Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

ER.png

Does the visual upgrade get rid of the story? Is that why you're waiting for it?

No, but it's an old game and since I have a 4k oled screen and a 3080, I want maximum visual quality in my games. I'm not in a hurry to play it.

I'm not sure what happened, but I have about 80% less of the loading hitches and rubber banding situations. Still happens once in a while, but almost gone now.

I feel kinda stuck for the first time. I’m mostly done with Liurnia but the tag team boss in Caelid South is kicking my ass. I guess I need to learn how to parry but the timing feels weird to me. I’m level 56 and got the banished knight armour and am using magic Katanas I found in Caelid which I did a respec to use as I needed INT.

Otherwise where should I go? Underground or head to Altus and see if I find something interesting there? Or just grind out a few levels?

So you've got the entire eastern zone which is XP heavy at that level. You've got the two accessible underground areas as well, which is closer to your level. By the time you do all that you should easily be around level 70-80 and be able to deal with the donkey rider.

Although honestly, he's pretty easy once you figure out the instant death attacks, and just stay on your horse spawning helpers as much as possible.

So you've got the entire eastern zone which is XP heavy at that level. You've got the two accessible underground areas as well, which is closer to your level. By the time you do all that you should easily be around level 70-80 and be able to deal with the donkey rider.

Although honestly, he's pretty easy once you figure out the instant death attacks, and just stay on your horse spawning helpers as much as possible.
I haven’t even gotten to that part yet, I’m stuck at the Lion/Crucible Knight. Specifically the Knight. Maybe I’m just not being patient enough.

Wow … so are all the “hidden path … therefore attack” messages telling the truth? You just keep attacking and eventually walls break? I always hit them once or twice, nothing happens, and I move on

Wow … so are all the “hidden path … therefore attack” messages telling the truth? You just keep attacking and eventually walls break? I always hit them once or twice, nothing happens, and I move on
No. Most of the walls like that are pretty obvious from just looking at the surroundings as well. In this case, it's either just bugged, or they didn't want to push an update to the entire map file and just gave it a bunch of HP, not expecting people would waste their time whacking it for fifteen minutes.

Whats everyones favorite summons so far? I have the wolves, the jellyfish, rotten stray (fav), a bunch of meandering guys, forget the name. Great so far. Dont forget you can actually UPGRADE your summons.
Demi Humans, or as I call them after upgrading mildly, the Ooogah-Boogah Gang-Bang Squad

Just beat Renalla. Lvl 52 now.

I think I am finally past the bitch & scream portion of my elden ring career.

Using a +4 golden halbard in 2h . Thing fucking wrecks.

Carian Knight Set for armor.

Last edited:
View attachment 454863

Flying Dragon Greyll downed. First try tonight.

Just beat Renalla. Lvl 52 now.

I think I am finally past the bitch & scream portion of my elden ring career.

Using a +4 golden halbard in 2h . Thing fucking wrecks.

Carian Knight Set for armor.

I used that weapon for half the game. Brass shield to swap in as needed to tank hits. at +10 it was pretty good, that was at the point that I decided to start respeccing and trying other builds and found that pure INT felt the most fun to play.

I used that weapon for half the game. Brass shield to swap in as needed to tank hits. at +10 it was pretty good, that was at the point that I decided to start respeccing and trying other builds and found that pure INT felt the most fun to play.
See, I feel like I'm missing something. I have zero spells. I summon two skeletons when I can, but that's it. I have some Bloodhound Sword and the Brass Shield. I have a Barricade something-or-other on the shield. THat's it. So its just swing, swing, swing, swing, etc.

See, I feel like I'm missing something. I have zero spells. I summon two skeletons when I can, but that's it. I have some Bloodhound Sword and the Brass Shield. I have a Barricade something-or-other on the shield. THat's it. So its just swing, swing, swing, swing, etc.
Same here. Barely using the ashes of war with my stuff too. Incantations, I have barely tried. I think there's more here than we think.

