Eizo Foris FG2421: 120hz VA Panel

I couldn't keep up with that 1cm bleed on the right side and actually there was some on the left side too, although it was less pronounced on the left. It was impossible to see it on solid colors including black, but on some secondary colors it was simply unbearable. Eizo repair service informed me several days ago that that bleed is not normal, but they managed to remove the eyebrow hair from under the coating. (somehow! :eek:).
Here are the colors where that bleed becomes apparent (I made them for justification of the return for the shop):
HMwQHNGs.png
chFwsAHs.png
FbdvA7vs.png
zudBcQ7s.png

Just make sure you open the images in full screen with no bar on the right or left. ;)

Interesting. With the one I just got, the bleed is noticeable (I would even go so far as to say "distracting") with any color that is not either *very* close to black or *very* close to white. There is also a good deal of bleed coming from the bottom of the screen, although I see almost none coming from the left.

Games and movies have a noticeably brighter strip down the right side. I was expecting some glow from that right side, but I find it hard to believe that it's normal for it to be as bright as the one I got. I always expect backlight bleed to be noticeable in static colors, but I find it a little disturbing that I can notice it during motion and in images that are not a uniform color.

Relating to my stupidity, due to the fact that it took me a full 24 hours to figure out that I had been trying to turn the monitor on with the switch flipped the wrong way, I have already sent an RMA request to Provantage. They shipped a replacement before I had a chance to tell them I was just being dumb. It's already on its way. I feel even more dumb now.

Maybe they'll let me test the replacement to see if the backlight bleed in the one I received is actually normal? ... Yeah, I expect them to say "no" to that request, but meh. Maybe I'll ask anyway.

Last edited:
After my FG2421 disaster i finally made up my mind and got a CX240 to replace my EV2436W.

And oh man, what a freakin beast of a monitor. Adobe RBG looks so great for Games and the fact that it has zero IPS Glow is brilliant. Apart from that, the model i got which is from June 2013 has the new Silent Fan, so it's dead silent aswell.

Lag wise i can't notice anything, but then again i don't play shooters. And ofcourse the screen is 100% Uniform, no bleeding to see anywhere, it's even lit all over.

AG Coating is the same as the FG2421, bit more matte but no crystalization effect.

So are you on your second or third CX240? For twice as much money, I think I would consider the CX240 the "disaster"..

Yeah, two purchases + an RMA for the second one doesn't sound like a slam dunk either... though you did only spend ten minutes with your FG2421 right? The CX240 costs even more then the FG2421 :D

Wide gamut = no thanks. C'mon Asus...

Interesting. With the one I just got, the bleed is noticeable (I would even go so far as to say "distracting") with any color that is not either *very* close to black or *very* close to white. There is also a good deal of bleed coming from the bottom of the screen, although I see almost none coming from the left.

Games and movies have a noticeably brighter strip down the right side. I was expecting some glow from that right side, but I find it hard to believe that it's normal for it to be as bright as the one I got. I always expect backlight bleed to be noticeable in static colors, but I find it a little disturbing that I can notice it during motion and in images that are not a uniform color.

Relating to my stupidity, due to the fact that it took me a full 24 hours to figure out that I had been trying to turn the monitor on with the switch flipped the wrong way, I have already sent an RMA request to Provantage. They shipped a replacement before I had a chance to tell them I was just being dumb. It's already on its way. I feel even more dumb now.

Maybe they'll let me test the replacement to see if the backlight bleed in the one I received is actually normal? ... Yeah, I expect them to say "no" to that request, but meh. Maybe I'll ask anyway.
At first I thought I could tolerate the glow from the sides. In some scenes it was possible to see it clearly and it surely disturbed, in other scenes in games or movies they were barely visible. Enter a cave in Skyrim - that's where it would shine lol. It's like someone was lighting the right (and left) side with a flashlight. Looked like a cheapo TN with that bleed in certain scenes. And the lower the refresh rate, the worse it got.
Try another monitor if you feel lucky, but personally I don't think it's worth it given the amount of bad panels people have got. I really doubt there really are any perfect panels with no TN-like bleed and with power supply that doesn't turn off or color tints or any other defects... Unless you have some direct connection to Eizo staff and ask them very nicely to obtain a perfect sample like Swarog did with his CX240. He wanted the monitor - and he got it in the end. :) Personally I don't want the CG2421 that much. :D I wrote a letter to one of there top managers offering double price plus the coverage of the possible shipping costs, and got no reply. So, to me it's not really worth it to go further, although I got a vague reply from their eizo Nordic support or something like that.
Anyway, it's up to you to decide to try another monitor or not. :D Personally I think - they are all broken and not worth the effort.

