Eizo Foris FG2421: 120hz VA Panel

Here's a bad phone shot of the kind of thing I mentioned in my last post: that glowy sheen on the off-center portion of the monitor. I could take a better one with a real camera and tripod but this conveys the effect pretty well.

Both the PVA panel (Samsung 191T+) to the left and the old S-PVA panel (Samsung 244T) the Eizo is replacing are much more consistent over their area. It seems similar to IPS glow to me.

Doesn't need a better picture really. You can clearly see the uniformity is really really bad.

I used my FG2421 for about 10 minutes and packed it up again. It's not worth the 500 Euros at all. The quality of this is what you would expect from a scrub brand and not EIZO.

I just bought the FG2421 as well. I tested all colours in the store (b,r,g + black background) and it seemed to be excellent. No backlight bleeding at all and uniformity seemed to be OK in the light conditions of the store. Once I fired up Battlefield 4 at home I noticed a very strong glow from the right side on dark (greyish) scenes.

My sample seems to be horrible in dark greyish scenes. Anyone else with this problem? Is this normal? The odd thing is that black is completely black on right edges and this only happens with grey. I am returning it today but I am afraid a 2nd unit will have this problem as well. Please not that this is not the input bug from Displayport to DVI. I had this bug and was able to get out of it.

On the link below you will find two pictures, scroll down to see the second picture as well.
http://pho.to/4BlId

Looking forward to your comments and opinions.

Settings during screenshot:

Brightness: 52 (lowering to 18 did not help enough to keep this unit!)
Black level: 50
Contrast: 50
Temperature: Off
Gamma: 2.2
240hz on/off did not help.

Return it and try another. Seems the right edge "issue" is kinda hit and miss.

But do they (EIZO) accept it on warranty or you can only send it to seller for replacement?

Return it and try another. Seems the right edge "issue" is kinda hit and miss.

I just returned my monitor. I will receive a new one by the end of the week as they were out of stock. I agreed with the store that I will get a full refund if the second unit is faulty as well. (The Netherlands)

But do they (EIZO) accept it on warranty or you can only send it to seller for replacement?

They have done but someone mentioned in the thread earlier on that Eizo are saying this is normal.

The severity differs from panel to panel. Stand your ground with them.

My first one I sent Eizo support an email w/ pictures asking if this was a normal condition or not. They processed mine as an RMA and sent a replacement after a few emails and a phone call. The second one still has edge glow but it looks improved to my eye.

First of all, I want to say that I love this monitor. However, the right edge is driving me crazy, especially when watching videos. Eizo wanted me to ship it to them for RMA, but I think I am just going to send it back and exchange it from the place I purchased it from. I've attached 3 pictures to show what I'm talking about. I've seen other people on here that seem to have the exact same problem.

Image_1.jpg

Image_2.jpg

Image_3.jpg

Reminds me of my ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz screen except for the bottom that was very bluish luminating, taking down the brightness to around 25 pretty much solved it though for me and to me it looks fine like that, colors are more natural to my eyes. For a 500€ display it's a bit disappointing though.

bjevers - try and make adjustments to brightness and gamma as suggested in this thread if you have not done so already. It might help but yours does look pretty noticeable. It helps to take a picture straight on as the gamma shift makes it look worse as well.

bjevers - try and make adjustments to brightness and gamma as suggested in this thread if you have not done so already. It might help but yours does look pretty noticeable. It helps to take a picture straight on as the gamma shift makes it look worse as well.

Yes, I've tried all the adjustments, I still see it. I'm pretty picky too, I purchased an ASUS VG248 before this and returned it because I couldn't stand it outside of gaming. I've had the monitor for 2 weeks now, thinking I might "get used to it", but I find myself distracted by the edge. I just realized my pics weren't straight on, but straight on it is just as bad.

BTW, my build date is 10-04 shipped from an Illinois warehouse.

I've decided to exchange it because I really do love this monitor otherwise.

OMG Bastard, that is like the largest picture posted to a message board, EVER. LOL.

Just got done stripping one of these bad boys down and custom mounting. There are two VESA holes which make is less problematic to mount. Took like three hours to get everything right.

