Epic RTS Game?

This thread is making me want to reinstall TA. As much as I loved that game, I really did suck at it. I rarely even beat my own AI weighting scheme. :eek:

TA and TA:Kingdoms were the only two games I ever really tried to mod. Figuring out how to hack together user made TA:K campaigns was a lot of fun. Good times.
 
I dont see many people bring these games up but they are actually some of my favorites.

rise of nations and expansions
The settlers 7 I LOVE THIS GAME
Tropico 4 and modern times expansion another i have spent many hours playing
 
I agree rise of nations was kinda fun. But the longevity was nowhere near TA or Supcom...To date Ive never played any RTS as much as TA or supcom & ENJOYED it lol..Starcraft was great but mainly for the single player story along with warcraft 3 & Frozen throne. The online got too hard for me & no zoom out!!
 
I think there is another RTS that has the same idea as Company of Heroes ... you can take a look at Men of War franchise ... I've been playing Men of War Assault Squad it's also a type of RTS game
 
This thread is making me want to reinstall TA. As much as I loved that game, I really did suck at it. I rarely even beat my own AI weighting scheme. :eek:

TA and TA:Kingdoms were the only two games I ever really tried to mod. Figuring out how to hack together user made TA:K campaigns was a lot of fun. Good times.

I have a .rar of Total Annihilation along with the expansion (yes, I did buy it back in '98, no im not lying). It's not that big either, I was seriously considering posting it here and getting an 8 player TCP/IP Total Annihilation fest going, but thought someone might be against me distributing it, even though it's essentially abandonware. I guess technically it's still copyrighted, but meh, it would be real fun. Thought about it on a few occasions actually.
 
I never could find anyone else to play TA with me so I stuck with C&CRA style RTS. Red Alert 2 with Yuri is still my favorite to this day and I will occasionally still start that up and play it. I just wish I could make that game with a higher resolution and I would be happy.
 
I've been addicted to Company of Heroes and the C&C series (RTS versions) for over a decade. Hopefully CoH 2 can build on the success of the first game and Generals 2 can live up to expectations. 2013 will be an interesting year for the RTS genre.
 
There really is nothing interesting in 2013 for RTS gaming...Maybe heart of the swarm thats about it...Still hard to play a game after the zoom out feature of Supcom though..
 
There really is nothing interesting in 2013 for RTS gaming...Maybe heart of the swarm thats about it...Still hard to play a game after the zoom out feature of Supcom though..

No kidding, SupCom has an awesome map system. You could even go dual monitor and have the map on one screen while you play on the other.

I really hope someone picks up the SupCom IP and makes a third installment.
 
I have always liked the total war games but anymore each game is just more of the same.
 
That type of gameplay is a subgenre called Real Time Tactics and there are plenty of games like that.

Ground Control 2
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2
Close Combat

Look it up...


A lot of those "real time tactics" still have resoruces or unit management to a degree.

Warhammer for instance works very similar to Company of heroes, capping points that generate resources where you then build new units.

In Myth, there was 0 resources, you got your units and you could not make new ones/alter them in any way, that's what I'm talking about, 100% combat, no resources, no "capping flags" or making new units. There's not a lot of those out there, especially new ones/upcoming ones.
 
I've never played an RTS but have always wanted to. I know that if I got through the initial learning curve I'm the type of person who could get enjoyment out of this genre, but at the same time I'm not the most patient gamer. A game needs to grab me straight away or I'll put it down very quickly. Another barrier is my need to be shooting/meleeing the crap out of something, and you essentially have to write those off in games like these.

I'm seriously considering trying Sins of A Solar Empire: Rebellion. Everyone says it's a great 'entry-point' game, and I love space sci-fi.

What do you guys think?
 
Out of all the rts games I've played, which is only the DoW/II series, I like the original the best. Dark Crusade and Soulstorm were pretty interesting and challenging as well. The DoW II series is nowhere near as good as the originals imo. I really missed the base building, the THINKING, and the building of an actual army to regulate the fuck outta shit. The tiny three man groups in DoWII just didn't cut it for me. People say base building is boring and the same old formula, but to me in my limited experience with rts, that's what it's supposed to be all about. I kind of want to expand my rts play into other areas, but at the same time I don't want to be distracted from W40K.
 