ps: I edited my message on the previous page, and added links to the color images that were missing. ;)

So are you on your second or third CX240? For twice as much money, I think I would consider the CX240 the "disaster"..

Not EIZOs fault two Panels of the CX had the exact same problem, after all the panels arn't made by them and the quality check is analog.

In the end i got a PERFECT monitor, and for €900 it's a steal for the CX240.

Wide gamut = no thanks. C'mon Asus...

Different tastes, i love 16:10 since my old S2231W was 16:10 aswell. Wouldn't want anything else.

I can tell English isn't your first language.

People expect tighter quality on "professional" price range monitors and won't put up with bad monitor "luck"/lottery issues they would expect to be more common on a $350 or less monitor.

When he said wide gamut you apparently thought he meant "wide aspect ratio". Perhaps that was lost in translation.

Wide gamut refers to the color range of the monitor:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide-gamut_RGB_color_space

A wide gamut monitor can display a wider range of colors than a "normal" gamut monitor. The more technically correct term is wide color gamut monitor, but when you mention gamut, the term color is implied.

A normal gamut monitor has a color gamut (range of colors that can be produced) that approximately matches sRGB color space. A wide gamut monitor has a color gamut that approximately matches AdobeRGB color space.

No special display card is required to drive a wide gamut monitor, however there is a potential problem using a wide gamut monitor. As previously mentioned, most normal gamut monitors have a color gamut that approximately matches sRGB color space. Virtually all web images are sRGB color space (or they should be). If you view an sRGB image on a wide gamut monitor using a non-color managed application, the image will appear overly saturated (colors are too vibrant). However, if you view an sRGB image using a color managed application, the colors will look correct.

So, as long as you use a fully color managed web browser such as Firefox, a wide gamut monitor will give satisfactory results, although your desktop icons will appear overly saturated (Windows desktop is not color managed). Of course, editing images will require use of a fully color managed app such as Photoshop or Lightroom, but I assume you're already using that.

Selecting an ICC profile for your monitor will ensure accurate color on your monitor (assuming the profile is accurate) when using color managed apps. However, if you use a non-color managed app, the profile won't do anything. You'll still have the problem of sRGB images looking overly saturated.

Regarding 16:10, this is a gaming monitor utilizing 120hz and backlight strobing for high motion definition and essentially zero FoV movement blur. 1st/3rd person games use virtual lenses/virtual cinematography which means a wider aspect ratio will always have a larger FieldOfView (FoV). You are better off running 16:9 mode even on a 16:10 monitor. On a monitor made specifically for high quality gaming I don't see the point of complaining about 16:10.
http://www.web-cyb.org/images/lcds/HOR-plus_scenes-compared_1-sm.jpg

On higher rez monitors (2560x1440, 3840x2160, the vertical for desktop/apps becomes a non-issue as well:
http://www.web-cyb.org/images/lcds/4k_vs_27in_vs_30in_2560_same-ppi.jpg

Last edited:
C'mon Eizo. If you build it--they will come. Take Asus on and slap their Rog Swift around like a two-dollar whore.

1440P 27" Improved 240Turbo Foris. Fix the silly production problems with the FG2421 and shut up and take my money. If you guys do it right and make it ~1000$ people will be forced to admit that spending big money on your display CAN BE as rewarding as spending big money on the rest of your rig.

