Elite Dangerous VR Article

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by maulataur, Jan 1, 2017.

1. maulataur

maulataur n00bie

Kyle, can you do an Elite Dangerous VR performance article sometime?

Thanks.

2. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett HardOCP MasterChef Editor Staff Member

It has been on my list for a while, but not really a priority.

3. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

I've been playing this game with my Rift the last few days. I don't have any way of logging performance data, but on a system of the following spec, GPU usage never gets past about 75%, as measured with Precision XOC. Hardly a scientific measurement, but it appears that it's not that demanding a game. This is with everything set to "Ultra." As aside to Kyle, an article about how you're capturing performance data for your graphs would be helpful, or if I'm just blind and missing it, maybe start including a link to it in your articles.

System Spec:
    Graphics Card: PNY GTX 1080 Founder's Edition (runs at ~1850MHz almost continuously)
    CPU: i7 5820K @ 3.8GHz
    RAM: 32GB @ 2666MHz (I think? Been a while since I messed with it)
    Motherboard: MSI X99A-Gaming-7

I would think a 1070 would be fine, too. I don't have a recent AMD card to test with, but I do have a 290X I could test with, if that's helpful to someone.

4. dhodson66

dhodson66 n00bie

I'd be curious about the 290x

Obviously it's much cheaper than a 1070 or 1080 and most seem to say it would struggle with that game.

buttons likes this.
  5. Rvenger

Rvenger Gawd

I played with an R9 290 and it made me sick at even low VR Settings.

6. dhodson66

dhodson66 n00bie

I assume that was less likely on a higher end video card?

7. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 [H]ard|Gawd

ED in VR is actually fairly demanding. I wouldn't want to play it on anything less than a 1070 or a 980Ti. Can you? Yes, but performance and visuals would be sub-par. Absolutely loving it on my Titan XP though!

Also, this isn't the kind of game that you just jump into and start playing. It requires a good bit of time to learn as it's a pretty involved space sim. It also is a game I would HIGHLY recommend you get a HOTAS for in order to play it right... then plan on spending at least an hour setting up all your controls and learning the interface. It is highly rewarding though given some invested time to learn how to play it and the immersion is fantastic, especially in VR. About as close to becoming a real space pilot in a PC game as you'll ever experience! (Well, that is until Star Citizen is released in 2026.)

jkw likes this.
  8. NamelessPFG

NamelessPFG [H]Lite

Honestly, Elite: Dangerous is a pretty simple space sim to play once you've got a grasp on the controls and interface, and playing it in VR (or with a TrackIR if you can't afford one of the modern HMDs) saves you the hassle of binding buttons to bringing up the various interface panels, since they come up literally at a side glance.

Here's a tip: your most important controls are your 6DoF movement (seriously, map your strafe bindings, you'll need them for landing!), power distribution (not even kidding when I say that the power distributor is arguably the most important part of your ship), engine boost, supercruise, landing gear, targeting, weapon triggers/groups, chaff, and if you use 'em, heatsinks and shield cell banks. Maybe even silent running, if you fancy yourself the stealthy type.

Also, you NEED to bind the galaxy map navigation controls when playing in VR, because in what is a distressing oversight for what is otherwise a fantastically designed-for-VR game, the galaxy map's interface renders at the incorrect depth and is nigh unusable with a mouse. I can only hope they patch that later.

Take some time to figure out your bindings, KB+M and HOTAS alike. Print out a reference sheet of your mappings if you have to, learn 'em on your monitor, and once you have all that committed to muscle memory, slip on the HMD.

Now, if Elite: Dangerous is a simple space sim, what do I consider a complex space sim, then? I'd say the original Independence War is more complex already with the various stations you could view, and Rogue System takes the cake with its "DCS IN SPACE!" approach to systems modeling, down to having two different throttles for different propulsion systems on your ship and the long checklist you'll need to go through starting up all your subsystems before you even undock from a station. Too bad the latter doesn't have VR implemented just yet since it's a pre-alpha.

jkw likes this.
  9. buttons

buttons [H]ard|Gawd

Well. This may be the next game on my list to give a shot. My current gaming rig is a 4ghz fx-8320e with amd fury -- but i have a 390 8gb and 290x 4gb i could also test for you guys if your curious about frame rates. I may even do tests at 3, 3.5,4, and 4.5ghz to see how cpu could effect fps.

Not sure how it compares but eve: valkerie plays completely fluid on the above system (r9 390) and an amd 860k at stock speed with rx 480.