Epic Games Store

Steam really need to offer developers more options. All my purchases have been on Epic for the past year due to selection and price. Steam can only compete with exclusives. Steam's prices look like a expesive gamble compared to what Epic and Tim S. Is doing.

I have definetly been enjoying using Epic lately, but for sheer variety and availability of the type of games Im interested in, they just dont hold a candle to Steams selection. For example theres 28 strategy category games on Epic. There are literally hundreds if not thousands on Steam, and while a lot of them are probably crap, there are still at least 100 that are worth a try.. They just dont have the catalog to compete yet. But they are coming along nicely!

I will say, looking at what EGS offers, they do seem to have a generally "higher" quality of offering due to being pickier about their acceptance - I would give most (Probably 80%) of their 28 strategy games a try, while I would only give maybe 10% of steams hundreds/thousands a try - but in sheer numbers, Steam still wins, even with a much lower percentage of overall that Id be willing to try.

Last edited:
If a game is on multiple platforms, I tend to go with Steam just because most of my library is there. Plus, I use it as a front-end launcher for everything anyway. I have a pile of other stores and launchers installed (Steam, Origin, Epic, uPlay, Battle.net, Bethesda, MS GamePass, etc.). I'd say my Epic library is probably second only to Steam and it has only been out a short time. Those games are mostly really good, too. Trick is, roughly 2/3 of them I already bought on other platforms.

I have 4 games on the Epic Store and 3 of them were free (GTA 5, KC: Deliverance and What Became of Edith Finch)...the only one I paid for was Metro: Exodus

Epic Games Store gets self-service refunds and more keyless integration

Instead of contacting Epic to request a refund, you can now hit up your transactions list and do it directly from there...Just click the game you want to refund, and if it's eligible the option will appear...The game must still have been bought within 14 days and only played for a maximum of two hours...If you've been banned or broke the terms of service, you won't be eligible for the refund...

Epic's also partnered with Fanatical, Green Man Gaming and Genba Digital to expand keyless purchases...if you link your Epic account with any of these shops, you won't have to redeem keys, as the games will automatically be added to your Epic account...other new additions include manual throttling of downloads and support for five more currencies: CAD, AUD, SEK, DKK, NOK...

https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

I still worry about Epic and their launcher in general. Some of the exclusives are interesting but will eventually be on Steam.

Man.... all these free triple A games are the worst....

Oh wait, nope. It's pretty darn awesome!

Reactions: Parja
like this
worry about what? it works fine and isnt loaded with a bunch of crap.

Not really but it is getting there. UI could use a bit of work, too many times do you need to restart to fix an issue (but happening far less now), shopping cart, a couple of other things. It will get there eventually but the pace is a bit slow. Haven't ever had a major issue with it but I seldom use it.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
Epic is making Steam look stupid we'll fix stupid free games for all!

Not sure if Ark is going to be free next week wish it was Atlas Ark basically was Steams baby for the longest time people clicked 10000 hours in game.

Last edited:
Can't believe all the games that have been free on epic....steam has never had any decent game for free lol wait take that back tomb raider that's about it...btw I got this borderlands free are those games any good?

Steam really need to offer developers more options. All my purchases have been on Epic for the past year due to selection and price. Steam can only compete with exclusives. Steam's prices look like a expesive gamble compared to what Epic and Tim S. Is doing.
What do you mean by this?

My problem with Steam is that they used to have great sales occasionally with good price cuts, (At least for stuff that's been out a while) but now they take off 10% from the price and act like it's a major cut. Or even if they do a really good sale they usually sell any DLC at full price which isn't always cheap. But very rarely now do they have great sales. There's way too much bloat in Steam right now. Every yahoo who can minimally program puts out a game and sends it to steam to sell. Its good to do so for the most part and sometimes you'll get a gem but a lot of the non-big company games on Steam look and seem to be really not worth buying or even playing. Steam was great when it was new because it was doing one thing and one thing only and not trying to be everything to everybody. It needs to go mostly back to that. (Maybe they started to believe their own hype?) But just my opinion. :hungry:

What do you mean by this?
I don't know what he means but I can tell you many of my friends from developing countries started pirating a lot less and buying games a lot more thanks to epic games store supporting regional pricing in their countries whereas Steam didn't. Steam would ask them for 1-2 weeks salary for a single game, whereas EGS would have way more reasonable/affordable pricing for the same games.

