Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

my 24% off code from greenmangaming isn't working. their email says it should work for another hour.
they responded more quickly than usual. They said that they ended the promotion early and there is nothing they can do for me!

**I am politely telling them that they should honor the discount for me. I was ready to spend the money.

***no go. They said that the "unique" emailed codes were actually shareable and they got abused.

that isn't my fault. dumb.

Last edited:
Noticing the stutters, it's not awful on my system, but they are there. They seem to be related to the typical stuff I see in games where shaders are first being compiled/loaded on a system. At least that's what they seem like to me. Pretty typical to a number of other games where i've seen this.

Noticing the stutters, it's not awful on my system, but they are there. They seem to be related to the typical stuff I see in games where shaders are first being compiled/loaded on a system. At least that's what they seem like to me. Pretty typical to a number of other games where i've seen this.
It may get flagged by the anti-cheat software but.....I wonder if any of the Vulkan wrappers would improve things. Here's one:
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/2149848024140726141/

If you are worried about getting banned----you can make another steam account. Even with the same email address. And then launch the game (link the your steam library with the friend/family sharing features) with that account, when using any bannable or potentially bannable mods.

so yeah, i see the stutters immediately, like you said, clearly associated with both streaming in areas and probably shader compilation as well. the first big bad you run into immediately stuttered for each particle effect that popped. then there are stutters tied directly to loading areas as you run around. those are fixed to a specific spot and don't go away no matter how many times i run back and forth to try to "cache" it. for example where you get the "strong" emote, as you run from the watery area to where the emote is, hard stutters every time. it's not the tiny little hiccup like in Dark Souls 3. it's like a half second or so series of 5 or 6 hitching frames. way way worse than DS3 or Sekiro.

these are pretty serious imho. definitely needs patching. the occasional 'burp' streaming in new areas i could live with, but when i see big stutters when a boss appears, literally affect my ability to dodge... well that's no good for a From game.

i have no doubt a LOT of people will downplay these and apologize on behalf of From for whatever reason... but it's really not acceptable in its current state. i noticed the input lag was quite good at 60hz, wonder if they're doing some sort of immediate frame presentation that's good for fighting input latency but it's choking displayed frames when other tasks are queued.

Have 2 rigs. One with the 3070 has the latest drivers and max yes of 2560*1440. Other rig has a 3060Ti, 4k, some old driver. Both max details. 3070 rig is very slow compared to the 3060Ti. I can only assume the latest drivers aren't optimized.

Have 2 rigs. One with the 3070 has the latest drivers and max yes of 2560*1440. Other rig has a 3060Ti, 4k, some old driver. Both max details. 3070 rig is very slow compared to the 3060Ti. I can only assume the latest drivers aren't optimized.
kind of hard to directly compare two different GPUs, at 1440p vs 4k isn't it?

People are reporting that their framerates are going well over 60-----even though it was supposed to be limited to 60.

lol so playing around with some stuff, i discovered that if i force 30 fps by using nvidia inspector to set 1/2 vsync and run it at 60hz, the stutters are gone, at least the area loading ones. From really pulled a "we still don't know how to code for 60fps." i bet it is tied to frame presentation as i mentioned above and basically, things grinding to a halt if there's below a certain amount of frame time when a background task like asset loading or shader compilation occurs.

so yeah, i see the stutters immediately, like you said, clearly associated with both streaming in areas and probably shader compilation as well. the first big bad you run into immediately stuttered for each particle effect that popped. then there are stutters tied directly to loading areas as you run around. those are fixed to a specific spot and don't go away no matter how many times i run back and forth to try to "cache" it. for example where you get the "strong" emote, as you run from the watery area to where the emote is, hard stutters every time. it's not the tiny little hiccup like in Dark Souls 3. it's like a half second or so series of 5 or 6 hitching frames. way way worse than DS3 or Sekiro.

these are pretty serious imho. definitely needs patching. the occasional 'burp' streaming in new areas i could live with, but when i see big stutters when a boss appears, literally affect my ability to dodge... well that's no good for a From game.

i have no doubt a LOT of people will downplay these and apologize on behalf of From for whatever reason... but it's really not acceptable in its current state. i noticed the input lag was quite good at 60hz, wonder if they're doing some sort of immediate frame presentation that's good for fighting input latency but it's choking displayed frames when other tasks are queued.
I've fought a couple mini-bosses now and honestly it's pretty smooth. So it's not every boss. Not really sure.

Playing at 1440 high preset on a 2080 super, 12700k. Dell Gsync monitor.

I have not experienced any game breaking stutters so far. Some minor annoyances but overall nothing at all I’d expect complaining about on a day one release on pc.

What are your settings?
it's not going to matter.

telling you right now, it's going to be a shitshow trying to get From to fix this. people are going to a) claim the game is literally running flawlessly with not even a single dip dishonestly because it's From and they can't accept it could have a major flaw, b) acknowledge "some light minor stuttering but nothing bothersome" either because they just don't care about framedrop or they don't "want" to see it or c) see the problem, acknowledge the problem and understand the problem. instead of discussing what the culprit may be or trying to get the appropriate word to From/Bandai, it's just gonna be a constant circle jerk trying to settle what the facts even are.

people like me who acknowledge the issue and push for a fix will get attacked by group a AND group b for either being a From "hater" or being "overly sensitive" to it.

if anyone ends up able to show conclusively, via a video recorded off-pc with a frametime graph overlay and zero stutters at 60 fps i'll eat my fucking shoes, live on webcam.

edit: also solidarity with Ukraine because this shit is stupid in comparison. lol

it's not going to matter.