Many are purchased, but just as many drop from bosses. A lot of faith spells for instance, come from turning in prayer books to the giant talking turtle @ Church of Vows

Spamming magic from distance doesn't feel like EZmode? I'm curious because that was my concern when considering which class for my first run-through.

I went pure STR greatsword build, but then again always having to be under the feet of the bosses swinging at kneecaps does get old.

Last edited:
Today is the first day where I've had a chance to put some serious time in. So far the bosses I've encountered feel either extremely easy or extremely tough (mainly durable - I'm just not doing any damage) with very little in-between. I'm left to assume I need to get my stats up before trying the tough ones. I'm using a Lordsworn's Greatsword at the moment and I feel pretty good using it. I figure I'll probably explore some more before I start dumping a ton of resources into it, though.

Spamming magic from distance doesn't feel like EZmode? I'm curious because that was my concern when considering which class for my first run-through.

I went pure STR greatsword build, but then again always having to be under the feet of the bosses swinging at kneecaps does get old.
I didn't play far away most of the time. I was using the Dark Moon Greatsword with the Carian Sceptre and my go to magic spell was Adula's Moonblade up close, big frontal arc melee. I also liked Loretta's Greatbow spell that you get from Haligtree. Azur Comet is EZ mode on large enemies or bosses, if it is a direct hit. It's bad against smaller, agile enemies. I liked the Dark Moon Greatsword buff too and applying Frost damage. I still prefer to play up close. And it was much less EZMODE than Uchigatana with Hoarfrost stomp (which is now meganerfed, thank god). That shit broke the game. I haven't logged back in in a week but I read spellcasting got some buffs, which I think is cool. Hard mode in ER to me is using a Colossal weapon and being good enough to dodge roll through everything and have zero reliance on ranged, shields, magic, etc. Or better yet, power stancing 2 gigantic weapons. Looks badass, but probably not for me, nor the faint of heart in general.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Is Godrick's hitbox bugged or something? Multiple times now I'm swinging away point blank and no hits are registering. Does he have i-frames that I'm unaware of?

Is Godrick's hitbox bugged or something? Multiple times now I'm swinging away point blank and no hits are registering. Does he have i-frames that I'm unaware of?
Only iframe i'm aware of is when he takes someone and does the grab flame thing. There is a decent period of time where you can't do any damage to him.

Only iframe i'm aware of is when he takes someone and does the grab flame thing. There is a decent period of time where you can't do any damage to him.
Yeah that must've been it. I must say, Godrick was sooooo much easier than Margit. I mean it helps that I'm leveled up and with better gear than I had with Margit. But he's also so much slower and less aggressive than Margit. I feel like the order of these bosses should've been switched around.

Yeah that must've been it. I must say, Godrick was sooooo much easier than Margit. I mean it helps that I'm leveled up and with better gear than I had with Margit. But he's also so much slower and less aggressive than Margit. I feel like the order of these bosses should've been switched around.
Hah, that was my experience as well. Took about five or ten tries. Margit was like 300.

I feel like the order of these bosses should've been switched around.
I think they were trying to replicate Father Gascoigne (from Bloodborne) in this game, where the first mandatory boss is a difficult one which teaches players "how to play". Father Gascoigne has caused lots of players to rage quit that game and never return. But for those who didn't lose patience and stayed with it, that boss fight rewired years of Souls muscle memory and taught players how to pretty much play that game. If you could beat Father Gascoigne you could beat that entire game no problem.

I never had any issues with Father Gascoigne. There were lots of places to hide and heal when shit hit the fan. Now Vicar Amelia and Rom on the other hand...I struggled with those two. I cruised through the other bosses, though.

With Elden Ring, I'm still finding the bosses to be either a breeze or incredibly spongy. I'm enjoying just being able to wander around and do stuff, though. If a boss really kicks my ass and it doesn't seem like I'm doing any damage, I just bail and plan to come back later.

I'm at about 80 hours now, and i've likely got another 20-30 easy from what i'm seeing. That being said, i'm 100% of the opinion now that I will never touch this game again. It was good, but not great. The more I play, the more I just want to go do a new playthrough of Sekiro TBH.