Personally, I Wish we'd get an RTS game that focuses PURELY on combat/story and 0 on "Base building" and making new units.

Ahem, then you would LOVE the last Command and Conquer game....oh wait i seriously doubt you would :p
 
I've never played an RTS but have always wanted to. I know that if I got through the initial learning curve I'm the type of person who could get enjoyment out of this genre, but at the same time I'm not the most patient gamer. A game needs to grab me straight away or I'll put it down very quickly. Another barrier is my need to be shooting/meleeing the crap out of something, and you essentially have to write those off in games like these.

I'm seriously considering trying Sins of A Solar Empire: Rebellion. Everyone says it's a great 'entry-point' game, and I love space sci-fi.

What do you guys think?

I dont care for the SOASE games. I found the combat to be very flat and dull and the base building and expansion is very minimal and unimpressive with little room for creativity.
If they combined the combat in intensity from homeworld with the SOASE multi system idea it would be much better.

Its a game I keep trying to like. I have every release of Sins and keep waiting for it to show me what everyone else seems to like but Im still waiting.

I keep going back to homeworld.
 
I just went ahead and bought supcom gold off amazon for $10. I've been looking into it for a while and have been wanting to get it but always had some concerns about it, mainly the camera system. I like the DoW camera type where it gives you total control over it. I'll get used to it. Looking forward to it. Should be fun and a great learning experience as well.
 
There really is nothing interesting in 2013 for RTS gaming...Maybe heart of the swarm thats about it...Still hard to play a game after the zoom out feature of Supcom though..

No kidding, Supcom spoiled me for all other RTS games with that "tactical zoom".
 
haha yea spewn now whenever I play any RTS I feel like im boxed in..I still cannot believe no other RTS has implemented the zoom out feature..Honestly to me it was revolutionary in terms of changing the RTS game play...It finally gave you the feeling you were fighting a huge war on multiple fronts...I wish we could get a modern looking & fantasy RTS game with this zoom feature & gameplay similar to supcom...it would be amazing...Heres to hoping CT gets his new supcom/fantasy out..

Horse you hardly ever will use the camera feature...But anyways I think everything has been moved to FA forever so you need Forged Alliance if you want to play online.
 
Depends on what you really mean by "push the limits" i think sc2 is amazing, and have been playing it for a very long time.
 
Horse you hardly ever will use the camera feature...But anyways I think everything has been moved to FA forever so you need Forged Alliance if you want to play online.
Ok, but can you do ground level views like you can in DoW? (if you've played it) I just really like the ways its done, with the press of a single key you have free rein to manipulate it however you wish. Very simplistic. When I was reading how it was done for Supreme Commander it seemed very convoluted.

So is Supcom better than Supcom 2.....?
That seems to be the going opinion amongst the community.
 
Supreme Commander 1 is still one of my fav RTS games, lot so of fun, and so many options to build up your army, or navy, or air force. Great game. SC2 sucked.
 
So is Supcom better than Supcom 2.....?

Yes. Supcom 2 basically got the console treatment. On its own its not a total failure, but after playing the 1st game, getting Supreme commander 2 is like being hit in the head, tossed in a pastel painted room with green trim, and forced to sit on the floor and draw circles using giant crayons...and you have no lips or eyelids.
 
Last edited:
MavericK96- Noone will be able to do supcom justice as Chris Taylor & his company the original creators of Total Annihilation...If anyone does pick it up they will ruin it like EA did with C&C once westwood was dismantled. But anyways I think Square Enix now owns the rights to Supcom which means they will need to buy the rights from them or them be publisher like they were for supcom 2. Noone has ever made a game like supcom & I doubt anyone will ever do it.. But I know how CT works if he does make another supcom like game it will probably be a new IP just like the new King & Castles. I think GPG issue is funds. THQ was going down the drain so they could not fund another game & Im not sure how they talked square enix into a sequel. This is most likely why they took on that Microsoft game AoE Online. Honestly, it could be a great move..If they could get more funding from the big M they might be able to create another supcom like game & actually finish Kings & Castles which looks to be a true Fantasy based Supcom like game..

