Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

hmm, i don't have anything i can unplug. just my kb, mouse, and xbox receiver.

at first, as always when i see a crash, i'm thinking maybe it's on my end, but it's a weird very specific sequence of events where the game suddenly freezes, then unfreezes for a sec and keeps going, then freezes again and blam, crash. i've seen a few people describe exactly the same thing
I've seen a lot of people complaining about crashing after the latest patch. It's an issue with the game, for sure, not anybody's configuration.

I started Stormveil Castle last night and only got part way through before I had to sleep. But so far I found they really use the floors/levels in a way that reminds me of playing side scrolling games like mario bros, zelda, castlevania but obviously in a 3d world. There hidden paths, ledges and ways to jump around and find things and attack the area. I'll say this unlike those stupid messages across the map that say 'jump here' with 10 blood stains around it, here if you see a message that says jump, look around because there is probably a place to jump and find something. I did one big jump and found a whole new area and a pretty nice reward.

I started Stormveil Castle last night and only got part way through before I had to sleep. But so far I found they really use the floors/levels in a way that reminds me of playing side scrolling games like mario bros, zelda, castlevania but obviously in a 3d world. There hidden paths, ledges and ways to jump around and find things and attack the area. I'll say this unlike those stupid messages across the map that say 'jump here' with 10 blood stains around it, here if you see a message that says jump, look around because there is probably a place to jump and find something. I did one big jump and found a whole new area and a pretty nice reward.
are you new to From games? (that's not meant to be a snarky comment) their map design is one of their strongest aspects. you are constantly being rewarded for being curious and observant of your surroundings, and there are almost always alternate paths, shortcuts, etc

are you new to From games? (that's not meant to be a snarky comment) their map design is one of their strongest aspects. you are constantly being rewarded for being curious and observant of your surroundings, and there are almost always alternate paths, shortcuts, etc
I played dark souls prepare to die years ago(steams says 2014) but never really got far. So yeah it's new to me. I already have about 50 hours in this game and having a ton of fun.

waiting for a patch to fix the stuttering issues, guessing its DRM related. not buying until I get confirmation its up-to-snuff.

The latest patch has fixed the majority of issues. It's very playable now for most people.
Well I mean, its still got some roughness. But its playable-----after I changed a registry setting for AMD's shader caching behavior. And Except I guess for the people whom are experiencing crashing.

If you aren't a die hard souls fan, I would probably wait for 2 more patches. Which might only be a week, at this rate.

Well I mean, its still got some roughness. But its playable-----after I changed a registry setting for AMD's shader caching behavior. And Except I guess for the people whom are experiencing crashing.

If you aren't a die hard souls fan, I would probably wait for 2 more patches. Which might only be a week, at this rate.
yep. i would not buy it until a couple more patches hopefully shake out the worst of the technical problems, unless 1) you're an absolute diehard Fromhead, 2) you have high end hardware AND 3) you're prepared to deal with some stuttering, crashing or other issues.

edit: managed to play a little more without crashing, and yeah there are definitely some areas that are far worse with the "loading stutter" or w/e you wanna call it.
right around the small house ruins where an npc gives you the jelly ashes
if you run across that area it stutters so bad it feels like the game is *this* close to CTD lol. the game just does not feel 'solid'

Last edited:
edit: managed to play a little more without crashing, and yeah there are definitely some areas that are far worse with the "loading stutter" or w/e you wanna call it.
right around the small house ruins where an npc gives you the jelly ashes
if you run across that area it stutters so bad it feels like the game is *this* close to CTD lol. the game just does not feel 'solid'
That type of stuttering was happening outside the beginning dungeon where the tree sentinel roams. Happened with him there and after I killed him. Patch today seemed to have resolved that somewhat. Had instances pre-patch that literally froze me midfight or just roaming the area. Tested that area post patch and it seems to have been resolved for the most part. Notice stuttering still but not to the effect pre.

That type of stuttering was happening outside the beginning dungeon where the tree sentinel roams. Happened with him there and after I killed him. Patch today seemed to have resolved that somewhat. Had instances pre-patch that literally froze me midfight or just roaming the area. Tested that area post patch and it seems to have been resolved for the most part. Notice stuttering still but not to the effect pre.
i agree, but i only started playing more after last night's patch so this is post-patch and even though there was improvement overall, clearly some areas are still really bad. it's still probably within the "meh runs fine on my pc" realm for some but i think most would agree what you see in that spot (and i'm sure there are many many others across the vast world) is awful

the "runs fine on my machine" shitposting doesn't tell the story, you can read through the past 5 or 6 pages to see that some players are more sensitive to it than others and the pc specs literally do not matter
That's nice. Learn to acknowledge that there are many different configurations on PC which may lead to different experience.
Whether one's more sensitive to it than others or not, my frametime graph stayed flat stable during the entire play-through of the first two hours. Perhaps, stuttering will occur later in other areas. But so far, so good. Framerate and frametime is stable here so far.

