Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

ok so, im a wretch! and i have a medallion! but im not feeling it man, it doesnt look polished enough for pc, hmmm

Up to about 17 hours of playtime so far and hit level 30 tonight. (Took me about 8 hours to get fairly comfortable with the game controls so went slow for a while) Definitely easier on some mobs and mini-bosses but the big bosses are still a pain in the neck.

Last edited:
12 hours in and I just finished Stormveil castle. It’s funny I didn’t notice a ton of stutters while in there, they must have spent time optimizing that area. Open world on the horse still stutters a decent amount.

I just spent 5 hours attempting Margit over and over again. Even with co-op partners it's ridiculous. They always die by the second phase. Do I need a ranged weapon or something? There is no damn opening for a melee attack in that second phase.
Not sure if you still need any help but...

For melee, stay agressive and learn his attacks, use iFrames (rolling/jumpig) to avoid damage. You can use Spirit Summons this fight (don't expect them to kill the boss for you, they are mainly there to distract and build up his posture meter). Fighting Melee I would recommend using the wolves and fully DPS him whenever he is focusing on the wolves, They wold also help build his posture meter. If he aggros you be get a few Guard Counters in, in general you want him to be aggro'd to the wolves though. When he is incapacitated go for the critcal hit. Personally I didn't know how to use the Spirit Summons at this point in the game but they would definately be useful. If you get low on health be ready to use iFrames (rolling/jumping) the remainder of the fight to avoid damage, but the fight should be relatively short if you are very aggressive.

I haven't done the fight ranged as I was out of arrows before the encounter. I also didn't know about the spirit summon at this point in the game, I did use them on Godrik though and the fight is similar enough.

I just spent 5 hours attempting Margit over and over again. Even with co-op partners it's ridiculous. They always die by the second phase. Do I need a ranged weapon or something? There is no damn opening for a melee attack in that second phase.
His second phase is a bloodborne boss in a souls game, making it an extremely difficult fight unless you're a spellcaster. (arguably the toughest boss in the game for pure melee characters). His second phase animations are bloodborne paced, the slower paced souls character you're playing will not be able to use iframe rolls to evade his second phase combos completely. Your positioning will have to be pixel perfect if you're trying to use iframes to avoid his second phase combos, there is luck involved so it's not realistic to maintain for the entire fight.

If you're playing pure melee and don't want to use summons, then during the second phase you'll have to keep distance and only swing once on an opening then keep distance again. I read that the leaping attack can affect his poise meter, and possibly interrupt him though I haven't tested it.

It's an open world game so you can go elsewhere for a few hours, and return when leveled up a bit with better flasks/gear/weapons. The summary of what I've read on reddit is that if you can beat him as pure melee, you'll have no trouble with anything else for the rest of the game. Like Father Gascoigne on steroids except that was a way easier fight as your character was "bloodborne speed".

Speaking of Father Gascoigne, regarding Margit there is an
item you can purchase from a character in a dungeon that works like the bloodborne music box, stuns him for a few seconds, though I read its quite clunky to use

Last edited:
Again, if you're having issues with margit, you need to find Patches and get an item.. This will allow you to fairly easily get him down to the 50% mark. You can then summon the wolves which will stay alive long enough to allow you to kill him.

Again, if you're having issues with margit, you need to find Patches and get an item.. This will allow you to fairly easily get him down to the 50% mark. You can then summon the wolves which will stay alive long enough to allow you to kill him.
I haven't found patches yet and im like 15hrs in lol. Now I want to go find him.

Never trust Patches.

But he's useful.

There are players who were asking about beating him as melee without summons. Everyone already knows that you can use summons or spells to make the game easy mode.

(the info about the 'item' was also in the post above yours in a spoiler, as there are players who are trying to avoid spoilers atm)

It's an open world game so you can go elsewhere for a few hours, and return when leveled up a bit with better flasks/gear/weapons.
Yeah... This is what I've decided to do. I was at a point of unhealthy addiction yesterday just re-attempting it over and over again. I think I only have melee options at this point so maybe I need to start looking into summons and/or spells.