Lol I would not play supcom 2 for free..I hated the way the units looked. It basically felt like a console version RTS.
Chris Taylor. "I want to develop a Total Annihilation 2" Gamestar <Would rather see this than supcom after the bad feelings/taste I got from Supcom 2
 
Waiting for COH2 here, COH1 was great. But am struggling to find much else, perhaps Forged Alliance. Supreme Commander 2 was horrible imo.
 
Supcom is great, but this thread has seemed to forget to differentiate Supcom and Supcom FA. Supcom FA had an easier economy and was generally a faster game. They are definitely different. Personally, I liked the exponential nature of Supcom's economy but FA probably made for a better ladder game.
 
Yes. Supcom 2 basically got the console treatment. On its own its not a total failure, but after playing the 1st game, getting Supreme commander 2 is like being hit in the head, tossed in a pastel painted room with green trim, and forced to sit on the floor and draw circles using giant crayons...and you have no lips or eyelids.

I honestly wonder how much people that rip on SupCom2 have actually played SupCom2.

I have about 50 hours into it and just as many (probably more) into SupCom and TA, and they're all fun games for what they are. Sure, SupCom2 was not really a direct sequel to SupCom in terms of the economy system and tech trees, but it's still a fun game for what it is. It's really not all that "dumbed down" and it does require a fair bit of strategy/skill to be successful in. You just have to use different strategies than SupCom, which is basically the same as any RTS if you go from one to another.

Plus it (still) has some of the better graphics in RTS games these days.

MavericK96- Noone will be able to do supcom justice as Chris Taylor & his company the original creators of Total Annihilation...

Sad but probably true. We can dream, though. :cool:
 
ForealzL I agree supcom & FA were def different. I enjoyed both. I remember back when people didnt know you could build an economy off mass fabs instead of getting mexes lol...They would own the entire map & I would own a small section & rebuild my base with fabs & make a total turn around and win!

I have played supcom 2..maybe it was the look & the way you had to tech that turned me off. & also the scale felt a lot different. Just felt like starcraft with zoom lol
 
Loved the Myth series too. It was really fun and challenging since you couldn't make additional units and had to use whatever you had. Loved the gnomes!
 
I have played supcom 2..maybe it was the look & the way you had to tech that turned me off. & also the scale felt a lot different. Just felt like starcraft with zoom lol

The tech is certainly different, but as for the "StarCraft with zoom" comment about scale, I really don't see that at all. You can still have massive 8-player maps and hundreds of units, just like TA and SupCom.
 
I have about 190 hours into Supcom2 and ill say it kind of grows on you, the games can move really fast and I find myself having a bit of fun now and then. Now Supcom1 hand down BLOWS AWAY Supcom2 with the ability to actually upgrade economy and shield buildings, custom maps, and custom building - but its performance is TERRIBLE and I found myself massing nukes spiders fatboys mavors or colossus it felt so heartbreaking to not get to have a MASSIVE 4v4 battle on a 80k map w/o it slowing to a crawl and having to use super weapons just to get the slow thing over with. It was the reason I finally ditched AMD back in ’07 and got a q6600 – to play that game w/ quad cores… but alas… it was not enough it just ran… slow… But Total Annihilation... oh dear sweet TA... that holds a special place... I have a special place in my heart for it. The ideas behind that game were light years ahead of its time; it’s the original! Having a musical background and experience with many instruments, one thing that really stood out was the amazing sound track. A full symphonic treat for your ears indeed! :)
 
4 pages and no one has mentioned the Total War series? Rome and Shogun 2 were excellent - as was the original Shogun, but it's pretty dated now. Thousands, even up to 10,000 I believe, units? Nothing like pulling off the perfect cavalry flank and watching the entire enemy army start to rout, fleeing away as your army cuts them to pieces.