At first I thought I could tolerate the glow from the sides. In some scenes it was possible to see it clearly and it surely disturbed, in other scenes in games or movies they were barely visible. Enter a cave in Skyrim - that's where it would shine lol. It's like someone was lighting the right (and left) side with a flashlight. Looked like a cheapo TN with that bleed in certain scenes. And the lower the refresh rate, the worse it got.
Try another monitor if you feel lucky, but personally I don't think it's worth it given the amount of bad panels people have got. I really doubt there really are any perfect panels with no TN-like bleed and with power supply that doesn't turn off or color tints or any other defects... Unless you have some direct connection to Eizo staff and ask them very nicely to obtain a perfect sample like Swarog did with his CX240. He wanted the monitor - and he got it in the end. :) Personally I don't want the CG2421 that much. :D I wrote a letter to one of there top managers offering double price plus the coverage of the possible shipping costs, and got no reply. So, to me it's not really worth it to go further, although I got a vague reply from their eizo Nordic support or something like that.
Anyway, it's up to you to decide to try another monitor or not. :D Personally I think - they are all broken and not worth the effort.

ps: I edited my message on the previous page, and added links to the color images that were missing. ;)

We'll see. I'm more interested in the color reproduction (including blacks) for games like Amnesia and Shadowrun Returns, and I'm more interested in the lower input lag (compared to other *VA panels) for games like Overgrowth and Serious Sam 3 BFE. Amnesia's usually dark enough that the backlight glow won't show up. Shadowrun Returns might not be as lucky.

This one seems pretty good other than the glow, so we'll see. If they let me crack open the replacement to compare, I'll just keep the better of the two. I've been able to ignore the bleed for my normal use cases so far, but if it's possible to get one with a bleed that's not quite as bright, I'll give it a shot. Still, this is better than my other LCD experiences thus far - it's good enough to hold me over until gaming-focused OLED monitors start coming out.

I f they could solve the production problems then that would make the fg2421 totally epic monitor.
They should start with official note though, if they are going to do it. Like: "we know there were some qc related problems and now they have been solved but the price is like 40% more now..." That would be awesome.

We'll see. I'm more interested in the color reproduction (including blacks) for games like Amnesia and Shadowrun Returns, and I'm more interested in the lower input lag (compared to other *VA panels) for games like Overgrowth and Serious Sam 3 BFE. Amnesia's usually dark enough that the backlight glow won't show up. Shadowrun Returns might not be as lucky.

This one seems pretty good other than the glow, so we'll see. If they let me crack open the replacement to compare, I'll just keep the better of the two. I've been able to ignore the bleed for my normal use cases so far, but if it's possible to get one with a bleed that's not quite as bright, I'll give it a shot. Still, this is better than my other LCD experiences thus far - it's good enough to hold me over until gaming-focused OLED monitors start coming out.

The CSRs at ProVantage seem pretty human. I would imagine they would let you return the unit you were already returning for BLB instead of DOA, just let them know it's still defective. But yes, that assumes you were going to roll the dice on a new unit because of the bleed on #1, and it may mean you end up with an even worse sample on #2, in which case, you say, nvm I'll just keep the one I had, but this one is defective. Or you send them both back and try again. =) They might just charge the standard shipping for the replacement, at worst.

None of the units I've had have had any "bleed" to speak of the way I think of it, but there is some color distortion of some kind around the edges somewhere usually (and yes, I tend to see it on the right hand side). It doesn't act like BLB because, as you all mostly agree, on dark scenes it's not an issue. I'm dying to set up the quote-unquote "flawless" fg2421 I have being delivered tomorrow, and I'm irritated I couldn't manage to get Amazon/the Seller/UPS to set up a Will-Call hold for me. I hate having monitors dropped off at my door and the dang delivery guy is down the street before anyone even gets a look at the box. No way to refuse delivery that way and I"m sure they prefer that.

I f they could solve the production problems then that would make the fg2421 totally epic monitor.
They should start with official note though, if they are going to do it. Like: "we know there were some qc related problems and now they have been solved but the price is like 40% more now..." That would be awesome.

