Dying Light 2

About half of the map locations are hollows/stores which are generic loot pinatas for crafting mats.
Nearly all of the location types are copy pasted. You explore one, you've explored them all. This is why you didn't want to complete it.

I've not crafted a single thing in ~30 hours except weapon mods. All the other consumables I've used have come from corpses and other containers, mostly because you have to loot zombie tokens so all the other loot comes with it. You can earn most crafting materials by 'sleep scumming' vendors, and buying out their stock, same as the first game.
All of my weapons have come from vendors (also same as the first game).

Contrast this to DL1 where I crafted literally thousands of items. Plus, materials were more organically distributed in the environment. Small hospitals had medical supplies, police stations had stuff you use for weapons. Plants grew all over the map in areas that made sense. In DL2 the plants are just found in rooftop gardens, in fact basically nothing grows on the ground at all (this is explained in a sidequest, but ok).

So I have no desire to loot anything in DL2 since it's all useless.

Harran felt like an actual city that was taken over by zombies, so it was fun to explore. I'm talking mostly about the slums though, Old Town was pretty dull.
Villedor feels like a fake city that was created to be a zombie playground. It's not interesting to explore. And there's nothing interesting to find in it.

Survival skill tree is completely removed. Out of the remaining combat/parkour trees I only found 4 or 5 abilities actually useful, the other 20-30 are useless to me. The level cap is 9 which makes progression feel slower.

Howlers replace Volatiles at night, are a cheap way to initiate chases. Howlers are evenly placed on the roads, like a grid, which makes it obvious a game developer chose to spread them out that way. It makes sure you always have to check for Howlers on the street before you cross. You will never see more than 1 Howler standing within visible range of each other, you'll also never go more than like 50 feet without seeing a Howler. The mechanic is also trash... Volatiles patrolled, followed you, made noise. It was dynamic... You had to be aware of their positions at all times. Howlers stand still, do nothing, screech and alert the horde, they don't follow you. It's boring.

I could go on for hours. They took everything that made DL1 great and either removed it, or kept it and made it worse somehow. It's still a good game but I'd rather just play the first again.

Last edited:
I've not crafted a single thing in ~30 hours except weapon mods. All the other consumables I've used have come from corpses and other containers, mostly because you have to loot zombie tokens so all the other loot comes with it. You can earn most crafting materials by 'sleep scumming' vendors, and buying out their stock, same as the first game.
All of my weapons have come from vendors (also same as the first game).
You're missing out if you haven't crafted anything. A maxed out resistance + stamina booster makes you practically invincible. Elemental arrows are also insanely powerful. There is no weapon crafting in DL2 outside of easter eggs.
Contrast this to DL1 where I crafted literally thousands of items. Plus, materials were more organically distributed in the environment. Small hospitals had medical supplies, police stations had stuff you use for weapons. Plants grew all over the map in areas that made sense. In DL2 the plants are just found in rooftop gardens, in fact basically nothing grows on the ground at all (this is explained in a sidequest, but ok).

So I have no desire to loot anything in DL2 since it's all useless.
It's the same way in DL2, they just made it obvious with what kind of place gives you what type of resources (Dark Hollow = valuables, Forsaken Store = crafting parts that are different depending on type of store, Military and Evacuation Convoys = rare valuables and gear, GRE Quarantine Building = inhibitors and rare crafting parts). With as much emphasis the game puts on farming resources, it is confusing that rooftop groves don't get marked on the map when you find them. Their resources are the only way to craft certain things like immunity boosters.
Harran felt like an actual city that was taken over by zombies, so it was fun to explore. I'm talking mostly about the slums though, Old Town was pretty dull.
Villedor feels like a fake city that was created to be a zombie playground. It's not interesting to explore. And there's nothing interesting to find in it.
Villedor is just the beginning area. The Central Loop is a proper city that is expansive and fun to explore. It was designed obviously designed with the paraglider in mind. I would agree that Harran had more character, though. The dichotomy between the Slums and Old Town was quite the contrast. The separation of classes is still there in DL2, but it didn't feel as impactful.
Survival skill tree is completely removed. Out of the remaining combat/parkour trees I only found 4 or 5 abilities actually useful, the other 20-30 are useless to me. The level cap is 9 which makes progression feel slower.
Most of the perks in the Combat tree I never use, but I can't think of one Parkour perk I'd be able to live without. Player rank caps at 9. Combat and Parkour both cap at 25 like the skill trees in DL1, and level up in the same manner.
Howlers replace Volatiles at night, are a cheap way to initiate chases. Howlers are evenly placed on the roads, like a grid, which makes it obvious a game developer chose to spread them out that way. It makes sure you always have to check for Howlers on the street before you cross. You will never see more than 1 Howler standing within visible range of each other, you'll also never go more than like 50 feet without seeing a Howler. The mechanic is also trash... Volatiles patrolled, followed you, made noise. It was dynamic... You had to be aware of their positions at all times. Howlers stand still, do nothing, screech and alert the horde, they don't follow you. It's boring.