Can't believe all the games that have been free on epic....steam has never had any decent game for free lol wait take that back tomb raider that's about it...btw I got this borderlands free are those games any good?
I don't understand all this salivation over free games. I mean if any of the games that they make free were even remotely interesting to me I'd have already purchased them and finished them.
Why would I play a game I wasn't interested in? Being free won't turn a bad game into a good game.

I don't understand all this salivation over free games. I mean if any of the games that they make free were even remotely interesting to me I'd have already purchased them and finished them.
Why would I play a game I wasn't interested in? Being free won't turn a bad game into a good game.

Not everyone is wealthy enough to afford every game they want.

Nothing about salivating lol its just the fact that nothing is ever free on steam...anyways I'm the type of person who waits for games to drop in price before buying bc I have such a huge back log. But the point is I missed alot of games namely gta5,assassins creed games, hyper light drifter,wwz, etc so getting them free is pretty cool.

Nothing about salivating lol its just the fact that nothing is ever free on steam...anyways I'm the type of person who waits for games to drop in price before buying bc I have such a huge back log. But the point is I missed alot of games namely gta5,assassins creed games, hyper light drifter,wwz, etc so getting them free is pretty cool.

Same here. I get the free games, but still have a back log of games I haven't played yet, so It's a while until I get to them, but free is free.

Some people may find them interesting and getting them for free is a plus for them. Lets not over complicate things.

I'll only redeem something I may be somewhat interested in. Most 2D indie style games I won't bother with. AAA or AA games I get, even if I have them on another platform already. I have some games on both Origin and Steam, or EGS and Uplay, or some other combination. Redundancy is good.

Some people may find them interesting and getting them for free is a plus for them. Lets not over complicate things.
Uh, oh let's not overthink this, blessed ignorance is blessed.
For most it will just sit in their backlog and never get played a minute, so there is not much value added.
All I see is cloak and dagger tactics trying to sway public opinion in their favor, diverting attention from all the bad shit they do, and features they promised but didn't deliver on.
They aren't adding much value to the community with these free games, this is just optics. And sadly it works, because most are too blinded by "free is free".
I'll only redeem something I may be somewhat interested in. Most 2D indie style games I won't bother with. AAA or AA games
Frankly if I'd ever see anything interesting on their giveaway list that I don't already have, I'd rather buy it elsewhere than give them the time of day. But so far the only interesting games on there I already owned.
And not because I'm "ah so wealthy". Games are not expensive, if you can afford a gaming PC i'm sure you can afford to buy a game every now and then. It's not like there are dozens of great games every year.
They are not giving away brand new AAA games, but games that already through 99% of their market cycle anyway, so wealth is not an argument here.
I get, even if I have them on another platform already. I have some games on both Origin and Steam, or EGS and Uplay, or some other combination. Redundancy is good.
I have some games on multiple platforms and I hate it, some games I own the retail version, the steam version, the uplay version, the origin version bah, it's ridiculous that there are even multiple versions of games.
And when I want to play them I have to figure out which platform I played them on last, and on which platform I have the most complete version of the game. You can't spin this as a good thing.
Redundancy is good, why? Because you fear they'll take away your games? Then why don't you have every game on multiple platforms? What is the point of having one game on multiple places?

I've learned long ago that redeeming free games is just clutter that I'll never get around to playing. Origin has been giving away games for years, but I stopped redeeming those as well when I realized WTH I was doing why do I need all this junk in my game library that I never going to play. But of course nobody talks about origin giveaways because EA man bad. Epic man good.

It takes some serious dedicated to find fault in free games.

Most of the free games on EGS have been great. Many have been indie games that either I hadn't heard of, or didn't know enough about to know I might enjoy. Some have games that were on my radar, but I was waiting to hit a certain price while I clear through my backlog. Some were games I didn't think I'd like, but tried anyway because they were free. Quite truthfully, Epic's free games have been one of the best things to ever come my way in the realm of video games. I've played a lot of games I otherwise never would have, and gotten into genres that I would have never expected to enjoy. It's been a remarkably positive thing for me, far beyond just the value of the games themselves.

