Elite: Dangerous

I still keep an eye on this despite being intimidated. Where are things at now for brand new noobs that wanted to jump into this thing? How overwhelming is this?

It's been awhile since I jumped in, but I remember the series of tutorials weren't entirely too helpful. They may have improved/updated them since, but the game isn't entirely too complicated. Once you get a comfortable set of controls, it's all downhill from there.

I still keep an eye on this despite being intimidated. Where are things at now for brand new noobs that wanted to jump into this thing? How overwhelming is this?

Just started after owning it for years, its not bad at all, controls as the biggest hurdle.

Some activities are a little more complicated (mining for example really requires a lot of gear) so use the wikis for those.

basic tasks like couriering or transporting are simple and almost completely hands off. I've never once encountered a hostile ship on those runs, and only once was i told ships where sent to intercept me, but never saw them at all.

Just started after owning it for years, its not bad at all, controls as the biggest hurdle.

Some activities are a little more complicated (mining for example really requires a lot of gear) so use the wikis for those.

basic tasks like couriering or transporting are simple and almost completely hands off. I've never once encountered a hostile ship on those runs, and only once was i told ships where sent to intercept me, but never saw them at all.

Basic mining is pretty easy... just need a mining laser, and a refinery. You can use the cargo scoop to pick up fragments - although I would STRONGLY recommend also fitting one of the drone things that will go out and pick the stuff up, becasue otherwise its incredibly slow to scoop each fragment one by one...

While there IS a lot of other stuff you can get to maximise mining, to get started and see if its something you might want to do, is pretty cheap and easy.

Basic mining is pretty easy... just need a mining laser, and a refinery. You can use the cargo scoop to pick up fragments - although I would STRONGLY recommend also fitting one of the drone things that will go out and pick the stuff up, becasue otherwise its incredibly slow to scoop each fragment one by one...

While there IS a lot of other stuff you can get to maximise mining, to get started and see if its something you might want to do, is pretty cheap and easy.

I couldn't figure out what asteriods to shoot, apparently I needed a detailed surface scanner. I'll get around to it eventually.

You can mine almost any asteroid you come across... to find out if you can mine it, fire the laser at it for 3-4 seconds and see if a chunk flies off. I used asteroid belts around planets to mine, doesnt have to be marked as a mining area, any asteroid in the belts can be mined. The chunks are very small so easy to miss. And a pain to cargo scoop, have to move at like 2m/s to not miss them...

You literally dont need anything other than a laser and a refinery. Thats all I had when I started it to see waht it was about. Everything else is to make it easier or more profitable. I have never run across an asteroid I couldnt mine in a belt.

I think there ARE some limits on what asteroids can be mined using the charges and other methods, but not the lasers.

Did 2 mining runs tonight in the Cutter, + the 10 I had in the refinery each run :)

mining 1.png mining 2.png

You can mine almost any asteroid you come across... to find out if you can mine it, fire the laser at it for 3-4 seconds and see if a chunk flies off. I used asteroid belts around planets to mine, doesnt have to be marked as a mining area, any asteroid in the belts can be mined. The chunks are very small so easy to miss. And a pain to cargo scoop, have to move at like 2m/s to not miss them...

You literally dont need anything other than a laser and a refinery. Thats all I had when I started it to see waht it was about. Everything else is to make it easier or more profitable. I have never run across an asteroid I couldnt mine in a belt.

I think there ARE some limits on what asteroids can be mined using the charges and other methods, but not the lasers.

I bought mining lasers and starting pewing some ice asteroids in a belt, didn't get anything after 10 mins so i moved on and went wiki hunting.

where are you mining!

hehehe. Mining the fabled EGG (4x SSD LTD asteroid) in the triple LTD hotspot in the COL sector. http://edtools.ddns.net/miner

I fill up the 512 space in my Cutter in about an hour, hour and a half. Call it 2 with the travelling to sell and the like. Hope to have a carrier by the weekend :)

EDIT: technically I'm mining the son of EGG. Its also a 4x LTD SSD asteroid, a bit further away, but hardly spins, which is better for me.

Use the http://edtools.ddns.net/miner

Then click lt diamond and sort by price

It's a bit of a "glitch" if you want to make the retarded money mining the egg, but with lasers only on my python I could do about 200 an hour.

Let me know if you want to know the "eggsploit"

Hollar at me if you need a ride :D

View attachment 259274
Nice. Fleet carriers did change the game a quite a bit. I have my FC, "Imperial Truth" sitting on top of a VO hotspot surrounded by Thargoid NHSS over in the Pleiades. So I get to hunt Thargoids, and when they inevitably kill me, I can mine for my upkeep and rebuys. Though I am busy these days getting engineering/tech broker unlocks for one of my Alts. The FC has made helping out my alt and other players way easier than it has ever been.

