E3 Rumors on Next Generation Console Hardware @ [H]

I wonder if Nintendo will modify their hardware to match the rumoured specs for the next XBox/PS systems (AMD APU). I mean, Nintendo's never been gung ho in terms of graphical prowess, but when the rumoured specs seem quite affordable, it would make sense for Nintendo to match it.

To answer your question about Nintendo modify to match specs with rumored next gen offerings from MS and Sony .. that would be a solid "no" :

http://www.forgetthebox.net/mag/culture/forum-m/rumor-wii-u-price.php

“Cutting production costs to maximize profits is Nintendo’s main concern with the Wii U. They are cutting costs in the Wii U’s hardware to build back confidence in investors. Nintendo wants investors to view Wii U as a less risky proposition. ”

As it stands it costs $180 to build the Wii-U (rumored) , the original Wii cost $158.30 (confirmed) to build out the door in Sept of 2006 , Nintendo was able to bring down manufacturing costs on the Wii significantly within the first year as well unlike the PS3 which cost more than it sold for and the 360 which also cost more than it sold for , each of them for years like this. You may be thinking "$11 roughly , isn't much difference" except that the original Wii wasn't built to compete graphically with the 360 and the PS3 , it was built around its brand new style of control. The Wii-U also has a different style (not entirely new the Dreamcast flirted with this kind of design , casually where Nintendo has opted to go "all in") controller but Nintendo is attempting to compete with next generation consoles on a graphical level which I personally don't think they'll be able to.

Nintendo going outside there comfort zone and I think that it'll be a mistake. The Wii-U is trying to hard to please too many groups of people , they should stick to their target audience as it worked so well for them last time and brought them out of the dreaded "Gamecube" years.

Last edited:
My friend found this on the Internet regarding the Playstation 4.

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2564/66019497913364665701335371811EYYTYMYO6t5DKeUrNGxF.JPG

Mirror in case it gets removed: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/589618/66019497913364665701335371811EYYTYMYO6t5DKeUrNGxF.JPG

It sounds really fake and really expensive when he showed it to me.

I've been trying to find the original source as it looks very fake to me.

However, let's amuse ourselves here. Let's say it's not a fake. The specs this picture purports is the following:
  • Next generation CELL "X" processor with 16 PPEs (cores in a traditional sense) at 3.2 GHz
  • Dual custom GK104 Keplers running at combined speed of 2 GHz (1 GHz per GPU) if going by the spec sheet at 22 nm. (A hint that it's a fake since GK104 is 28 nm, not 22 nm. No announcement or hint of a die shrink for GK104 in the first place.)
  • 10 GB XDR2 system RAM
  • 10 GB GDDR6 video RAM (GDDR6 isn't even out or announced by JEDEC so it's definitely a fake.)
  • Sony Aether GUI OS
  • 2160p capable output for video only. 1080p for standard HD video and 3D gaming content.
  • 11.1 channel audio output. (Again, another hint this is a fake. 11.1 systems are expensive. 7.1 seems to be more common/"affordable".)
  • Bluray discs for the games and includes BDXL support.
  • Controllers via Dual Shock 4 and 3, plus unannounced products such as PS Iris and Omni. Supported Sony tablets and the VIta are included as controller support as well.
  • Standard 250 GB/320 GB HDD included.
A lot of rumors still point towards an AMD-based GPU. One other rumor I've read is that Sony might abandon the CELL for costs reasons alone.

However, to humor everyone here, what do you think of the fake specs?

My friend found this on the Internet regarding the Playstation 4.

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2564/66019497913364665701335371811EYYTYMYO6t5DKeUrNGxF.JPG

Mirror in case it gets removed: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/589618/66019497913364665701335371811EYYTYMYO6t5DKeUrNGxF.JPG

It sounds really fake and really expensive when he showed it to me.

I've been trying to find the original source as it looks very fake to me.

