Eizo Foris FG2421: 120hz VA Panel

Friend of mine bought this monitor and received it today. No big flaws like some have been getting , it looks really just incredibly impressive. The contrast is just simply amazing. The motion clarity is great in turbo mode.

I've only had a small amount of time with it but I think I'm going to risk it and buy one. I hope I get a good roll on the panel lottery.

What's the summary of the possible flows to look at when getting the FG2421?

-Clouding and discoloration on the sides (especially right side) with darker shades (not all black) is perhaps the biggest potential problem that may vary from panel to panel.

-Reds are on the pinkish side

-Gamma shift due to VA panel

-Turbo 240 can cause visible flickering on desktop and will degrade the image slightly.

Then there's the normal flaws like backlight bleed with an all black screen, and possible dead pixels. Some have also had units that shut down randomly.

-Clouding and discoloration on the sides (especially right side) with darker shades (not all black) is perhaps the biggest potential problem that may vary from panel to panel.

-Turbo 240 can cause visible flickering on desktop and will degrade the image slightly.

Then there's the normal flaws like backlight bleed with an all black screen, and possible dead pixels. Some have also had units that shut down randomly.

-Some rough cross hatching spots.

Bluesun, I should reiterate. I was asking if the review samples (not Vega's) were cherry-picked.

Yah, I didn't really mean it to sound that way. Honestly, I kind of think review samples are in general cherry picked. It doesn't really occur to me to expect that a company would just blindly send a unit to [H]ardOCP or anandtech without making sure it wasn't a stinker first. The only way that is guaranteed is when the reviewers go out and buy multiple retail versions, and I can't help but think of AMD when I say it doesn't always go well. And then, the practical side of me has to ask: what's the point of reviewing a bad unit other than you might get a picture of QC or design flaws? I'd rather have a review of a good example of whatever we're talking about, and that way I can make the decision to keep or send my unit back based on that comparison.

-Some rough cross hatching spots.

Thanks! I will bear that in mind when/if I decide to get one.

How do you turn on the 120hz mode on this monitor?
I have already gone into menu, color, advanced settings and turned on the Turbo 240hz mode on, however the max refresh rate I have available in the Nvidia control panel and windows screen resolution is 60hz for 1920x1080. Do I have to create a custom resolution or am I missing something?

Looks like I wasn't the only one looking to replace my trusty 2233RZ :D

My recommendation is that if you want to play lottery, play with the Korean monitors. If not, get the eizo 2336 if you can tolerate 60hz and want to play safe. Avoid this one.

How do you turn on the 120hz mode on this monitor?
I have already gone into menu, color, advanced settings and turned on the Turbo 240hz mode on, however the max refresh rate I have available in the Nvidia control panel and windows screen resolution is 60hz for 1920x1080. Do I have to create a custom resolution or am I missing something?

Make sure you are using the included dual link DVI cable or display port.

If you use displayport, go to nVidia control panel > Adjust desktop color settings > Check use nVidia settings to avoid everything looking washed out.

Damn this sucks, this seemed like the perfect monitor and I wanted to save up money for but after reading all the bad rep and QC problems I'm really apprehensive to dive in.

Is the input lag manageable? I'm a hardcore gamer and currently use a 2420T.

I've heard all this bad stuff about bright colors at the edge that have nothing to do with backlight bleeding. What is this exactly? Is this a QC problem or is this to do with the horizontal gamma shift on VA panels? I currently sit back from 28" on my 2420T and the TN gamma shift isn't that bad so how does this monitor compare?

My last concern is the cross hatching. I've heard this is a dealbreaker and I've heard other people don't notice it at all. Should I be concerned about this?

I am considering waiting a few months for any potential bad units to work their way out and for the QC to get a bit better.

Damn this sucks, this seemed like the perfect monitor and I wanted to save up money for but after reading all the bad rep and QC problems I'm really apprehensive to dive in.

I've heard all this bad stuff about bright colors at the edge that have nothing to do with backlight bleeding. What is this exactly? Is this a QC problem or is this to do with the horizontal gamma shift on VA panels? I currently sit back from 28" on my 2420T and the TN gamma shift isn't that bad so how does this monitor compare?

