Epic RTS Game?

What's the general opinion on the Command and Conquer series? I'm curious seeing as there's the Steam sale going on right now. I'm kinda put off by the live actor cutscenes and the whole commie thing, even if you are fighting against it.

Total Annihilation was also great, one of the few games i've played where i've remembered the music score. epic sound, perfect accompaniment to the game.

Yeah, looking back I think it's even superior to Starcraft. I used to be the biggest Blizzard fanboy, but between the Total Annihilation's epic battles, mod ability, and the engines natural scaling to modern monitors, it's probably better in my opinion.

TA is/was WAY better than Starcraft, lol.

It was greatly under-appreciated, though. Blizzard was still riding the success of Warcraft.

command and conquer generals 2 looks pretty promising; it will use frostbite 2.0 too which is gonna make it look super sexy.

:)

Anyone tried the new free to play C&C RTS? Ive never tried homeworld...I wish someone would mod TA units/maps into Supcom engine....!! Or at least come up with a mod that will change the gameplay up of supcom. Everyone is always playing the old school maps & using old units...Noone plays BlackOps or any of the cooler new maps/units..

What's the general opinion on the Command and Conquer series? I'm curious seeing as there's the Steam sale going on right now. I'm kinda put off by the live actor cutscenes and the whole commie thing, even if you are fighting against it.

Eh, the chicks are pretty hot and wear slutty things. Kinda makes the game feel like a joke :p

Anyone tried the new free to play C&C RTS?.

Free to play? hrm. I might have to check this out later when I get back home. I haven't gotten into some of the newer renditions, ever since the blanket got thrown over Westwood the series hasn't been as good.
How is this going to be a good model if it is F2P? Are their advertisements in the game or something? lol

Just finished the "Invasion of Normandy" campaign in COH. Man, some of those missions are fucking hard. I went from rolling through the levels to having to replay one at least a dozen times. I even sat down and drew a map, then planned the placement of units. It was tough, but satisfying when I finally beat it.

I bought the complete COH collection, so lot's more to go. May start doing multiplayer once I finish all the single player content.

Yea its called commandandconquer tiberium alliances. The NOD & GDI are the two sides. Didnt really enjoy COH, its more squad based type RTS than it is an all out war RTS.

Officer I think you need both. Online wise I think you can only play Supcom FA. The GPG servers are down permanently.

Rome Total War

World in Conflict

Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun

Most of the older titles run in DOSbox and run great. Dungeon Keeper 1 runs perfect (no video accelerated 3D in the DOS version though).

Normally GOG does a good job updating older games (removing copy protection, updating game code to fix issues, etc) but last I knew Dungeon Keeper 2 is a bit of an exception - as a win95/98 game...last I knew it wasn't running particularly great on Win7. Check the gog forums and make sure (they have great forums). GOG is the go-to place for legacy gaming enthusiasts.

I think it's running well under Nvidia cards and not under AMD cards? Or the other way around?

Bump to Quote/correct myself. Last week GOG announced a patch to fix win7/Vista crashes for DK2...feedback on the forums is good so far.

^ you can get the retail gold edition for less than $10 and activate them on steam anyway, or just go steam. But no, you don't need both FA is standalone. If you're looking to play multiplayer then obviously you're gonna want FA anyway, as that is the latest and everyone will be playing that.
I think the general consensus is that FA is a more refined game with better graphics as well. I just finished the UEF campaign in Supcom the other day and for what it's worth, it was a pretty interesting play through, though I did find it to have some minor annoyances, mainly unresponsive commands. Looking forward to starting FA campaign soon, and then possibly trying out the mp.

I think I might revisit some AoE II sometime soon. I played some of way long ago when my brother bought a win98 machine that came bundled with it. I remember it being pretty fun and addicting working your way through the different stone ages and metal ages and what not. Never really interested in III, but now that I'm like really into rts maybe I'll look into that as well. Same with a lot of those castle builder rts's, they seem interesting but meh idk.

Soooooo, do you need both? Is one better than the other?

No, you don't need both, and really you only need the original SupCom if you want to play the SP campaign there. FA is all you really need for MP.

Re: above posts, FA doesn't really have much better graphics AFAIK but it does add a new faction and has a LOT of balancing tweaks that most people seem to prefer. Basically, if you can only get one (for some reason, though like horse said you might as well just get the Gold edition), get FA.

Re: above posts, FA doesn't really have much better graphics AFAIK but it does add a new faction and has a LOT of balancing tweaks that most people seem to prefer. Basically, if you can only get one (for some reason, though like horse said you might as well just get the Gold edition), get FA.
Some say that it has two to three times more polygons as well as a new improved paint job. Both ign and gamespot reviews mention this...and no I don't frequent those sites, I was just digging for info at the time. :p
I haven't started it yet, maybe this weekend.

Back