I could go on for hours, hours, hours. This game is a mess. They took everything that made DL1 great and either removed it, or kept it and made it worse somehow. It's still a good game but I'd rather just play the first again.
Howlers will wander slowly toward you if you're in the vicinity and making noise, but they won't go out of their patrol zone. One issue I have in DL2 is there will be random volatiles wandering around at night, and you're given no indication that they're around. I'll be happily running and jumping around when all of the sudden I'd get killed out of nowhere by a random volatile. It is a poorly thought out response to people saying how much better the nights were in DL1. Howlers are good for one thing: initiating chases to farm zombie trophies.

Howlers will wander slowly toward you if you're in the vicinity and making noise, but they won't go out of their patrol zone. One issue I have in DL2 is there will be random volatiles wandering around at night, and you're given no indication that they're around. I'll be happily running and jumping around when all of the sudden I'd get killed out of nowhere by a random volatile. It is a poorly thought out response to people saying how much better the nights were in DL1. Howlers are good for one thing: initiating chases to farm zombie trophies.

Yeah, early in the game they were truly scary, but later in the game once you've leveled up your character, and got some good weapons and armor/clothing items chases were boring. Like you could just stand there and kill everything until the night ends.

And I played it on "Hard".

I think that is one of the critiques I have when it comes to this game. Even on hard, you are never really forced to learn all the special combat abilities and parkour abilities to make it. Once you level up you can just stand there and casually bash things until they die, and just apply a medkit every now and then.

Even tough bosses didn't really require getting fancy.

Still, I didn't mind the story. It was fun.

I do agree, there was a lot of copy and paste in the games. I remember exploring tall buildings and being like "wait a minute, I've been here before". Nope. This is just the exact same penthouse swimming pool as in that other building.

And the fact that they reused identical lines for multiple different voice actors to record for NPC's was just immersion breaking. I mean, damn, they paid all of the voice actors. Thats the expensive part. Rather than having them all read the same 5-10 lines, just write more lines. Writing lines is cheap. Hearing the verbatim line about how biter blood cures pimples spoken by 5 vastly different voices over and over again was just dumb.

I think this was one of the things that helped Cyberpunk feel alive. There was plenty of NPC chatter when you were out and about, but it never felt repetitive, and certainly never had the exact same line, with the exact same timing read by 5 different voices. High pitched female, lower pitched female, grovely white male, grovely black male, and higher pitched younger male.

Still, it was fun, and I enjoyed it. Just not as much as other recent titles in the "open world FPS with RPG elements" genre.

Yeah, early in the game they were truly scary, but later in the game once you've leveled up your character, and got some good weapons and armor/clothing items chases were boring. Like you could just stand there and kill everything until the night ends.

And I played it on "Hard".

I think that is one of the critiques I have when it comes to this game. Even on hard, you are never really forced to learn all the special combat abilities and parkour abilities to make it. Once you level up you can just stand there and casually bash things until they die, and just apply a medkit every now and then.

Even tough bosses didn't really require getting fancy.

Still, I didn't mind the story. It was fun.

I do agree, there was a lot of copy and paste in the games. I remember exploring tall buildings and being like "wait a minute, I've been here before". Nope. This is just the exact same penthouse swimming pool as in that other building.

And the fact that they reusde identical lines for multiple different voice actors to record for NPC's was just immersion breaking. I mean, damn, they paid all of the voice actors. Thats the expensive part. Rather than having them all read the same 5-10 lines, just write more lines. Writing lines is cheap. Hearing the verbatim line about how biter blood cures pimples spoken by 5 vastly different voices over and over again was just dumb.

