Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Elden Ring garnered 3.4 billion video views in 60 days, making it one of the biggest launches ever on YouTube

https://twitter.com/YouTubeGaming/status/1554542724170276871

ER.png

Japan's Computer and Entertainment Developer Conference (CEDEC) has announced Hidetaka Miyazaki as the recipient of its 'special award, basically the equivalent of a lifetime achievement award...Miyazaki joins a list of truly distinguished creators: the first recipient was Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, while others include Dragon Quest creator Yuji Hori, Namco founder Masaya Nakamura, 'father of the PlayStation' Ken Kutaragi, and Sega's arcade god Yu Suzuki

"Beginning with Demon's Souls, Miyazaki's consistently challenging game design continues to fascinate fans and break new ground within its own genre. Fromsoftware's most recent game, Elden Ring, is a culmination of their previous work that also achieves quality and scale that greatly surpasses what had come before: the game has received extremely high praise from users all over the world and been a huge hit. Hidetaka Miyazaki has won numerous awards, and his titles have attracted admiration from both game players and game creators"...

https://www.pcgamer.com/fromsoft-ce...ceive-the-top-gong-from-japans-industry-body/

well deserved...he's truly a legend...the level design in their games is truly unparalleled, I've never played games that have done it better

I finally beat Malenia- solo, no summoning or spirit ashes!...for awhile she seemed impossible solo with a STR build...she's like an upgraded version of Sister Friede from Dark Souls 3.....I took a video of my victory!...Praise the Sun!

I went back to a previous save and beat her again multiple times!...I beat her with my Bloodhound's Fang+10 weapon at level 133...I didn't want to use the Rivers of Blood weapon (I hate the reach) or raise my Vigor/Endurance levels to crazy levels to beat her...just shows that every boss is beatable solo once you learn their moves...

Interesting that powerful STR weapons don't do all that much damage when enemies are stunned/crumpled/parried, too. I was never sure if that was just because I was using DEX stuff or what. Feels like in the other games you'd take huge chunks of damage with those types of critical hits. In Elden Ring, not so much.

Interesting that powerful STR weapons don't do all that much damage when enemies are stunned/crumpled/parried, too. I was never sure if that was just because I was using DEX stuff or what. Feels like in the other games you'd take huge chunks of damage with those types of critical hits. In Elden Ring, not so much.

technically the Bloodhound's Fang is a Dex weapon, I just used it more with my STR build based on the bleed damage...I'm sure the best STR weapons will deal out massive damage with those critical hits

Am curious about the NPC that allows you to complete Varre's questline without invasions. I did the invasion stuff in my first pass, but left it alone in NG+.
I just talked to Varre in my game and he's still telling me to use the fingers (with nobody else in sight), so the NPC is probably tucked away in some obscure place.

Ah, okay - someone already found it. You have to go to the Writheblood Ruins on the Altus Plateau. There's a summon sign for an NPC that you can invade that will unlock the rest of the Varre's questline. It basically treats killing that enemy like you just used 3 fingers.

I don't use summoning but it seems overly convoluted in Elden Ring...what's the point of all those summoning pools?...can't I just drop a sign or look for others signs like the other From Soft games?

I don't really know a ton about how MP works (other than finger invasions), but you have to activate those little summon pool statues in order to summon help of any sort. It works for ashes, too. That keeps people from just running around with a summoned ash all of the time.

I don't really know a ton about how MP works (other than finger invasions), but you have to activate those little summon pool statues in order to summon help of any sort. It works for ashes, too. That keeps people from just running around with a summoned ash all of the time.

the spirit ashes only work in specific areas (an icon appears on the screen in areas where it is active)...but the co-op summoning seems convoluted...why are summoning pools needed?...can't players just drop signs anywhere in the world...there's like a million of those summoning pool statues all over the map

still no ray-tracing???...it's been almost 6 months since release!...I understand that bug fixes, rebalancing and performance issues are more important but it's been 6 months!