I'm pretty close to beating Margit solo with just melee. I had a blast being summoned to help others for a couple hours last night. I just 2 hand some soldiers great sword I picked up and rolllllll with it. So fun ! Beat him a bunch of times and just kept leveling up.

Took me way to long to figure out that different attacks from the same weapon apply different damage types. I was doing shit-all for damage with the katana against those knights in the castle and realized that the 1-handed power attack is a pierce versus a slash which did way more damage.

I completely missed the fact that you can collect pieces of the map. I kept wondering why map had no detail compared to the ones posted online.

Is the co-op partner for the Margit fight supposed to die? Every single one of my partners dies during the second phase and I partnered up at least 30 times. Are they at some kind of disadvantage? Like no heals or something?

Is the co-op partner for the Margit fight supposed to die? Every single one of my partners dies during the second phase and I partnered up at least 30 times. Are they at some kind of disadvantage? Like no heals or something?
I don’t think that partner heals. He usually would died at the start of the second phase for me after eating a combo or two.

You can find a summon for the Godrick fight that can heal a couple times which made that fight super easy for me.

Also re-reading your post there are two types of coop partners. The one you are using is AI and is limited. If you place a finger you can summon real players to help as well but I haven’t done that yet.

Also re-reading your post there are two types of coop partners. The one you are using is AI and is limited. If you place a finger you can summon real players to help as well but I haven’t done that yet.
Woah really? I've been confusing AI for human this whole time? Face palm... Why would it even show a "summoning cooperator" message for an AI, including a slight wait for them to appear... Shouldn't they just spawn instantly?

Woah really? I've been confusing AI for human this whole time? Face palm... Why would it even show a "summoning cooperator" message for an AI, including a slight wait for them to appear... Shouldn't they just spawn instantly?
From-ism. No clue why, but I agree it's stupid. The wait kills me as well, because you know it's just your own AI and you just want to get into the fight.

i always thought it's like they want to give people who are playing offline or afraid to un-hollow/kindle/etc to "feel" like they're playing online. does it make sense? eh not really imo, lol

i guess it's also a kind of way to incorporate the "lore" behind multiplayer into the single player systems as well, so it's a little less of "here's this completely random item that breaks the fourth wall so you can play multiplayer in this game"

i always thought it's like they want to give people who are playing offline or afraid to un-hollow/kindle/etc to "feel" like they're playing online. does it make sense? eh not really imo, lol
I mean there's no down-side to playing online now since you can't be invaded unless you're in a COOP session. Well, that and the troll/annoying messages.

I mean there's no down-side to playing online now since you can't be invaded unless you're in a COOP session. Well, that and the troll/annoying messages.
yeah but that's what i'm saying, if you summon someone (an actual player) to help with a boss, you know you're opening the door to being invaded to. so the ai "player" mechanic is sort of giving that experience without opening the door to being invaded, or it's building the summoning system into the lore a bit more. still weird, still just a guess on my part :p

it took me a little while to realize the scripted invaders in bloodborne and ds3 were ai, because they appear in basically the same way players do. they might be in all their games DeSo onward actually, idk

yeah but that's what i'm saying, if you summon someone (an actual player) to help with a boss, you know you're opening the door to being invaded to. so the ai "player" mechanic is sort of giving that experience without opening the door to being invaded, or it's building the summoning system into the lore a bit more. still weird, still just a guess on my part :p

it took me a little while to realize the scripted invaders in bloodborne and ds3 were ai, because they appear in basically the same way players do. they might be in all their games DeSo onward actually, idk
Dark Souls 2 is the first game to implement offline AI invaders.

I think From did it for a number of reasons. Keeps a consistent tone. Its another way for them to conrol the experience in certain areas. Some players were playing offline in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, as a way to avoid invasions. Clearly, From thinks its an important part of the game. So they made AI invaders. etc.

Double posting to report back on the PS4 Pro code running on PS5. As well as the PS5 version itself.

