Epic Games Store

I've read that the CCP is going to acquire golden shares in Tencent so it has power over business decisions. I expect that a high profile CCP member will soon join the Tencent board of directors.

Should I be concerned and running Epic on a burner PC/network?

I've read that the CCP is going to acquire golden shares in Tencent so it has power over business decisions. I expect that a high profile CCP member will soon join the Tencent board of directors.

Should I be concerned and running Epic on a burner PC/network?
All out info is allrayd out thier so probably not.

Today, we're introducing the Epic First Run program: an opt-in exclusivity program for third-party developers on the Epic Games Store

What is the Epic First Run program?

Epic First Run is an opt-in exclusivity program that offers third-party developers 100% net revenue of user spending on eligible products in their first six months of exclusivity on the Epic Games Store. When the exclusivity period ends, the revenue share captured from user spending will revert to 88%/12%

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/news/introducing-the-epic-first-run-program

Last edited:
Well, that's neat.
I think it's been over a year since I opened EGS and I don't see any reason to bother again.

Last edited:
As long as Epic keeps giving away (good) free games in their store I'll keep it installed and keep checking it out periodically.

As long as Epic keeps giving away (good) free games in their store I'll keep it installed and keep checking it out periodically.
They also often have better sale pricing than steam. I've bought a bunch of games through them due to that.

This is great for developers wishing to keep more of their money, while also selling less copies :D

I just prefer Steam, because I've been using it for years and most my games are on there, so I don't want another platform to keep my games. Plus Epic Games Store seems to always have ads, and runs in the background on my PC, with some pop ups and garbage. I'm sure Steam also runs in the background, but seems lighter and not so intrusive, plus it doesn't run when I start or reboot my PC, I have to click Steam to get it on, but Epic app seems to always be on 24/7.

Seems like Epic is getting desperate. They already get a number of timed exclusives so I can only assume that isn't working out as well as they hoped.
How does giving more money to developers indicate desperation? Do you read the words you type before posting?

How does giving more money to developers indicate desperation? Do you read the words you type before posting?
Because it's giving more money for timed exclusives. It's not even for exclusives, just *timed* exclusives. They're doing anything they can to try and get games on epic first so people will use their store.

Obviously developers aren't making enough money on Epic exclusives already, otherwise they wouldn't need to court them so hard.

This is still good news for developers though.

I'm still just gonna wait 6 months till steam release myself.

EGS is the only program I have ever had that kills my network connection if I try to run it and log in with an older version.

Because it's giving more money for timed exclusives. It's not even for exclusives, just *timed* exclusives. They're doing anything they can to try and get games on epic first so people will use their store.

Obviously developers aren't making enough money on Epic exclusives already, otherwise they wouldn't need to court them so hard.

This is still good news for developers though.

I'm still just gonna wait 6 months till steam release myself.

I guess I just have more important things to worry about than what button I push to launch a game. If I can buy a game for cheaper AND have the developer get a bigger cut I'll do it. The idea that people are crying over timed exclusives between launchers on the same damn platform is just so insanely ridiculous to me.

If I was currently having technical issues like TED then I'd understand but that doesn't seem to be the case for most.

I mean lot of people don't like/use epic for this very reason, so they double down on it? Let's keep trying to force folks to use our store and see how that works.

I don't care either way, I'll keep taking the free games but obviously a lot of gamers do.

If things were going better they would likely increase the fees to something like 15%. Going from 12% to 0% means they are going to take an additional loss in the hope more games come to their store. The idea for them is long term it will pay off, but it is a risky proposition. Seems like the 12%, waiving UE4/5 engine fees to 0% vs Steam's 20-30% was not good enough.

It isn't too hard to see why. EGS hasn't quite reached parity with Steam. It was understandable up front but updates were slow rolled out. I understand their idea is to keep it more simplistic to keep maintenance costs down but it is still a bit too bare bones.

If things were going better they would likely increase the fees to something like 15%. Going from 12% to 0% means they are going to take an additional loss in the hope more games come to their store. The idea for them is long term it will pay off, but it is a risky proposition. Seems like the 12%, waiving UE4/5 engine fees to 0% vs Steam's 20-30% was not good enough.

It isn't too hard to see why. EGS hasn't quite reached parity with Steam. It was understandable up front but updates were slow rolled out. I understand their idea is to keep it more simplistic to keep maintenance costs down but it is still a bit too bare bones.
I don't think you guys understand how idealistic Tim Sweeney is. He's a billionaire. He already has way more money than he needs or wants. He's given away millions to charity. He's bought shitloads of land just to conserve it.

His goal is to get developers a better cut and in the end make things better for consumers. To do that on PC he has to end Steam's monopoly status. He can and will bleed out shitloads of money to do that. And his goal isn't doing that just for PC games, it's also for phones and even consoles. If you paid attention at all to the iPhone app store and Google Play litigation he had plenty of chances to make better deals for Fortnite, but he didn't. He wants them for every developer.

I don't think you guys understand how idealistic Tim Sweeney is. He's a billionaire. He already has way more money than he needs or wants. He's given away millions to charity. He's bought shitloads of land just to conserve it.

His goal is to get developers a better cut and in the end make things better for consumers. To do that on PC he has to end Steam's monopoly status. He can and will bleed out shitloads of money to do that. And his goal isn't doing that just for PC games, it's also for phones and even consoles. If you paid attention at all to the iPhone app store and Google Play litigation he had plenty of chances to make better deals for Fortnite, but he didn't. He wants them for every developer.
Bullshit. Sweeney is a vulture. He's disparaged PC gamers, he constantly contradicts himself (EGS will be curated and not allow trash games, EGS will not allow crypto games, etc.), and is just another twitterella manbaby.

