Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Dare I say it...but it looks too much like Dark Souls to me. I'm all for more Dark Souls, but I think I was hoping for even more deviation from that style of game. Still, it looks cool. Plus, I appreciate that it isn't coming in like 3 years.

Dare I say it...but it looks too much like Dark Souls to me. I'm all for more Dark Souls, but I think I was hoping for even more deviation from that style of game. Still, it looks cool. Plus, I appreciate that it isn't coming in like 3 years.

it does look like Dark Souls 4...not a bad thing but I was also expecting something a bit different

Last edited:
I think that despite Miyazaki saying that Dark Souls was done that this takes place in the same universe as the rest of the Souls games do. The title slide at the end of the trailer reinforces that thought.

So if that wasn't the finale Dorito Pope was referencing, what will be the finale?

I'm a little disappointed in the graphics too, but ahh well as long as the gameplay is fun that's all that really matters =)

the visuals look really impressive...just from the trailer alone you can see the amazing level design and enemy design that From Software is known for...Elden Ring is finally coming soon!!

Last edited:
ELDEN RING - Screenshot (1).jpgELDEN RING - Screenshot (2).jpgELDEN RING - Screenshot (3).jpgELDEN RING - Screenshot (4).jpgELDEN RING - Screenshot (5).jpgELDEN RING - Screenshot (6).jpgELDEN RING - Screenshot (7).jpgELDENRING_01_4K.jpgELDENRING_02_4K.jpgELDENRING_03_4K.jpgELDENRING_04_4K.jpgELDENRING_05_4K.jpgELDENRING_06_4K.jpgELDENRING_07_4K.jpgELDENRING_08_4K.jpgELDENRING_09_4K.jpgELDENRING_10_4K.jpgELDENRING_11_4K.jpgELDENRING_12_4K.jpgELDENRING_13_4K.jpgELDENRING_14_4K.jpgELDENRING_15_4K.jpgELDENRING_17_4K.jpgELDENRING_16_4K.jpg

in the gameplay trailer the horse is with you in certain boss fights...so you have to bring the horse with you or can you defeat the boss without it?...I'm guessing you will need the horse to pull off some moves or get to certain points that are not accessible otherwise

Story looks promising, but graphics is very disappointing, expected more from a 2022 title. It was designed for last generation of consoles and it definitely shows.

Game looks gorgeous, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I am not talking about art direction. I am talking about quality of models, foliage, lightning and rest of the technical aspects. Decisively last generation. It's very obvious that it lacks in that department. That does not make for a bad game.

Game looks gorgeous, I have no idea what you're talking about.
I was kind of hoping it would look more like the Demon Souls remaster.
This looks straight up like DS3 - not that that's a bad thing - but it's definitely a generation old.
None of that matters to me though - all I care about is the combat and if I can min/max with my own classes again (unlike Sekiro which I skipped).

This game has been in development for a long time and has always been a PS4 class game.

However, Dark Souls 3 is still a great looking game. And this definitely puts a noticeable layer of refinement on that. I'm expecting true 4K/60 with minimal drops, on PS5/Series X. And 4K60 on PC with something like a 6700xt/3070. And some really clean image quality on top of that.

They may even try to do some Ray Traced Ambient Occlusion and shadowing. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

There are a whole lot of little visual motif's and varied things going on here. Feels very adventurous. In that sense, reminds me a lot of Dark Souls 2, actually. Which is a good thing.

I don't feel like that trailer showed enough gameplay specifics and I do fear it won't be quite enough of an evolution from Dark Souls, as I would hope. But...hopefully it actually turns out to be. But even if it isn't, I cannot deny that art direction and world we've just been presented. Half the reason I play games is to explore imaginative stuff.

Last edited:
fantastic article...a must-read...

Elden Ring: The Big Hidetaka Miyazaki Interview

as with any game created by Hidetaka Miyazaki, that gameplay trailer has left even more mysteries to be solved...thankfully, we were lucky enough to sit down for an hour with the legendary game developer, and talk through our biggest questions about the game after its first true showing – and we learned a lot more, from how George R.R. Martin's involvement worked, to its almost Pokemon-like spirit summoning mechanic

The Lands Between is made up of six major areas, each of which is the domain of a major demigod character...Miyazaki says that it will be apparent there is an “order” to how players can tackle these six areas, but you don’t have to follow it...“We wanted to give a free level of progression and exploration through the Lands Between, so there’s a lot of different ways. You won’t be able to access everything from the start, but there are a lot of different ways you can approach each area. And there’s a lot of freedom as to which order you tackle different areas as well.”

Miyazaki broke it down further, explaining that each of the six areas will “house its own mainline dungeon map,” which seamlessly connects to the Lands Between. There’s even a “hub” – not unlike Dark Souls' Firelink Shrine – which players can branch out from that can be accessed a little later in the game...

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-miyazaki-hidetaka-full-interview-summer-of-gaming

fantastic article...a must-read...