1 down, 4 to go! :eek:

Hey Vega,

When you say "stripped", I am curious just how much you stripped the monitor down to... did you take the entire plastic bezel off?

That looks extremely distracting Dcode. Seems like EIZO quality control on this monitor leaves a lot to be desired. :eek:

That's what i experience in Dark games aswell.

It's 10 times worse than IPS Glow.

That looks exactly like the bugged mode.

Yup, I think there is something to that. I've noticed that when I turn my monitors off, the black background goes from the inky pitch black when it's on, to a super bright washed out back light when it says "entering power save mode". I wonder if peoples displays are somehow being forced/getting stuck in this really bad back light mode.

Dcode, how are you connecting to the screen? that doesnt look right at all? have you also tried restoring factory defaults from within the OSD menu?

That's what i experience in Dark games aswell.

It's 10 times worse than IPS Glow.

Only 10 times? For 500€ this monitor is a joke. I just can't accept those flaws for the price. If only all of them were so perfect like the center and right ones Vega shows in all those photos...

After the FG2421 fiasco I took the gamble and got myself a QNIX 2710, no dead pixels, no backlight bleed, no bullshit. Went straight to 120Hz, huge resolution, no trace of the weak red the Eizo has. I'm in love with it. Problems? IPS glow at certain angles of course, but it isn't any worse than my old TN. Blacks are almost equal to my old TN as well, so no complaints there. Motion blur was horrible at 60Hz, but at 120Hz I find it perfectly tolerable. But granted, those salivating over LightBoost and Turbo240 will find it bad. All of this for 310€ final price, with customs tax and everything included. Still got 190€ to spend in a graphics card upgrade, after the Eizo refund.

I was thinking about getting this monitor , especially since its on Newegg now but these quality control issues are very troubling.

Just wait till it is selling through Amazon... they have the best return policy on pretty much everything... if you buy one and it does have bleed through or whatever else you could come up with to complain about the monitor, they'll take it back no questions asked!

GG

Just realized I took those shots at 240Hz mode.

When I get home i'll have another look and take some more photos.

Its connected through displayport btw. The first one I tried both DVI and display port and both looked as shit as each other.

Last edited:
Just realized I took those shots at 240Hz mode.

When I get home i'll have another look and take some more photos.

Its connected through displayport btw. The first one I tried both DVI and display port and both looked as shit as each other.

it doesnt look right at all, all washed out. I'd recommend resettting factory settings on the monitor. also check your graphics card output in case it's doing anything funny with limited range (like restricting the RGB output like it does on HDMI).

Just sent one of these back, when watching dark movies or playing dark games(dead space 2) I noticed there was light coming through quite bad, from the side edges around 15mm,top to bottom. not sure if I want to chance another one
I read some where its a problem with the greys?
thanks

Over the classic backlight bleeding, someone ever had other problems with this models ?

How is FG like gaming smoothness compared to Benq or Asus ? A really gaming monitor or the VA tecnology shows some limits ?

It did have a bit more blur than the Samsung S23A750D and Asus VG248QE in standard 120 Hz mode, but this was negated by Turbo 240.

Imo the right side backlight bleed (or green tinge) seems to be the biggest quality control issue. Not really something you should see in a 550€ Eizo, and not something I would accept in any monitor.

it doesnt look right at all, all washed out. I'd recommend resettting factory settings on the monitor. also check your graphics card output in case it's doing anything funny with limited range (like restricting the RGB output like it does on HDMI).

Did a factory reset and it still looks like a crock of shit in that video.

However it seems VLC media player makes it look worse. I cannot play the same file in Windows media player but watching clips with similar shades it does not look half as bad.

If you have Nvidia gpu, remember to select full range from the driver video settings.

I was dead set on getting one of these but the quality control issues are beyond words.

I will wait after Eizo does a recall or something drastic (which I doubt they will) because this cannot be justified under any conditions.

Has Eizo responded to these complaints?

Last edited:
If you have Nvidia gpu, remember to select full range from the driver video settings.

Where exactly do i find this bud?

I was dead set on getting one of these but the quality control issues are beyond words.

I will wait after Eizo does a recall or something drastic (which I doubt they will) because this cannot be justified under any conditions.