I'm just not a fan of the leveling aspect, and how that absolutely kills the challenge/difficulty if you go into an area over-leveled because you chose to do other stuff first. Sekiro on the other hand still had cool optional areas, but it didn't matter much, everything was always a new challenge/learning experience. Also, this game has about a million item drops, but TBH it's just overwhelming. I guess I just prefer the pure skill checks of Sekiro which really reminds me of older Nintendo games.

I'm at about 80 hours now, and i've likely got another 20-30 easy from what i'm seeing. That being said, i'm 100% of the opinion now that I will never touch this game again. It was good, but not great. The more I play, the more I just want to go do a new playthrough of Sekiro TBH.

I'm just not a fan of the leveling aspect, and how that absolutely kills the challenge/difficulty if you go into an area over-leveled because you chose to do other stuff first. Sekiro on the other hand still had cool optional areas, but it didn't matter much, everything was always a new challenge/learning experience. Also, this game has about a million item drops, but TBH it's just overwhelming. I guess I just prefer the pure skill checks of Sekiro which really reminds me of older Nintendo games.
Man I'm still tying up loose ends in Limgrave and maybe half way through Cailid or whatever it is. XD

like this

I like the variation of item drops in this game...if you think this is overwhelming, don't try Nioh. That game is like thousands of items you'll never use.

I think the point of Elden Ring was to make a Souls game that could appeal to the masses. Open world gives the possibility of going out and leveling up and doing other things if a challenge in the main content is too much for you at a given point in time. I think that's pretty cool, but I know it's not for the diehards. I went back to try DS3 after finishing Elden Ring and I didn't last very long, it just felt...bland comparatively. The design in Elden Ring is just top notch, biomes, enemy types, the overwhelming nature of it all and the ability to go wherever the hell you want from the minute you start the game. It makes Dark Souls seems super linear and outdated to me, in comparison. Can't wait to see what FromSoftware does next, but I'd be perfectly OK with a Bloodborne remake too.

I'm not ultra far into Elden Ring yet, but I can see how people would favor other Fromsoft games instead and vice versa. With the Souls games (and Bloodborne and usually Sekiro, too), you can hit a wall with a boss and there isn't much you can do about it. You basically just have to keep trying or potentially grind out a couple levels to turn the tide. You can't progress otherwise. With ER, you can just head elsewhere and there are still plenty of things you can do. If you feel underpowered, you probably are, and you can significantly change the meta by gaining levels. They differs a little from the "git gud" mentality of the Souls games, but I can appreciate that. I forget the actual stat, but something like 15% of DS3 players never beat the first major enemy in the game. The one you fight in the first 10 minutes. ER gives people a chance to experience the game without hammering them with something quite as daunting. If you're a serious business Souls player, it still seems possible to beat literally any enemy at any time. It might take forever and it might be tough as hell, but it seems like you can still mostly make the game what you want.

I'm not ultra far into Elden Ring yet, but I can see how people would favor other Fromsoft games instead and vice versa. With the Souls games (and Bloodborne and usually Sekiro, too), you can hit a wall with a boss and there isn't much you can do about it. You basically just have to keep trying or potentially grind out a couple levels to turn the tide. You can't progress otherwise. With ER, you can just head elsewhere and there are still plenty of things you can do. If you feel underpowered, you probably are, and you can significantly change the meta by gaining levels. They differs a little from the "git gud" mentality of the Souls games, but I can appreciate that. I forget the actual stat, but something like 15% of DS3 players never beat the first major enemy in the game. The one you fight in the first 10 minutes. ER gives people a chance to experience the game without hammering them with something quite as daunting. If you're a serious business Souls player, it still seems possible to beat literally any enemy at any time. It might take forever and it might be tough as hell, but it seems like you can still mostly make the game what you want.
While true about being able to explore elsewhere, it's still possible to hit a wall with a particular boss simply because no amount of leveling or upgrading will get you past the limits of your learning the boss' moveset and how to deal with it. It does seem like a lot of people of an urgency to race toward Stormveil Castle at the start of the game, though, since the only guide the game provides is constantly pointing there (light trails from sites of grace). I was watching an It'sAGundam stream last night and his friend Xiltix mentioned he was only level 23 and trying to beat Godrick, and that he has not found a place to acquire more sorceries yet.