That's nice. Learn to acknowledge that there are many different configurations on PC which may lead to different experience.
Whether one's more sensitive to it than others or not, my frametime graph stayed flat stable during the entire play-through of the first two hours. Perhaps, stuttering will occur later in other areas. But so far, so good. Framerate and frametime is stable here so far.
betcha 20 bucks paypal i can show you spots on YOUR pc where it does

So since the patch I’ve had less small stutters but two or three 1-2 second pauses. Unfortunately I’m in new areas so I can’t say if that would have happened pre-patch.

Also, I see another guy without experiencing stuttering over at Guru3D forum. The guy posted couple of minutes ago. Here's a link to his post/video.

Also, I see another guy without experiencing stuttering over at Guru3D forum. The guy posted couple of minutes ago. Here's a link to his post/video.
you can literally see the stutters right there in his frametime graph. you can barely "notice" them in his gameplay because the video is rendered at 30 fps.

anyway here's a spot not too far from the starting area you can go to experiment:

Untitled.png

so yeah, if you haven't found it already, make your way to the "stormhill shack" grace that i marked. it's not that far from the first grace you find just entering Limgrave. from there, run to the large ruin just to the northeast until you're touching it (it's maybe like 200 feet from the shack) then run due west until you bump into the cliff face there. you should hit at least one hard stutter, and if you run back and forth between the ruin and the cliff wall you can repeat it.

also if you didn't find the map fragment yet, it's in the gate ruins north along the path from the starting area, there's a column/tablet thingy on the western edge of those ruins that gives you the map for this area.

you need to have a frametime graph up, just the frametime number and fps number alone are basically useless. anyway i've been here before, you'll have the stutter and then just say "well it's so minor it really doesn't bother me" which is exactly the whole point. :p the reason i even bother taking the time with this is because it just irritates me when people claim "it's fine on my pc it must be dependent on system" when someone is asking if they should buy or not.

Jesus! Didn't mean to start all this bickering. Though I will say, ShePearl you do have a top 0.01% machine. If anyone was going to not encounter stuttering, it'd be a system like that.

Someone like me running a 3080 and a 2950x will probably have a much worse time.

Jesus! Didn't mean to start all this bickering. Though I will say, ShePearl you do have a top 0.01% machine. If anyone was going to not encounter stuttering, it'd be a system like that.

Someone like me running a 3080 and a 2950x will probably have a much worse time.
trust me you didn't start it, lol. if you feel like killing a few minutes, you can read/skim the past few pages to see why i got a bit testy.

so far, no data exists to suggest that specs can "overpower" whatever the underlying issues in Elden Ring are. the DF analysis for example illustrates that 3090s running minimum settings and 720p could not cure the stuttering. now granted it IS better as of last night's patch, but not cured. even i (as obviously OCD about this crap as i am :D) consider it mostly playable, from the parts of the game i've been through so far anyway. it's still an issue though and you see that being discussed just about everywhere Elden Ring is discussed. of course, you'll also see the "runs fine on my pc" comments too but you gotta understand some people don't get bothered by the stuttering and hitching, it's like people who say anything over 60fps isn't noticeable. its just a person to person variation.

to add to that (for a fun little psychology discussion :p ) it seems like gamers that have ultra high end rigs love tackling games that have a reputation for running poorly, kind of like a "my rig has tamed the beast!" boasting point. sometimes people don't want to feel like their high end rig in some way didn't cut the mustard so they convince themselves it actually is running "poorly optimized game XYZ" great, from their perspective. (even though in Elden RIng's case, the stutter really has nothing to do with the pc's components or how well it was built.)

i've noticed the same can happen from the opposite end of the spectrum where people with basic rigs convince themselves they've built an "ultra efficient" low spec pc that can actually perform better than high end ones. like they don't wanna feel left out or left behind because of older/lesser hardware so you'll sometimes see people with gtx 1060s or whatever posting shit like "idk what you guys are doing but im locked solid 60 fps @ max details" and you know they're full of shit, lol.

Last edited:
the reason i even bother taking the time with this is because it just irritates me when people claim "it's fine on my pc it must be dependent on system" when someone is asking if they should buy or not.
I think you didn't read right. (or is English not the first language for you?) Read my posts again. Where did I exactly say my system was "immune" to stuttering in this game?
All I said was I played for two hours, didn't encounter any stutter. And I specifically said, (considering I'm early in the game) there perhaps are stuttering in other area later on.

you need to have a frametime graph up, just the frametime number and fps number alone are basically useless. anyway i've been here before, you'll have the stutter and then just say "well it's so minor it really doesn't bother me" which is exactly the whole point.
So, I need to go through the hassle of recording a video for you? To prove what?
Your mentality is "just because it happens on mine, there is no way it won't happen to you." How did you even sign up to this forum in 2001? If you're using your daddy's account, tell him you messed up your Windows and the game stutters. Perhaps, he can help you. :p

If you are running on 3080 and 2950X, I don't think the issue is due to hardware horsepower. I mean the difference between 3090 vs. 3080 and 5950X vs. 2950X is very small, IMO.
There must be something (software related) else.