MP with friends is also fun...2v2, one of the opposite team went with quantity instead of quality. His troops broke even before engaging when my upgraded morale cavalry came charging out of the trees, his teammate left alone against my teammates infantry. :D

Ok, I really want to go play Shogun 2 now, lol.
 
Does anyone even play supcom2 online still lol? klljm I think on supcom forever the performance has been increased a lot. They have added several patches. Ive played a 6 on 6 which was insane...it ran pretty well but it might have been setup to where everyone had a quad core with good connection lol Everyone who enjoyed supcom should try out FA Forever!
 
I wish they redid rise of nations.

Playing Greeks and rolling in with tanks while other nations still had horses was awesome. I didnt MP much, but 7 insane comps in FFA was a blast.

Thats it, I'm gonna fire up a few games of RoN
 
Does anyone even play supcom2 online still lol? klljm I think on supcom forever the performance has been increased a lot. They have added several patches. Ive played a 6 on 6 which was insane...it ran pretty well but it might have been setup to where everyone had a quad core with good connection lol Everyone who enjoyed supcom should try out FA Forever!

Yeah i have Forged Alliance, and it runs a bit better, but they did some wonky rebalancing with the units, but the seraphim are fun! and of course UEF... those little helper flying drones... just build a field of them then have them assist your commander and its insta-built time mwahaha.... i will say SupCom1 had AWSOME looking nukes supcom2's are so wimpy. the UEF nuke looks SO bad ass! and the seraphim experimental nuke lol! wow! i never knew i liked 'em THAT huge :eek:! lol.

Also C&C Generals was actually an AWSOME game, buggy as hell w/ strange crashes but VERY fun to play. also good interface when you starting building lots of superweapons. And ohhh damm those aurora bombers... mmm sexxxy! ;)
 
That is what I loved about supcom & even the old TA...There were so many possibilities when playing online..You could use so many strategies to win the game it was almost endless...The reputability of the game is infinite lol I remember one game in particular when the enemy had built an experimental & I was building a billy nuke. He started typing gg bc he realized I had no counter experimental. However I had my UEF ACU in the water next to his acu & base I shot the billy right on his acu & wiped him out lol He was in complete shock it felt totally epic & satisfying!
 
There were plenty of clones and games that were epic over the last 15 years on the RTS genre. Some of them were:

Homeworld (ahead of its time)
Starcraft
SupCom (did the most for RTS since TA and SC)
SC2
All AOE clones. Rise of Nations etc.
 
I have about 190 hours into Supcom2 and ill say it kind of grows on you, the games can move really fast and I find myself having a bit of fun now and then. Now Supcom1 hand down BLOWS AWAY Supcom2 with the ability to actually upgrade economy and shield buildings, custom maps, and custom building - but its performance is TERRIBLE and I found myself massing nukes spiders fatboys mavors or colossus it felt so heartbreaking to not get to have a MASSIVE 4v4 battle on a 80k map w/o it slowing to a crawl and having to use super weapons just to get the slow thing over with.

Actually the performance in SupCom2 gets pretty bad after awhile (as far as network lag/desync, anyway), but I think that must be a common problem among RTS games, because I've experienced the same thing in virtually all massive-scale RTSes that I've played.

Does anyone even play supcom2 online still lol?

I do on occasion, but I'm not sure what the community on the whole looks like. Still have a few friends that play and we did a 4v4 vs AI just the other day. I would be down for a game if anyone ever wanted to play. Steam name is MavericK99966.

There were plenty of clones and games that were epic over the last 15 years on the RTS genre. Some of them were:

Homeworld (ahead of its time)
Starcraft
SupCom (did the most for RTS since TA and SC)
SC2
All AOE clones. Rise of Nations etc.

With the exception of Starcraft 2, all of those games are like 5 or more years old.

So yeah, there's obviously been good ones in the past, but we could use some new ones for sure. I heard that C&C Generals 2 might be coming, but I don't trust EA with it that much since they killed Westwood.
 
Back
Top