While true about being able to explore elsewhere, it's still possible to hit a wall with a particular boss simply because no amount of leveling or upgrading will get you past the limits of your learning the boss' moveset and how to deal with it. It does seem like a lot of people of an urgency to race toward Stormveil Castle at the start of the game, though, since the only guide the game provides is constantly pointing there (light trails from sites of grace). I was watching an It'sAGundam stream last night and his friend Xiltix mentioned he was only level 23 and trying to beat Godrick, and that he has not found a place to acquire more sorceries yet.

The sheer difficulty of the game will keep certain people from completing it, but it also feels like you'd know that going in. It's no secret who made the game and their reputation. I find it a little weird that they point you toward Margit almost immediately (and toss the Tree Sentinel at you almost instantly), but to me that tells me I need to move along and level up + get better gear. Just like I don't need to be fighting the Deathclaws outside the first town in Fallout New Vegas or messing with the Giants in Skyrim. There are little caves, minibosses, loot chests, ruins, etc. all over the place. If a boss is wrecking you, just go somewhere else. I've just been walking/riding around and have only run into only 1-2 overworld foes that are particularly daunting. Of those, I could actually just ride away from them. It's still a Fromsoft game, but I'm not using any guides or looking anything up. I still don't actually know how to summon these damned spirits I keep finding...but I'm doing fine and have killed at least a dozen enemies with full-screen lifebars.

like this
You know what menu this game is missing? When you die on your horse, not only should the yes or no option of using a health pot should appear, but also a confirm box. And perhaps a TOA pop up that you need to scroll. Perhaps even a box that pops up asking if I want a car wash for just one more health pot. That way I have a far better chance of my mouse icon sliding over to another screen, getting stuck there, and my guy just spins in circles getting annihilated by dragons.

That's what is missing.

You know what menu this game is missing? When you die on your horse, not only should the yes or no option of using a health pot should appear, but also a confirm box. And perhaps a TOA pop up that you need to scroll. Perhaps even a box that pops up asking if I want a car wash for just one more health pot. That way I have a far better chance of my mouse icon sliding over to another screen, getting stuck there, and my guy just spins in circles getting annihilated by dragons.

That's what is missing.
i agree. perhaps a short tutorial video that pops up (while the game continues running in the background) that explains why a potion is needed to summon the horse would be helpful as well.

I'm done for a bit. I threw out my back so I'm home today. I have four hours on that decaying dragon in Caelid. I get it to 10% every time.

I think my build is screwed up. I have medium load, but it takes three seconds for me to swing. I run out of stam by the third swing so I just sit there. I've had the same weapon for like thirty levels now. Shield is like forty levels. For low level stuff around the map its fine. But for bosses forget. I spend 80% of the time waiting for stamina to replenish.

I'm done for a bit. I threw out my back so I'm home today. I have four hours on that decaying dragon in Caelid. I get it to 10% every time.

I think my build is screwed up. I have medium load, but it takes three seconds for me to swing. I run out of stam by the third swing so I just sit there. I've had the same weapon for like thirty levels now. Shield is like forty levels. For low level stuff around the map its fine. But for bosses forget. I spend 80% of the time waiting for stamina to replenish.
I take it you're using a heavy weapon, possibly a colossal one? If you want to swing faster and/or consume less stamina you need to switch to a lighter weapon.

Have you been upgrading your weapon and shield? +25 is the highest you can go. The Greatsword has over 400 base damage at +25 compared to 164 at +0, for example, with STR scaling improving to a 'B' from a 'C'.

I'm about level 120 and I just hit the consecrated snowfield. Rivers of blood + Mimic is OP as hell and made some bosses get annhilated in seconds.

I think for NG+ I'm going to try a full INT/magic build.

Back