Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

i saw someone mention (don't think it was here, steam forums maybe?) that because of the way elden ring handles usb controllers (i.e. not properly) if you're using a wireless Xbox controller w/ rechargeable AA batteries like Eneloops, it will occasionally drop connection for extremely short almost imperceptible durations because the voltage from those batteries can be a bit low.. Elden Ring freaks the fuck out when that happens instead of just dropping controller input for a few milliseconds and might be why its crashing. sure enough i've been using Eneloops. i switched them out for a pair of more expensive Duracell ones i had and it hasn't crashed in like 6 hours.

of course it might crash in the next 10 minutes i play but eh, just throwing it out there in case anyone here runs into that.

i saw someone mention (don't think it was here, steam forums maybe?) that because of the way elden ring handles usb controllers (i.e. not properly) if you're using a wireless Xbox controller w/ rechargeable AA batteries like Eneloops, it will occasionally drop connection for extremely short almost imperceptible durations because the voltage from those batteries can be a bit low.. Elden Ring freaks the fuck out when that happens instead of just dropping controller input for a few milliseconds and might be why its crashing. sure enough i've been using Eneloops. i switched them out for a pair of more expensive Duracell ones i had and it hasn't crashed in like 6 hours.

of course it might crash in the next 10 minutes i play but eh, just throwing it out there in case anyone here runs into that.
Nonsense.
Elden Ring doesn't "handle" USB controllers.
An application (Elden Ring in this case) doesn't know (and doesn't need to) about voltages or anything related to batteries of controllers. This belong to HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which the game does not have access to.
The game only accesses high level API (XInput, DirectInput and Steam Input) on Windows PC for controller support.

The more I'm reading about this game the more I'm getting interested.
I never liked Soul-like games. It was too linear for my taste and I missed the open world that rewards you for exploring a cave you stumbled upon.
And while I was not fond of insanely hard monsters in Souls-games, open world RPG I always played on very hard mode for some reason. Exploring and killing hard monsters with a light/no story sounds refreshing.

I also loved The Witcher 3 but the game was never ending because of its story so I never finished it (waiting for the visual upgrade and I'll pick it up again), even though the I liked the story.

I never liked Soul-like games. It was too linear for my taste and I missed the open world that rewards you for exploring a cave you stumbled upon.
And while I was not fond of insanely hard monsters in Souls-games, open world RPG I always played on very hard mode for some reason. Exploring and killing hard monsters with a light/no story sounds refreshing.

I also loved The Witcher 3 but the game was never ending because of its story so I never finished it (waiting for the visual upgrade and I'll pick it up again), even though the I liked the story.

Does the visual upgrade get rid of the story? Is that why you're waiting for it?

Nonsense.
Elden Ring doesn't "handle" USB controllers.
An application (Elden Ring in this case) doesn't know (and doesn't need to) about voltages or anything related to batteries of controllers. This belong to HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which the game does not have access to.
The game only accesses high level API (XInput, DirectInput and Steam Input) on Windows PC for controller support.
did you read my post? i didn't say anything about elden ring knowing about voltages. i said my controller might have been dropping connection periodically, the DISCONNECTIONS could be what was causing the crashes (if there's a bug in elden ring and/or its implementation of steam input in how it responds to rapid controller connection and disconnection.)

did you read my post? i didn't say anything about elden ring knowing about voltages. i said my controller might have been dropping connection periodically, the DISCONNECTIONS could be what was causing the crashes (if there's a bug in elden ring and/or its implementation of steam input in how it responds to rapid controller connection and disconnection.)
Yeah, I read it all right.
......because of the way elden ring handles usb controllers (i.e. not properly) if you're using a wireless Xbox controller w/ rechargeable AA batteries....

Every game does this with rechargeables in the Xbox wireless controller for me. Framerates drop to 5 fps all of a sudden and I know I need to switch out the batts.

I bought a PS5 controller to get around it but I don't like it as well as the Xbox controller. The Xbox controller has rubber grips on the back whereas the PS5 controller is all plastic and kind of cheap feeling.

obviously i meant "how elden ring handles the api that handles controllers", come on now. :rolleyes:
Yeah, sure. Lol.
The game doesn't "handle" API. It accesses it. API is controlled and managed by kernel. And the kernel accesses hardware through HAL.

I gave up on Elden ring. Tried using keyboard and mouse to play; But that implementation is terrible in this game. Moved on to my xbox wired controller and although it plays much better using a controller, the game would randomly stop the left stick from working and replace it with the dpad. Only solution is to unplug and plug it back in. After doing this for 3 days I just said F it and uninstalled the game. I doubt I will revisit it. Not my type of game typically. Just was curious what all the hype was about.

I gave up on Elden ring. Tried using keyboard and mouse to play; But that implementation is terrible in this game. Moved on to my xbox wired controller and although it plays much better using a controller, the game would randomly stop the left stick from working and replace it with the dpad. Only solution is to unplug and plug it back in. After doing this for 3 days I just said F it and uninstalled the game. I doubt I will revisit it. Not my type of game typically. Just was curious what all the hype was about.
Sounds like an issue with your controller since it is impossible to remap movement to the D-pad in the game. When a similar thing happened to me before I found corrosion on the USB pins. It worked fine after I cleaned them up.

Yeah, sure. Lol.
The game doesn't "handle" API. It accesses it. API is controlled and managed by kernel. And the kernel accesses hardware through HAL.
ok, now you're just trolling.

anyway, i posted it in case it might help someone else, too.

https://nitter.actionsack.com/eldenring/status/1504019697909616642
1647438753243.png

Sounds like an issue with your controller since it is impossible to remap movement to the D-pad in the game. When a similar thing happened to me before I found corrosion on the USB pins. It worked fine after I cleaned them up.
Highly unlikely. The same controller works just fine with every other game I tried on my PC. And I'm not the only one having that issue it appears (by a quick search online).

