Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

yeah exactly. subtle visual cues, hints dropped in dialogue by an npc, maybe some audio clue... something. otherwise it feels like i'm playing wolfenstein 3d or doom spamming spacebar along every wall :p

most of the other 'secrets' in From games are actually thoughtful and reward you for being observant
Agreed. Even if it's the 'old codger' you have to follow for 16 hours through a million rat men fuckers. Not a fan of just whacking random walls.

Agreed. Even if it's the 'old codger' you have to follow for 16 hours through a million rat men fuckers. Not a fan of just whacking random walls.

Ha! That reminds me of the flower you have to bring all the way across the world without getting hit in Hollow Knight! The only part of that game I hate almost as much as the path of pain. :p (for some reason I've still done both three times :D )

yeah exactly. subtle visual cues, hints dropped in dialogue by an npc, maybe some audio clue... something. otherwise it feels like i'm playing wolfenstein 3d or doom spamming spacebar along every wall :p

most of the other 'secrets' in From games are actually thoughtful and reward you for being observant
Doom still used misaligned or even different textures to mark secrets, though.

New patch is live. I'm about to try it out. I heard it broke SpecialK. He's working on fixing it.

Patch 1.02.2 for PC and PS5 available now.

PC:
💠Fixed an issue where the graphics card was not being used, resulting in slow performance.
💠Fixed a bug that caused the game to quit under certain conditions during a battle with the Fire Giant.
💠Fixed other bugs.

PS5:
💠Changes to save game progression even when the game is not terminated.

Source: https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1498868165404598276

I tried it with no mods or tweaks and.....it seems largely the same. Lots of stutters.

However, that staircase by the tree near the beginning no longer results in crippling pauses for me. The tree sentinel caused some stutters, but not pauses and lurching.

After that, I quit the game and tried this registry hack for AMD's Shader cache:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001\UMD

With the UMD folder highlighted, look for "ShaderCache".

open it and I changed it to "32 00".

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off
32 00= Shader Cache on

And wow, large differnce. There are still some small stutters here and there. But there aren't super frequent stutters or stutters upon stutters, so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.
I guess this is what happens when they give mediocre Jap coders close to the metal access.

The massive frame drops in specific areas are gone for me with this patch. Before that I also increased the shader cache size in NVCP and that seemed to help with the stutters as well. I wouldn’t say it’s perfect yet, but it’s a lot better. Better to the point that at least on my system I don’t really notice any issues anymore.

The massive frame drops in specific areas are gone for me with this patch. Before that I also increased the shader cache size in NVCP and that seemed to help with the stutters as well. I wouldn’t say it’s perfect yet, but it’s a lot better. Better to the point that at least on my system I don’t really notice any issues anymore.
Yeah, I have heard that setting the Nvidia cache to unlimited, has helped several people.

I tried it with no mods or tweaks and.....it seems largely the same. Lots of stutters.

However, that staircase by the tree near the beginning no longer results in crippling pauses for me. The tree sentinel caused some stutters, but not pauses and lurching.

After that, I quit the game and tried this registry hack for AMD's Shader cache:

if you want to enable shader cache you need to go to the registry ->

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001\UMD

With the UMD folder highlighted, look for "ShaderCache".

open it and I changed it to "32 00".

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off
32 00= Shader Cache on

And wow, large differnce. There are still some small stutters here and there. But there aren't super frequent stutters or stutters upon stutters, so far.
In the same registry location, I saw a setting for antistutter. I changed it to 32 00. I thiiiiiink it may have helped even a little bit more.