I think this was one of the things that helped Cyberpunk feel alive. There was plenty of NPC chatter when you were out and about, but it never felt repetitive, and certainly never had the exact same line, with the exact same timing read by 5 different voices. High pitched female, lower pitched female, grovely white male, grovely black male, and higher pitched younger male.

Still, it was fun, and I enjoyed it. Just not as much as other recent titles in the "open world FPS with RPG elements" genre.
Yeah, one of the most disappointing things for me was finding out that all the GRE Quarantine Buildings were essentially the same. I think it was you who mentioned that they were all unique in the first game, which made them fun to explore. In DL2 I'm always thinking, great, I have to go through this slog again to get more inhibitors.

Yeah, one of the most disappointing things for me was finding out that all the GRE Quarantine Buildings were essentially the same. I think it was you who mentioned that they were all unique in the first game, which made them fun to explore. In DL2 I'm always thinking, great, I have to go through this slog again to get more inhibitors.

I don't think that was me. I honestly don't remember a whole lot from the first game, other than that I enjoyed it. I remember one GRE facility on the bridge was particularly fun in the first game though.

In DL2 I did the two in old Villedor, and then didn't do anymore.

I was already leveled up with enough inhibitors to be level 6 when the story quests were suggesting I be level 3 or above to continue, so I didn't feel like going through the copy and paste again. The first one was fun, the second one was not.

Same with GRE anomalies. After two or so they ceased to be fun. There may have been 12 in total. I don't think I did more than 3-4 The Revenants weren't even that difficult to defeat.

I don't mean to sound like I am dissing the game too much. I have definitely played much worse games, and overall this one gets a positive from me because I was able to play it for 70 hours and still have fun with it, but by mid to late game I found little reason to continue the grind in order to find more loot or more inhibitors.

I had already leveled way beyond where I needed to be to continue the story missions, and was jumping all over the place with tens of thousands of "old world money" that I wasn't using. I'm not opposed to some grindy titles, if the grinding is actually interesting, but in this case the copy and paste nature of it just wasn't.

The game was fun enough for me to spend 70 hours in. I just didn't want to spend anymore, and unlike other titles, I didn't regret the story being over when it was. I was ready to quit. Decent game, just not a great game like the first one was.

I'm expecting the DL2 expansion (due in late 2023) to tie in with the ending to DL1...maybe a Kyle Crane crossover story...do they ever say which ending in DL1 The Following is the canon ending?

I'm expecting the DL2 expansion (due in late 2023) to tie in with the ending to DL1...maybe a Kyle Crane crossover story...do they ever say which ending in DL1 The Following is the canon ending?

I might have to replay the first one if that is the case, as my recollection is pretty poor.

Might have something to do with the fact that I used to enjoy tasty beverages while gaming. :p

I don't do that anymore. I felt like it started to get a little unhealthy during the pandemic, so I decided to stop. (I'm not a tea totaler by any means, but now I reserve it for when I go out)

I have to say, this change in habits has resulted in me having higher standards when it comes to games. Gaming stone cold sober requires better writing or the suspense of disbelieve requirement becomes too big to overcome.

Might also help explain why recently most games have felt too easy to me.

Last edited:
I might have to replay the first one if that is the case, as my recollection is pretty poor

I recently finished playing DL1 for the first time so everything is fresh in my mind...it's a bad ending for Kyle either way...

in the 1st ending he turns into a Volatile and gets out of the Quarantine Zone and presumably spreads the virus...in the 2nd ending Kyle nukes Harran and he and everyone else dies

Last edited:
The opening movie of DL2 shows Harran still standing in ruins, so I would assume the ending where Kyle is turned into a volatile is canon.

1677588242616.png

I played DL1 for 72 hours and loved basically every minute of it. I'm about 17 hours into DL2, and it just doesn't have IT for me. Way too many reused assets.

I'm giving up on this one. I have tried really hard to like it, but it just isn't happening.

I'm giving up on this one. I have tried really hard to like it, but it just isn't happening.
I just powered through the storyline, but the side missions or just exploring for fun were not fun.

Does Matchmaking work with randoms in this game? Thinking of picking it up since it has a pretty good sale.