However, let's amuse ourselves here. Let's say it's not a fake. The specs this picture purports is the following:
  • Next generation CELL "X" processor with 16 PPEs (cores in a traditional sense) at 3.2 GHz
  • Dual custom GK104 Keplers running at combined speed of 2 GHz (1 GHz per GPU) if going by the spec sheet at 22 nm. (A hint that it's a fake since GK104 is 28 nm, not 22 nm. No announcement or hint of a die shrink for GK104 in the first place.)
  • 10 GB XDR2 system RAM
  • 10 GB GDDR6 video RAM (GDDR6 isn't even out or announced by JEDEC so it's definitely a fake.)
  • Sony Aether GUI OS
  • 2160p capable output for video only. 1080p for standard HD video and 3D gaming content.
  • 11.1 channel audio output. (Again, another hint this is a fake. 11.1 systems are expensive. 7.1 seems to be more common/"affordable".)
  • Bluray discs for the games and includes BDXL support.
  • Controllers via Dual Shock 4 and 3, plus unannounced products such as PS Iris and Omni. Supported Sony tablets and the VIta are included as controller support as well.
  • Standard 250 GB/320 GB HDD included.
A lot of rumors still point towards an AMD-based GPU. One other rumor I've read is that Sony might abandon the CELL for costs reasons alone.

However, to humor everyone here, what do you think of the fake specs?

Surprised they didn't go whole hog and say it has a 2 TB hard drive standard.

Avoid at all costs! Iwata is a fucking horrible presenter and the whole thing is just painful.

He is wearing a nice suit, though.

It is nice to see Nintendo finally ramping up the online features of their console, it'll be interesting to see how they plan on keeping themselves 'family friendly' with the Miiverse. I like to imagine penis/boob drawings would be quite popular with a certain age demographic.

Anyone else think the next Xbox will not be named Xbox 720? That is branding suicide practically. With the way TVs are branded, they might as call it the Xbox NotFullHD.

Anyone else think the next Xbox will not be named Xbox 720? That is branding suicide practically. With the way TVs are branded, they might as call it the Xbox NotFullHD.

This Powerpoint slide says it may be the 720:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/92821757/XBox-720-9-24-Checkpoint-Draft-1#download

Mirror:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/589618/92821757-XBox-720-9-24-Checkpoint-Draft-1.pptx

Looks very legitimate. Friend found this and linked it to me, and now I share with you.

It's not like "360" branding was based on any sort of resolution, though. I get where you're coming from but you would think most people would be a little smarter than that.

11.1 channel audio output. (Again, another hint this is a fake. 11.1 systems are expensive. 7.1 seems to be more common/"affordable".)

Probably fake. However upgraded audio support would not surprise me as the PS3 was one of the best Blu-ray players available. It would stand to reason that the PS4 would also be a top of the line Blu-ray player.

As for the dual Keplers. That could also be possible I suppose using a laptop SLI setup.

Honestly I don't think any real information has been leaked on either the MS or Sony console. It is fun to speculate though.

For example if MS does move to ARM that would be interesting. Although not surprising as none of the consoles are currently x86.

Last edited:
That PS4 picture looks like BS. 12 channel audio? Who the hell even has that? SLI graphics? 20 total GB of RAM - get lost.

I think they do what everyone else is. IBM CPU + AMD GPU.

That PS4 picture looks like BS. 12 channel audio? Who the hell even has that? SLI graphics? 20 total GB of RAM - get lost.

I think they do what everyone else is. IBM CPU + AMD GPU.

You can get 12 channel audio receivers...you can get 64 channel ones, but theres next to nothing to play through it.

What is legitimately more likely is 22.2 audio. The upgrade to HD, UHD is supposed to hit in the next few years (2013/14 at the earliest). That might be what the console developers are waiting for. Would be pretty terrible to have a console and then it to seem shitty a year, or a few months later, especially if it adds a new connector (like when the xbox released without an HDMI plug). But the standard sound component of that is 24 channels. 12 channel audio isn't a major standard.

But those specs are silly.

Ready for more speculative specs to stare and question? (Heck, maybe laugh heartily?)

I bring to you the Playstation 4 speculative specs.

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-ps4-in-deep-first-specs/

I'm not sure if this has been posted previously given it's dated June 2012.

If going by the rumors that the next gen consoles are going to use an AMD GPU of some kind, then this looks believable.

However, we have no hard data on Steamroller. All we know is from Wikipedia and AMD's roadmap from 2011, and that it's pretty much a new architecture based on Bulldozer/Piledriver. My best guess, and again this is a best guess, is that if these specs are true, the console looks like it is going to use a Kaveri APU, the successor to Trinity, using Steamroller modules. The specs look believable but take it with a grain of salt. Maybe a grain the size of a VW Beetle.

Now, Kaveri APU is not expected to be out until 2013 at the earliest. This means if the upcoming PS4 is going to use this, we won't see this console until 2014 at the earliest, or just shortly after the next Xbox console is rumored to be released-- 2013.

