Eizo FlexScan EV2736W

I'ts too bright in the room now to check, but IIRC from last night, both bleed and glow are uniform looking on my panel. What you describe sounds like bleed to me, but I'll take your word for it. The thing is, I spent this $$$ specifically for a glow-free experience (and reasonable bleed) as described by TFTCentral in their review. There is no justification for an Eizo price tag on a Dell bargain basement experience. I cannot imagine that my monitor's glow is remotely similar to the unit reviewed by TFTCentral, because that would mean all those other PLS/IPS monitors they compared it to (none of which I have seen in a darkened room) would be unusable for anything but a vending machine. LOL

I may wait to hear your RMA results before going down that path myself.

Concerning your first question, yes, absolute color accuracy requires calibration hardware that I don't have. However, with some experience, patience, and test images of known quality, you can visually detect and tune out the most abhorrent errors. Further/fine tuning won't have any perceivable effect on glow.

This is my first monitor that I've gone through the trouble to QA/QC once I received it, so it's possible I could be wrong r.e. glow vs. bleed. My understanding is glow will change in intensity based on your viewing angle, while bleed won't. If I'm right, then it's definitely glow. If I look at the corner head on the glow disappears, but if I move my head back to center of the screen the glow is back, mocking me for spending $800 on a monitor that performs as well as the $450 alternative.

I will keep everyone updated on how my RMA process shakes out. I didn't send the monitor out until the 20th as B&H was on vacation until the 19th. It's going UPS ground from Alaska to NY so it's going to take a bit to get there. I imagine I won't have my second panel until the first week of November.

NCX: I didn't check the manufacture date on the unit I'm exchanging, but I'll definitely do that when I receive the next panel.

On another topic, someone slap me for considering trying out a gaming TN panel. I've not owned a TN panel before, so I don't know how much of a big deal the viewing angle restrictions/lackluster colors will be versus the heavy glow I experience on most IPS panels, which is really jarring to me now. My experience with the EV2736W has made me notice that same nasty fucking bottom left glow on my FS2333, but it's harder to notice because of the drastically smaller screen size. I game exclusively on my PC and have a Samsung 8000 series Plasma tv for console games and media.

This is my first monitor that I've gone through the trouble to QA/QC once I received it, so it's possible I could be wrong r.e. glow vs. bleed. My understanding is glow will change in intensity based on your viewing angle, while bleed won't. If I'm right, then it's definitely glow. If I look at the corner head on the glow disappears, but if I move my head back to center of the screen the glow is back, mocking me for spending $800 on a monitor that performs as well as the $450 alternative.

Exactly the same issue, I definitely don't think it's bleed.

6/4/2014, RIP Eizo.

Exact same mfr date on mine (2014-06-04).

Is there a (r)etailer that will (for a price) un-box and check a monitor for these issues before shipping it out? I already know that B&H won't, cuz I asked. At this point I figure it's worth $100 to me to not have this kind of stress. Of course that raises the question of whether said "tester" even knows what to look for, and whether you got your $100 worth of last-minute QC. *sigh*

Is there a (r)etailer that will (for a price) un-box and check a monitor for these issues before shipping it out? I already know that B&H won't, cuz I asked. At this point I figure it's worth $100 to me to not have this kind of stress. Of course that raises the question of whether said "tester" even knows what to look for, and whether you got your $100 worth of last-minute QC. *sigh*

I totally agree with the three of you! I wish some manufacturer made a display in the under $1,000 range that would have what we all want. Of course each of our needs are different. I don't game much anymore, most of my need is for an above average quality monitor that I can sit in front of for hours on end and perform system administration for a huge Oracle based system that serves about 4,000 users. I'm not sure what the detriment of a professional wide gamut display might be in my type of use.

I game exclusively (with a little web browsing in between) so while 120/144 Hz would be targeted to me I've no experience with it so I can't say what I'm missing out on. I don't need a monitor to watch movies or do office work on, I just want one easy on the eyes that looks great and is 1440P. Too bad the Eizo doesn't appear to meet those needs at it's price point.

Yup, that sounds like glow. Should I consider myself "lucky" that all my corners are uniformly f-ed up? That really would be a desperate grab for minuscule consolation. :rolleyes:

How does the glow compare to those photos that Nikyo and I posted? If your uniform glow is the same intensity as our bottom left corners, no I would not consider myself lucky. However, if your uniform glow is consistent with our OTHER corners, yes. If you aren't happy with the monitor at that level of glow I would just exchange for another model. I think this thread serves as a warning that that's the best its gonna get!

Buying displays is really just one big nightmare.

It's truly disgusting that we pay all of this money only to be sorely disappointed; backlight bleed, dead pixels, and now a manufacturing date panel lottery. The ride just does not end. I mean, we can't even get a break when buying TVs unless you want to put up with sub 200hz PWM on $2000+ electronics.

