Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Will 2 hours give me enough time to determine if stuttering is problem on my rig??

(obviously I intend to install it on my nVME and have the latest nvidia drivers already installed)

Oh and is TRUE fullscreen an option?? Otherwise G-sync on my particular monitor acts kinda "wonky" when set to Fullscreen & Windowed..

Will 2 hours give me enough time to determine if stuttering is problem on my rig??

(obviously I intend to install it on my nVME and have the latest nvidia drivers already installed)

Oh and is TRUE fullscreen an option?? Otherwise G-sync on my particular monitor acts kinda "wonky" when set to Fullscreen & Windowed..
Yes, two hours is enough. Especially if you just quickly make a junk character and quickly get through the little intro area and get out into the open world. and then from there, it should be minutes or less, before issues are apparent. And you may even have issues before getting to the open areas.

it's dx12 so any of the modes will work fine with Gsync (do NOT turn on "fullscreen and windowed" EVER these days, leave it on fullscreen only. that setting is utterly pointless as of windows 10 build 1803 which came out aloooong time ago

it's dx12 so any of the modes will work fine with Gsync (do NOT turn on "fullscreen and windowed" EVER these days, leave it on fullscreen only. that setting is utterly pointless as of windows 10 build 1803 which came out aloooong time ago

Interesting and thanks for the heads up! Would you mind elaborating or shooting me a link of some kind? (this kinda stuff always intrigues me)

- I'm guessing you're implying Elden has a real fullscreen option, thank god..

Are you sure I've had a habit of turning on, on a per-game basis with Nvidia Inspector, never ran into any issues on my X27.

Are you sure I've had a habit of turning on, on a per-game basis with Nvidia Inspector, never ran into any issues on my X27.
yeah i dunno, every game i've ever tried that setting in after that windows 10 build, which is when DWM had a major change, causes the fps to fluctuate like crazy and really bad microstutters. been through a lot of hardware and displays and windows builds since then and never had luck with it again. thankfully more games now use flip model so its irrelevant, and i just read a windows insider article about a new feature in the graphics settings that will basically force flip model in any dx9 or higher game which is really cool

Ah yea, I just disabled "Fullscreen and Windowed" made it "Fullscreen" played about 15mins and it does feel fine. Is the Flip mode on a per game basis or is it always Flip Discard?

i just read a windows insider article about a new feature in the graphics settings that will basically force flip model in any dx9 or higher game which is really cool

Based on my super quick googling, that def sounds super-cool..

Windows 11 only I'll assuming?

EDIT: Went ahead and pulled the trigger just now.... *fingers crossed

Last edited:
Elden Ring’s character creator fails Black players

You can do just about anything with the character creator except have a Black hairstyle...I just don’t understand how a game, after numerous, numerous calls for greater diversity and developers acknowledging its Black community members through Black Lives Matter posts and well wishes during Black History Month, can still fail to account for Black players...it’s certainly a choice in the year 2022, one that unfortunately reinforces a culture of exclusion already endemic to video games...

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/25/22951205/elden-rings-character-creator-black-hairstyles

You can do just about anything with the character creator except have a Black hairstyle...I just don’t understand how a game, after numerous, numerous calls for greater diversity and developers acknowledging its Black community members through Black Lives Matter posts and well wishes during Black History Month, can still fail to account for Black players...it’s certainly a choice in the year 2022, one that unfortunately reinforces a culture of exclusion already endemic to video games...

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/25/22951205/elden-rings-character-creator-black-hairstyles
/yawn

nope, we're not even going there in this thread. it stops now.

ohh the verge! yo the verge, build a pc for us the verge!

I'm just going to wait for the PS5 GOTY edition w/ all DLCs.
I learned my lesson w/ DS2 and DS3. From makes fantastic games, but like most developers the sensible choice is to just wait :/

I keep putting the PS5 version into my cart on Amazon and logging out - FFS.

I knew within 45 minutes that I couldnt stand the micro stutter issues.

2080 super / 12700K / Gen 4 NVME / 1440P VRR monitor / 64GB RAM

There is no point for this garbage to be posted in this thread.

Can you please explain the "fix"?
Here is EXACTLY what I did. I now have zero detectable stutter from every 1-3 seconds for 1-3 seconds:

1.) Completely remove all instances of EAC.
2.) Reinstalled the latest version of EAC.
3.) Elden Rings won't run citing EAC is not installed. Hunt Showdown...runs fine and its a EAC game also.
4.) Blow away EAC...again.
5.) Blow away Elden Rings.
6.) Reinstall Elden Rings.
7.) Run Elden Rings....same fucking garbage of stutters every 1-3 seconds lasting 1-3 seconds.
8.) Try to run Hunt Showdown, gives error EAC is out of date and will not run.
9.) Run the EAC Launcher and installs latest version(with the old version also installed).
10.) Run the EAC Launcher again...and see 4 game ids supposedly using it on my system. I repair/delete/reinstall all of them.
11.) Run Elden again...it loads. So far walking around....I am not seeing any Stutters past any new shit loading it. So....maybe just maybe this fixed it.

So....the Stuttering...is 100% related to their fucked up EAC shit from what I can see.

My game has been running smooth 99% of the time today since I moved it to my NVME drive, performance isn't even an issue. It was worse yesterday. I also did reinstall EAC.