Does Matchmaking work with randoms in this game? Thinking of picking it up since it has a pretty good sale.

I forgot there was even a multiplayer component in this game.

I don't know why you would want to play with other people though. It's really a single player story type of game.

Edit:

Huh. Apparently there is a four player coop mode. Never tried it.

I forgot there was even a multiplayer component in this game.

I don't know why you would want to play with other people though. It's really a single player story type of game.

Edit:

Huh. Apparently there is a four player coop mode. Never tried it.
Just like the first game.

Just like the first game.

I never did any multiplayer in that one either :p

I don't even see how that would be a value add feature for a game like this.

But what do I know. To me playing games is what I do to get away from people. Not something I do to be social.

At least these days (it was different back in my Counter-Strike days)

I totally understand multiplayer competitive games, but I don't get why they add multiplayer component to titles like these that are primarily single player story driven. Same thing with Deus Ex Mankind Divided, etc. etc. it feels like a pointless bolt-on just so they can tell investors "we have multiplayer!" :p

Last edited:
I never did any multiplayer in that one either :p

I don't even see how that would be a value add feature for a game like this.

But what do I know. To me playing games is what I do to get away from people. Not something I do to be social.

At least these days (it was different back in my Counter-Strike days)

I totally understand multiplayer competitive games, but I don't get why they add multiplayer component to titles like these that are primarily single player story driven. Same thing with Deus Ex Mankind Divided, etc. etc. it feels like a pointless bolt-on just so they can tell investors "we have multiplayer!" :p
The first game at least has emergent gameplay experiences that can make the coop a lot of fun. Also, if you're looking at maxing out your legendary level, coop is the only effective way to do it with how experience scales. The Bozak Horde is also generally fun when you get a full group together, though that is not part of the campaign. I have not tried it in this game, but it seems like it would be fun with how large the city is.

I just finished playing Dying Light 1 a few weeks ago and was all set to jump straight into Dying Light 2 but their next big update coming on April 20th sounds like a major one so I'm going to wait until then...

Dying Light 2 director Tymon Smektala popped up during the most recent Future Games Show, revealing that the game’s next update, coming on April 20th, will revamp the game’s combat, add gear transmog, new tools for the modding community, and more

“Our next major game update will include significant improvements to our combat system, that will be even more brutal, physical, and rewarding for our players. And that's not all. Along with adding new game features and enhancements, players will no longer have to worry about choosing between style or stats with our new gear transmog system”

In addition to the upcoming free update, Techland also teased their next paid story DLC...we don’t have a name for the expansion yet, but it’s apparently coming later this year, and will be “worth the wait”...

Last edited:
Game is trash. Lots of bugs with quests disappearing constantly. And you can get locked out of quests if you progress too far without warning. The problem is "side quests" are not optional, you need them to level up unless you want to be killed in two hits. So the game has issues loading them yet forces you to progress the story and miss them forever. You can be halfway through a side quest, stop back at a hub and then get locked out of that side quest forever with no warning.

Also, no save system. So when the game crashes you have to repeat 20-45 minutes of gameplay. And it does not ever save progress so it will just approximate what you did. How a game in 2022 can't figure out a save system is utterly pathetic. It was clearly intentional. Whoever decided not to implement a save system needs their teeth knocked out and then set on fire. Fuck them.

It is essentially impossible to complete this game in its current state. Maybe a mod will un-fuck this mess and allow you to play any quest at any time, because the developers are too lazy to fix bugs and instead release paid DLC.

Last edited:
Don't use mods, if the game stops working they will blame it on the mod(s) and tell you to completely Uninstall steam and all games to fix.

Dying Light 2- Exclusive 'Gut Feeling' Update Trailer

Featuring major combat and physics improvements, Dying Light 2 Gut Feeling introduces bloody new ways to dismember the limbs of foes, gear transmog, a new weapon crafting system, and the Viral Rush event, which runs from April 20 to May 4...the update also launches with the new Pilgrim Outpost, where players can track community events, activate bounties, and receive Pilgrim tokens

Dying Light 2's Gut Feeling update arrives on April 20th...