An argument could be made that this literally strengthens the entire industry. I've started purchasing games that would have never even existed to me without EGS having giving me something similar for free and opening up a new genre. The same has held true for my friends. As an example, myself and a buddy are avid Civ 6 players. We have a regular gaming group that consists of 6 people... the other four wanted nothing to do with the game. We've tried for years to get them to give it a look, with zero success. Then it was free last week on EGS... every single one of them downloaded it. Every single one of them enjoyed it. All four of them went onto buy the expansions. One of them also picked up Old World (a recently released competitor to Civ), and the rest of the group went from not giving a shit about that game to "we'll check it out when early access is over". I'm also confident that when Humankind drops, the group will look into picking it up. That's a lot of money getting funneled into a genre that these people have spent years saying they have zero interest in.

TL;DR: Free games is good. It's good for me, and it's good for the industry. You're just too blinded by your disdain for EGS to see it.

Last edited:
But of course nobody talks about origin giveaways because EA man bad. Epic man good.

I feel like you've misused a meme here because it doesn't make sense no matter how I spin it. EA has built up a lot of ill will with consumers over the past decade+ while, for many, experience with Epic has mostly come from Fortnite and these free games. Epic's exclusivity deals don't bother me at all but I wrote off EA on general principle like 6+ years ago - and it had nothing to do with them running their own store. If Origin was offering good free games people would talk about them, but almost nothing in their catalog interests me whatsoever even for free. Meanwhile, I got GTAV and Civ VI free from EGS: we aren't talking World of Goo anymore, these are premium games that are now in my library at no cost to me (except my souuuul!).

i dont understand your misunderstanding?! people grab free games, so what? you dont want to fine, no need for another rant...

You......wouldn't?

Picked up WWZ when it went up for free, the group and I have put 100+ hours into it so far

Picked up Civ6 when it went up for free, I've put countless hours into it.

All for free. They were never games I wasn't interested in, they were games I didn't want to purchase.

They aren't adding much value to the community with these free games, this is just optics. And sadly it works, because most are too blinded by "free is free".

Considering how many people are redeeming them, you're wrong. If people are happy and seem it as a positive then that is value to them.

Frankly if I'd ever see anything interesting on their giveaway list that I don't already have...

Good for you? What about the people that don't have the games? You're using your personal situation and opinion and are trying to apply it to thousands of people.

I'd rather buy it elsewhere than give them the time of day.

That is some grade school level pettiness.

And not because I'm "ah so wealthy". Games are not expensive, if you can afford a gaming PC i'm sure you can afford to buy a game every now and then. It's not like there are dozens of great games every year.
They are not giving away brand new AAA games, but games that already through 99% of their market cycle anyway, so wealth is not an argument here.

Its simple really. Someone sees a game for free that they're interested in playing, they redeem it.

I have some games on multiple platforms and I hate it...

Okay then don't get extra copies in the future. Everyone else will do what they want, especially when free games.

And when I want to play them I have to figure out which platform I played them on last, and on which platform I have the most complete version of the game. You can't spin this as a good thing.

That is nitpicking beyond belief. Pretty much all the clients make it easy to figure out what DLC you have. Many people won't care where they last played the game. If you can't figure these things out then fine, don't get free games on other clients and delete the ones that you do have (you can remove games from your Steam account) to save you the trouble.

Redundancy is good, why?

That is such a dumb question, but I'll answer it.

- One account gets hacked.
- One client has faster download speeds.
- One gets overloaded and you can't download any games, see the first few days of Steam sales.
- Other technical issues with one client.

When the cost is nothing, I'll always get extra redundancy when possible. It takes me about 7 seconds to get a free game on EGS/Steam/Origin/Uplay so if they're games I liked or semi interested in playing, I get them. Same with thousands if not millions of others apparently.

But of course nobody talks about origin giveaways because EA man bad. Epic man good.