I would lay cash money that this is your game.

So I've got six hours on Flying Dragon Greyll. I can knock him down at least once. About half the time I get knock him down twice. About ten times now I've got him to about 10%. I just can't gnaw it out. I get clipped by his tail or he does that spin thing.

Am I just not geared/leveled enough?

gjnbfdslkgsfd.png

jkgdfsjklfdskjgfsdkj.png

I'm constantly out of stamina. I make a few swings and need to run in circles at his feet to rebuilt. and the swing time is forever.

Would I be best to drop the shield? I've tried going in naked, but that didn't help.

Perhaps farm those militia dudes for a few hours instead, gain a few levels, then come back?

I killed the first dragon second try. this dude is a few steps up it seems.

So I've got six hours on Flying Dragon Greyll. I can knock him down at least once. About half the time I get knock him down twice. About ten times now I've got him to about 10%. I just can't gnaw it out. I get clipped by his tail or he does that spin thing.

Am I just not geared/leveled enough?

View attachment 454474

View attachment 454475

I'm constantly out of stamina. I make a few swings and need to run in circles at his feet to rebuilt. and the swing time is forever.

Would I be best to drop the shield? I've tried going in naked, but that didn't help.

Perhaps farm those militia dudes for a few hours instead, gain a few levels, then come back?

I killed the first dragon second try. this dude is a few steps up it seems.
Tbh I didn't kill him until I was like level 80. Higher stats, more health, more damage, more stamina. He's not a low level dragon.

Gotta remember, this game doesn't have a standard progression that just because you can kill some things in an area (like Caelid for example) that you should be able to kill anything there.

Case and point, that giant MFin Gargoyle dude outside of the waypoint north of where you are now. That guy is no joke.

Last edited:
Tbh I didn't kill him until I was like level 80. Higher stats, more health, more damage, more stamina. He's not a low level dragon.
bah. THe first time I fought him I was about 10% from killing him. I've been hooked since. I know I can do it, it just something stupid that gets me each time.

alrighty, level up some it is then.

bah. THe first time I fought him I was about 10% from killing him. I've been hooked since. I know I can do it, it just something stupid that gets me each time.

alrighty, level up some it is then.
Honestly as much as I like this game, I'm not a hardcore DS veteran. My solution to losing in these games has always been to go level up some more, rather than just bang my head against the wall until I "GIT GUD". That comes with time, which, from the point that I started ER to the point that I called it quits at 115 hours, I definitely got much much better in general. And I completed the game around 145 and I'm now reading about people going well over Level 200 before attempting to beat the game and I'm thinking GEEZ, some people are REALLY trying to take the challenge out of the game with that much cushioning.

aww, was hoping some of the worst loading/area stutters would be gone with the patch, but nope, still there. and this is after upgrading from my 2080 ti to a 3080 ti, lol. oh well, at least it's only really bad in certain small areas of the game.

Just got done beating Margit after about 10 tries. Great feeling. To be fair I’m over-leveled at level 30, but I’ve accepted I don’t have the patience for an extremely difficult game. So I’m playing this a little more like an action RPG and just leveling to my comfort level. Any way beating Margit and JUST getting into Stomrveil castle and an update drops and kicks me out…come on. The game is just starting to deepen its hooks in me :D

Just got done beating Margit after about 10 tries. Great feeling. To be fair I’m over-leveled at level 30, but I’ve accepted I don’t have the patience for an extremely difficult game. So I’m playing this a little more like an action RPG and just leveling to my comfort level. Any way beating Margit and JUST getting into Stomrveil castle and an update drops and kicks me out…come on. The game is just starting to deepen its hooks in me :D
Alright that black knight in stormveil castle is bullshit :D

Edit: Hell yes. Just got him.

Last edited:
Some nice fixes and additions in there. Even if performance is the same...!
Looks like some good buffs for SORCERY, which is great to hear - that was my most fun build through my multiple respecs around lvl 150.

Big ole NERF to the Mimic Tear Ash as well as Hoarfrost Stomp. Some people are definitely going to be sad to see the most OP combo in the game crippled, but I'm very glad it was done.

The patch buffed my build quite a bit. I did feel it was on the weak side prior to the patch weapon scaling was awful on Eleonora, I was actually about to switch to a curved greatsword, but now my twinblade build will be quite a bit better. Expirimeted with claws the past few days as a fallback because I'm not really into heavy weapons or shields.

Anyone else having issues where the game doesn't want to properly close? I exit the game normally and it goes back to my desktop, but it stays open for a minute or so each time. Sometimes even with the theme music playing. It eventually closes, but it's also leaving a crashdump file in my AppData folder, too.

Anyone else having issues where the game doesn't want to properly close? I exit the game normally and it goes back to my desktop, but it stays open for a minute or so each time. Sometimes even with the theme music playing. It eventually closes, but it's also leaving a crashdump file in my AppData folder, too.
It’s done that for me since launch on multiple PCs.

Yeah I agree with BassTek, it's done that since day one for me too. I haven't had a crashdump in AppData, however.

Alright that black knight in stormveil castle is bullshit :D

Edit: Hell yes. Just got him.
The Crucible Knight? You can cheese him. I did so by accident.
Lure him to the nearby lift, get him on it and trigger the lift. He'll go up and instantly die.

Apparently I still need to explore that castle because I haven't found him yet. I killed Godrick though- which wasn't all that bad. took like ten attempts compared to 300 or so on Margit. XD

Back