Yeah, it really is too bad this monitor seems to suffer from QA issues. I agree that when this is finally sorted out, it will be epic. For those who got good screens - it already is. :)

FYI, experience so far:

1) No restarts whatsoever.
2) I notice no crosshatching (or whatever the term is - I'm too tipsy to double check my terminology), or at least nothing that I can see from normal view distance. I notice *some* with certain shades of green, and even then only when I'm *very* close; I'll never be that close to the screen when I'm actually using it. At my normal view distance, even when I'm actively looking for crosshatching of any kind, I can't see it.
3) Slight clouding in the lower right, possibly going away (I'll touch on this later).
4) Bright glow on the right and bottom, possibly going away.

I'm not sure whether I didn't let the panel warm up enough before I started testing it the first time, or if it's gradually getting better over time, or if I'm getting used to the glow; but it seems much more mild than when I first started checking on it. In all of the same images (and static colors) that I was annoyed with at first, it's much less noticeable now. In all of the videos and games that I was bothered by it in, I can barely see it even if I'm looking for it.

The worst, by far, is coming from the bottom right corner, and even that is harder to notice than it was when I was first checking the display. It's still something I notice whenever I look for it, but ... well, I would say that what I would have originally called a 1cm glow is now a 3mm glow. Again, this could very easily be just my brain compensating for the glow, but I'm a heck of a lot more willing to accept what I'm seeing today.

Last edited:
HaHA! Dude from Amazon's unit was indeed pixel perfect and appears to be working well and in mint condition.

All is right in the universe again.

I lied: It has one completely dead pixel on the very extreme edge of the screen (just 1 more pixel between the dead one and the border). It's hardly worth mentioning... infact it just took me a good 5-7 seconds to locate. It was the 2nd or 3rd time I peeked at a completely green screen that it poked out at me. Still... it's not pixel perfect lol. Between that and the missing cable management ring, I'm asking for a price reduction :>

Edit 2: Damn. He found the cable ring lol. So much for the price reduction. Also it appears the dead pixel could just be a speck of dust in between the coating and the panel. I couldn't care less because it's essentially at the border of the screen and basically invisible. This thing is eye-popping, lovely, smooth, gorgeous. Every time I turn it on any consideration of all the bullshit I went through looking for an FG2421 without any obvious defects goes out the window and I'm just happy I found one. I've scrapped my plans for a triple screen setup, though--moving to a bigger house sometime in the near future and then we will reassess, I need a dedicated computer room and we've run out of space.

Last edited:
I have seen most of these monitors in person and I still cant find a monitor that feels like an upgrade to my monitor I bought in 2009.

they just pale in comparison in terms of color production/accuracy, viewing angles and in solid blacks.

the original NEC 2490 Wuxi with ATW-Polarizer.

the only downside is the aggressive AG coating that NEC used, I once took this monitor outside and aimed it directly for the sunlight to hit the screen and I was still able to see things as if I was in a dark room.

I have seen most of these monitors in person and I still cant find a monitor that feels like an upgrade to my monitor I bought in 2009.

they just pale in comparison in terms of color production/accuracy, viewing angles and in solid blacks.

the only downside is the aggressive AG coating that NEC used, I once took this monitor outside and aimed it directly for the sunlight to hit the screen and I was still able to see things as if I was in a dark room.

Well, that's a really really nice monitor and its been just 5 years, so yeah I'm not shocked you aren't being wowed by the shaky new technology we're slurping up in this thread. But 120Hz is what it is: eye-candy. Whether or not it has any affect on peoples K/D ratio in games that are inherently laggy makes no difference to either of us probably--but seeing 120Hz in the showroom isn't exactly the best place to demo it. 120Hz motion (not to mention strobing backlight blur reduction) is something that needs to be taken home and put to bed properly.

The blur reduction is pleasing to those of us who thought Star Trek's "Holodeck" was doable some day. It's not going to make "Shreck" look better, but it makes digital environments more realistic by vastly improving the perception of movement across the display..

I owned and used the NEC 2490 Wuxi for a little less than two years, and it was a fantastic monitor. If you are focused on doing color correct work, it would still be the better choice. For gaming though, I don't really see a comparison here. The difference in motion fidelity and contrast do have a large impact on almost all of the games I play on the PC. You are really comparing two monitors with completely different target audiences.