You're memory is bad, EA's issue with Origin that allowed people to get dozens of games for free did wonders for them. But we all know the reason you're actually complain about free games is the part in bold. The beauty of free things is you don't have to get them, but clearly many people do. Your stance is that if you don't want them, then its stupid, and Epic is bad because you read a reddit/Twitter post somewhere about some alleged wrong doing. Last I checked you were still peddling the whole "can't buy EGS games outside of EGS" and "no regional currency options" narrative despite both of those not being true for over a year.

I feel like you've misused a meme here because it doesn't make sense no matter how I spin it. EA has built up a lot of ill will with consumers over the past decade+ while, for many, experience with Epic has mostly come from Fortnite and these free games. Epic's exclusivity deals don't bother me at all but I wrote off EA on general principle like 6+ years ago - and it had nothing to do with them running their own store. If Origin was offering good free games people would talk about them, but almost nothing in their catalog interests me whatsoever even for free. Meanwhile, I got GTAV and Civ VI free from EGS: we aren't talking World of Goo anymore, these are premium games that are now in my library at no cost to me (except my souuuul!).

Epic publishing & funding = them stealing games. Valve publishing & funding and tethering to Steam = great!

Somehow Valve gets a pass for what they did to Left 4 Dead, Portal, TF2 and DoTA for doing the same things, funding studios and then outright buying them. I can't care personally, but the mental gymnastics some play because of some false outrage can be comical at times.

Of all the big publishers I disdain Ubisoft the most as their quality control seems to be the worst and they run great names through the mud. See Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, Tom Clancy anything ect. At least EA has the decency to mostly kill off an IP without slapping the label on an entirely different game in a different genre.

Last edited:
Publishers control the price of games on Steam. When a game is free on Epic Games Store it's because Epic is compensating the publisher directly.

It takes some serious dedicated to find fault in free games.
It takes serious dedication to deliberately misconstrue what I've written as "finding fault".
I never said it is a bad thing, I said it's value is less than what people make it out to be. And I explained at length why and how is that. But sure go ahead, and ignore every argument. I know you will.
TL;DR: Free games is good. It's good for me, and it's good for the industry. You're just too blinded by your disdain for EGS to see it.
Calling me blinded is ironic since I never said free games were a bad thing.

Most of the free games on EGS have been great. Many have been indie games that either I hadn't heard of, or didn't know enough about to know I might enjoy. Some have games that were on my radar, but I was waiting to hit a certain price while I clear through my backlog. Some were games I didn't think I'd like, but tried anyway because they were free. Quite truthfully, Epic's free games have been one of the best things to ever come my way in the realm of video games. I've played a lot of games I otherwise never would have, and gotten into genres that I would have never expected to enjoy. It's been a remarkably positive thing for me, far beyond just the value of the games themselves.
I'm sorry, but I just have to press X to doubt on this one. You literally loved every free game they have given away, and didn't own any of them already? I'm sorry I just find that very hard to believe.

An argument could be made that this literally strengthens the entire industry. I've started purchasing games that would have never even existed to me without EGS having giving me something similar for free and opening up a new genre. The same has held true for my friends. As an example, myself and a buddy are avid Civ 6 players. We have a regular gaming group that consists of 6 people... the other four wanted nothing to do with the game. We've tried for years to get them to give it a look, with zero success. Then it was free last week on EGS... every single one of them downloaded it. Every single one of them enjoyed it. All four of them went onto buy the expansions. One of them also picked up Old World (a recently released competitor to Civ), and the rest of the group went from not giving a shit about that game to "we'll check it out when early access is over". I'm also confident that when Humankind drops, the group will look into picking it up. That's a lot of money getting funneled into a genre that these people have spent years saying they have zero interest in.
I'm real happy for your success story, no I really am. But this is just anecdotal and not an universal. Most people who like civilization already owns it, you have toadmit that.
And there are demos for many games. You make it sound like epic is giving water to starving people in a drought. That's exactly what I was referring to when I said people give too much credit for the free games.