It's been awhile since I jumped in, but I remember the series of tutorials weren't entirely too helpful. They may have improved/updated them since, but the game isn't entirely too complicated. Once you get a comfortable set of controls, it's all downhill from there.
The new tutorials are way better than they were a year ago, and there is a new starter area that is free of veteran players so one can experience Open play with a lot less gratuitous PvP murder than what tends to be the norm in MMO sandbox games.

The new tutorials are way better than they were a year ago, and there is a new starter area that is free of veteran players so one can experience Open play with a lot less gratuitous PvP murder than what tends to be the norm in MMO sandbox games.

I can validate this. Picked up Elite on a whim during the summer sale and I'm like 160 hrs into it since. Yes, there is a learning curve. Yes, it's probably higher than most games. But, if the game clicks and you enjoy it and supplement the in-game tutorials with some guides/youtube help (lots of good ones) you'll be well on your way with minimal frustration (basically, what Pringle said). There's even a default ship module that automatically handles your station take-off/landings until you feel comfortable doing the flying yourself. I didn't even realize I was stuck in the "beginner area" for a few days but it was nice to be able to try things out in a safe little bubble with similar players.

Biggest issue I had to tackle was controls. Some people use keyboard n mouse, others invest in HOTAS or joystick, others use an xbox or PS4 controller. All are viable and it was a good excuse for me to finally dust off and learn how to configure the steam controller.

And just to qualify, I still consider myself a noob despite over 150 hrs since I have yet to: play with flight assist off, land on a planet (other than at a station), master the map, fly most of the ships, fuel scoop more than a few seconds, do any serious exploring, try many of the mission types, etc, etc. But I am still looking forward to flying my spaceship every night. I also stay in solo mode because my current area is a bit busy and I am a scared little commander.

Choose the mode that suits you. I tend to stick to PvE private groups. Just not into PvP all that much. Rather kill Thargoids.

Did 2 mining runs tonight in the Cutter, + the 10 I had in the refinery each run :)

View attachment 257891 View attachment 257892

Wow. That is bonkers and I kinda understand why LTD mining was nerfed out while I was learning the basics in the starter area. Thought I was a boss making about 50 million/hr on Painite.

Choose the mode that suits you. I tend to stick to PvE private groups. Just not into PvP all that much. Rather kill Thargoids.

I'll give open a go once I feel more comfortable in my ability to defend myself (engineering and combat experience) and/or venture into quieter parts of space. For now I just don't want to risk a griefer while mining or investigating the busy engineer sites.

Hey all,

Bought this ages ago but have bounced off it the few times I have tried to get into it, mainly due to controller issues (trying to use a Steam Controller profile but it isn't responding in the game and the settings layout in the game confuses me). Anyway, I was wondering how the progress is going on the FPS component that ED is developing. I could see myself giving the game another try if the first person/on foot exploration/combat and NPC interaction is good. Also, will multiplayer support multiple human players fighting and exploring together in FPS view? That would be awesome.

Thanks.

Odssey is the FPS addition it looks like Planetside 2 but maybe not as good as that. I have the game installed but its the Free version from Epic.

Odssey is the FPS addition it looks like Planetside 2 but maybe not as good as that. I have the game installed but its the Free version from Epic.
Yeah, I know what it is. I am curious if anyone has been able to play it yet as early access/work in progress.

My new year's resolution is to finally give this game a go. Just ordered a Saitek HOTAS to do it right.

If any folks here are playing this online w/ others, would anyone be interested in flying with a noob?

It was a great game, I only spent about ~150 hrs, but I haven't the time to go back. I've got too many other games I'd like to play, plus spring & summer are nearly here, so many hours of yardwork are looming.

Haven’t played in years, but fired it up last night and finished the first set of tutorials to refresh my memory, will probably keep playing around a little more for the next couple of nights to get comfortable.

What's your Steam ID? I think Odyssey will be a blast to play with people once its out.

Should just be Mekanic as well.

Odyssey alpha dropped today, anyone get in on it with the preorder stuff? I'm tempted but still have a shitload I need to do in game before playing with it, so I'm waiting for release for now

biggest hurdle to starting back on this game is trying to get the controls all set up again.

I play with keyboard and mouse, only thing I do is bind a separate button to engage super cruise so I don't have to be lined up with a waypoint to activate it. Other than that...default lol

Should just be Mekanic as well.

Odyssey alpha dropped today, anyone get in on it with the preorder stuff? I'm tempted but still have a shitload I need to do in game before playing with it, so I'm waiting for release for now
I haven't preordered since I'm waiting to see what the community says about the alpha & beta builds.

I've just been unlocking some engineers and now grinding federation rep. Got to lieutenant commander last night, hoping to get my Corvette tonight or tomorrow.

Watching streams and vids of the odyssey alpha has cured my FOMO. No where near the content just yet, but it looks awesome. Of course after fdev gets done breaking everything lol.

I bought this game several years ago and purchased the X4 Foundations while on sale back around Christmas. Sadly I played only several minutes of Elite Dangerous (ED). Getting ready to take the plunge into ED or X4.

Back