The Eizo CX271 looks like the last bastion of hope for a glow-free panel, but at $1300+ I doubt it's really worth it for most people.

The EV2736W interest is mostly my fault since I started hyping it, but I did not know about the panel lottery, especially since most of the people I recommended them to a few months ago received glow free panels.

The Eizo CX271 looks like the last bastion of hope for a glow-free panel, but at $1300+ I doubt it's really worth it for most people.

People are paying 1000$ for super glowy+overshooty 30" IPS, the LG 34UM95 and 1300$ for LG 34UC97Ss with glow in all 4 corners, a perceived black depth ruining frame-less bezel and 30% more lag. The CX271 is definitely worth it by comparison.

So the AOC q2770pqu is the last remaining and affordable 'maybe' glow-free ?

IIRC the models sold in Europe had the glow-free panel at some point, but what about current stocks ?

I highly doubt the AOC only uses glow free panels in Europe since they do not in North America.

I'll gladly sell my glow+96hz+PWM free Qnix for the same price as the EV2736W :) I only use it for text and comparisons in my reviews now. All media is played or watched on my glossy X-Star, though I would like to play Amnesia and Metro Last Light on a glow free panel in the dark with a bias light.

The EV2736W interest is mostly my fault since I started hyping it, but I did not know about the panel lottery, especially since most of the people I recommended them to a few months ago received glow free panels.

So the EV2736W is not the decisive buy anymore? What 1440p are worth buying then? I mean for around the same price bracket?

Last edited by a moderator:
So the AOC q2770pqu is the last remaining and affordable 'maybe' glow-free ?

IIRC the models sold in Europe had the glow-free panel at some point, but what about current stocks ?

Was there ever more than one report of it being glow-free?

So the EV2736W is not the decisive buy anymore? What 1440p are worth buying then? I mean for around the same price bracket?

Go here

Ignore everything that says EV2736W; the CX271 is the most 'affordable' glow-free monitor.

Sometimes it feels like the units lent to reviewers by name brands are hand-picked 'best' units not reflecting what the consumers will actually be buying.
Maybe that's not always the case, but if I was a reviewer with my own website or reputation to preserve, I would feel very uncomfortable.

Sometimes it feels like the units lent to reviewers by name brands are hand-picked 'best' units not reflecting what the consumers will actually be buying.
Maybe that's not always the case, but if I was a reviewer with my own website or reputation to preserve, I would feel very uncomfortable.

I don't know how prevalent receiving "cherry picked products" is these days. Up until three years or so ago I reviewed motherboards, gpus, cases, processors, memory, and the like for several different web sites. I had over 200 reviews published and can say quite comfortably that some of the products I received for review were not the same as my readers were purchasing. In some cases I noticed as much as a 15-20% or more improvement in my review sample and those my readers were purchasing.

Displays have always been more of a niche market when it comes to reviews. Thus the small number of sites and reviewers that specialize in this category. I quit reviewing products for several reasons but primarily: 1) I began to believe that many of the products I was reviewing were in that "cherry picked" category I referred to and thus not a true representation of what the masses were purchasing; 2) On a number of occasions the ownerf of the site I was working for asked me to do two very unethical things: a) Change the final score of certain brand named products to a higher one namely because the manufacturer was spending $$$ advertising on the site; b) The site owner asked me to write reviews in his name so that he could receive free products they wanted.

There were a number of other issues that are even worse than those mentioned above that finally led me to leave the review arena and try and regain my integrity. Let me state for the record that I have never been affiliated with Hard OCP, NCX, or other member reviewers here nor have I ever questioned their review practices or ethics.

In those days free products were the only remuneration a reviewer received for his/her work unless they worked for one of the top 2-3 review sites. A free GPU or motherboard is certainly not worth compromising your integrity for!

I went ahead and put in an exchange for a CX271 after attempting to parse through 2ch (I'm no N1 speaker). I didn't really get much out of it, there's more speculation than actual user reports.

It uses the same 18khz PWM as the CG277, which isn't really surprising considering all the CX/CG use pretty much the same PWM.

Regardless, I may do a mini-review in another thread since there's practically no information on the monitor; so, be on the lookout. If anyone has anything they want me to check for, go ahead and let me know.

@Paragon54: Oh God... :eek:

@Nikyo: if you have any means to check the lag, that would be awesome

Last edited:
I'm interested in lag reports as well. Thanks Nikyo! Are you going through B&H again?

I'll see if I can dig out an old CRT and try to find some makeshift way of doing input lag. No promises.

Yep, B&H has been great to me. I put in the RMA and received a response in 15 minutes. I'm actually kind of surprised they accepted it because I think I'm over 30 days according to the invoice; a testament to their customer service. I live on the east coast, so once I ship this out tomorrow, I should receive the CX271 shortly after (hopefully within the week).