Going by the rumors I have read so far, the next Xbox console is estimated to be released around late 2013 (Christmas 2013, maybe?). And, the console will use EXISTING technology if going by the rumors. That would actually allow the next Xbox console to release earlier and get a headstart before Sony does.

If Sony is going to indeed use an AMD APU based on Kaveri, then using a future tech means it won't be released until much later.

And... Nintendo WiiU specs based on the SDK:
http://www.vgleaks.com/world-premiere-wii-u-specs/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38732117&postcount=405

I was estimating at the very least a quad core processor based on E3 2011 and other rumors at that time. A triple core CPU puts it squarely at or above the 360's Xenon CPU in terms of performance. But, if it's a Power7-based CPU, I hope it still retains the 4-way SMT per core. That would beat the 360 and PS3 processors on multi-threading alone if that was kept. The PS3 would still retain the crown as the higher FPU performer among those consoles.

Last edited:
Here's the rumoured new PS3 iteration. IGN seems fairly confident it's the real deal. Can't really tell by the pictures, but it looks like it might sport a disc loading system like the original PSX (top pops open).

Also, 16 GB model (probably value priced to compete against the 4GB 360, which would be awesome if we can still just throw in our own HDD into it).

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/13/report-this-is-the-new-playstation-3-model

Here's the rumoured new PS3 iteration. IGN seems fairly confident it's the real deal. Can't really tell by the pictures, but it looks like it might sport a disc loading system like the original PSX (top pops open).

Also, 16 GB model (probably value priced to compete against the 4GB 360, which would be awesome if we can still just throw in our own HDD into it).

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/13/report-this-is-the-new-playstation-3-model

Looks pretty interesting, I would hope it got a die shrink though. I don't exactly trust either Sony or MS to know how to provide adequate cooling given the RROD and YLOD issues with their early gen units, and the heatsinks on the CECH-4011 are bound to be smaller, possibly the fan, too.

me too,
every pc gamer should be hoping for the most powerful hardware possible from sony and microsoft.

XBox 720 hardware Rumors/leaks:

"According to the poster, the Xbox 720 will feature a CPU with 8 cores, an AMD 8000-series GPU, 8GB RAM, and the Windows 8 kernel. The dev kit at the studio is also purported to contain a 640gb hard drive, which would make sense for a console heavily dependent on digital downloads. "

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...x-720-hardware-specs-leaked-features-8-cores/

Xbox 720 Specs: Eight-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, Windows 8 Kernel?

"Treat this with a grain of salt obviously, as nothing is confirmed yet. However, these are times when insiders can leak out information for a variety of reasons. E3 2013 will be held on June 13, so not long to go before Microsoft finally unveils the system to the world."

http://www.gamechup.com/xbox-720-specs-eight-core-cpu-8-gb-ram-windows-8-kernel/

When will XBox start using an SSD or hybrid - especially now that SATA Express at 16g/ps is coming out this year? According to the above the new XBox 720 will still be using an old school HD at 6g/ps.

Last edited:
XBox 720 hardware Rumors/leaks:

"According to the poster, the Xbox 720 will feature a CPU with 8 cores, an AMD 8000-series GPU, 8GB RAM, and the Windows 8 kernel. The dev kit at the studio is also purported to contain a 640gb hard drive, which would make sense for a console heavily dependent on digital downloads. "

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...x-720-hardware-specs-leaked-features-8-cores/

Xbox 720 Specs: Eight-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, Windows 8 Kernel?

"Treat this with a grain of salt obviously, as nothing is confirmed yet. However, these are times when insiders can leak out information for a variety of reasons. E3 2013 will be held on June 13, so not long to go before Microsoft finally unveils the system to the world."

http://www.gamechup.com/xbox-720-specs-eight-core-cpu-8-gb-ram-windows-8-kernel/

When will XBox start using an SSD or hybrid - especially now that SATA Express at 16g/ps is coming out this year? According to the above the new XBox 720 will still be using an old school HD at 6g/ps.

Both those articles are based on the same rumors. I doubt it is true, but one could hope. But 640gb? That's a weird number for their hard drive. I can believe the Win8 kernal, they're trying to shove that down our throats so it would make sense.