With that said, I adored my NEC 2490. The only reason I got rid of it was because I moved on to the DoubleSight DS-263N with the A-TW polarizer as I desired a larger display. Both of those monitors have somewhat ruined me for modern IPS displays as I find myself very intolerant of gratuitous IPS glow.

Uh. I'm not sure if I can handle this semi-glossy screen. I hate reflections.

Provantage is letting me test the replacement and just return the one that I'm less fond of. Immediate off-the-bat, knee-jerk reaction: I was right, the glow was far brighter than normal on my first one. My eyes were starting to get used to it (I'm pretty sure it actually wasn't going away, I was just noticing it less), but there were some situations where it would be really bad and I couldn't help but notice. The replacement seems noticeably more uniform.

I'm going to run both side by side tonight and compare uniformity. Unfortunately, I only have one displayport connection on my video card, and I can't find any dual link DVI cables lying around (I just moved to a new apartment on Jan. 15th, and I don't know where anything is - I swear I have a dual link DVI cable somewhere, but I can't find it), so one of them will have to run at 60Hz. But that won't be a problem for testing uniformity.

I also have yet to check the replacement for cross hatching and the like.

This was an interesting display, but I found the 1080p & 23.5" to be distasteful for FPS gaming and the random resetting issue made the decision to return the unit that much easier. However, I would be all over a 27" 1440p or 30" 4k version like a pack of dogs on milk bone underwear!

So far the Asus ROG 1440p swift has my future dollars, but I would much rather have a VA panel version from Eizo.

I also have yet to check the replacement for cross hatching and the like.

Don't scrutinize it! Just enjoy your keeper. So jealous you got a brand new one you like! =) I'm happy with mine but still waiting for refunds to complete from both ProVantage and NewEgg and the whole experience has been pretty frustrating. If you don't count the 3 open boxes I just "had" to check out to try to save a few bucks, it took both of us 2 displays to find one that we were happy with. That's not as bad as all the angst over this model would lead one to expect.

I wonder if there's a chance we'll get a monitor like this but with a matte coating. Still debating whether I can cope with the glossy screen. :(

Last edited:
Why not spend a few $ on a dimmer light (60w equivalent 6500K/daylight LED costs <20$) or control your room lighting instead of waiting for a monitor which will likely never exist? Most manufacturers are not dumb enough to equip their high end panels with grainy matte coatings anymore.

Don't scrutinize it! Just enjoy your keeper. So jealous you got a brand new one you like! =) I'm happy with mine but still waiting for refunds to complete from both ProVantage and NewEgg and the whole experience has been pretty frustrating. If you don't count the 3 open boxes I just "had" to check out to try to save a few bucks, it took both of us 2 displays to find one that we were happy with. That's not as bad as all the angst over this model would lead one to expect.

Yeah, I just want to make sure I keep the better of the two =)

Inspecting the replacement didn't reveal noticeable cross hatching or dead pixels. I have been staring at both of them together for quite a while, now, and my knee-jerk reaction has been reinforced. On static colors, I still see a glow, with the replacement; but they have to be a single uniform color across a good deal of the display to make it noticeable. Any variation at all along the right edge of the image I'm viewing makes the glow hard to notice even when I'm looking for it.

Video is the same way - while the original display had a noticeably lighter line down the side that could sometimes be distracting, the replacement's glow is hard to see even when I'm looking for it.

Minor side note: the replacement is noticeably heavier on green. Color balance looked pretty decent at around 100,98,94 on the first display I received, but to get roughly the same balance on the replacement I have to adjust my colors to around 100,94,97. I don't think that's something that I should consider a problem - it's just kind of interesting to note.

Neither of my monitors are restarting, so far, but then I've only tested the replacement for today. Still, I'm happy. Time to pack up the original display I received and send it back.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's a change we'll get a monitor like this but with a matte coating. Still debating whether I can cope with the glossy screen. :(

It is only *just* glossy. It is not distracting for someone who has never had a glossy screen ever before. I notice the reflections of the backlit keys on my KB when it's on highest setting, turn it down to medium or low and I can't see any reflections anymore no matter the lighting situation. Then again I keep it fairly dim in here. Is this like an office environ were talking here? If not, you will most likely only notice occasionally, and you'll benefit the rest of the time from having a really clear view to the panel underneath. You already have one of these and you find it too glossy then?