I finished my first playthrough a few days ago (241 hours)...I surprisingly was able to get all the endings (for the Achievements) by going back to an earlier save...I didn't complete a lot of the side quests (Ranni, Fia, Patches etc) as I wasn't using a walkthrough and missed some of the steps (I did end up finishing Ranni's quest for the Age of Stars ending by going back to an earlier save)...the final boss Radagon/Elden Beast was pretty easy compared to some of the late game bosses...I ended up getting 95% of the Achievements (40/42) as there was one I couldn't get even by reverting to an older save..."Acquire all legendary sorceries and incantations", I couldn't get that one because one of the sorceries required Sorceress Sellen to be alive and she was chained up in my earliest save and I couldn't free her

overall in terms of difficulty (solo, no summoning or spirit ashes etc) I would have put Maliketh, the Black Blade in the top spot but because we only have to fight him at half-health (he shares a health bar with his Phase 1 Beast Clergyman form) he gets bumped down a notch...he was really difficult even at half-health and would have been ridiculous at full health...but because of that reason Malenia gets the top spot on my list...I can beat her pretty regularly now but she's definitely a nice challenge...she has all the annoying traits that give me trouble- quick Bloodborne speed, grab move, heals herself with every hit, Scarlet Rot poison in Phase 2

and one other note, I played the entire game with kb/m and dominated (if you look at the Malenia boss fight video I posted a few posts back you can see kb/m prompts)...don't let anyone tell you that you can only play this or other similar games with a controller...all you need to do is take a few minutes and re-map the controls to your liking...yes the game was built with controllers as the main option but kb/m is more than viable

I don't use summoning but it seems overly convoluted in Elden Ring...what's the point of all those summoning pools?...can't I just drop a sign or look for others signs like the other From Soft games?
When you activate one of those summoning pools you're basically adding that location to a list of places that you're willing to be summoned to.
In order to actually be summoned, you use your small golden effigy to place a sign saying "hey, I'm willing to be summoned right now".
That sign goes to nearby summoning pools that you've activated.
When another player needs help, they use their "furlcalling finger remedy" and they will see your sign at the summoning pool.

Alternatively, you can use a "tarnished's furled finger" to leave a summon sign at an arbitrary location on the map. Then another player uses their "furlcalling finger remedy" and they'll see your sign on the ground (assuming they're in the same location as you).

I would absolutely recommend jumping into co-op games and helping others fight bosses. It's some of the most fun I've had in Elden Ring. However, the player base has really died down so you might be waiting a while to be summoned. Whereas during the peak you'd be summoned within seconds of placing a sign.

Last edited:
still no ray-tracing???...it's been almost 6 months since release!...I understand that bug fixes, rebalancing and performance issues are more important but it's been 6 months!
Hate to break it to ya, but ray tracing ain't happening. Someone whose job is to get you hyped up fooled you. It was never in the cards, and trying to shoehorn it in now won't do anyone any good. It's just a waste of effort at this point. If From truly intended RT to be there, it would have launched or shown up in a patch already.

Hate to break it to ya, but ray tracing ain't happening. Someone whose job is to get you hyped up fooled you. It was never in the cards, and trying to shoehorn it in now won't do anyone any good. It's just a waste of effort at this point. If From truly intended RT to be there, it would have launched or shown up in a patch already.

ray-tracing is definitely coming...my guess is it'll be included alongside the first DLC...Doom Eternal was released in March 2020 but the ray-tracing patch didn't arrive until June 2021 (ray-tracing support was announced at launch)

crafting Preserving Boluses (cures Scarlet Rot buildup) is weird in that Sacramental Buds are one of the ingredients...but there only a limited number of Sacramental Buds in the world- around 70 (they don't respawn after resting at a Site of Grace)...so there's a limit to how many you can actually craft...70 is more than enough for the single player part but what about for those playing a lot of pvp?

ray-tracing is definitely coming...my guess is it'll be included alongside the first DLC...Doom Eternal was released in March 2020 but the ray-tracing patch didn't arrive until June 2021 (ray-tracing support was announced at launch)
I hope so. I'm waiting on that before playing... If they never release it, we'll I guess I'll get the game dirt cheap! :D

