Escape From Tarkov

Escape from Tarkov ARENA announcement teaser

closed testing is scheduled to start in Fall 2022

Currently running a 15% off sale (20% for EOD). I picked up the Standard edition just to see if I enjoy it or not but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Any specific settings I should enable/disable or tips?

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Currently running a 15% off sale (20% for EOD). I picked up the Standard edition just to see if I enjoy it or not but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Any specific settings I should enable/disable or tips?
Don't take dying personally.
Don't repeek angles.
Do be surprisingly aggressive; you can catch people out.
Do buy the best ammo v. armor you can get.
Do aim for the face.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Do be prepared to die. Often.
Do build up your hideout.
Do use your Alpha container for important/expensive stuff.
Do run scavs regularly.
Do understand scav karma rules.
Don't hunt Cultists at first.

Won't lie: I've had this game off since Feb. Really wish these guys came from somewhere else - because its a great game... but for now?

Nope.

Nikitia really likes black chicks no cap, so like, bsg's not white power nationalist dudes, man.
Funny-- often same people that say we're all the same or whatever, are the same people that say russian civilians...FUCK EM and their livelihoods. Nevermind they probably have friends and family in Ukr.

Are they still saying this game won't be a looter shooter still yet continue to support the game as exactly that and nothing more?

Are they still saying this game won't be a looter shooter still yet continue to support the game as exactly that and nothing more?
I'm not sure how you can say that this game is nothing new. Well, at least when it first was released. There was nothing like it. It's not a standard looter-shooter.

I'm not sure how you can say that this game is nothing new. Well, at least when it first was released. There was nothing like it. It's not a standard looter-shooter.
I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been a first to full release clone that got inside BSG's loop.

Or, heck, a campaign co-op ripoff that lifted the combat and exploration feel.

This game ruined gaming for me. Nothing else gives me anywhere near the highs or the deep crushing slows this game does and thankful that my friends are just as into it as I am. its so brutal i love it.

I played it with my son pretty obsessively for several months a few years ago, while my wife was finishing her degree out of state. There’s no way I can put the time into it now.

It was a rush and had insane highs and lows, my main complaint was that like all the unity engine games the gun play feels off to me.
Put me in a cod or battlefield game and give me a couple of days to get my aim back and I’ll generally do quite well, often top of the score board, but stick me in a unity game like tarkov of rust and I can’t hit shit.

I played it with my son pretty obsessively for several months a few years ago, while my wife was finishing her degree out of state. There’s no way I can put the time into it now.

It was a rush and had insane highs and lows, my main complaint was that like all the unity engine games the gun play feels off to me.
Put me in a cod or battlefield game and give me a couple of days to get my aim back and I’ll generally do quite well, often top of the score board, but stick me in a unity game like tarkov of rust and I can’t hit shit.
Facts, during covid I had all the time in the world to dump into the game. I was a StayAtHome Dad. Now im traveling alot for my new job.
The recoil in this game is very unique. Its Stat driven so its not like COD or Halo. the first few shots you rise and it will plane off. Recoil control in Tarkov is a quick flick down to adjust for the first few shots then you need to lift it back up. When arena comes out people are going to get way more comfortable with combat. Im only lvl 12 this wipe and still actively hunting high end players. I just cant play another FPS anymore =[

Tarkov has something like 12 or 15 tick rate servers at most, which makes it weirder compared to other shooters, also the way they choose netcode to work (or they ended up with lol), often has bad desync.
Game's PVP is understanding/grokking the netcode and supreme map knowledge -- abusing that to give you best odds in engagement; or sitting in a bush for 21 minutes.

Arena will run on different framework/client/netcode than EFT. Wonder what difference will be. Also really wonder how EFT feels over LAN...Maybe bsg just product tests all day.

Well it's not entirely shocking; Streets was gutted to make it somewhat playable. The rubber-banding on the map is terrible, and frames are 'meh'.

But the audio is even worse than it's ever been. Removing Steam audio and replacing it with Oculus audio is whatever, but it's probably the worse audio placement you'll encounter in any AAA shooter these days.

Whats a decent spec machine to play this game at 1080p?

My friend sent me his rig to fix some issues and wants to play this, it seems to me based on the recommended specs he should be fine as he has a 6700K, 16GB RAM, 1070ti and a 1TB SSD but he says it runs really bad.

Whats a decent spec machine to play this game at 1080p?

My friend sent me his rig to fix some issues and wants to play this, it seems to me based on the recommended specs he should be fine as he has a 6700K, 16GB RAM, 1070ti and a 1TB SSD but he says it runs really bad.
I ran it fine with a 970. It's not the spec so much as the waiting and desync - neither of which any hardware you can buy will fix.
You want at least 16gb RAM. Otherwise; it's playable on low spec machines b/c Russian. Higher spec handles the graphics better... but again, its not the graphics that are the real issue.

FWIW - I ran it for a while with a 3070 back when they first came out. As you'd expect, graphically smoother. But that didn't make it any easier to play when the net code shows you a lag behind where a moving target actually is; it's why the agro can kill someone camping a corner in the game, when IRL the guy would be dead the moment he ran out. Guys can dash a corner and be around it shooting you before you even register them on the screen.

Last edited:
I ran it fine with a 970. It's not the spec so much as the waiting and desync - neither of which any hardware you can buy will fix.
You want at least 16gb RAM. Otherwise; it's playable on low spec machines b/c Russian. Higher spec handles the graphics better... but again, its not the graphics that are the real issue.

FWIW - I ran it for a while with a 3070 back when they first came out. As you'd expect, graphically smoother. But that didn't make it any easier to play when the net code shows you a lag behind where a moving target actually is; it's why the agro can kill someone camping a corner in the game, when IRL the guy would be dead the moment he ran out. Guys can dash a corner and be around it shooting you before you even register them on the screen.
I think the bad net code was mitigated when they added inertia.

I think Streets is pretty fun. At least until late wipe when it'll be rat city. The map is the most mmo layout design by far. I am honestly a bit shocked it is good as it is, maybe just because lighthouse followed by a year of no content set low standards. It does look dated somehow; there are so many aaa games with urban settings, standards are high. It runs super well in single player mode, really have to wonder what was changed due to limitations (which is very funny for a current year game, not an old console title). I don't know other games to compare the layout to, but it slightly reminds me of that ill fated modular csgo map, canal

Back