Every1 is like matte coating is a devil's work, what about us that always sit in a well lit room with a lamp near the computer to avoid getting tired eyes / prolong your eyesight as long as possible? Do you all live in "mancaves" / don't you care about your eyesight?

For me the graininess is a small price to pay for zero reflections and less stress put on the eyes. I'm 27 yo and been using comps daily for maaaany hours daily in average and well my eyesight is still topnotch which I value.

Last edited:
Why not spend a few $ on a dimmer light (60w equivalent 6500K/daylight LED costs <20$) or control your room lighting instead of waiting for a monitor which will likely never exist? Most manufacturers are not dumb enough to equip their high end panels with grainy matte coatings anymore.

Not sure why you're so hostile. Should stop and think a moment about how everyone's situation and personal preference does not match your own necessarily.

It is only *just* glossy. It is not distracting for someone who has never had a glossy screen ever before. I notice the reflections of the backlit keys on my KB when it's on highest setting, turn it down to medium or low and I can't see any reflections anymore no matter the lighting situation. Then again I keep it fairly dim in here. Is this like an office environ were talking here? If not, you will most likely only notice occasionally, and you'll benefit the rest of the time from having a really clear view to the panel underneath. You already have one of these and you find it too glossy then?

I live in a basic 2br apt. My setup has to be in the main living area which you know, has a window. So anything reflects off the screen. Even at night, with low light shit still reflects. I'm pondering how to change my lighting to make this screen worth keeping (even though I have to swap it and try my luck again).

I would debate "just glossy" as well. With a black screen up I can make out my face and everything perfectly. Even browsing this forum there is a "shimmer" which I only realized shortly after first using the monitor that it was ME, I was noticing.

I would debate "just glossy" as well. With a black screen up I can make out my face and everything perfectly. Even browsing this forum there is a "shimmer" which I only realized shortly after first using the monitor that it was ME, I was noticing.

Yeah. I do see what you mean. I have bunches of windows in this room but they are all shaded and it's dim in here 24/7 if not dark. I noticed the reflections immediately on my first unit I received. Never had a glossy screen at home before and it shocked me just a little bit. I never did decide it was unpleasant though. I fell in love with this monitor but it was like falling for a mean girl. I've begun planning again for 2 more... if I ever get my money back from Provantage and Newegg lol. The 2 refunds I'm still waiting on have both been approved but ProVantage is REALLY slow and NewEgg is occasionally completely confused about what it's doing. If the auto-systems at NE fail it's like they have to start writing snail mail letters to the other departments to kick them back on.

Just had the replacement go black for a split second - is that the restarting that you guys are talking about?

It happened only a few minutes after I turned the display on, this morning, so I'll wait to see if it happens again later. I didn't notice any restarts yesterday, though, and I used it for several hours.

Yeah. I do see what you mean. I have bunches of windows in this room but they are all shaded and it's dim in here 24/7 if not dark. I noticed the reflections immediately on my first unit I received. Never had a glossy screen at home before and it shocked me just a little bit...

I do have blackout curtains that I've been meaning to put up, perhaps I'll do that this weekend and it will help. Well I'm sure it will help with light from the window, it's night time that I would still need to figure out.

Didn't expect such a "backlash" for a small comment though.

Too bad I missed Murzilka's comment, I'm sure it was great.

I do have blackout curtains that I've been meaning to put up, perhaps I'll do that this weekend and it will help. Well I'm sure it will help with light from the window, it's night time that I would still need to figure out.

Didn't expect such a "backlash" for a small comment though.

Too bad I missed Murzilka's comment, I'm sure it was great.

I have my office set up with the monitors backed up against a double set of large windows, and the curtains are usually open. I also have a window to the right side of the monitors that usually has a blackout curtain on it. This still allows some natural light in, but I don't have any issues with the semi-glossy coating. I think if you can manage to control the lighting a little bit, you shouldn't run into any issues.