I hope so. I'm waiting on that before playing... If they never release it, we'll I guess I'll get the game dirt cheap! :D

I was holding out for that as well but the game was getting too many amazing reviews and I couldn't wait any more...hopefully RT comes soon, it's an incredible game

Bandai Namco's financial results for the first quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2023, are up 21.5% on a year-over-year basis, mostly thanks to Elden Ring...the report also includes an update on Elden Ring sales, with shipments reaching 16.6 million units as of June...this means that From Software's game shipped 3.2 million units in the last quarter

After 10-ish hours in 2 weeks in Spider-Man Remastered and kind of trash talking it I decided to jump back into Elden Ring to see if it's still fun. Ended up putting in like 20 hours in 4 days :eek: and am hopelessly addicted again.

Started a Wretch with the goal of doing a Faith build and am now running around with a Vulgar Militia Axe and chucking fireballs. It's a lot more difficult than the Int Sorcery build I tried before but it should equal out somewhat once I have some better stats and equipment.

Bandai Namco will be at the Tokyo Game Show next month...hopefully this means an Elden Ring DLC announcement

Attachments

• Tokyo-Game-Show-2022-Schedule.jpg
    Tokyo-Game-Show-2022-Schedule.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 1
Even though I don't care about a new Armored Core (not my jam at all), I hope they are working on another one. I love the Souls games as much as the next guy, but we have enough Souls'ish content for now. At least after any potential Elden Ring DLC. Spread the love to some other genres.

Even though I don't care about a new Armored Core (not my jam at all), I hope they are working on another one. I love the Souls games as much as the next guy, but we have enough Souls'ish content for now. At least after any potential Elden Ring DLC. Spread the love to some other genres.

I didn't realise it at first, but AC actually has a TON of commonality with Souls games. Yes, its much more range and vertically focused, but going back and watching old PS1 and PS2 gameplay, its surprising to see how similarly the two completely different franchises play.

That said, I totally get how some fans of medieval/gothic horror fantasy may NOT be interested in techno future robot fighting.

That said, I totally get how some fans of medieval/gothic horror fantasy may NOT be interested in techno future robot fighting.

I've been wanting to see From Software branch out and try something a bit different...yes technically this is not different in that Armored Core was around pre-Dark Souls but since I never played it it'll feel new to me

Elden Ring art books

As has been standard practice for FromSoft's games since Dark Souls, Elden Ring's concept art is to be collected in a lavish book...but this time the game's so large, the art book is coming in two 400-page volumes...both will be released on November 30 in Japan, with worldwide releases inevitable but yet to be confirmed...Volume 1 focuses on concept art of locations, NPCs and armour, while volume 2 contains art of enemies, weapons and items

The two books are available separately, or you can sell a kidney and get the so-called Ultra Edition: this comes with a box to hold both books, and a framed piece of art showing Godfrey...

https://www.pcgamer.com/start-saving-up-now-for-the-800-page-elden-ring-art-books/

I'm debating keeping it as a sealed collectible and reselling it 5 years from now.

Last edited:
I finally was able to get over the initial hump of this game on my third character, the vagabond, guess I just needed a sword and a shield. I just beat Godrick at level 38 on my second try, needed the help of the npc and a guide to get through the castle, these games are just not my forte but I really want to experience this game. I still suck and still have a lot to learn about the various mechanics but I’m determined to make it through!

Also side note, one thing was really weird where my game kept crashing in certain areas, steam file verification found it and fixed it! That’s a first for me.

Still haven't been able to touch this game again after getting to all the dragons near the end. Felt like the game was a cakewalk, then the difficulty started ramping up exponentially fast at the end at it just wasn't fun anymore.

I am fully aware that it is a "git gud" scenario lol

I am fully aware that it is a "git gud" scenario lol
I'm gonna tell you, I'm as far away as "Git Gud" as they get. Use the mechanics in the game and there's just a few bosses/encountered that took more than 5 or so, tries.

My combo was Mimic Tear and Bleed weapons. That shit carried me throughout the endgame, as well as the crab-dip and perfumer stuff at the very end.

Back