There are lots of options

I received 2 or 3 confirmations earlier this year and I think there are 3 in this thread.

I don't know how prevalent receiving "cherry picked products" is these days.

3 of the 15+ monitors I've tested came from manufacturers. The rest came from stores or eBay in the case of Korean monitors, but my life would be easier if I could test and keep monitors from manufacturers since the retailers with good return policies in Canada have a very limited selection. Some people criticize me for buying and returning monitors, but manufacturers won't send them to me and I would rather test "retail/real," units, though most of the monitors I get are pixel issue and bleed free.

I'm interested in lag reports as well.

They CX & CG should be the same since the CG is the same monitor with a built in colorimeter. CG277=15.5ms according to PRAD which is good for a multi-input monitor, but the overdrive settings are mediocre (choose between slow pixel response times vs. competitors or fast pixel response times and obvious overshoot).

Last edited:
NCX ... Congrats! You are doing it the right way. It has always been my thought that where possible a review sample should be obtained from a retailer like New Egg, Amazon, B&H, and etc. I know it's more costly, but results will likely be much more representative as compared to what readers will experience.

I'm sure manufacturers could present the review sight with vouchers for several outlets and let the reviewer mix up where they obtain the sample from. The only exception would be for those brand new products where they haven't been released for sale to the general public.

I know it's a real hassle spending your own hard earned $$$ for the product, bu it certainly makes a reviewer's stock that much more credible with his/her readers!

Yep, B&H has been great to me. I put in the RMA and received a response in 15 minutes. I'm actually kind of surprised they accepted it because I think I'm over 30 days according to the invoice; a testament to their customer service. I live on the east coast, so once I ship this out tomorrow, I should receive the CX271 shortly after (hopefully within the week).

Haha...well, let's hope they continue to be good to me. I really hope this is just a placeholder date; everyone pray to the great monitor god in the sky for me (he's as real as any other).

BgiUFhk.png

I got my CX-241 yesterday and from what I can tell thus far it is extraordinary. I'd go as far to say that aside from the $10 - $15K monitors the Radiologists use at the hospital system where I work, this one is the best I've seen. So far all of the good from IPS and none of the bad. After calibrating it to standard sRGB the wide gamut over saturation is gone. The only negative is after several rounds of calibration to change to the sRGB the contrast ratio is only 650:1. There is likely something I can do to improve that as I'm very new to this level of calibration with a monitor. If I had found the CX-271 in the price range that you did I would have likely gotten it. When I looked at B&H and Amazon they were advertising a price closer to $1,600. I also really couldn't wait as my old display was on its way out.

I got my CX-241 yesterday and from what I can tell thus far it is extraordinary.

I understand this is one the few high-end Eizo featuring actual glow-free IPS with near-perfect color reproduction.

But what about response times, input lag, ratio control and interpolation quality ?
I couldn't find any review mentioning those as they all focus on picture quality and ergonomic features.

Richard unfortunately I don't possess the tools to test those things. Since gaming is not my primary goal most of those statistics aren't that important to me. My primary purpose for buying this monitor was to have a panel that was entirely glow free with no banding and i have it with this monitor. Nikyo will have the big brother to my display, the CX271 in a few weeks and he is planing on testing as much as his capabilities will allow him.

Man, I hope it's only a few days and not a few weeks. :(

Input lag will probably be a bust. It doesn't look like I'll be able to find a CRT, and it occurred to me that SMT Tool is still not selling new licenses.

I also kind of doubt it'll differ much in performance compared to the CG277.

The EV2736W interest is mostly my fault since I started hyping it, but I did not know about the panel lotter.....
Oh it ain't your fault. Some people may have followed your lead, but I had not even seen this discussion prior to the shock when my shiny new monitor lit up my room with glow. My purchase was based mostly on the reviews from TFTCentral and Prad, plus some limited personal experience with a couple other reviewed panels that I had seen in a store. I still think the early 2736 is the best thing going .... errrr .... went? :rolleyes:

B&H sent me an RMA label with zero hassle (so far). At this point it's just a return and I have no intent to buy another 2736 unless Eizo or B&H can guarantee me one of the glow-free variants.

Eizo has not responded to my inquiry about why newer stock is glowing, while older stock does not. Clearly they substituted some different components, but I doubt they'll own up to it.

I have not yet tried to contact TFTCentral to get them to publish an addendum, and I'm not even sure they'd listen. I think getting TFTCentral and Prad to publish updates is the best way to send a message to Eizo about the practice of substituting substandard parts after a good review has earned them praise/sales.

I received my EV2736W from B&H earlier this month. That panel was glow-free, but it had several dead pixels (four of which are in the center :(). The exchanged unit should be here on Friday, I'll let you guys know how that turn out.