Elden Ring: The Big Hidetaka Miyazaki Interview

as with any game created by Hidetaka Miyazaki, that gameplay trailer has left even more mysteries to be solved...thankfully, we were lucky enough to sit down for an hour with the legendary game developer, and talk through our biggest questions about the game after its first true showing – and we learned a lot more, from how George R.R. Martin's involvement worked, to its almost Pokemon-like spirit summoning mechanic

The Lands Between is made up of six major areas, each of which is the domain of a major demigod character...Miyazaki says that it will be apparent there is an “order” to how players can tackle these six areas, but you don’t have to follow it...“We wanted to give a free level of progression and exploration through the Lands Between, so there’s a lot of different ways. You won’t be able to access everything from the start, but there are a lot of different ways you can approach each area. And there’s a lot of freedom as to which order you tackle different areas as well.”

Miyazaki broke it down further, explaining that each of the six areas will “house its own mainline dungeon map,” which seamlessly connects to the Lands Between. There’s even a “hub” – not unlike Dark Souls' Firelink Shrine – which players can branch out from that can be accessed a little later in the game...

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-miyazaki-hidetaka-full-interview-summer-of-gaming
Sounds like a more ambitious version of Demon's Souls.

George R. R. Martin: Elden Ring "is a sequel" to Dark Souls

Martin was asked about how different it is working on a videogame, as opposed to being a fantasy fiction writer. "Actually it's considerably different," replies Martin. "I've played some videogames. I'm not a big video gamer. But the game is called the Elden Ring and it's a sequel to a game that came out a few years ago called Dark Souls and it came out of Japan"...

https://www.pcgamer.com/george-r-r-martin-elden-ring-is-a-sequel-to-dark-souls/

this looks *exactly* like i imagined it would, and yet somehow i'm still even more hyped.
Exactly the opposite. I was somewhat hyped for the game, but the trailer made it all go away. It couldn't be more generic if it tried. Like I was watching a mashup video from lord of the rings and all generic dark souls clones at the same time. Yeah right, walking pots, that's where I zoned out completely.

Exactly the opposite. I was somewhat hyped for the game, but the trailer made it all go away. It couldn't be more generic if it tried. Like I was watching a mashup video from lord of the rings and all generic dark souls clones at the same time. Yeah right, walking pots, that's where I zoned out completely.

For Dark Souls games I'm all about the game play and sense of discovery. Yeah this looks a lot more like Dark Souls then I was expecting but my excitement meter is still pegged. I can't believe in 6 months we will have a new unknown Fromsoft world to explore and discover.

George R. R. Martin: Elden Ring "is a sequel" to Dark Souls

Martin was asked about how different it is working on a videogame, as opposed to being a fantasy fiction writer. "Actually it's considerably different," replies Martin. "I've played some videogames. I'm not a big video gamer. But the game is called the Elden Ring and it's a sequel to a game that came out a few years ago called Dark Souls and it came out of Japan"...

https://www.pcgamer.com/george-r-r-martin-elden-ring-is-a-sequel-to-dark-souls/
Called it. The Souls universe reaches all the way back to the original King's Field that came out in 1994.

Called it. The Souls universe reaches all the way back to the original King's Field that came out in 1994.

I think that quote from GRRM was a bit mis-interpreted...GRRM is not a gamer and I think he misspoke...he was probably given a briefing about From Software's history and the Dark Souls series and he took it to mean Elden Ring was a 'sequel' when it's more of an evolution of the Souls series

For Dark Souls games I'm all about the game play and sense of discovery. Yeah this looks a lot more like Dark Souls then I was expecting but my excitement meter is still pegged. I can't believe in 6 months we will have a new unknown Fromsoft world to explore and discover.

From Software games are unmatched when it comes to exploration, discovery, enemy design and level design...and they always ship without major bugs or delays etc...

I mean, loosely speaking, it wouldn't be a stretch for it to be a sequel to Dark Souls. In the sense of like, showing us what happens after the events of Dark Souls 3. But at that point, it could be anything. Because the ending of Dark Souls III is that a character known as "The Painter" paints a new world.

I have no plans to pre-order without some incentive, but just seeing that makes everything feel more real/official.

Haven't been brutalised by a game in a while, might pre-order this given From has a good track record for PC ports now.

Haven't been brutalised by a game in a while, might pre-order this given From has a good track record for PC ports now.

doesn't sound like Elden Ring is going to have Sekiro level of difficulty...looks more like DS3 difficulty level...either way this is the game of 2022...Cyberpunk levels of hype which will actually come close to meeting expectations

IMO Sekiro wasn't that hard overall. It just happened to have 3 bosses that were absolute bastards...and one was hidden. The other 90% of the game was relatively straightforward once you learn to stop dodging and start mashing parry. Maybe easier than Dark Souls 3, when you factor in certain bosses and (especially) the insanely tough DLC bosses.

Elden Ring: Hands-Off Preview

We saw 15 minutes of Elden Ring gameplay and got our first extended hands-off look at From Software's Latest...check out our first Elden Ring preview to get a better understanding of the way the world is split between the open field, dungeons, and Legacy Dungeons, along with a little taste at what the first legacy dungeon, Stormveil Castle, has in store...

So far I like what they're saying about it. Sounds like the right mix of old and new for my tastes. I just hope they allow you to play as a brute rather than the faster styles from Sekiro and Bloodborne.

one of the biggest takeaways from today's previews is that Elden Ring will have a map you can pull out...you get more fragments of the map as you play and you can mark NPC's, enemies, bosses etc...the game also seems like the most open-ended FromSoftware game to date...sounds like you can go anywhere and do anything right from the start...tons of player choice in a huge open world...I really hope the game doesn't get delayed from January!

Back