Featuring major combat and physics improvements, Dying Light 2 Gut Feeling introduces bloody new ways to dismember the limbs of foes, gear transmog, a new weapon crafting system, and the Viral Rush event, which runs from April 20 to May 4...the update also launches with the new Pilgrim Outpost, where players can track community events, activate bounties, and receive Pilgrim tokens

Dying Light 2's Gut Feeling update arrives on April 20th...

new Update (1.10.0) is now available...tons of improvements and new features...seems like the longer I wait to play this game, the better it gets...

https://dyinglightgame.com/news/update-1-10-0/

I've been waiting for the June update...now I can finally start the game...the June update improves the parkour and more importantly makes changes to the Nighttime which hopefully brings it closer to the first game where it was much more risky and challenging going out at night

Patch 1.11 released (major update)

PC | XBOX | PS

Good Night– Night changes

The day and night cycle has always been a fundamental element in the Dying Light series, introducing both visual and, more importantly, gameplay changes to our zombie-infested world. In this update, we aimed to enhance the nighttime aspect of this unique feature by introducing heightened tension, horror, and the presence of roaming Volatiles. To achieve this, we are implementing a series of modifications,
• Ensuring that the night has a heavy, almost horror-like feel.
• A new color grading called “Darker Nights” reduces player visibility exponentially, making your experience more terrifying.
• Updated flashlight rendering that creates more dynamic shadows and better corresponds to the darker environment.
• Improved audio gameplay solidifies the nocturnal atmosphere. Music takes a backseat to sound effects.
• HUD improvements support an immersive nighttime experience.
• Volatiles roam across the rooftops, ensuring you will never feel safe at night.
• The night population of zombies have been reworked to create more unexpected moments while exploring both streets and building interiors
• Chase sequences are less arcade-like and more unpredictable.

Good Luck– Parkour changes

With the initial release of Dying Light 2, we managed to make the complex mechanics of parkour accessible to all players. However, we cannot ignore the voices of real traceurs like you, who desire fewer assists, more physicality, better control, and less hand-holding. In response, we have introduced a new set of parkour settings called ‘Physical’ specifically designed to cater to seasoned veterans of Dying Light 1 and new Pilgrims who want to experience the real deal when traversing The City.
• Several animations have been improved to reduce floatiness.
• Personalize your sprinting experience with the option to switch between auto and manual mode, giving you complete control over how you sprint in the game.
• Keep your momentum while performing a series of parkour moves.
• Regain air control in mid-flight, allowing for reactive maneuvers.
• Added variety of vault animations.
• Tweaked afterboost mechanics now allow for its use after a number of parkour moves, with improved responsiveness and a balanced duration and cooldown.
• Accelerate down ziplines and during pipe slides for a thrilling descent.
• Bid farewell to ghost walking; wall run and roll animations halt when reaching the end of a surface.
• Enjoy smoother wall running with improved starting animations.
• Improved jumping, active landing, and balancing animations.
• Elevator and landing bags animations are sped-up.
• The active landing skill can be performed while paragliding – safety landings!
• Head-bob animation is adjustable in the settings, allowing players to increase camera movement while running. A new default value is set to 50.
• Car safety landing animation duration shortened, and VFX feedback improved.
• We’ve refined gameplay mechanics for the following skills, enhancing their overall feeling: Slide Jump, Bash, Crown Runner, Sleek Runner.

On top of those changes, we are introducing improved parkour actions and animations, and two main options that you can pick. To change between those, head to the Game sub-menu in Options.
• Assisted Parkour: Perfect for beginners, maintaining the original Dying Light 2 experience.
• Physical Parkour: Enable this setting for a grounded, physical, and intense journey. A more grounded and ruthless experience. The ability to disable “jump magnets” for more authentic gameplay.

As a cherry-on-top, we’re introducing the ability to slide down billboards with a knife, giving you more immersive gameplay

Enhanced Graphics:

Experience a series of graphical improvements, including a new graphics option on PC: SSR Ultra (Screen Space Reflections – Ultra setting).
SSR Ultra dramatically enhances the drawing distance of reflections, immersing you in a more realistic and detailed world.
LOD range multiplier being extended from 100 to 140 for Quality and RT presets.