My last concern is the cross hatching. I've heard this is a dealbreaker and I've heard other people don't notice it at all. Should I be concerned about this?

I am considering waiting a few months for any potential bad units to work their way out and for the QC to get a bit better.

Buy one, try one and if it sucks send it back to Amazon. The quality of these monitors are so inconsistent no one can guarantee you anything. Not even Eizo.

I came from a 2420tx and couldn't live with the color/contrast/image clarity. If you are fine with it, then I wouldn't bother. The motion blur is slightly better using lightboost, but if you drop fps below the refresh for even a moment, it gets oddly choppy. The eizo doesn't, you could still enjoy a game even we'll below the refresh with turbo on or off. I don't have any problems with my eizo. It's very clear with pretty amazing colors.

Buy one, try one and if it sucks send it back to Amazon. The quality of these monitors are so inconsistent no one can guarantee you anything. Not even Eizo.

What makes it so maddening at this point is that Amazon is still 'Temporarily out of Stock.' This has been the case since the monitor was released with no end in sight. I truly wish they would get this in stock (I placed my ordered 2 weeks ago) so I could finally make a decision about it.

It will work fine with an AMD card. 240hz strobe backlight is a feature built into the monitor independant of video card driver software.

What makes it so maddening at this point is that Amazon is still 'Temporarily out of Stock.' This has been the case since the monitor was released with no end in sight. I truly wish they would get this in stock (I placed my ordered 2 weeks ago) so I could finally make a decision about it.

That might be not a coincidence with amazon return policy and the panel lottery in Eizo I'd not stock it too.

I was going to pull the plug on this one too, but I am going to hold up, ,maybe a new revision or something might change my mind.

I've been testing mine for a few days now. I can't see any cross-hatching but I do have some light bleed (mainly on the right side). It's mostly visible on dark grey scenes.

What's really bothering me though is some mad pixelation with dark colors. It might be related to the compression of the video but I don't have any of it with my old monitor.
Lowering black levels helps but to completely get rid of it I have to lower it to a point that blacks are crushed. Some pictures to illustrate:

FG2421:
rb9tly.jpg

B2401WS:
n31yz5.jpg

Also if it occurs on the right side of the scene where there is the most light bleed. I will get some green light bleed on top of pixelation:

FG2421:
2v81i6o.jpg

Do you guys experience the same thing in movies?

User1 mode
6500k (100,94,88)
Brightness 75
Contrast 50
Black level 50
Gamma 2.2
CE Off
Turbo Off

Last edited:
Maybe you could also try different connections - like dvi or displayport? And resetting the monitor settings every time you reconnect with the PC turned off?
I am going to buy this monitor tomorrow and your post bothers me a bit...

yea looks like it might be a gamma issue which is exaggerating the video encoding artifacts, but am not sure, as I don't have enough experience yet. You might want to look for some better reference material.

Wanna try an experiment? I just used Argyll CMS to create a gamma ramp that uncrushed my blacks without washing everything out. There's a small chance it might work for you.

Follow these steps (first, lower your black level to the point where the posterization disappears):

1: download argyllcms from here. Just extract it to any folder.

2: download this zip, and extract the two files into the \bin folder of your argyll installation directory.

3: in a command window, navigate to the \bin folder, and type: dispwin BT1886.cal

also try out the BT1886b.cal and compare results.

If you want to unload the correction ramp, type dispwin -c (or reboot).

Note that these are corrections that I made specific to my display, based on a profiling run with a colorimeter, so they'll adjust your colors too, as they adjust each channel independently. You probably don't want to use this as a permanent solution.

But, if the posterization issue disappears, then at least you know there's a potential solution, and you can then install a gamma ramp that applies corrections equally across the RGB channels.

Either way, however, your display should not be doing this natively (make sure you've exhausted all other possibilities by checking the OSD adjustments).

Last edited:
Looks like a source issue. Monitors just don't make video artifacts.

Thank you all for the help.

Switching from display port to DVI has no effect.