telling you right now, it's going to be a shitshow trying to get From to fix this. people are going to a) claim the game is literally running flawlessly with not even a single dip dishonestly because it's From and they can't accept it could have a major flaw, b) acknowledge "some light minor stuttering but nothing bothersome" either because they just don't care about framedrop or they don't "want" to see it or c) see the problem, acknowledge the problem and understand the problem. instead of discussing what the culprit may be or trying to get the appropriate word to From/Bandai, it's just gonna be a constant circle jerk trying to settle what the facts even are.

people like me who acknowledge the issue and push for a fix will get attacked by group a AND group b for either being a From "hater" or being "overly sensitive" to it.

if anyone ends up able to show conclusively, via a video recorded off-pc with a frametime graph overlay and zero stutters at 60 fps i'll eat my fucking shoes, live on webcam.

edit: also solidarity with Ukraine because this shit is stupid in comparison. lol

I've burned 29 mins in the game....debating on just refunding at this point. Its beyond unplayable with my 3080ti.

I've burned 29 mins in the game....debating on just refunding at this point. Its beyond unplayable with my 3080ti.
i certainly wouldn't go beyond 2 hours yet... it could be patched in 24 hours, a week, 6 months or literally never. i can't refund due to buying from GMG so i'll probably screw around helplessly trying to find a workaround, lol, but otherwise i'll be waiting to see what develops as far as patch news. the game looks gorgeous (way better in person than in compressed videos on YT or twitter, thats for damn sure) and is obviously great in all its other aspects so i don't want to Tarnish (ha ha) my experience with the technical crap.

What are your settings?
4k, max settings besides having motion blur off, because fuck that.

5900X/3080ti/G-Sync

Hardware doesn't seem to matter much though. The zone transition stutters absolutely happen 100% of the time. Other stutters are very random. I can go a while fighting multiple enemies & mini-bosses with no issues, but all of a sudden they just appear. No clue.

5900X/3080ti/G-Sync

Hardware doesn't seem to matter much though. The zone transition stutters absolutely happen 100% of the time. Other stutters are very random. I can go a while fighting multiple enemies & mini-bosses with no issues, but all of a sudden they just appear. No clue.
that's how it is for me too. if you're able to accept them i truly envy you, i want to play this so fucking bad, but like i said, not gonna mar an otherwise amazing experience having to deal with this.

5900X/3080ti/G-Sync

It's clear that this game needs some patches. I'm going to wait a bit before getting fully into it.

that's how it is for me too. if you're able to accept them i truly envy you, i want to play this so fucking bad, but like i said, not gonna mar an otherwise amazing experience having to deal with this.
If I turned off g-sync i'm 100% confident i'd be noticing more stutters almost constantly. However, g-sync seems to really smooth a lot of them out. It's only the really bad ones that i'm able to notice.

If I turned off g-sync i'm 100% confident i'd be noticing more stutters almost constantly. However, g-sync seems to really smooth a lot of them out. It's only the really bad ones that i'm able to notice.
one of the things i've already tried is disabling gsync. it's exactly the same. just fyi.

a tool like Special K that allows for changing buffer flip mode might provide some insight into this, but EAC would definitely need to be disabled (offline play only.) i hate how that tool is maintained and distributed though, so i'll wait for someone else to toy around with that

so why does the PC version have stuttering and frame drops while the PS5 version doesn't (at least not to this extreme)?...is the anti-cheat implementation to blame?...DX12?

This will be waiting for me about 1am on PS5 I feel weird posting here but no one's cares in console gaming.

so why does the PC version have stuttering and frame drops while the PS5 version doesn't (at least not to this extreme)?...is the anti-cheat implementation to blame?...DX12?
well you could ask the same question about every pc port that performs like poo compared to its console equivalent. it's just gonna depend on the game. in this case, i already tried disabling EAC and playing offline but it's identical. i think the simplest explanation is mistakes on From's part with handling DX12 but that is pure conjecture.

I can't understand how these streamers are having zero issues....and christ....its completely unplayable for others.

Holy shit this game looks sick. I mostly play CSGO and the last game I got was CP77 which I played through once but haven't touched since, but this... this could be the reason I get passed over for at least one promotion :D

INNNNNNNNN tomorrow

Nothing wring with EAC and DX12.
It mostly likely "their implementation" of EAC and/or DX12.
It's clear that PS5 was the lead development platform for this game (Most likely runs on Vulkan on PS5) and ported to PC and XSX.

Because the PC version needs to be able to work with an infinite set of different hardware/software variables, whereas the console versions have very tightly controlled hardware and software specs.

I can't understand how these streamers are having zero issues....and christ....its completely unplayable for others.
Most streamers aren't actually playing on PC. It's just a stream of their console.

So the PC reviews were overly generous. At this state I would give it 75 max. Otherwise developers will never learn to respect PC platform if they are able to release a game with these types of issues and get 95 average PC review score.

Nothing wring with EAC and DX12.
It mostly likely "their implementation" of EAC.

I'm guessing the anti-cheat was added in at the last minute due to the recent issues forcing the Dark Souls servers to be taken offline...so they had to rush to put in a fix...hopefully this is something that can be optimized in the coming weeks...would be a shame to see a masterpiece like this suffer due to performance

Sigh. Man it looks great on PC....might just refund and play on PS5 then :/
Just wait. It's not like there aren't other games to play. You can refund it, and wait until it's fixed and buy it again.

Some people suggesting that you install epic launcher and make sure it's fully updated. Epic owns EAC and it appears there could be some weirdness there.

Elden Ring is off to a pretty strong start on Steam...developer From Software's new open world action-adventure RPG has peaked at 672,351 concurrent players on just its first day, putting it just behind Lost Ark (which, as of this writing, sits at 691,723 players)

Back