So, what are some spots in Limgrave or Limgrove whatever it is that I should make sure not to miss before moving on?

I'm up to lvl 21 as a Warrior and I'm having a hard time with the Souls Open World so far LMAO. I feel like I should keep charging on, but I now I'm missing stuff.

So, I need to go through the hassle of recording a video for you? To prove what?
of course you don't need to do anything for me :rolleyes: i wouldn't expect anyone to spend one millisecond trying to prove anything to me, random person 85493432 on the internet lol. i only offered it as a way to show whether your pc has the stutters or not.

If you are running on 3080 and 2950X, I don't think the issue is due to hardware horsepower. I mean the difference between 3090 vs. 3080 and 5950X vs. 2950X is very small, IMO.
There must be something (software related) else.
In pure threaded throughput, not a huge difference, but in games the 2950X is a bit of a tortoise. I've been looking to upgrade for ages, but it looks like AMD has abandoned HEDT...

I even get stutter when the name of a place appears up on my screen. Its so dumb.

Aside from the performance issues with the engine. I think my irritations with the actual game are the huge built in delay of button press to actually starting a roll or any action, really. but most especially the roll. I fought a hyper mobile boss tonight and I had to work so damn hard to keep my character ahead of its actions. I hope they eventually shorten that delay on the role.

And also that they STILL have not figured out that they should put a button prompt to continue, on the loading screens. So that we can actually read the info and learn about the world, lore, and items. Its like they don't even play their own games and see that is hugely wasted and frustrating, now that we can load too fast to read the screens.

Otherwise, its pretty great so far.

Just arrived at the location you mentioned earlier.
(Sorry for the washed out color tone of the image. I was playing with HDR enabled and screen capture tool (MSI AfterBurner) can only capture in SDR. Hence, incorrectly tonemapped.
Colonel Sanders, I don't see stuttering. Frametime graph and framerate counter is stable without any changes nor spikes. Now, does this mean my current system (& configs) is immune to stuttering in this game? No. Not at all. As I said earlier, I might have a stutter free experience in this particular location and earlier area but I might encounter stuttering in other area as I progress the game further. Not that difficult to understand, heh? ;)
01.png

I've heard that the game engine is highly dependant upon individual threads/single threaded performance. It may be that they are doing data loading off just a thread or two. And an upper-end PCI-E 4.0 SSD feeds that one or two threads enough to avoid stutter.

Perhaps.
FWIW, I'm running on Windows 11 and GeForce driver ver. 511.79
The game is installed on 980 Pro NVMe (PCI-E 4.0)
Also, because Elden Ring is not whitelisted for Resizable BAR support, I manually enabled it through NVInspector. (I did this even before the first start up of the game).
And if it matters, I played the game in offline mode. This is because I wanted to use Flawless Widescreen for ultrawide resolution (3840x1600).
Oh and, I have XBOX Game Bar completely removed from my Windows 11. Steam Overlay is disabled as well as I hardly use it when playing games.
I think that's about it. Nothing special at all.

is there a list of games with Resizable BAR support...Nvidia released an official list back in March 2021 but it hasn't been updated

Spent most of last night in Raya Academy farming for a staff for my Mage and trying the Red Wolf Boss. (Got it to 10%) Also spent time looking for Bell bearing items for the Roundtable hold NPC so i can buy Whetstones. Hopefully will get those tonight. Did get to Altus area though. (Very colorful)

I get stutters, i9 10850k, 3090, 32gb 3200, running of an intel 750p but the datacenter version of it. It's not bad by any stretch but I've always had stutters with Souls games on the PC, never had them on Playstation hardware. I dunno. I think part of the issue here is they know the largest majority of their target market is on Playstation And due to PC's having tons of different configs it's always going to be goofy.

Just arrived at the location you mentioned earlier.
(Sorry for the washed out color tone of the image. I was playing with HDR enabled and screen capture tool (MSI AfterBurner) can only capture in SDR. Hence, incorrectly tonemapped.
Colonel Sanders, I don't see stuttering. Frametime graph and framerate counter is stable without any changes nor spikes. Now, does this mean my current system (& configs) is immune to stuttering in this game? No. Not at all. As I said earlier, I might have a stutter free experience in this particular location and earlier area but I might encounter stuttering in other area as I progress the game further. Not that difficult to understand, heh? ;)
i totally believe you

lol I thought this game was easy until my squishy mage gets squished in the Crystal Caverns lol.
I opened up the east area and the Southern area found the Meteorite staff which was alot better than what I was using.
I'm level 21

I really love the look at that eastern zone. The art style reminds me of fantastic planet.

Back