In general this extra money is going to the publishers; not the developers. Exclusivity is not better for the consumers. Steam is not a monopoly. His goal is to force his company into everyone's devices while making it impossible for the platform owners and/or consumers to have a say.

Last edited:
Bullshit. Sweeney is a vulture. He's disparaged PC gamers, he constantly contradicts himself (EGS will be curated and not allow trash games, EGS will not allow crypto games, etc.), and is just another twitterella manbaby.

In general this extra money is going to the publishers; not the developers. Exclusivity is not better for the consumers. Steam is not a monopoly. His goal is to force his company into everyone's devices while making it impossible for the platform owners and/or consumers to have a say.

You're letting your hate filled bias control your assessment and not the facts.

I get that. But my point is their previous offer was seemingly not enough to bring enough developers to EGS. We know he is trying to give a better deal to developers, but generally they have decided that the previous deal wasn't good enough. Of course they are taking a loss on this, but again that is my point.

Though I assume 0% fees will bring in some other developers. Especially if they use UE4/5.

I get that. But my point is their previous offer was seemingly not enough to bring enough developers to EGS. We know he is trying to give a better deal to developers, but generally they have decided that the previous deal wasn't good enough. Of course they are taking a loss on this, but again that is my point.

Though I assume 0% fees will bring in some other developers. Especially if they use UE4/5.

Ok, my point is he won't ever be increasing fees to the 30/70 "standard" split, or probably ever above EGS's standard non-exclusive split because his entire goal is to reduce them as much as possible.
They aren't anywhere close to taking a loss on their standard fees.

Obviously this new exclusivity deal of taking no cut at all and giving away games for free is costing them money and unsustainable by itself.
And I understand why exclusivity deals piss people off because they're "unfair" and people can't have it on their preferred store. But the reason most people have a preferred store is because it's what they've already been using and where all their other games are. That is the advantage Steam has and why Steam takes such large cuts from developers. Fighting "fair" by just having a better store is not winnable because existing library and price trumps everything else. It's impossible to fight Steam "fairly" because it isn't a fair fight.
EGS's strategy is long term. They're giving away games and making exclusivity deals so people build up their EGS library.

Last edited:
Epic owned Bandcamp!?
Epic acquired Bandcamp last year, and Bandcamp employees are not happy about it. Almost immediately after being acquired by Epic, Bandcamp unionized.

Epic Games buys Bandcamp, says 'fair and open platforms are critical'​

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/epic-games-bandcamp-acquisition/

Bandcamp employees are looking to unionize, citing a lack of transparency around Epic’s purchase of BC as a reason​

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/bandcamp-union-1234695308/

Bandcamp Employees Officially Vote to Unionize​

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2023/05/22/bandcamp-employees-officially-vote-to-unionize/

After the unionization, it's little surprise that Bandcamp is one of the entities Epic now wants to divest from.

Interesting post and replies on reddit by a marketer who worked for Epic games until recently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckepic/comments/173wgan/hi_fuck_epic/

"I do really appreciate the sentiment and care. We really did/do care on EGS. There's only so much we can do at our place in the hierarchy. I was skip level to Tim when I started and was like 6 rings down by the end. New president is just MIA and hired a bunch of awful people with huge titles and salaries that would be there less than 2 years, do nothing and then bounce to better gigs. We just sat there and watched our dream of a better marketplace get flushed down the political/red tape toilet. Funny when the leadership there tried to make us believe "games aren't political" during BLM. That sucked for sure."

Interesting post and replies on reddit by a marketer who worked for Epic games until recently.

"I do really appreciate the sentiment and care. We really did/do care on EGS. There's only so much we can do at our place in the hierarchy. I was skip level to Tim when I started and was like 6 rings down by the end. New president is just MIA and hired a bunch of awful people with huge titles and salaries that would be there less than 2 years, do nothing and then bounce to better gigs. We just sat there and watched our dream of a better marketplace get flushed down the political/red tape toilet. Funny when the leadership there tried to make us believe "games aren't political" during BLM. That sucked for sure."
A friend of mine in another forum was an epic employee that worked on Fortnite level design. Now that he's been laid off he's finally able to show-off his portfolio and if you've played fortnite at any point in the past 5+ years (and even right now) you've battled in the arenas he's made. If they're cutting someone who works *directly* on fortnite, Epic is definitely going through some shit.

A friend of mine in another forum was an epic employee that worked on Fortnite level design. Now that he's been laid off he's finally able to show-off his portfolio and if you've played fortnite at any point in the past 5+ years (and even right now) you've battled in the arenas he's made. If they're cutting someone who works *directly* on fortnite, Epic is definitely going through some shit.
Sounds like classic mismanagement. They didn't even invest in making the Epic Games Launcher one of the best out there.

Sounds like massive mismanagement and growing too fast. Shame. No wonder EGS essentially stopped development for some odd reason.

At least UE5 is going full speed, I assume there is zero room for BS there.

I wasn't terribly surprised when news of EGS struggles was announced considering I had seen this Aya & Naya trash on their store prior to the news. I thought it odd that they allowed this since I thought I remembered them saying that they were going to curate games instead of allowing just anyone to publish anything. Even though I'm sure Steam has tons of junk, I never seem to see it on the front page of the store maybe because of filters I've set.

1697414214940.png

I wasn't terribly surprised when news of EGS struggles was announced considering I had seen this Aya & Naya trash on their store prior to the news. I thought it odd that they allowed this since I thought I remembered them saying that they were going to curate games instead of allowing just anyone to publish anything. Even though I'm sure Steam has tons of junk, I never seem to see it on the front page of the store maybe because of filters I've set.

View attachment 606311
Don't lie. Aya & Naya was a day one purchase for you.

Back