• Immerse yourself in the nostalgia of Kyle Crane’s era with a new color grading option called “Harran Sunset”.
• Unleash your inner yeet-master with the ability to throw weapons and retrieve them later.
• Enjoy improved UI changes at the beginning and end of the Dynamic Challenges.
• An additional menu option to auto-skip opening movies on PC, saving you time and getting you into the action faster.
• Preserve your unique character aesthetic by hiding your helmet using the new transmog options, allowing you to flaunt your signature Dying Drip

full patch notes at the link below...
https://pilgrimoutpost.techlandgg.com/news/update-1-11

so the game up until the latest patch did not have roaming Volatiles at night?...I understand the reasoning behind it as Techland has stated that most players did not venture out at night in the first game but it's still crazy to remove that feature altogether

so the game up until the latest patch did not have roaming Volatiles at night?...I understand the reasoning behind it as Techland has stated that most players did not venture out at night in the first game but it's still crazy to remove that feature altogether
Volatiles only appeared in a few preset locations and also at max rank chases. They did not patrol or move at all really.
Also nights were really bright, the new patch makes those darker too apparently.

Night in DL2 was a total joke. It was free 2x experience.

Volatiles only appeared in a few preset locations and also at max rank chases. They did not patrol or move at all really.
Also nights were really bright, the new patch makes those darker too apparently.

the difference between day and night was one of the best parts of the original...the new patch makes nighttime much darker but only if you enable the new 'Darker Nights' color grading...I'm not sure why they didn't just make that the default...they also added a new SSR Ultra setting and increased LOD...I'm glad I waited to start playing this...sounds like DL2 is now much closer to the original game

Patch 1.11 released (major update)

PC | XBOX | PS

Good Night– Night changes

The day and night cycle has always been a fundamental element in the Dying Light series, introducing both visual and, more importantly, gameplay changes to our zombie-infested world. In this update, we aimed to enhance the nighttime aspect of this unique feature by introducing heightened tension, horror, and the presence of roaming Volatiles. To achieve this, we are implementing a series of modifications,
• Ensuring that the night has a heavy, almost horror-like feel.
• A new color grading called “Darker Nights” reduces player visibility exponentially, making your experience more terrifying.
• Updated flashlight rendering that creates more dynamic shadows and better corresponds to the darker environment.
• Improved audio gameplay solidifies the nocturnal atmosphere. Music takes a backseat to sound effects.
• HUD improvements support an immersive nighttime experience.
• Volatiles roam across the rooftops, ensuring you will never feel safe at night.
• The night population of zombies have been reworked to create more unexpected moments while exploring both streets and building interiors
• Chase sequences are less arcade-like and more unpredictable.

Good Luck– Parkour changes

With the initial release of Dying Light 2, we managed to make the complex mechanics of parkour accessible to all players. However, we cannot ignore the voices of real traceurs like you, who desire fewer assists, more physicality, better control, and less hand-holding. In response, we have introduced a new set of parkour settings called ‘Physical’ specifically designed to cater to seasoned veterans of Dying Light 1 and new Pilgrims who want to experience the real deal when traversing The City.
• Several animations have been improved to reduce floatiness.
• Personalize your sprinting experience with the option to switch between auto and manual mode, giving you complete control over how you sprint in the game.
• Keep your momentum while performing a series of parkour moves.
• Regain air control in mid-flight, allowing for reactive maneuvers.
• Added variety of vault animations.
• Tweaked afterboost mechanics now allow for its use after a number of parkour moves, with improved responsiveness and a balanced duration and cooldown.
• Accelerate down ziplines and during pipe slides for a thrilling descent.
• Bid farewell to ghost walking; wall run and roll animations halt when reaching the end of a surface.
• Enjoy smoother wall running with improved starting animations.
• Improved jumping, active landing, and balancing animations.
• Elevator and landing bags animations are sped-up.
• The active landing skill can be performed while paragliding – safety landings!
• Head-bob animation is adjustable in the settings, allowing players to increase camera movement while running. A new default value is set to 50.
• Car safety landing animation duration shortened, and VFX feedback improved.
• We’ve refined gameplay mechanics for the following skills, enhancing their overall feeling: Slide Jump, Bash, Crown Runner, Sleek Runner.

On top of those changes, we are introducing improved parkour actions and animations, and two main options that you can pick. To change between those, head to the Game sub-menu in Options.
• Assisted Parkour: Perfect for beginners, maintaining the original Dying Light 2 experience.
• Physical Parkour: Enable this setting for a grounded, physical, and intense journey. A more grounded and ruthless experience. The ability to disable “jump magnets” for more authentic gameplay.

