a Strix for 1550, and non lhr 3080's still above msrp for 1150 but not 2k anymore. Looking forward to 2.0 for cards to flood the market and tank, it's time to expand not get out if you ask me but everyone's strategy is different.

3090's going sub msrp, let's just say someone I know has been picking up 3090's like say a Strix for 1550, and non lhr 3080's still above msrp for 1150 but not 2k anymore. Looking forward to 2.0 for cards to flood the market and tank, it's time to expand not get out if you ask me but everyone's strategy is different.
I think your BE right now will be in many years, so i'm only doing as a hobby, and i don't really want to double-dip electricity with the air conditioner during the summer. But that's just my thesis. I'll be very interested to hear Nvidia's forecast to backcheck my thoughts.

I’m still not convinced there will be anything worth mining after Eth goes POS so I’m not going to add cards once the crash happens. I’m not going to dump my cards either so I’m happy I get at least a few more months to mine before deciding what to do.

Eth POS is the Star Citizen of hypecoinage. It's always +1 year or X quarters away from current date.

Not sure if you guys watch the ETH Core Devs Meetings they have weekly or so now:

Seems like a lot of issues.. proofs mismatching, sync issues that breaks consensus. There's no way this thing is coming out in 2022. Changing my prediction to 2025. lol

RVN and ERG are far from PnD's. If that were the case, both would've collapsed months/years ago.
I’m no crypto expert, but if those split the current hash rate of Ethereum won’t they need to increase in price a lot to be worthwhile?

Otherwise yes you can try and mine the hot coin of the week but I’m not sure I want to try and do that if it changes all the time.

It will be interesting to see how things settle out.

I have 18 gpus right now all purchased around MSRP and running on a dedicated 240v circuit, my power is decently cheap too so I would like to continue mining.

The shit coin thing doesn’t really appeal to me as I did that back in 2017 when I dabbled in mining after Eth difficulty started going up and everything that I mined that wasn’t Eth is pretty much worthless now.

I guess I would need to transfer it to Eth or BTC immediately if I went that route this time.

RVN and ERG are far from PnD's. If that were the case, both would've collapsed months/years ago.
Looking at the RVN chart... hrrrm

Relatively little movement in price
Price spikes 200 times
Price slowly trickles back down -180%

Looks like every other pump and dump to me.

I think it’s too early to decide something. I will rather wait to see how the market reacts.

Once the merge happens, how many if you guys are going to switch over to staking ETH as your "side hustle"?

Once the merge happens, how many if you guys are going to switch over to staking ETH as your "side hustle"?
I wasn't planning on it. From what I remember, the RoR is pretty low; maybe 5% or something. Pretty low return to have it locked away and unable to sell it if you want to sell.

I wasn't planning on it. From what I remember, the RoR is pretty low; maybe 5% or something. Pretty low return to have it locked away and unable to sell it if you want to sell.
And I imagine if you remove one day the risk that ETH 2.0 never happen and to lose everything, that would go down by a lot I imagine ?

Because 5% could be really good (if that 5% above inflation) if the risk become quite low one day.

APY may go up, or down, it’s hard to say. Essentially you will move all the mining over to the staking nodes so we will have to see how many nodes there are and what the reward is like.

At some point you will have the ability to unstake so there might be two reward pools with different APY offered by staking providers, one for locked in long term and the other for short term or not locked in.

I’m just guess though based on other coins, I haven’t really read anything on the subject.

I personally have some staked currently as I’m playing the long game and thought “let’s give it a try” but for most people the risk vs reward doesn’t make sense. Maybe that will change post merge.

but for most people the risk vs reward doesn’t make sense. Maybe that will change post merge.
Yes because from what I understand right now the risk is quite high, if the merge never happen you would lose everything from a quick (and probably bad) understanding.

Yes because from what I understand right now the risk is quite high, if the merge never happen you would lose everything from a quick (and probably bad) understanding.
Ya if the merge doesn’t happen it’s possibly lost. If you want to liquidate your holdings you can’t because it’s stuck. If the place you staked it through goes belly-up it’s gone.

All that for 5% APY is a bad deal.

So what's the latest on when the merge is supposed to happen?

It's such a joke at this point. It's been what, 2 years that it's been, "In the next few months!"?

It's such a joke at this point. It's been what, 2 years that it's been, "In the next few months!"?
From what I have seen they have converted two of their three test networks. I guess once the third is done they will be ready to schedule the actual merge.

Last estimate I saw said as late as October I believe.

2 years? Try 5 years. They were talking about it in 2017.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I am staying with my spring 2023 prediction, will keep mining until it actually merges.

They don't really have the luxury of releasing an end product that is buggy or vulnerable to hacks. It sucks that its taking this long but it is a new technology and they need to get it right.

Last edited:
What will you do with the gear after the merge, any interesting ETH altcoins worth mining?
No idea, all the gear paid for themselves in 2021. I am just going to be mining what is profitable and simply turning them off when it's not without having to worry about "wen ROI" lol

I expect nicehash and similar profit switching platforms will be good once ETH does merge, would be interesting to see the craziness. The miners who are really comfortable right now are the ones using solar.

Last edited:
Just sold all my gear. Electeicity rate going through the roof. Second time this year. It was kind of killing me before but in the negative once oct comes around.

Sucks but at least i have a bunch of btc saved so of ot ever goes to the moon ill have a good chumk of bills.

Just sold all my gear. Electeicity rate going through the roof. Second time this year. It was kind of killing me before but in the negative once oct comes around.

Sucks but at least i have a bunch of btc saved so of ot ever goes to the moon ill have a good chumk of bills.
FB marketplace here is loaded with mining rigs. They waited way too late.

My electricity rates have went up 20% this year. Currently paying 17 cents a kw. Still i plan to scoup up 4-6 cards this fall if the price is right. Pretty comfortable with the efficiency of the 6600/6700xts. Its almost space heater season.

FB marketplace here is loaded with mining rigs. They waited way too late.
No kidding. Saw a rig with 6x3070s in it for $5k yesterday. Which is a good price around here. I considered it, but I'm old and I don't want to deal with someone's else's "perfect rig".

I sold.mine on FB market place and i got maybe 300 bucks less than selling it in parts. I made out well. Everything already ROId so it was fine.

I had tons of offers with in like 2 hours of the post. Guy who bougbt was cool. Nig miner, 3d printer guru and whay not. Nice guy and contact now.

Back