Has Eizo responded to these complaints?

The representative said they could not replicate the problem people were having with regards to this and the UK has seen the most returns. Germany and Europe are less picky apparently. Also I was told us forum dwellers are too picky and likely can see issues that no one else can see and we "look out for these issues" more. I disagreed with him, and anyone here who has used this monitor knows how glaringly obvious these issues are.

With this monitor you have to accept these shortcomings as there is nothing out there like it at the moment or look somewhere else. This is what Eizo are basically saying.

The Eizo FG2421 is the Dell U2713HM/3014 of gaming monitors. They will continue to be very popular despite their "special," defects.

I wish I could see some of these but at these prices it isn't going to happen. And with all this complaining its just not worth the time to risk shipping and needing to return it. I suppose its bad timing with gsync coming soon and so many 4K sets. Just way too much to think about for most people to pull the trigger on a $650 gamble.

I think my FG2421 is now broken and is barely week old. :(

Started to get some extremely strange & annoying problem yesterday, Monitor just turns itself on/off randomly, screen goes black randomly and then few secs later the white eizo logo appears, so basicly it does same as when turning it on/off manually with power button. Almost like it resets itself or something, That has happened now 5-6 times yesterday, and allready twice today. There is no pattern when it happen, could do it in normal dekstop use/web browsing or while gaming.

Time to contact eizo support i guess.

Last edited:
I think my FG2421 is now broken and is barely week old. :(

Started to get some extremely strange & annoying problem yesterday, Monitor just turns itself on/off randomly, screen goes black randomly and then few secs later the white eizo logo appears, so basicly it does same as when turning it on/off manually with power button. Almost like it resets itself or something, That has happened now 5-6 times yesterday, and allready twice today. There is no pattern when it happen, could do it in normal dekstop use/web browsing or while gaming.

Time to contact eizo support i guess.

Sounds like it is dropping the VGA feed, check your video cable connection at both ends and see if it was loose. If that doesn't work substitute another cable and see if that corrects the issue.

If you want to simulate the problem then press the "Signal" on screen button and you will see that transition from a normal screen (VGA) to a black screen followed by the Eizo logo a few seconds later. It is for that reason why I am suspecting your cable.

I have this monitor and have spent a few weeks with it testing out several applications. I am posting here to share my experience. I love it.

Here is a photo of an all-black image taken with my Canon DSLR:

Settings on my camera are F2.8, ISO1600, 1/50. The photo is very representative to what it looks like in person. Blacks are fantastic.

My settings:

240Hz Turbo: ON
Brightness: 80
Black Level: 45
Gamma: 2.4
Dynamic Contrast: Standard
RGB: 100(R), 96(G), 98(B)

No dead/stuck pixels on my monitor. There is some crosshatching, but it does not distract me. I do get a slight green bleed on only the right side edge of the monitor, but only on certain mixture of colors, depending on what is showing on the monitor during a game or movie. I know others have this worse, but my monitor isn't as bad and I have found with my settings it has decreased it to where I don't notice it unless I really look for it. I found lowering the black level helps, and increasing the gamma from 2.2 standard to 2.4 and adjusting the RGB slightly.

I have this monitor and have spent a few weeks with it testing out several applications. I am posting here to share my experience. I love it.

Here is a photo of an all-black image taken with my Canon DSLR:

Settings on my camera are F2.8, ISO1600, 1/50. The photo is very representative to what it looks like in person. Blacks are fantastic.

My settings:

240Hz Turbo: ON
Brightness: 80
Black Level: 45
Gamma: 2.4
Dynamic Contrast: Standard
RGB: 100(R), 96(G), 98(B)

No dead/stuck pixels on my monitor. There is some crosshatching, but it does not distract me. I do get a slight green bleed on only the right side edge of the monitor, but only on certain mixture of colors, depending on what is showing on the monitor during a game or movie. I know others have this worse, but my monitor isn't as bad and I have found with my settings it has decreased it to where I don't notice it unless I really look for it. I found lowering the black level helps, and increasing the gamma from 2.2 standard to 2.4 and adjusting the RGB slightly.

EIZOs has the WOW effect!

Back