I received my EV2736W from B&H earlier this month. That panel was glow-free, but it had several dead pixels (four of which are in the center :(). The exchanged unit should be here on Friday, I'll let you guys know how that turn out.

Did you by any chance record the manufacture date on your first panel?

Unfortunately, I did my RMA before I discovered this thread, so I didn't write down the manufacturing date.

As I stated in this thread I just purchased an Eizo CX-241. Once I decided that it was a keeper I went to both the Eizo global and their USA site to register the display in case I ever need warranty service. That's where the mystery begins, there is no registration process on either site. After searching I found their policy policy which basically says to contact their regional distributor or reseller. I guess I just keep the receipt as proof of purchase rather than registering the device.

With regard to the warranty the display actually has a use meter that measures in hours how long the device has been powered on. Eizo considers the life of the monitor to be 30,000 hours. They outline certain hour limitations for certain types of warranty services. In some case they also stipulate brightness and color temperature limitations. None of this sounds unreasonable, just different from what I am used to. Does anyone have any further information?

As I stated in this thread I just purchased an Eizo CX-241. Once I decided that it was a keeper I went to both the Eizo global and their USA site to register the display in case I ever need warranty service. That's where the mystery begins, there is no registration process on either site. After searching I found their policy policy which basically says to contact their regional distributor or reseller. I guess I just keep the receipt as proof of purchase rather than registering the device.

With regard to the warranty the display actually has a use meter that measures in hours how long the device has been powered on. Eizo considers the life of the monitor to be 30,000 hours. They outline certain hour limitations for certain types of warranty services. In some case they also stipulate brightness and color temperature limitations. None of this sounds unreasonable, just different from what I am used to. Does anyone have any further information?

I actually have never looked at their warranty. I've heard it's quite a nightmare of a service, however.

Oh, a question for you - when you calibrated your display, did you change the monitor preset mode to sRGB? The way you worded it, I assumed you just selected the sRGB gamut type in EasyPix and went on with the calibration. I ask because assuming the monitor isn't in it's sRGB preset, then you would've calibrated the wide gamut preset to sRGB specifications, and that may explain your poor contrast result.

Yes I changed the preset to sRGB. You will also find that the brightness isn't the same as you can extend it to 220. I've got mine set on 100 and it's equivalent to roughly 40 on a standard monitor.

@Paragon54: you know what ? Do it. Give'em a call and let them explain you how it works.
It's worth it IMO.

EIZO Inc.
Address:
5710 Warland Drive, Cypress, California 90630
Telephone:
(+1) 562 431 5011
Fax:
(+1) 562 431 4811

My replacement panel came in a couple days ago and sadly the glow is still present. It seems to be somewhat diminished than that of my first panel. No stuck pixels or obvious backlight bleed. I temporarily set up a incandescent bulb lamp behind the panel to help with the perceived glow until I can get a permanent LED light in place.

At this point I'm not sure what I want to do. The PQ is excellent, but then again the panel costs about $400 more than the Benq which by all accounts is very comparable in quality. I'm getting tired of playing the panel lottery, though, and might just keep this one and move on. Good thing I have a month to make up my mind!

I'll be very interested in how Nikyo likes the CX271 and how it compares to the EV2736W.

My replacement panel came in a couple days ago and sadly the glow is still present. It seems to be somewhat diminished than that of my first panel. No stuck pixels or obvious backlight bleed. I temporarily set up a incandescent bulb lamp behind the panel to help with the perceived glow until I can get a permanent LED light in place.

At this point I'm not sure what I want to do. The PQ is excellent, but then again the panel costs about $400 more than the Benq which by all accounts is very comparable in quality. I'm getting tired of playing the panel lottery, though, and might just keep this one and move on. Good thing I have a month to make up my mind!

I'll be very interested in how Nikyo likes the CX271 and how it compares to the EV2736W.

Well the CX271 is twice as expensive.

Looks at glow free Qnix being wasted as a secondary monitor for text, laughs maniacally :cool:

RNhXeam.png

Soon™

Forewarning: I'm actually a little busy this week and the following, so I'll more than likely be posting my impressions sometime next weekend at the earliest. It's likely better I let my thoughts incubate anyway; I really want to put it through it's paces gaming wise (also movies, can't forget those) so I can come to an assuasive conclusion for all the parties interested in this monitor.

Update: Received my monitor in utterly horrendous condition, filing a shipping damage claim with B&H; the damn thing shipped in the manufacturer's box. When I went to open it up, I noticed that it appeared to have been re-taped, and then, when I had actually gotten the thing open, the Color Navigator CD was sitting outside of it's case and the inside styrofoam had smashed in half. If all of this wasn't bad enough, there's extremely obvious clouding at the top left and bottom left areas of the monitor; $1400 monitor with backlight bleed, christ. Here we go again, filing my claim with B&H for a replacement.

I hate buying displays.

Back