As a cherry-on-top, we’re introducing the ability to slide down billboards with a knife, giving you more immersive gameplay

Enhanced Graphics:

Experience a series of graphical improvements, including a new graphics option on PC: SSR Ultra (Screen Space Reflections – Ultra setting).
SSR Ultra dramatically enhances the drawing distance of reflections, immersing you in a more realistic and detailed world.
LOD range multiplier being extended from 100 to 140 for Quality and RT presets.

• Immerse yourself in the nostalgia of Kyle Crane’s era with a new color grading option called “Harran Sunset”.
• Unleash your inner yeet-master with the ability to throw weapons and retrieve them later.
• Enjoy improved UI changes at the beginning and end of the Dynamic Challenges.
• An additional menu option to auto-skip opening movies on PC, saving you time and getting you into the action faster.
• Preserve your unique character aesthetic by hiding your helmet using the new transmog options, allowing you to flaunt your signature Dying Drip

full patch notes at the link below...
https://pilgrimoutpost.techlandgg.com/news/update-1-11
Still no HDR. This is a huge oversight, especially with the option to make nights darker. Auto HDR in Windows 11 works okay, but I'm afraid it won't work well with the new optional color grading at night.
Now that volatiles are patrolling, I hope they remove howlers. Such a dumb mechanic.
I disagree. With the reliance on needing rare materials, initiating chases where it is advantageous to the player is the only way to effectively farm them in this game. Removing the howlers would make the game miserable to play.

Yes, it was annoying that they made the nights brighter just because the data showed the majority of players in the first game actively avoided playing during the night. I guess making the extreme dark optional is a good compromise. I'll have to see what "heavy, almost horror-like feel" means without the new color grading option.

One of the earlier patches added random volatiles at night regardless of your chase rank in a misguided attempt to address a common criticism. The issue was that they didn't show up on your radar on Normal, and they didn't make the signature sounds they did in the first game. So you'd be happily running along the roofs of the city and just randomly get 2-shotted by a volatile without seeing or hearing them coming. It happened to me many times.

But I do agree with the free XP point. I switched from usually trying to avoid the night when I started playing the first game to only playing at night in the second game, though I switched around in the first game after I became more experienced with it. I just hated that the length of nights in the first game were tied to the game difficulty, so if you played on normal the nights were over before you could even get started farming loot and XP for the early game.

But I do agree with the free XP point. I switched from usually trying to avoid the night when I started playing the first game to only playing at night in the second game, though I switched around in the first game after I became more experienced with it. I just hated that the length of nights in the first game were tied to the game difficulty, so if you played on normal the nights were over before you could even get started farming loot and XP for the early game.

yeah night was too short in the first game...in the Following expansion it seemed even shorter with the tweaked Volatile nest missions

I like the update. Volatiles On The Roof, in addition to being a great musical, is a nice addition to night play in a series based upon "night is really scary".

I don't want to see how many hours me and my son have put in on this and DL1, but I will say - those have been fun hours.

Played some of the update, and I really like the "darker nights" color grading. It seems to work well with Auto HDR. It isn't dark for the sake of being dark. It feels like how walking outside in an area with little to no light pollution after your eyes have adjusted. Combined with the new parkour and combat systems, it feels more like the first game. This is the way it should have been at release, but better late than never. I want to start a whole new playthrough now.

Started a new playthrough. Seems like they messed up something, or the balance is just way off. If you try to enter a dark zone at night, half a dozen volatiles will still be prowling around, making it nearly impossible to go diving into them. This also affects the side and story quests where you're required to go into a dark zone. Seems like another hotfix is needed.

Anyway, here are a few screenshots of the night during the prologue. This were taken at 4K, but I guess they're being compressed by the forum software.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human Screenshot 2023.07.06 - 18.33.41.27.png

Dying Light 2 Stay Human Screenshot 2023.07.06 - 18.35.30.15.png

Dying Light 2 Stay Human Screenshot 2023.07.06 - 18.36.21.49.png

New nvidia driver adds rbar profile.

Additionally, this Game Ready Driver supports a Resizable BAR profile for Dying Light 2: Stay Human to further improve performance.

Back