Either way, this is way playable now. But, we'll see how it goes when I fight a boss or two.

bloodstains are also working now

Last edited:
nothing in the patch notes about stutter.. the "graphics card not being used" bug i'm sure is referring to the one mentioned earlier in this thread where some people had the game set to use their igpu by default instead of their main gpu. i just tried it and no change to the asset streaming/area loading stutters

wait

hold on

they're still there in the same places but it seems like they made them at least "asynchronous" i.e. they don't slow the fucking game itself down when they happen. so they're still irritating as fuck but less likely to get you killed if you get them in combat

keep going From, i berieve in you

edit: this might have crossed into playable territory for me. for example the big stutter up the stairway past the "take the plunge" ghost is still there but like half as bad as it was, and the various microstutters when traveling across the open world are basically gone. like going from the church of elleh or w/e it's called due north into the shaded grove, it would always hit some short but hard stutters. it's completely smooth now. trying really really hard to avoid placebo here lol but it's looking good so far

edit2: well... still probably gonna wait for more patches. there are still invisible "borders" throughout the world (whether indoors or outdoors) that cause stutter as you run across them. i tried engaging the Tree Sentinel for the first time - people really got enraged fighting him because the area he patrols also happens to have a few of those invisible borders, adding to the difficulty of the fight. well sure enough those are still there, resulting in all these hard stutters as you're moving around trying to fight the guy and it totally fucks with your inputs and timing. then i found a catacombs area and there's a part with a stairway leading to little fuckers who shoot darts at you and there are stutters right on those stairs too, causing me to miss a roll and get hit.

so TL;DR the patch is an improvement - it reduces or completely eliminates some of the really small stutters when traversing the open world. the ones at invisible borders are still there, but the severity of them is reduced. and lastly the game speed doesn't slow down during them.

Last edited:
George RR Martin has spoken:

"Years in the making, Elden Ring was released last week, and has been taking the gaming world by storm"

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/02/28/grab-for-the-ring/

GRRM.jpg

Considering doing a respec on my build to lean more into using strength with faith or magic -- right now I'm just a full on muscle-head. Is faith needed for fire spells in this game? I notice it is needed to perform the dragon communion spells at least.

Considering doing a respec on my build to lean more into using strength with faith or magic -- right now I'm just a full on muscle-head. Is faith needed for fire spells in this game? I notice it is needed to perform the dragon communion spells at least.
Yes, pyro spells require and scale with faith. I have not run into any so far that require both faith and intelligence like previous Souls games.

Yes, pyro spells require and scale with faith. I have not run into any so far that require both faith and intelligence like previous Souls games.

That settles it then! :D May just keep my spec then and start to dip more into faith if I am wanting to do a Str/Faith build anyway.

I posted previously (#510) thinking that this would not be considered one of the greats. I'm about 20 hours in and I was wrong.

This game is outstanding. The exploration, the leveling system, the combat, is all very satisfying and rewarding.

PC Ultrawide support and 60+ fps would be great, but doesn't matter, this is one of bests in my opinion.

Have a mostly pure magic user, (Using a dagger for the left hand) and do pretty well at ranged. Meteorite staff helps, but can't be upgraded unfortunately per the web.

20220302103441_1 - Copy.jpg

This isn't a Dark Souls game it's a friggin MMO but I think it's what people wanted. If you ask me this game just reeks of Dark Age of Camelot with another coat of paint. Just killed the Pumpkin Head guy took forever to figure out where the location was until I climbed up here.
I think when you hit a certain level the game will loose it's luster so taking my time I summoned for Pumpkin head so I can just spam him
so dark down there didn't feel like turning up my monitor brightness just to see his timing. I got to that that Boss at the Castle but found out I wasn't leveled for him at all.

Get Margit's shackles from Patches. It can stun Margit twice.

Found that comment on the Steam mess board will look for Patches next unless he's End Game.

You got a big open area where you prance around in Themepark style except it's souls game. The only difference is the number of players at once but travel is more like Red Dead Redemption on horse.