Considering how many people are redeeming them, you're wrong. If people are happy and seem it as a positive then that is value to them.
Redeeming them to be in their backlog, or just to have them. And don't tell me it ain't true, I've seen numerous people state that exact thing.
Good for you? What about the people that don't have the games? You're using your personal situation and opinion and are trying to apply it to thousands of people.
What about them? If the games were so interesting to them why didn't they buy them already? And please don't insult me by saying money issues, if you have a gaming PC you don't get to call that card.
That is some grade school level pettiness.
No it's called voting with my wallet. Aren't you people constantly urge people to do that? Oh, but when I vote differently than you then it's pettiness? LOL.
Its simple really. Someone sees a game for free that they're interested in playing, they redeem it.
Many people don't even play the games they purchase. They have a mile long backlog. Adding a few free games to it is not a game changer, and certainly doesn't make epic the saviour of the gaming industry that never needed saving by them in the first place.
Okay then don't get extra copies in the future. Everyone else will do what they want, especially when free games.
I'm not, glad we cleared that up.
That is nitpicking beyond belief. Pretty much all the clients make it easy to figure out what DLC you have. Many people won't care where they last played the game. If you can't figure these things out then fine, don't get free games on other clients and delete the ones that you do have (you can remove games from your Steam account) to save you the trouble.
It's quality of life issues, that epic has a pretty bad record at already.
That is such a dumb question, but I'll answer it.
Especially if you misread it. Note that I said what is the point of owning one game on multiple platforms.
- One account gets hacked.
- One client has faster download speeds.
- One gets overloaded and you can't download any games, see the first few days of Steam sales.
- Other technical issues with one client.
I'd need to own all games on multiple platforms for these to be realistic arguments. Having multiple copies of a few games is not quite the safety net I'd be comfortable on relying on. I mean if any of my accounts gets hacked there are dozens of other games on it that I Don't have multiple copies of. Loosing 64 of 65 games in case of a hack doesn't make much of a difference.
When the cost is nothing, I'll always get extra redundancy when possible. It takes me about 7 seconds to get a free game on EGS/Steam/Origin/Uplay so if they're games I liked or semi interested in playing, I get them. Same with thousands if not millions of others apparently.
As I've said "free is free" blinds people.
You're memory is bad, EA's issue with Origin that allowed people to get dozens of games for free did wonders for them.
I literally have no idea what you mean, what issue?
But we all know the reason you're actually complain about free games is the part in bold. The beauty of free things is you don't have to get them, but clearly many people do. Your stance is that if you don't want them, then its stupid,
Except I never said it was stupid, I said it is not as much value to the community as people make it out to be. And it's about making themselves look good while they take away things with their other arm. You know things like consumer choice, platform independence. No biggie.
and Epic is bad because you read a reddit/Twitter post somewhere about some alleged wrong doing.
I don't read either of those cesspools, I make up my own mind based on research and experience.
Last I checked you were still peddling the whole "can't buy EGS games outside of EGS"
I'm not peddling anything, when I last said that some games still couldn't be purchased outside of the EGS. But sure, go ahead and disregard linear time.
and "no regional currency options" narrative despite both of those not being true for over a year.
It's not regional currency, it's regional pricing. I don't know the current state of that since you know, there is no real comparison since the games are exclusive to them.
Epic publishing & funding = them stealing games.
Except epic doesn't publish any games, they pay publishers or independent developers to keep their games off of other platforms, but especially steam.
Yes I know they announced recently that they are going to publish games as well, and that's all and well, if they fund development from the get go, but this is you disregarding linear time again.

Valve publishing & funding and tethering to Steam = great!
Sure there is an epidemic of that. Yeah just as I thought you have to reach back 10 years, to even get some examples that are nothing like what epic has been doing dozens of times in the past year, if not hundreds of times, I lost count.
Somehow Valve gets a pass for what they did to Left 4 Dead, Portal, TF2 and DoTA for doing the same things, funding studios and then outright buying them.
Outright buying studios is hardly the same as passing an envelope to them under the table to keep their games out of other stores. That's literally criminal underworld tactics.
I can't care personally, but the mental gymnastics some play because of some false outrage can be comical at times.
Yeah, you've written a right wall of text for someone who doesn't care.

Back