First of all, both the PS4 pro and PS5 versions are always using upscaling to 4K. And its not a particularly great implementation. So....it always looks a bit soft. I'm saying this as someone whom usually plays my PS5 on a 1080p monitor (I like the monitor because it has excellent response times, very low input lag, and is decent at resolving dark details). Even when the PS5 is set to 1080p, Its downsampling from whatever the initial output would have been. Game devs have to explicitly program games to do 1080p without first doing the upscale/reconstruction pass.

Performance mode on PS5: It is FULL of stuttering in larger areas. If you've seen any youtube videos, the average framerate after the day 1 patch is pretty good. The game never really goes below 50fps anymore (except during in-game cinematics). Most of the time its around 57 - 60fps average. But there you can deduce the problem. It has tons of little frametime spots and you will feel them as little stutters. If you are out in a big area, such as when you first step into the open world, it will basically constantly stutter. Even just standing still and rotating the camera. You don't get the big lurching and freezing and rubberbanding like on PC. But, it does have a similar amount of little stutters.

It looks good overall. The biggest visual issue is the shadows are at a lower setting. And Elden Ring's shadows only look decent at the highest setting. The Grass is at a mid setting where you still get the tall grass. But it clearly appears/dissappears about 20 feet in front of you. However, when looking over long distances, there is still noticeably more grass covering distant areas, than the PS4 pro version.
I think the anti-aliasing setting is not at max.

Input lag is fine. Though I think its a touch slower than on PC, if you have the low input lage features active in your GPU control panels (Nvidia and AMD both have low input lage/low latency options).

Prefer resolution mode on PS5: I think this runs mostly around 40FPS, according to youtube videos. It has some stutters but they aren't too bad. But it feels slower than 30, somehow. I dunno what, but its like a smoothed 24fps or something. Its weird. On the flip side, I recently played Dark Souls 1 on Switch at 30fps and it felt fine? I even loaded up Bloodborne a few days ago and it felt more responsive than this.

Visually, the grass and shadows are maxed out. And it does look a bit sharper, due to an higher internal res. But, still a softness to it.

PS4 Pro version on PS5: Performance is solid. The majority of the time, its a smooth 60fps. Occasionally it will have a small frame spike and have a single stutter here and there. But its barely an issue. I have heard the framerate can drop into the low 50's in a couple of specific areas. But I haven't been there yet. I feel like it may have a touch less input lag than the PS5 version. Its tough to say.

Visually, it is a little incosistant. There is zero tall grass. And in the distance, there is way less distant grass coverage. There is also a more aggressive LOD on textures and model quality. The game looks pretty rough in large areas. When you first step out into the open world-----it looks like an old game.

Smaller areas look nearly as good as PS5, however. There is still some pretty aggressive LOD on some textures and model quality. But its usually only for a couple of things in each scene. Open world areas without grass also look about as good. Such as down on a beach, or in rocky sections.

The internal res is even lower, so it looks even softer after the downscale.

Downscaling from 1440p on my PC with an RX 6600 XT, looked great, in terms of sharpness and overall image integrity.

Last edited:
so in short... great job on the technical side of things in general by From? :ROFLMAO:

this morning i loaded up a little Dark Souls Remastered and it was a relief just having a beautifully liquid smooth experience, even if a little part of me was dying inside wanting to play elden ring

so in short... great job on the technical side of things in general by From? :ROFLMAO:

this morning i loaded up a little Dark Souls Remastered and it was a relief just having a beautifully liquid smooth experience, even if a little part of me was dying inside wanting to play elden ring
I was pretty surprised at how stuttery the PS5 performance mode is. Because I had not really heard about it from any higher profile youtube videos. But, some players on other forums were complaining about it. So I downloaded the PS5 version to check it out.

Up to 37 now, and took the back way to Liurnia lake so bypassed Margit till i decide to kill him. Got about 4 new Spirit Ash summons also from different mini-bosses and about 1/4 of the way through the Academy of Raya Lucaria. Still need to explore it more though.

I seem to suck at this game...gone nowhere and keep dying. It does run good on my older system.

Since the pc version is only available on Steam, I will pass. Maybe I may get it for xbox, but I doubt it. RPGs IMO are meant to be played on pc.

Back