I'm aware that monitors don't make artifacts. Spacediver, you may be very right. It really looks like the monitor is exaggerating the video encoding artifacts. If I look very closely I can spot those artifacts on my B2403WS but they are very disturbing on the FG2421. (the photos of course exaggerate it a bit further though). It's like the FG2421 won't forgive any imperfections in a video.. pretty disappointing..

I followed your steps Spacediver with no success. Artifects are still as visible as previously. Also I may lower the black levels to reduce the effect in one frame but it will not be enough for another one. To a point where I have to lower it as low as 10 to almost get rid of all.

i realized a while after i made my post that u could have easily changed gamma using your video card display settings with the gamma slider (rather than go through the hassle of using my files).

So try this - turn brightness down until the artifacts disappear, and then turn gamma up as far as it will go without them reappearing. Does that fix it?

Last edited:
Video artifacts are much more apparent because the Eizo's contrast ratio destroys your other monitors. That is a good thing, not bad.

to be fair, the pics in the original post don't look like an issue of poor source quality being revealed by good contrast. It looks like severe backlight bleed washing out the lower ranges, and making what should be subtle shades of dark become splotchy messes.

Thank you all for the help.

Switching from display port to DVI has no effect.

I'm aware that monitors don't make artifacts. Spacediver, you may be very right. It really looks like the monitor is exaggerating the video encoding artifacts. If I look very closely I can spot those artifacts on my B2403WS but they are very disturbing on the FG2421. (the photos of course exaggerate it a bit further though). It's like the FG2421 won't forgive any imperfections in a video.. pretty disappointing..

I followed your steps Spacediver with no success. Artifects are still as visible as previously. Also I may lower the black levels to reduce the effect in one frame but it will not be enough for another one. To a point where I have to lower it as low as 10 to almost get rid of all.

Might sound daft but did you reboot after switching to DVI?

Got this display. The black color is perfect - not even a hint of bleeding anywhere with brightness set to 100%. The problem is bleeding on the right and left (probably less) sides, while displaying secondary colors. On the red - blue - green as well as black colors there is no bleeding. The center of the display is noticeably darker.
Aside from bleeding on the sides of the screen the image quality is significantly better than on the 2560x1440 catleap. In games (Skyrim, Crysis3) as well as images.
The monitor is very well factory calibrated - I don't feel the need to calibrate it. White is perfectly white.
My impressions after couple of hours of using it.

Got this display. The black color is perfect - not even a hint of bleeding anywhere with brightness set to 100%. The problem is bleeding on the right and left (probably less) sides, while displaying secondary colors. On the red - blue - green as well as black colors there is no bleeding. The center of the display is noticeably darker.
Aside from bleeding on the sides of the screen the image quality is significantly better than on the 2560x1440 catleap. In games (Skyrim, Crysis3) as well as images.
The monitor is very well factory calibrated - I don't feel the need to calibrate it. White is perfectly white.
My impressions after couple of hours of using it.

Sounds like a keeper then?

Curious of where you purchased it from.
Not in US.
Sounds like a keeper then?
There is a very unpleasant 1cm thick bright line along the left and right sides of the monitor that goes from top to bottom of the screen. I'm not sure if I can get used to it... You can't see it on the desktop, but it appears in games.
Everything looks crisp and clear and very colorful, but for those lines along the sides....

By the way when I just turned on the monitor - my desktop background looked kinda similar to what arc7 saw in his movie scene. Selecting the USER1 mode with 6500K 2.2gamma color settings and setting the color space to full srgb helped a lot.

Not in US.

There is a very unpleasant 1cm thick bright line along the left and right sides of the monitor that goes from top to bottom of the screen. I'm not sure if I can get used to it... You can't see it on the desktop, but it appears in games.
Everything looks crisp and clear and very colorful, but for those lines along the sides....

By the way when I just turned on the monitor - my desktop background looked kinda similar to what arc7 saw in his movie scene. Selecting the USER1 mode with 6500K 2.2gamma color settings and setting the color space to full srgb helped a lot.

Bummer. I don't know if I'd accept that from a monitor that costs as much either...

Back