Here is EXACTLY what I did. I now have zero detectable stutter from every 1-3 seconds for 1-3 seconds:

1.) Completely remove all instances of EAC.
2.) Reinstalled the latest version of EAC.
3.) Elden Rings won't run citing EAC is not installed. Hunt Showdown...runs fine and its a EAC game also.
4.) Blow away EAC...again.
5.) Blow away Elden Rings.
6.) Reinstall Elden Rings.
7.) Run Elden Rings....same fucking garbage of stutters every 1-3 seconds lasting 1-3 seconds.
8.) Try to run Hunt Showdown, gives error EAC is out of date and will not run.
9.) Run the EAC Launcher and installs latest version(with the old version also installed).
10.) Run the EAC Launcher again...and see 4 game ids supposedly using it on my system. I repair/delete/reinstall all of them.
11.) Run Elden again...it loads. So far walking around....I am not seeing any Stutters past any new shit loading it. So....maybe just maybe this fixed it.

So....the Stuttering...is 100% related to their fucked up EAC shit from what I can see.
How can I get the EAC launcher where it updates and then shows me the games which utilize it?

Elden Ring appears to only have an setup.exe for EAC

I knew within 45 minutes that I couldnt stand the micro stutter issues.

2080 super / 12700K / Gen 4 NVME / 1440P VRR monitor / 64GB RAM

Took me 16 mins for me to learn, apparently (per Steam game-time)

That first staircase, BOOM! Dropped from capped 60 to mid 40's. Clockwork reproduceable.

- Even setting Shader Cache to Unlimited & supposedly circumventing EAC by doing this:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-anti-cheat-elden-ring

It made ZERO difference.

Note: Running the latest 511.79 "Elden Ring Game-Ready" Nvidia driver, quality PCIe 3.0 nVME, AND a mere 1080p G-sync /w settings on High..... (Minus DoF/Blur ofc)

Clearly, there is a problem....

Yeah, refunded till you guys tell me it's up to snuff (y)

Damn shame..

That first staircase, BOOM! Dropped from capped 60 to mid 40's. Clockwork reproduceable.

- Even setting Shader Cache to Unlimited & supposedly circumventing EAC by doing this:

It made ZERO difference.

Note: Running the latest 511.79 "Elden Ring Game-Ready" Nvidia driver, quality PCIe 3.0 nVME, AND a mere 1080p G-sync /w settings on High..... (Minus DoF/Blur ofc)

Damn shame..
Yea I noticed it after about 10-15 mins, and decided by 40 mins in game time I was refunding.

I’ll buy it once it’s a proper running pc game. I have very nice hardware it’s a shame to waste the experience on a crummy game currently performance wise. If I had older hardware I’d semi understand.

How can I get the EAC launcher where it updates and then shows me the games which utilize it?

Elden Ring appears to only have an setup.exe for EAC
EAC is in any games directory that uses it. You need another game that isn't Elden to make this work, I used Hunts to repair the Elden Ring install and boom no more stutters.

EAC is in any games directory that uses it. You need another game that isn't Elden to make this work, I used Hunts to repair the Elden Ring install and boom no more stutters.
Ah. this is probably linked to 2 very early reports I saw of people updating the Epic games launcher and having a better experience with Elden Ring. It probably checked EAC in the process.

I don't have an Epic account...

there are ways to completely disable the EAC and it doesn't change how the game runs in the slightest. however if you already had some issue with EAC going on like an older version installed first or something then it can screw with things.

Ah. this is probably linked to 2 very early reports I saw of people updating the Epic games launcher and having a better experience with Elden Ring. It probably checked EAC in the process.

I don't have an Epic account...

Nope, I opened Epic Launcher like 2 days ago... Just launched it now, no updates..

It made ZERO difference.

Damn shame..
at least you know it's not your system, it's the game. watching for patch news with a keen eye!

It runs great for me but within a few minutes it was clear how massively overhyped it was.

After 30 minutes, I threw in the towel and returned it for a refund.

Microstuttering is improved if I turn off freesync.

**quadruple checked. this game absolutely doesn't like freesync on my system. It doesn't fix the lurches and rubberbanding type stuff. But a lot of the little stutters and hiccups are gone.

Last edited:
It runs great for me but within a few minutes it was clear how massively overhyped it was.

After 30 minutes, I threw in the towel and returned it for a refund.

how on earth can someone tell 'within a few minutes' if a huge open world game like Elden Ring is overhyped?...sounds like you already had your mind made up before launching the game

Got my spellcaster to 26 today and aside from very occasional few-second stutters, it's been fine. DID just get the HP regen ring which helps some. Also found out about the dragon in the marsh behind the starting zone though. That will be for much later. lol

Digital Foundry: Do not tear your hair out looking to try the latest voodoo user fixes which purport to fix the stuttering issues in Elden Ring PC. It will all be placebo. Being a DX12 game, means the issues can really only be fixed by devs

DX12 gives a developer near exclusive control over the GPU - so issues that crop up cannot be so easily fixed by the user or driver in the end as they lack the tools and access to make a large difference

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1497112210711142421

how on earth can someone tell 'within a few minutes' if a huge open world game like Elden Ring is overhyped?...sounds like you already had your mind made up before launching the game

This - either a noob or just a liar and didn't buy it. Especially since it ran good for him..... makes no sense.

Anywho - I went ahead and bought it. Downloading now. Hopefully it runs good for me :)

Update -

And hey. Wtf? It's not even full screen?

sFu5l2d.jpg

Whatever. Runs decent for me. Specs below. It's automatically set it high and hasn't dipped much at all.

Really sucks no ultra widescreen support just yet. But it's running smooth enough to continue. Let's see.

Last edited:
Back