Last edited:
You got a big open area where you prance around in Themepark style except it's souls game.
The only difference is the number of players at once but travel is more like Red Dead Redemption on horse.
that's true, Elden Ring really is just an mmo but Souls game.

anyway, i'm finally digging in to Elden Ring :D the stuttering issues are juuuust passable enough for me, unless something really egregious pops up later on. finally i can play the damn game and stop thinking about the technical stuff... mostly.

very happy i have a Gsync display, because at 4k max settings on my 2080 ti it can dip to around 40 fps. actually sometimes even lower which is unfortunately when my LG C1 gets into the low framerate compensation mode which is awful.. but most of the time it's not that bad. mostly around 50ish outside. 1440p @ 120hz is pretty much locked at 60 fps but as was noted in the DF pc port analysis, there's some kind of frame pacing problem w/ Gsync on that makes it feel not as smooth compared to 4k 60hz even though the framerate in 4k is so much lower.

i have a suspicion that their implementation of 'god rays' is a big part of the heavy GPU hit. i've been playing fallout 4 for the past couple of months and it's exactly like that game, with its notoriously unoptimized god rays that gets much much worse in morning or evening hours when the god rays are longest, and to add to that, when they're filtering through leaves of trees or other fine grain details is when the framerate absolutely tanks

that's true, Elden Ring really is just an mmo but Souls game.

anyway, i'm finally digging in to Elden Ring :D the stuttering issues are juuuust passable enough for me, unless something really egregious pops up later on. finally i can play the damn game and stop thinking about the technical stuff... mostly.
Yeah, I had barely done anything real in the game, due to performance issues. Basically just ran around the opening area "feeling" if any tweaks had improved anything. Also fought a couple of things on the beach. That was about it.

Last night after I discovered the registry key to change the shader cache for AMD----and it gave me a lot of improvement. I'm finally happy enough, to really dig in.

Sooooo, I finally went back to the first imp statue near the beginning, and used my starting gift stonesword key. It removes that fog gate. And oh boy am I happy I did that. Its VERY souls game back there. What a wonderful way to finally play the game for reals :)

P.S. they did a couple more branch updates on Elden Ring in the steam backend. Might be getting another patch in the next 48 hours.

I guess you could see it as an older school MMO, but it isn't. The only game I can think of that it reminds me of the most is BOTW, but just way more adult/harder.

Either way, it's an outstanding game. Super rewarding. Although in terms of FROM Software games i'd still rank Sekiro higher at this point. The tension in that game in certain areas was incredible, and TBH, I prefer the Sekiro style of not having stats, it's more of just items you collect.

Wait MMO? This is an online game and not a Skyrim,Witcher,RPG type single player game?
It's a single player ARPG you can play start to finish 100% completely offline if you want. But yes, it has the typical "Souls co-op / invasion" feature built in, if you choose to partake.

i was kidding about Comixbooks' assertion that it's an mmo. it couldn't be further from being an mmo if it tried, lol

anyone getting occasional CTDs? i've had a couple now in only like 90 minutes of play. nothing in event viewer other than the eldenring.exe crash

i was kidding about Comixbooks' assertion that it's an mmo. it couldn't be further from being an mmo if it tried, lol

anyone getting occasional CTDs? i've had a couple now in only like 90 minutes of play. nothing in event viewer other than the eldenring.exe crash
I have seen some people complaining about it. Haven't necessarily seen a clear fix.

However, apparently this game likes to constantly look at all of your peripherals. So, it may help to unplug any USB devices which you absolutely do not need.

I have also heard that Gamepass and Xbox services have a conflict. And uninstalling can improve things.

Only major issue I have is that the game takes forever to quit, and it eventually just crashes generating an event. Likely related to all the EAC & epic overlay bullshit it starts.

I have seen some people complaining about it. Haven't necessarily seen a clear fix.

However, apparently this game likes to constantly look at all of your peripherals. So, it may help to unplug any USB devices which you absolutely do not need.

I have also heard that Gamepass and Xbox services have a conflict. And uninstalling can improve things.
hmm, i don't have anything i can unplug. just my kb, mouse, and xbox receiver.

at first, as always when i see a crash, i'm thinking maybe it's on my end, but it's a weird very specific sequence of events where the game suddenly freezes, then unfreezes for a sec and keeps going, then freezes again and blam, crash. i've seen a few people describe exactly the same thing

Back