I doubt we'll see SSD/Hybrids right away, maybe as an purchasable accessory (where Microsoft makes most of their money). The only thing that yields to the rumors being at least partially true is that the console is going to need to produce graphics at 1080p. This is not an easy feat if you want it to look good and not be outdated right out of the box. I can see a struggling AMD woo-ing the console makers (Sony/MS) by offering up the 8000 series at near-cost levels just to steal the market from nVidia. It's a huge contract, it'll help their other GPU products by allowing the production to get ramped up quickly and produce better yields. Remember, just because it says "8000 series" doesn't make it the flagship. It could be the 8350 (or whatever).

Last edited:
im willing to bet ms and sony have (had) 2-3 different hardware scheme specs to be released. moderate and extreme performing hardware.

like every past generation of console gaming, both have been pretty much equal in terms of performance and graphics. I guess it'll be up the the first company to release what specs they plan to use ie "moderate or extreme", then the following company will use their moderate or extreme specs for equal competition.
because its obvious neither ms or sony wanna leave a huge marginal gap between porting and game creation. that'll increase development costs for everyone. hence why this generation and previous gen consoles have always been about the same performance.

i would expect sony to go all out on hardware considering 4k tvs are around the corner.

hmm.. need to read up some on 4k. anybody have good links on it?
Sony is rumored to support 4k output (4k is huge in Japan). Keep in mind 4k output doesn't mean 4k resolution games, it just means the output will natively support 4k (and more important, scaling of UI elements).

im willing to bet ms and sony have (had) 2-3 different hardware scheme specs to be released. moderate and extreme performing hardware.

like every past generation of console gaming, both have been pretty much equal in terms of performance and graphics. I guess it'll be up the the first company to release what specs they plan to use ie "moderate or extreme", then the following company will use their moderate or extreme specs for equal competition.
because its obvious neither ms or sony wanna leave a huge marginal gap between porting and game creation. that'll increase development costs for everyone. hence why this generation and previous gen consoles have always been about the same performance.

i would expect sony to go all out on hardware considering 4k tvs are around the corner.

The PS1 and N64 were on equal footing with the PS1 getting the edge in storage and the N64 having some unique abilities (expandable ram, pretty potent praphics processor overall)

the PS2 was without a doubt inferior to both a GameCube and origianl Xbox. It was only when the 360 and PS3 were released were the consoles overall on equal footing with the edge going to 360 in the graphics department.

To answer your question about Nintendo modify to match specs with rumored next gen offerings from MS and Sony .. that would be a solid "no" :

http://www.forgetthebox.net/mag/culture/forum-m/rumor-wii-u-price.php

As it stands it costs $180 to build the Wii-U (rumored) , the original Wii cost $158.30 (confirmed) to build out the door in Sept of 2006 , Nintendo was able to bring down manufacturing costs on the Wii significantly within the first year as well unlike the PS3 which cost more than it sold for and the 360 which also cost more than it sold for , each of them for years like this. You may be thinking "$11 roughly , isn't much difference" except that the original Wii wasn't built to compete graphically with the 360 and the PS3 , it was built around its brand new style of control. The Wii-U also has a different style (not entirely new the Dreamcast flirted with this kind of design , casually where Nintendo has opted to go "all in") controller but Nintendo is attempting to compete with next generation consoles on a graphical level which I personally don't think they'll be able to.

Nintendo going outside there comfort zone and I think that it'll be a mistake. The Wii-U is trying to hard to please too many groups of people , they should stick to their target audience as it worked so well for them last time and brought them out of the dreaded "Gamecube" years.

Since the sale of 1 software tile make the system profitable, they are already making a profit. They have sold more software titles than consoles

I have to wonder though if they are really making a loss on the lower spec'd unit as it costs $50 more for the deluxe and that only gives you a charge cradle and 24GB more flash. Those two things together cannot cost more than $5...

Is the Xperia design team involved with the PS4's design? Should look good if so.

I would assume next gen consoles are good for PC gamers? New engines for developers to play with? Not to mention a slew of new games? Except for the ones exclusive to consoles.

I would assume next gen consoles are good for PC gamers? New engines for developers to play with? Not to mention a slew of new games? Except for the ones exclusive to consoles.

Console exclusives are getting harder and harder to find. Hell, anything I was interested on the Xbox One is also available on PC, so that's where I'm thinking of going.

Nobody cares.

Bli$$ard made a card game for smartphones this year.

Wow. This shows how often I check the Console forum as I just found a thread I have had stickied since 2011. My apologies.

Back