Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

A game can simply be an all-time great to an individual. I consider Dark Souls 1 and all-time great and Dark Souls 3 is at least in my personal ballpark (top 15 or so). It's tough to base greatness on anything you read online. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and the only way most get noticed is if they say something is either the best or worst. It's why minor stuff gets blown out of proportion and there's a 10/10 game being released every other month. I barely even include anything prior to 2000'ish in my all-time list. Different era, different expectations.
IMO, Souls games transcend the usual game release circlejerk. The reviews don't even matter - review sites may as well take the day off and run a random number generator between 7.5-10 for all that their drivel will be worth - chubby cheeked "game reviewers" under pressure to be edgy, contrarian and negative for the clickz.

This game is one of the rare privileges in videogaming where FROMSoft releases a new game. Meaning you can confidently draw the blinds, ignore the internet and hole up with a game knowing you're in for a ride and its going to be quality. And the only experience that matters is your own.

Last edited:
IMO, Souls games transcend the usual game release circlejerk. The reviews don't even matter - review sites may as well take the day off and run a random number generator between 7.5-10 for all that their drivel will be worth - chubby cheeked "game reviewers" under pressure to be edgy, contrarian and negative for the clickz.

This game is one of the rare privileges in videogaming where FROMSoft releases a new game. Meaning you can conifdently draw the blinds, ignore the internet and hole up with a game knowing you're in for a ride and its going to be quality. And the only experience that matters is your own.
Stuff like this has been said about different studios, most of which have dropped the ball at some point, recently CP2077 comes to mind.

For me the launch can't come fast enough, tired of seeing this game pop up everywhere, not going to play it anyways as I have no interest at all in games from this company, just need the hype to go away.

Stuff like this has been said about different studios, most of which have dropped the ball at some point, recently CP2077 comes to mind.

For me the launch can't come fast enough, tired of seeing this game pop up everywhere, not going to play it anyways as I have no interest at all in games from this company, just need the hype to go away.
i was going to say the exact same thing, even referencing cp2077 lol. the real factor, as always, is the human one... a development team is (obviously) comprised of human beings. if the mix of people that synergized so well to make beloved games changes at some point (people leaving to start their own companies, join other developers, retire, whatever) than you might as well be looking at an entirely different team and resultant product.

of course it makes sense to have higher expectations from a developer once they've created a great track record, but you have to always keep the above in mind.

i was going to say the exact same thing, even referencing cp2077 lol. the real factor, as always, is the human one... a development team is (obviously) comprised of human beings. if the mix of people that synergized so well to make beloved games changes at some point (people leaving to start their own companies, join other developers, retire, whatever) than you might as well be looking at an entirely different team and resultant product.

of course it makes sense to have higher expectations from a developer once they've created a great track record, but you have to always keep the above in mind.

based on the Network test and the recent 6 hour no restrictions early impressions I think it's pretty much a lock that Elden Ring is going to be met with universal praise...the chances of the game going downhill after 6 hours is pretty slim...not to mention FromSoft's track record...GOTY at the very least

based on the Network test and the recent 6 hour no restrictions early impressions I think it's pretty much a lock that Elden Ring is going to be met with universal praise...the chances of the game going downhill after 6 hours is pretty slim...not to mention FromSoft's track record...GOTY at the very least
i agree in this case, that's why i preordered the game. :)

Souls games aren't typically my thing but maybe that needs to change. This just looks too epic to pass up.

The next souls game might be 5 years away games look really labor intensive.

Last edited:
I appreciate these games for what they are but I have yet to finish one despite owning most of them. If I manage to finish Demon Souls on PS5 I’ll grab Elden Ring on sale.

I intend to wait on some reviews from sources I trust, but this is looking damn good!!

I appreciate these games for what they are but I have yet to finish one despite owning most of them. If I manage to finish Demon Souls on PS5 I’ll grab Elden Ring on sale.
Eh to me Elden Ring looks much better than Demon Souls was. Despite the graphical update for PS5, that game still retained all of it's original (and very old) mechanics. I think this game will be slightly less annoying and potentially more forgiving in some ways. Haven't watched many vids but that's just my guess, and if I had to continue guessing, this one will undoubtedly sell the most copies of all of the games.