I previously had the same setup but with tempered glass monitors, and the reflection caused issues during certain times of the day. I find the Eizo's semi-glossy to be much more tolerable in that regard.

Just had the replacement go black for a split second - is that the restarting that you guys are talking about?

It happened only a few minutes after I turned the display on, this morning, so I'll wait to see if it happens again later. I didn't notice any restarts yesterday, though, and I used it for several hours.

a split second?

nope. the restarts are full on as if you turned the power button on the monitor off and back on again, it takes about 5 seconds. If you have the logo option on youll see the Eizo brandname flash even. It must have been your graphics card adjusting something. Don't be so jumpy! :)

Edit: The one I have now has not restarted at all, but I've added an extra variable which Vega brought up... clean power--I bought a basic line-conditioning uninterruptable power supply. I believe Murzilka said he had an AVR UPS he was using and still getting restarts, so that should sort of point the finger at faulty power supplies in the restarting units. But the new one from Provantage with the dead pixel center screen did it, too. Never use cash with ProVantage, you'll be waiting weeks and weeks to get it back if you need a refund. I told the Amazon Marketplace seller that if mine restarted even once in the 14 days I would be returning it and he didn't flinch. He said it had 120 hours on it and had never once restarted. Want my damn orange ring though! XD

Last edited:
a split second?

nope. the restarts are full on as if you turned the power button on the monitor off and back on again, it takes about 5 seconds. If you have the logo option on youll see the Eizo brandname flash even. It must have been your graphics card adjusting something. Don't be so jumpy! :)

Edit: The one I have now has not restarted at all, but I've added an extra variable which Vega brought up... clean power--I bought a basic line-conditioning uninterruptable power supply. I believe Murzilka said he had an AVR UPS he was using and still getting restarts, so that should sort of point the finger at faulty power supplies in the restarting units. But the new one from Provantage with the dead pixel center screen did it, too. Never use cash with ProVantage, you'll be waiting weeks and weeks to get it back if you need a refund. I told the Amazon Marketplace seller that if mine restarted even once in the 14 days I would be returning it and he didn't flinch. He said it had 120 hours on it and had never once restarted. Want my damn orange ring though! XD

Psh, I'll be jumpy if I want!

Yeah, dunno what happened. Maybe I forgot to run nvidia-settings as root last time, and then when I saved my settings, they got stored in my home directory; the black screen could have been the drivers applying some userland settings. I don't think nvidia-settings ever used to do anything like that, but that could have changed.

Or it could have been enlightenment fighting with nvidia about how the screens are laid out. Enlightenment likes to apply its own settings using xrandr, and the experience has been ... well, less than stable.

Either way, it hasn't happened again, so far.

I currently own the VG248QE and loved lightboost 120hz, but the colors, even after calibration, were getting to me. It was like playing games in grayscale. I was planning on holding out for the new 27" ASUS with gsync, but after hearing that it had a matte screen and a TN panel, I decided instead to purchase the FG2421. I was more than a little worried about the bad experiences posted here, but decided to give it a shot.

I got my FG2421 today from Provantage and the first thing I noticed while trying out some games was the contrast. The blacks are just unbelievable on this monitor. I couldn't believe what a difference it made for me.

The motion clarity with Turbo240 is very similar to what I had with lightboost 120hz on the VG248QE. In fact, I can't really tell much of a difference there. It is very smooth in games at 120fps. It also doesn't have the ill effects of lightboost running at low fps which is a major plus.

I calibrated my FG2421 monitor a little while ago with a Spyder4 and the colors are just superb. I am very pleased with the monitor and now realize what I really didn't like about TN and IPS monitors -- the blacks are essentially grays and it ruins the image, at least for me.

No problems with the screen as far as I can tell. I am very happy with this monitor so far. In fact, I wish I had purchased it months ago. If they come out with a 1440P version of this monitor, I'd buy it in a second.

I bought an FS2333 about a year ago. I'm extremely fond of it, but I'm considering 'upgrading' to the FG2421. Reading through this thread I'm not really sure if it is a real upgrade. The Hz obviously is, but I'm worried about the image quality.

Are there any FS2333 owners that dare to make a comparison with the FG2421, image quality wise?

Back