Global release time on PC is Thursday at 23:00 UTC.
1645458551713.png

I'm not going to play it this week alot stuff going on maybe next week. Stupid remodel going on at work.

Hopefully my hotel has decent internet this week so I can try it out Thursday night.

I’m also hopeful the kb/m controls are decent. All I have are GameStop Xbox 360 controllers and either they suck or I just have no business using a controller.

All I have are GameStop Xbox 360 controllers and either they suck or I just have no business using a controller.

I snagged an official xbox one controller from gamestop a while back for $40... Totally worth it over the RockCandy controllers I was using prior

I snagged an official xbox one controller from gamestop a while back for $40... Totally worth it over the RockCandy controllers I was using prior

I have two of those they are nicer than last gen. No console to go with it Walmart has about 100 next gen controllers but no consoles to sell.

I’m also hopeful the kb/m controls are decent. All I have are GameStop Xbox 360 controllers and either they suck or I just have no business using a controller.

Are they actually Gamestop branded or did you just happen to buy a 360 controller there? Ideally, I'd recommend a real Xbox One/X or PS4/PS5 pad. They'll all work with a cord or via Bluetooth, although I'd only recommend that option if you have a new Bluetooth radio in your PC. You can get a (highly recommended) Xbox controller wireless adapter bundle, but it's not exactly the cheapest option: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-wireless-controller-adapter-win10

Are they actually Gamestop branded or did you just happen to buy a 360 controller there? Ideally, I'd recommend a real Xbox One/X or PS4/PS5 pad. They'll all work with a cord or via Bluetooth, although I'd only recommend that option if you have a new Bluetooth radio in your PC. You can get a (highly recommended) Xbox controller wireless adapter bundle, but it's not exactly the cheapest option: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-wireless-controller-adapter-win10
this ^.

i take it green man gaming does not get keys until after release time?
If past experiences are any indication, it's automated. You'll get an email as soon as they are able to deliver a key.

I've always gotten them the day of release. So if Elden Ring for PC goes live Thursday 6 PM EST, worse case scenario is you get an email midnight Friday (when consoles release).

If past experiences are any indication, it's automated. You'll get an email as soon as they are able to deliver a key.

I've always gotten them the day of release. So if Elden Ring for PC goes live Thursday 6 PM EST, worse case scenario is you get an email midnight Friday (when consoles release).

Yeah, every time I've used GMG or CDKeys, the codes have been functional when pre-loads begin. Even if you don't get and email alert, it's worth seeing if they have a code available you when pre-loads go live.

GMG is a mixed bag. They ran out of Monster Hunter Rise keys and missed having them out at launch by a few hours. The same week God Of War was releasing and they sent out keys days before the launch.

They're gamestop branded, says it right on them. I was actually going to try using my Switch Pro controller but I guess I never used it enough and the battery in it is completely dead, won't come on after being on the charger for days, only works when plugged in.

I'll look into getting a newer Xbox controller.

my hardest decision has been whether or not i want to play this on my pc or my ps5. my ps5 is literally collecting dust, and i have 2 RL friends getting it for PS5, but playstation makes it REALLY hard when they charge 70 bucks for a game that you can get for 15% off on PC day one, not to mention playing on a 3090 with a better framerate. biggest PC downfall for dark souls games imo is hackers invading you. something tells me people will have trainers active in this game quick.

my hardest decision has been whether or not i want to play this on my pc or my ps5. my ps5 is literally collecting dust, and i have 2 RL friends getting it for PS5, but playstation makes it REALLY hard when they charge 70 bucks for a game that you can get for 15% off on PC day one, not to mention playing on a 3090 with a better framerate. biggest PC downfall for dark souls games imo is hackers invading you. something tells me people will have trainers active in this game quick.
Double dip? Also it's only $60 on playstation store. The game is bound to be 99% locked at 60fps on PS5, but maybe can get better image quality on pc later I guess.

Back